Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 197
One of the weakest genres on the system, I'm afraid.

Beyond kart racers (The Wii has several decent ones including the excellent Mario Kart Wii, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing which was good, and NASCAR Kart Racing that was average), the selection is pitiful.

We're looking at games that largely range from horrible (Mini Desktop Racing) to mediocre (Indianapolis 500 Legends) to games that are average at best (The various Need for Speeds, for an example, are mostly serviceable although far from spectacular).

Ignoring the kart racers, DRiiFT Mania was a fun WiiWare arcade racer reminiscent of lots of classic overhead arcade racers (Sort of like Motorstorm RC for the Vita and PS3), Excitetruck and Excitebots are fun 1st party arcade racers that are well liked (And Excitebike: World Rally on WiiWare looks fun, but I've yet to try it), and there are perhaps a handful of other examples worth playing (TrackMania Wii looks promising, but I've yet to play it).

If we include the kart racing subgenre, Mario Kart Wii easily wins. If we ignore that area, nothing really stands out above the rest. Easily 90% of the racers on the system are horrible. One of the weakest genres on the system.

At least most Wii's have GCN compatibility. The genre, while weak compared to the competition, was much better represented on the GameCube than it has been on the Wii. There are perhaps a dozen racers on the Wii that aren't F material, and most of those don't get out of the C range.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
mario kart wii

kind of obvious, sorry
but it's really fun. I like steering with the controller held sideways

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #4 of 11 Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 AM

Liked: 10
there isn't any racing game made by Nintendo that can beat Mario Kart...
post #5 of 11 Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
ExciteTruck and ExciteBots are way underrated and some of the most fun racers I've ever played on any system.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-06-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

ExciteTruck and ExciteBots are way underrated and some of the most fun racers I've ever played on any system.

Agreed - Excitebots is whacked out fun.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #7 of 11 Old 03-09-2012, 10:41 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

mario kart wii

kind of obvious, sorry
but it's really fun. I like steering with the controller held sideways

I'm not a fan of holding the controller sideways. I just recently learned that you can use the classic controller or the gamecube controller for traditional analog controls. The problem with the sideway controls is that it's not very precise.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-09-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker View Post

I'm not a fan of holding the controller sideways. I just recently learned that you can use the classic controller or the gamecube controller for traditional analog controls. The problem with the sideway controls is that it's not very precise.

Mario Kart Wii is great with my Wavebird. Beyond a session or two with motion controls and at least once with a Classic Controller, my 50 hours or so with that game have all been with my GCN Wavebird wireless controller.

About the only thing that perhaps doesn't work as well this way are tricks. But you quickly adapt to hitting up on the d-pad and I think it's actually more reliable this way than snapping the Wiimote upwards to perform one. So if it's a problem, it's a small one and easily worth putting up with in favor of otherwise superior (At least for my taste) control.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-12-2012, 05:50 AM

Liked: 10
my favorite racing game is contra.............................. :-)
whats your opinion
??

Play best shooting games online for free. Play your favorite shooting game here.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-12-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker View Post

While you do have to flick the Wiimote for wheelies/tricks (or shake it to avoid the worst of an opponent's POW block), I personally find the Wiimote/nunchuk combo the best control option in MK Wii for me.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #11 of 11 Old 03-12-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Thought I'd add some suggestions to this thread.

There are several nice racing games via GCN compatibility and the Virtual Console that are available to play on the Nintendo Wii.

On the Virtual Console, I recall enjoying Enduro Racer on the Sega Master System quite a bit (I'd rate it about a B). And Victory Road for the Turbografx-16 is playable but doesn't get out of the C territory (But if you enjoy old sprite scaling racers like Outrun, the Lotus series, the Top Gear series, and such, it's worth a look). And of course Excitebike, Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, Wave Race 64, F-Zero, and F-Zero X are available and all are widely considered excellent games.

On the GCN side for racers that I've enjoyed quite a bit, we have an excellent F-Zero release in F-Zero GX (Although it feels more like a Sega arcade racer than a F-Zero game to me, it was developed by Sega's arcade division and that pedigree is obvious throughout), Wave Race Blue Storm (Nice game although the more realistic physics detracted from it compared to the N64 classic), and Mario Kart Double Dash (One of my least favorite entries in the MK series, but still a nice game). And I enjoyed 18 Wheeler (A nice Sega arcade racer familiar to arcade fans from back around 2000 and many Dreamcast fans), NASCAR Dirt to Daytona (My favorite console NASCAR game), and Rally Championship (A bit plain, but a nice game and the best rally racer available on the GCN or Wii).

And there are several early entries in the Burnout series available. I recall renting and enjoying one of them (Only own Burnout Paradise for the 360, a series all about crashing never really appealed to me much so I've largely ignored them, but they're popular and well done and rate a mention).
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page