Nintendo Backlog: or "How far behind are YOU?" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Inspired by darklordjames' great End of Wii's lifecycle thread and the recent old school NES questions, I started to think about just how many Nintendo games I have in my backlog... So I did some digging through the many game storage spaces in and about Zen Manor; turns out not only do I have a video game hoarding problem but I don't think there's going to be a time in my future when I WON'T have a Nintendo console game waiting in my backlog.

Counting Nintendo-platform only games (i.e. not counting multiplatform releases like Madden, but do include non-Nintendo published titles like Rogue Leader) I've got a Ninty historical backlog of 113 games unfinished, just staring at me in eternal wait. The breakdown is:

NES: 11
Gameboy & GBA: 35
SNES: 10
N64: 16
Gamecube:15
Wii: 26

Thank goodness I never (well, haven't) picked up a DS. I'm probably not going to collect any more NES/GB/GBA games, but there's always a chance I'll happen into another SNES or N64 game here and there, plus I've got a couple more Wii games and harder to find GCN games I'd still like to pick up (anyone selling Twin Snakes PM me!)... So I ask, AVS'ers:

Anyone else here have a Nintendo Museum? It's probably a good thing to get it out in the open, to talk about it... because I'm pretty damn sure I'll never actually finish it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Wow is that just the backlog of games you haven't played? How many games do you own?

"Museum" is right. You should open one. What's the estimated worth of your collection?
post #3 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
I cheered when I finally beat Metal Storm, easily the hardest NES game around. Then the game slaps you with this fun fact, you just beat easy mode, here is hard mode k thanks, die.

I still have several NES games and probably 100 handheld titles I need to finish... My console list is actually rather short, probably about 25 titles max. I was a hardcore Nintendo fan for the longest time and really never built up a backlog until I bought a PS2 in late 2003.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 AM

Liked: 93
I held on to far too many games for far too long, but these days I actually have a relatively trim collection. "Relatively" is the key word there though, as the games that I haven't finished that are staring at me numbers in to the hundreds. Thankfully a lot of those are iOS and Steam games, so they take up bits but not physical space.

Going with just Nintendo games? Well, I only own four NES games, Dragon Warrior 1-4. I have finished those. I no longer own any SNES games at all, nor N64.

GBA: 9
NDS: 25
NGC: 8
Wii: 15
3DS: 3

My PS3 set is very small with few uncompleted. My 360 set is large with a surprising number that have been completed, but still there's like 50 games there waiting to be played.

Of the Nintendo games, I really only feel bad about putting Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 down half way through. Most of the others are games that I saw enough of to know what the game was about and didn't feel the need to complete it. I do that a lot. In gaming I am primarily concerned with seeing what is new and evolved in each title. Once I get the feeling that I have seen everything that a title has to offer, I tend to move on. Roughly 5% of what I touch is good enough to actually see through to the end. Only 0.5% is good enough to explore exceptionally thoroughly, like Xenoblade and Oblivion. That 95% still gives me something interesting to see most of the time though. Thankfully, I rarely buy stuff on day one anymore, and usually grab things 3-6 months later off Amazon for $20-25 new.

Man, Oblivion. Now there is a game that if ported to the Wii could have done some really interesting things with waggle. Maybe we'll see Skyrim on Wii Ni.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Man, I thought it was nuts when I had like, four games in my backlog late last year, which is by far my record. I don't like having a pile of unplayed games sitting there, because then it starts feeling like homework. I don't know how you guys stand it. I like to focus on one game at a time, beat it, and sell it/trade it, so other than when an irresistible bargain comes along I almost never have a backlog. I'm not very sentimental either, so I've only hung on to about 5-6 PS3 games, maybe 10 Wii games, 5 DS games, 3 GC games. I rarely get the urge to replay stuff, for whatever reason.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
I like to collect games that way if I ever get the urge to replay something I don't have to hunt it down and pay high prices if it is rare.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I like to collect games that way if I ever get the urge to replay something I don't have to hunt it down and pay high prices if it is rare.

ditto... I'm not one to get rid of games, even the bad ones. I'm kinda on the fence about a lot of titles right now though, I may have to sell some to keep my sanity... my current inventory is rapidly approaching 300, mostly old school games that I got for cheap either long after release or loooooong after the console was cool. I remember buying some SNES games for $1 each in 2001, which was a welcome departure from the $60 I spent on them new, but bad for my backlog. Other than maybe 3-4 games, I bet everything I own is essentially worth $0.10... but from a sentimental and collection standpoint, they're priceless. Well, priceless to me. Some of these games are almost a time capsule back to specific moments from childhood (or second, third and now fourth childhood, as I vehemently refuse to "grow out" of gaming)

I posted the thread when I noticed that, of the games I have in the back catalog, the majority are Nintendo... which is a direct correlation to only owning N consoles for years, but still amazing that they were able to continually pick my pocket for 25+ years now...

I only got into the old Sega consoles recently, but man, those games were great for their time, too. I bought a Dreamcast when they were new but never explored the Genesis/Mega Drive era stuff. I also picked up a PSP Go, and man, that thing is amazing.... I even converted all my old PS1 games and play them almost solely handheld, which did even more terrible things to my backlog but great things for my frequent flying downtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

In gaming I am primarily concerned with seeing what is new and evolved in each title. Once I get the feeling that I have seen everything that a title has to offer, I tend to move on. Roughly 5% of what I touch is good enough to actually see through to the end. Only 0.5% is good enough to explore exceptionally thoroughly, like Xenoblade and Oblivion. That 95% still gives me something interesting to see most of the time though. Thankfully, I rarely buy stuff on day one anymore, and usually grab things 3-6 months later off Amazon for $20-25 new.

That's exactly my problem... And when I've dropped <$10 on a game, not finishing it isn't a problem. It also hurts that a lot of modern games have gotten longer and longer to finish, all the while the old games seem harder and harder comparatively. I bet if I played NES Contra for the first time today I'd never finish it... but because I first played it years ago I've beaten it probably 100+ times, and the difficulty is all but lost on me.

Having said that, I've never come CLOSE to finishing Ninja Gaiden.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I have a huge backlog of games from the dawn of reprogrammable consoles to the present day. Easily half of my 150 or so North American PS2 games have never been in my console once for the most significant part of that backlog. Although I've been working on rectifying that. I think I've bought three games so far this year for example.

Been working through my fairly modest DS collection lately and have cleared a good bit of the backlog of that system (Own 25 games or so for it). I've wrapped up a half dozen or so over the last few months. Now I only have a few games on the DS needing more attention at this point in my current collection. The last 1/3 or so of Phantom Hourglass once I figure out what the heck to do next since it's been sitting idle for a while and I've long since forgotten, all of Spirit Tracks, all of Kirby Super Star, and the last 90% or so of Yoshi's Island DS are left to wrap up.

Then maybe I'll consider picking up some other DS games (The only things I've added in recent years to it has been Intellivision Lives, Atari Classics Volume 1, and Atari Classics Volume 2; pick up and play classic compilations that you don't complete).
post #9 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
In recent times I've tried to keep my backlog down and my collection trim. Was starting to collect games and then feel like I just need to rush through them to complete them, even it I wasn't entirely enjoying it. The less than stellar games were diluting the collection on my shelf and my ever dwindling game time. If its not incredibly well executed or unique, it no longer makes the cut.

One thing I'd love to see is remakes of older titles, with modern sensibilities - not just graphics. Get rid of archaic ideas like limited lives/tries, constant repetition, basically all the filler and time wasters older games had just to stretch the playtime out. Get to the essence of what made the games great without all the baggage.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #10 of 11 Old 04-23-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Forgot about another DS game in my backlog, Metroid Prime Hunters.

Popped that in last night and again tried to get into it but just couldn't. As best as I can tell, I made a complete circle last night and ended up back at my ship where I started out from. I wasn't sure what to do next and gave up again since I wasn't having fun. Thought changing the controls to eliminate the touch screen might help (And it did), but I just don't like this game. Maybe on a big screen with more polished graphics and dual analog control I could stomach through it. But not on the DS with its low res screens, touch screen functions for activating your scanner and such, and having to use ABXY to aim.

Didn't even intend on buying this in the first place since I hated the freebie demo card they were giving out with the purchase of a DS early in the system's life. But I bought Metroid Prime Pinball one day used at GameStop (My first mistake) and didn't get around to it for a few months. And when I did, I discovered they had stuck this game in the case by mistake...

I'm a Metroid fan, but I think this part of the series will remain unfinished. On to Kirby Super Star Ultra now. All's not lost though since having it at least keeps my Metroid collection complete (Although I have a feeling this game is a bootleg and isn't even a legitimate copy, the front label is slightly askew while every other DS game I own has a label that appears perfectly placed).
post #11 of 11 Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Edit - Ignore this, I posted it in the wrong thread.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page