Which first party Wii U game announcement are you hoping for most? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 05-03-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 148
For me, it would be a HD remake of either Super Mario World or Link to the Past. Actually, come to think of it, I'd love it if Nintendo really got into the whole HD remake thing. They could do it with all their big Super Nintendo games. Super Metroid HD remake... anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-03-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Not that I wouldn't want an HD remake here or there, but man, if I can pick any project for them to announce it's certainly going to be an original installment over a remake.
post #3 of 29 Old 05-03-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
If they do any HD remakes, I hope they do it to recent console Zelda games. Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword all look amazing in Dolphin emulator screenshots and would make for an amazing package.

For announcements we all expect, the first HD Zelda game is what I'm waiting for. Too bad with Skyward Sword being only a few months old that the wait is going to be a long one.

But perhaps that will give them some incentive to do what I said in my first paragraph to tide gamers over.
post #4 of 29 Old 05-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I think HD remakes of pixel games is kind of a weird idea.

I'd really rather see some new games that don't have any of the normal nintendo characters in them. They dug pretty deep to pick out that kid icarus sequel and it didn't really do them any good. Some new games and faces would be welcome.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #5 of 29 Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

I think HD remakes of pixel games is kind of a weird idea.

Well, I'm talking about more than just porting the game and uprezzing the graphics. I'm talking about almost re-imagining what Super Mario World could be like. Basically, giving Super Mario World the Rayman Origins treatment.

Quote:

Some new games and faces would be welcome.

This is Nintendo we're talking about here, don't get greedy!
post #6 of 29 Old 05-05-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
I love the idea of a Zelda HD collection (but knowing Nintendo, I expect seperate releases for each of them should they do it), and the HD sprite based reimagining of snes classic would be interesting as well. (see ff4 on psp for another example) Nintendo needs to blow people away with the Wii U launch and some HD remakes of classic GCN and Wii titles would be a quick and easy way to tide people over until the new games are finished.

Personally, I can't wait to see what Monolith Soft does with the new hardware, what they did with Xenoblade was simply increadible.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #7 of 29 Old 05-05-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

While they've done a few such things over the years (The Super Mario All-Stars release with upgraded versions of their NES platformers comes to mind), I just don't see them remaking classics for their new console.

I imagine the most we can hope for where upgrades are concerned is for a few obvious choices from the GCN/Wii generations to recieve a HD rerelease like Sony in particular has been doing a lot of lately. The Metroid Prime trilogy, their last three main console Zelda games, and the two Super Mario Galaxy releases (With Sunshine perhaps tossed in) seem like obvious candidates (Or at least ones I'd get behind ). And with how well their New Play Control lineup was recieved, I wouldn't even count on that.

And all their talk when it does come to really upgrading and reimagining their classics seems to center around the 3DS. Remakes like Ocarina of Time recieved (There seems to be a strong push from fans to give Majora's Mask a similar release and some interest from higher up in Nintendo), giving older games like Link to the Past the 3D treatment for their 3D Classics lineup on the 3DS, etc.

I'd be surprised on the Wii U to see any content recieve a significant upgrade from consoles like the Super Nintendo. My money is on any significant upgrading of classics to be the domain of their new handheld while the Virtual Console service is carried directly over to the Wii U from the Wii with emulated versions of classic games and the existing programs and lineup kept intact from the Wii and running via Wii U's backwards compatibility (And hopefully an option to upscale the emulators to HD even though I really doubt they will considering Wii software won't be upscaled and I bet they'll be the exact same emulation programs).

And I bet that's what they're going to do with their GCN and Wii catalogs as well. Sell them digitally in their shop running unchanged via the console's BC with the Wii. Hoping for more in that area like I said earlier in this message, but not expecting it.
post #8 of 29 Old 05-05-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Nintendo started the rerelease trend themselves. (first with the OoT Master Quest preorder offer, not counting the all stars snes releases) They expanded the idea with the New Play Control series. Sony tried it with an HD spin and hit a homerun so no doubt Nintendo will do some HD repacks.

I really want Wind Waker HD at launch, it would make me stand in line for a Wii U.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #9 of 29 Old 05-05-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Nintendo has been heavily rereleasing their content for years. And I'm sure that will continue into the future in both the console and handheld worlds.

What they haven't done much of is remakes. The list is pretty short of full fledged remakes. Off the top of my head, we have Super Mario All-Stars on the Super Nintendo, Metroid Zero Mission for the GBA, Ocarina of Time 3D on the 3DS, and a few of the 3D Classics rereleases on the 3DS have been upgraded significantly (Like Excitebike, although some of the others didn't get much of an upgrade beyond 3D support). And Japan got several NES remakes via the Satilliteview add-on for the SuperNes back in the day that gave 8 bit classics a 16 bit rerelease (Including the original Zelda). And I'm sure there are some other odds and ends. But in general, rereleases of Nintendo software are generally straight rereleases or with just a bit of enhancing to better adapt the game to modern hardware (Motion controls with the New Play Control lineup, colorization of Link's Awakening on the GBC, etc.).

That's why I don't really envision Nintendo doing what Anthony would like to see them do for things like Link to the Past and Super Mario World.
post #10 of 29 Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Well, I'm talking about more than just porting the game and uprezzing the graphics. I'm talking about almost re-imagining what Super Mario World could be like. Basically, giving Super Mario World the Rayman Origins treatment.

I get it, but it feels similar to film colorization, or adding 3D to 2D movies. HD remakes are a good idea because early 3d games were so gawky, but a lot of pixel games (Super Metroid, Zelda) took advantage of the nuances of pixel graphics/animation and really got the most potential out of the medium.

Call me nuts, but I do prefer this:

to this

and this

to this

post #11 of 29 Old 05-05-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Remakes of classic 2D games don't have to necessarily go that route where beautiful sprite based graphics are replaced with rather dull in comparison polygons. Look at what Nintendo did with the original Metroid on the GBA when they released Zero Mission. I could get behind upgrades along those lines that remain sprite based but in HD.

Something I do expect to see though is traditional overhead Zelda releases again. I'm sure Nintendo is noticing the success they've had with the New Super Mario Brothers lineup and are looking to replicate that elsewhere on consoles and handhelds.

Overhead Zelda games seem like the perfect way to expand that success into another popular Nintendo franchise. And it would allow them to get a new Zelda game out fairly quickly compared to the long wait I think we're in before the first HD 3D Zelda adventure comes out.
post #12 of 29 Old 05-06-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I would like to see Skyrim on the Wii U. That touch screen could be used for so much.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #13 of 29 Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I would like to see Skyrim on the Wii U. That touch screen could be used for so much.

Special Edition ports of Fallout and New Vegas would be awesome too. The screen would basically turn into the PIP Boy.
post #14 of 29 Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Special Edition ports of Fallout and New Vegas would be awesome too. The screen would basically turn into the PIP Boy.

I would love for that to happen as well, but Fallout 4 is on the way...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #15 of 29 Old 05-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Starfox WiiU is the new Retro game rumor. This would be huge, since a) Retro are gods and b) Starfox is the only game I can think of where the tablet actually makes a sh!tton of sense and doesn't just feel like a new gimmick.

http://techtroid.co.uk/starfox-wii-u-at-e3-2012-10079

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdroid.co.uk View Post

An inside source close to the folks here at Techtroid has suggested we may be seeing a Star Fox reveal at E3 this year, along with the already announced Pikmin and Mario games.

The new title is believed to be developed by Retro Studios, who we know for a fact are working on a Wii U game.

Retro has previously said: It's a project everyone wants us to do.

The source added that the game will be shown off, but will not be a launch game for the Wii U system.

We won't have to wait long to find our answer, as E3 is little over a month away.

What do you think? Is it about time for Fox McCloud to appear once more? Would you welcome him in HD?

I haven't played a lot of the true current gen games, so I can't speak to any improvements the screen might make to HUD or inventory/map systems, but I can't imagine improving either of those things would be a driver for me to purchase a WiiU. I thought the HUD and menu system in Dead Space was brilliant, I actually prefer that to the setup in the DS Zeldas.
post #16 of 29 Old 05-12-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

A guy on youtube with solid Nintendo contacts actually hinted that Star Fox isn't their project, and couldn't say what they were working on. At that point a picture of Link popped on screen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCnUcTDDYd8

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #17 of 29 Old 05-12-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

What would a touch screen add to a on rails shooter like Star Fox?

I hope not, I haven't enjoyed that franchise for the most part. Only game that I found appealing was the original Super Nintendo game. The amazing music the original had is one reason I hated the N64 sequel which is usually what people consider the pinnacle of the series. It destroyed every aspect of the audio that was done to perfection on the original. The amazing musical score, the sound effects, and the tiny bit of voice work that was there lifted what otherwise might've been a fairly average game into memorable territory (And the backgrounds of just about every level were beautiful). Even the animal voices aren't an issue since they're so easy to ignore... unlike every bit of spoken dialogue just about in Star Fox 64 that screams out that this game was designed for 6 year olds at every turn. No matter how nicely done much of Star Fox 64 was, the audio components destroyed it for me and didn't approach what Nintendo had done on their earlier console.

Would rather see their skills be invested elsewhere unless they can do what hasn't been done in 20 years and create a Star Fox title that I enjoy.
post #18 of 29 Old 05-12-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
I like Star Fox 64. Even bought it for the 3ds, but I really hope that's not what Retro has been working on. Maybe they could pull it off with a serious makeover, but it still seems like a waste. Star Fox seems like more of a mid life cycle game.

My hope is Retro is working on a new IP. If not, Metroid or Zelda would be cool.
post #19 of 29 Old 05-12-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

I like Star Fox 64. Even bought it for the 3ds, but I really hope that's not what Retro has been working on. Maybe they could pull it off with a serious makeover, but it still seems like a waste. Star Fox seems like more of a mid life cycle game.

My hope is Retro is working on a new IP. If not, Metroid or Zelda would be cool.

They perfected Metroid, so let's see what they can do with Zelda. Who knows, they knock that out of the park they may get to try Mario next.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #20 of 29 Old 05-14-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully if they do a Zelda, they don't forget about an overworld this time. Nintendo's been working for 10 years now to largely engineer that out of their own Zelda releases (Other than Twilight Princess).
post #21 of 29 Old 05-14-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Hopefully if they do a Zelda, they don't forget about an overworld this time. Nintendo's been working for 10 years now to largely engineer that out of their own Zelda releases (Other than Twilight Princess).

I wouldn't even call those overworlds, just really large connecting paths. Wind Waker had a overworld, Ocarina had a large hub interconnecting everything. I want to see something similar to the GBC games brought into a 3d space. That would be interesting...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #22 of 29 Old 05-14-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Wind Waker's overworld was a mostly empty ocean. Basically was the first step in Nintendo's effort to cut that component out of Zelda releases.

Even when you realize that the main hub of Ocarina was similarly empty, the interesting overworld bits spread throughout all 4 edges of the map (And the ranch that was right in the middle of the hub) still far outnumbered the amount of areas to explore in Wind Waker.

Give me lots of land, villages, cities, castles, forest, bays, mountains, harbors, deserts, and so on to explore. And plenty of task to do in those areas in between dungeons (And not just fetch quest and collectathons).

If there's anything I want to see change in Zelda, it's the overworld. Gameplay is fine and dungeons are fine (Although there's not enough of them anymore compared to Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time). But I want an overworld that couldn't fit into one of the Imperial City's districts in Oblivion with room left to spare (Not that I'm suggesting they copy Elder Scrolls; I want traditional Zelda, just with a bit more substantial overworld).

Basically, give me enough content where they don't have to lower themselves to artificially extending the length of the game through things like the Triforce hunt in Wind Waker, the repeating dungeon in Phantom Hourglass, and so on to pad the game to reach the length they desire.
post #23 of 29 Old 05-14-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wind Waker's overworld was a mostly empty ocean.

Even when you realize that the main hub of Ocarina was similarly empty, the interesting overworld bits spread throughout all 4 edges of the map (And the ranch that was right in the middle of the hub) still far outnumbered the amount of areas to explore in Wind Waker.

Give me lots of land, villages, cities, castles, forest, bays, harbors, deserts, etc. And plenty of task to do in those areas inbetween dungeons (And not just fetch quest and collectathons).

They should take a cue from the Elder Scrolls and really expand Hyrule into a truly open world. Maybe make Link a fugitive "treasure hunter" to shake up tradition.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #24 of 29 Old 05-14-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd love it if it if the landscape was on the scale and variety that reminds one somewhat of what Oblivion had (And with plenty of interesting sidequest and main quest related things to do in it). I don't think I ever want a 100 hour + Zelda, but at least offer up enough true variety to justify a game that last for 30 hours with a real world with plenty of task to do when not beating a dungeon.

If the day comes in this series where I could spend 3 or 4 hours just hanging out doing things in the overworld without giving a dungeon a second thought, I'd be very happy. In recent Zelda games, I feel like I'm just getting half a game and even the half they focus on (The dungeons) still feels limited compared to the past.
post #25 of 29 Old 05-14-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I would also love to see a Zelda dungeon like the sandsea again, an entire outdoor dungeon with minor indoor segments. It was a nice breath of fresh air.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #26 of 29 Old 05-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What would a touch screen add to a on rails shooter like Star Fox?

Whatever they slapped onto the bottom screen of the 3ds version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIYzi...=related&t=20s

post #27 of 29 Old 05-14-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Hard to even tell just what significance the stuff on the touch screen has in videos (Except when radio communication appears on it). Is that some sort of status indicator to tell you when your wings are getting damaged?
post #28 of 29 Old 05-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Whatever they slapped onto the bottom screen of the 3ds version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIYzi...=related&t=20s

basically what I'd want in a console version. Use the controller as close to a flight stick as possible, keep details off my tv and on the controller screen. The touch wouldn't add much unless it was changing weapons or some other simple task, but that's best mapped to buttons IMO.

My real excitement comes from thinking what Retro might be able to add with their flair for genius updates to gameplay.
post #29 of 29 Old 06-07-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 737

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page