Nintendo E3 2012 (aka "sever errors aplenty" or "fan boy tears are bitter") - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
As I said earlier, what a strange e3. You would think stuff like this would have been said somewhere along the way before now.

Wii U will get Madden and Fifa this year after all. link

I guess they're waiting to share more later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 06-07-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So is there any indication that the WiiU is going to be more powerful than the PS3 or 360?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #33 of 44 Old 06-07-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

So is there any indication that the WiiU is going to be more powerful than the PS3 or 360?
Not really. Raw specs are slightly ahead of the curve, but it isn't clear yet how much of a hit the GamePad inflicts on resources. It also sounds like using a second GamePad inflicts an even bigger hit on resources. Nothing so far has indicated that any Wii U games run significantly better or worse than on other platforms.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #34 of 44 Old 06-07-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
It almost sounds like games will either be 1080p30 or 720p60 at current gen levels. The second controller drops the 60fps to 30fps so the controller seems to use a lot of system resources. And that is all I have been able to piece together so far...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #35 of 44 Old 06-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

No, it'll be five gamecubes taped together

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #36 of 44 Old 06-07-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

This may be accurate. Seems reasonable and matches what is out there. I guess it's from early devkits and has floated about for a bit. Link

Hardware Features
Main Application Processor

PowerPC architecture.
Three cores (fully coherent).
3MB aggregate L2 Cache size.
core 0: 512 KB
core 1: 2048 KB
core 2: 512 KB
Write gatherer per core.
Locked (L1d) cache DMA per core.

Main Memory

Up to 3GB of main memory (CAT-DEVs only). Note: retail machine will have half devkit memory
Please note that the quantity of memory available from the Cafe SDK and Operating System may vary.

Graphics and Video

Modern unified shader architecture.
32MB high-bandwidth eDRAM, supports 720p 4x MSAA or 1080p rendering in a single pass.
HDMI and component video outputs.

Features

Unified shader architecture executes vertex, geometry, and pixel shaders
Multi-sample anti-aliasing (2, 4, or 8 samples per pixel)
Read from multi-sample surfaces in the shader
128-bit floating point HDR texture filtering
High resolution texture support (up to 8192 x 8192)
Indexed cube map arrays

8 render targets
Independent blend modes per render target
Pixel coverage sample masking
Hierarchical Z/stencil buffer
Early Z test and Fast Z Clear
Lossless Z & stencil compression
2x/4x/8x/16x high quality adaptive anisotropic filtering modes
sRGB filtering (gamma/degamma)
Tessellation unit
Stream out support
Compute shader support

GX2 is a 3D graphics API for the Nintendo Wii U system (also known as Cafe). The API is designed to be as efficient as GX(1) from the Nintendo GameCube and Wii systems. Current features are modeled after OpenGL and the AMD r7xx series of graphics processors. Wii U’s graphics processor is referred to as GPU7.
Sound and Audio

Dedicated 120MHz audio DSP.
Support for 6 channel discrete uncompressed audio (via HDMI).
2 channel audio for the Cafe DRC controller.
Monaural audio for the Cafe Remote controller.

Networking

802.11 b/g/n Wifi.

Peripherals

2 x USB 2.0 host controllers x 2 ports each.
SDCard Slot.

Built-in Storage

512MB SLC NAND for System.
8GB MLC NAND for Applications.

Host PC Bridge

Dedicated Cafe-to-host PC bridge hardware.
Allows File System emulation by host PC.
Provides interface for debugger and logging to host PC.
post #37 of 44 Old 06-07-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Monger, please restate your post as "good!" or "bad!"
post #38 of 44 Old 06-08-2012, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

According to one of the Ubi devs, it's a little of both:

http://www.insidegamer.nl/nieuws/98237/ac3-cpu-wii-u-net-zo-krachtig-als-ps3-x360-gpu-is-sterker

Quote:
News | June 8, 2012 - Thecentral processing unit (CPU) of the U Wii is as powerful as the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but the graphics processing unit (GPU) is one and a half times as strong. That is what an employee of Ubisoft stated to Insidegamer.

Ubisoft provided this information from a gameplay demo of Assassin's Creed 3. The editor of Insidegamer noting however that the game is on Wii U currently less good looking than the other consoles, with less detail and less constant framerate.

This can still be solved; because the Wii U is a new console, developers are still getting used to develop for the device. According to Ubisoft Assassin's Creed for Wii U will, at the time of release, be of the same quality as the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.
post #39 of 44 Old 06-08-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Eh, good enough for me. Am I the only one who'd be perfectly happy with Uncharted 3-level visuals for years? How big a leap graphically could the PS4 and NextBox possibly be to the average eye, anyway? It's certainly going to be more of a DVD-Blu-ray leap than a VHS-DVD one, for sure.
post #40 of 44 Old 06-08-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

Eh, good enough for me. Am I the only one who'd be perfectly happy with Uncharted 3-level visuals for years? How big a leap graphically could the PS4 and NextBox possibly be to the average eye, anyway? It's certainly going to be more of a DVD-Blu-ray leap than a VHS-DVD one, for sure.

At the very least, I want things to run smoothly (60 frames per second) at 1080p on the next hardware. I don't really think that the Wii U will do this (I suspect it'll be 30fps 1080p like suggested above), but I'm sure the new Sony/MS consoles will.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #41 of 44 Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN.com WiiU forum, spring 2013 
"Dude, the WiiU version of AC3 SUXXX!!! U can only see thousands of pores on his skin in that close up shot....on NextBox U can see MILLIONS!!" F**K NINTENDO!!!

biggrin.gif

Unless PS4/NextBox deliver actual Holodeck-style realism, I think the nicest looking games these days are really as nice as they need be. Seriously - Uncharted 3 does look killer. IF a WiiU game in 2-3 yrs can only look as good as that...where is the problem?

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #42 of 44 Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Quote:
"Dude, the WiiU version of AC3 SUXXX!!! U can only see thousands of pores on his skin in that close up shot....on NextBox U can see MILLIONS!!" F**K NINTENDO!!!

Unless PS4/NextBox deliver actual Holodeck-style realism, I think the nicest looking games these days are really as nice as they need be. Seriously - Uncharted 3 does look killer. IF a WiiU game in 2-3 yrs can only look as good as that...where is the problem?

I'm just waiting for Wind Waker to be redone by Retro, as good or better than DKCR... Deliver that to me- and add up to date lighting, shaders, tessellation, framerate and 1080p?

in all seriousness, the WiiU needs some help, I love Ninty gameplay and graphics AREN'T everything, but they sure need to get on the boat with textures and rendering to stay relevant. I mean, the conversation hasn't changed: What would the unarguably great Gamecube games (MP 1 & 2, Eternal Darkness, WW, etc) have looked like if they came out now? UE4 would have made us drool the first time Samus hit Tallon- but the style of SMsunshine wouldn't have been dynamically different. It's a balance, and Nintendo needs to get on both sides of the equation to remain relevant or else multiplats and exclusives are gonna overshadow the constant barrage of Mario titles they seems to bank on.
post #43 of 44 Old 06-08-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Quote:
biggrin.gif

A more realistic view is that Star Wars 1313 is "next gen." It looks great but it isn't holodeck or a quantum leap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #44 of 44 Old 06-08-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good! Not great.

Even taking into account what the Ubi guy said. There are a lot of iimprovements from this gen. Last of Us/Uncharted graphics should be very doable. Even with more complex environments and games.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page