Projector gaming and that Wii U screen lighting up the damn room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-09-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Anybody consider how annoying the light from the Wii U tablet screen is going to be in your pitch dark man caves? I have.... I'm not looking forward to it. I am, however, looking forward to playing a Mario game in true 1080p at 60 frames per second on a 126 inch screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-10-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Anybody consider how annoying the light from the Wii U tablet screen is going to be in your pitch dark man caves? I have.... I'm not looking forward to it. I am, however, looking forward to playing a Mario game in true 1080p at 60 frames per second on a 126 inch screen.

I'm not terribly concerned about it. I'm more worried about the wireless reaching the equipment closet. My current controllers work fine so I hope it will be alright.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-10-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I don't see this being a problem.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-10-2012, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

I don't see this being a problem.

Ever been sitting in a movie theater, and it's dark, and some lady in the row in front of you has one of those big Samsung smartphones with the light from the screen illuminating the area in which your sitting ? It kinds sucks until the lady finally puts the damn thing away, because it distracts from what you're watching on the big screen.

Heck, the Xbox 360 guide button on the 360 controller that lights up, sometimes I feel like putting some tape over that thing, because I'll catch the light out of my peripheral vision, and it just kinda distracts from the immersion. I like to loose myself in the experience and it's kinda hard with a bright screen illuminating the area in front of me. Hopefully I can turn the brightness way down.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-11-2012, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Heck, the Xbox 360 guide button on the 360 controller that lights up, sometimes I feel like putting some tape over that thing, because I'll catch the light out of my peripheral vision, and it just kinda distracts from the immersion. I like to loose myself in the experience and it's kinda hard with a bright screen illuminating the area in front of me. Hopefully I can turn the brightness way down.

Interesting...

Unless they forget about controller backlight settings (which is possible given this is Nintendo we're talking about) it'll only be a nasty issue on games like Metroid, RE6, Dead Space, ect. where we need pitch black... I loves me some "lights down, sound up" survival horror, though. If the menu screen is a constant beacon of light, I can see it getting really daggone annoying.

-vdz
post #6 of 9 Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I don't think the movie-theater-texter thing is a valid comparison. That's an inconsiderate distraction, whereas looking down at the Wii U tablet screen occasionally is intended to be part of the experience. Plus, Nintendo has been sure to provide plenty of brightness settings on their touchscreens since the DS Lite on.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I don't think the movie-theater-texter thing is a valid comparison. That's an inconsiderate distraction, whereas looking down at the Wii U tablet screen occasionally is intended to be part of the experience. Plus, Nintendo has been sure to provide plenty of brightness settings on their touchscreens since the DS Lite on.

You bring up a good point, and one that got me thinking (well, again, I've stated this conspiracy theory before): if Nintendo doesn't use this opportunity to add 3DS connectivity as a second or even primary controller scheme, they're missing a really obvious opportunity. It may have to the the inevitable redesign so we get more thumbsticks, but man, they need to integrate.

Playing/sharing a game with 4 DS's without ALL of us having the cart (and a freeking 4-way cable connector piece of crap) was perfect, and controlling a WiiU with one would send a very pro-Nintendo message,

"Buy our console and your unwashed offspring can play along using the $h!t you already bought to occupy them in the Minivan. Save money and stuff!

Nintendo: We ain't Sony!™"
post #8 of 9 Old 05-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
You guys are really still clinging to that redesign thing? It ain't coming any time soon.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #9 of 9 Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

You guys are really still clinging to that redesign thing? It ain't coming any time soon.

Agreed, it may have come had the 3ds still been struggling, but not with the system breaking sales records left and right. E3 will be nothing but games and the final design of the Wii U from Nintendo.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page