Nintendo E3 2012 (aka "sever errors aplenty" or "fan boy tears are bitter") - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 06-03-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So, admittedly this OP will suck until I can get some updates and info so bear with me, but for those interested, the Pre-E3 conference/telecast/hubub is in full swing now. First Mega News? Nintendo360 controller for WiiU

[Pre-E3 Edit]
  • Nunchuck, Wii Remote and Wii Balance Board officially supported by the WiiU
  • Will be able to change your tv channels, view tv guide while playing games on the wii u pad

• "Miiverse" enables real-time, Twitter-like communication between players using the Wii U Game Pad’s touchscreen.

• WiiU TV boot up will show a crowd of Mii avatars of WiiU users from around the world, with icons representing popular games being played by all players everywhere

• Miiverse on the WiiU gamepad will feature a similar display, but will only feature the games you've recently played

• Miiverse will have integration with with non-Wii devices in the future (iOS, android, web browsers), but not likely at launch
  • Users can share screenshots of gameplay online
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 06-03-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Since we're having discussion elsewhere dlj has a point. We'll stick to live Wii/WiiU/3DS updates during the conference in here, pics and blog or twitter posts welcome.

Probably Controller announcement and Miiverse seem quite relevant as they'll likely get plenty of callbacks during the conference.

And we can all still hope for leaks
post #3 of 44 Old 06-03-2012, 07:33 PM

Liked: 93
You are seriously just copying in content from other threads on this same forum? They are already in other threads for a reason. Nobody wants this thread.

Also, take my quotes out.
post #4 of 44 Old 06-04-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

First 'leaks' via Nikkei and andriasang

Quote:

Just ahead of Nintendo's E3 press conference tomorrow, Nikkei is reporting on a couple of announcements regarding 3DS and Wii U.

For 3DS, the paper says that Nintendo will announce a large screen version of the system. The new version will have a 4.3 inch screen, or 1.5 times the current size. A release in North America, Japan and Europe could happen as early as Summer.

Regarding the Wii U, Nikkei says that it is expected the price will be around 30,000 yen. It's unclear if the paper received any insider information about this price, or if it's just stating an obvious target. Nintendo has previously said that it would not share pricing information about Wii U at E3.

The paper also reports that Wii U will see distribution of non-game content, including a car navigator and books, and a karaoke service with around 10,000 songs.

So WiiU could be $299-$349USD if this turns out to be true... not bad.

[edit]
And the first (?)WiiU exclusive eshop game announcement:

Quote:

Indie developer Broken Rules announced today that the official launch platform for its game, Chasing Aurora, will be the Wii U eShop. The game is set to be released in late 2012.

Chasing Aurora is a 2D aerial action game set in the alps. This open world experience will feature physics-based flight and air combat. It will also come with four different multiplayer modes.

post #5 of 44 Old 06-04-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 551
The 3DS news alone is enough to make me doubt that. Nintendo won't update the hardware until sales start falling. Even though the 3DS has a major design flaw I can't see them putting out a redesign this early. The Vita so far is DoA so that isn't an issue either...

Just how long has it been since the purple unit released?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #6 of 44 Old 06-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
About a month, if that. Though I don't remember nintendo ever pushing multiple colors this early in a system's lifespan. Could be wrong, never paid attention to DS.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #7 of 44 Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nothing not already covered at the EA conference, but Ubisoft... dropping bombs:

Rayman Legend WiiU exclusive, ZombiU launch title, one (ONE!) UPad support only

[/crappy singer]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesbeat View Post

GamesBeat: How many players can you get on the Wii U at once? Is it four or is it two…?

Poix: On the controller it’s just the one. One person. But you can still play with the four Wiimotes if you have four. So it adds up to five players.But you can still play with the four Wiimotes if you have four. So it adds up to five players.

post #8 of 44 Old 06-04-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

One more (or so), then we'll all wait for the BS that is tomorrow...

Gods Among Us confirmed for WiiU. Trailer:

[edit] embed failing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4rY_fdMDFE

Quote:

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--What if our greatest heroes became our greatest threat? Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment today announced Injustice: Gods Among Us, an all-new game in development by award-winning NetherRealm Studios, creators of the definitive fighting game franchise Mortal Kombat. The game is scheduled for release in 2013 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and the Wii U™ system from Nintendo.

post #9 of 44 Old 06-04-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Help me Nintendo, you are my only hope.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #10 of 44 Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I'm leaning towards them announcing a 3DSXL tomorrow.
post #11 of 44 Old 06-04-2012, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Help me Nintendo, you are my only hope.

I haven't seen everything from today, but from what I saw there wasn't much to get excited about. Ubisoft's game Watch Dogs looked absolutely incredible though.
post #12 of 44 Old 06-05-2012, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

I haven't seen everything from today, but from what I saw there wasn't much to get excited about. Ubisoft's game Watch Dogs looked absolutely incredible though.

Watch Dogs and The Last of Us was all that got my attention, everything else was more of the same. (I need to see more of Beyond (Heavy Rain team) before I get excited.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #13 of 44 Old 06-05-2012, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Watch Dogs and The Last of Us was all that got my attention, everything else was more of the same. (I need to see more of Beyond (Heavy Rain team) before I get excited.

Ubisoft updated, BTW, confirmed Watch Dogs for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. WiiU not planned...

Since AVS is moving to a new server today (which should be awesome) we'll be dark while N's conference is running. Just in case anyone's looking for a live feed, here's some links:

http://www.facebook.com/nintendo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc_IH...feature=relmfu

http://www.g4tv.com/e3-2012/press-co.../nintendo/136/

Adios for now, muchachos.

-vdz
post #14 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow! Kudos to the AVS gang- this is one nice face lift!

And now on with our show...

Multiple sources for info, and some of this was already known, I recommend hitting Engadget and e3.nintendo.com for all the details if you missed the conference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINTENDO E3 2012 
  • Wii U will support 2 gamepads simultaneously. Framerate will be impacted by 50% when both gamepads are active
  • Wii U gamepad requires 2.5 hours charge, offers roughly 3-5 hours of game play. Gamepad also supports a direct cable hook-up between console and tablet
  • Detailed Miiverse, "a social hub for the Wii U lets users communicate while doing almost anything and everything on the Wii U"
  • Nintendo was showing off PanaromaView, in which the player uses the tablet to view the world onscreen in full 360*; front, back, up and down
  • Nintendo displayed or detailed 23 WiiU games during the conference, 9 of which are Nintendo first-party titles (see lists below)
  • Though unconfirmed, the pack in game will likely be NintendoLand, an amusement park themed minigame collection, with areas based on 12 Nintendo IP's
  • Three 3DS games were shown. Nintendo had earlier announced that a separate press conference will be held Wednesday showing off both first and third party titles for 3DS.
  • Pricing for the Wii U was not revealed, and the scheduled launch was listed only as "a Holiday release later this year"
  • Several key Nintendo franchises, including The Legend of Zelda, Super Smash Bros, Metroid and Star Fox were noticeably absent, as were any mentions of Madden and FIFA installments

WiiU Games Shown at the E3 conference: (Click to show)
Pikmin 3
NSMBU
Batman
Scribblenauts
Lego
Zombi U
Just Dance
Nintendoland
Tekken
Tanks! Tanks! Tanks!
Trine 2
Mass Effect 3
Darksiders
Alien
Assassins Creed
Rayman
Avengers
Rabbids Land
Sports Connection
Your Shape
Wii Fit U
SiNG
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
List of all Launch Window WiiU games (Click to show)
3DS games shown at E3 conference (Click to show)
Super Mario Bros. 2
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate
Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance.
LEGO City Undercover
DaverJ likes this.
post #15 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
According to an IGN report yesterday, WiiU will also be BW-compatible with all your Wii Shop purchases. No details on the "how" of it yet, but I assume it will most likely along the lines of the 3DS/DSiShop transfer process (a WiiU "Transfer Channel" will probably pop up in the original Wii Shop for installation onto the Wii to go w/ the WiiU's built in mate to it). No need to say goodbye to your WiiWare, VC and - I hope - GH/RB DLC.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #16 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

According to an IGN report yesterday, WiiU will also be BW-compatible with all your Wii Shop purchases. No details on the "how" of it yet, but I assume it will most likely along the lines of the 3DS/DSiShop transfer process (a WiiU "Transfer Channel" will probably pop up in the original Wii Shop for installation onto the Wii to go w/ the WiiU's built in mate to it). No need to say goodbye to your WiiWare, VC and - I hope - GH/RB DLC.

Ah, yep. Missed that. They confirmed that save states will transfer as well.

I found it interesting that there's no news at all regarding Wii. Was expecting at least a Last Story or Madden call out.
post #17 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I hope like the 3DS transfer ability that it also allows you to transfer purchases to another Wii if so desired.

As of a year ago, Wii software isn't going to be upscaled. Unless plans have changed, I presume that will also hold true for things like the current Virtual Console service. And I have a half dozen or so N64 downloads that only feel good with a GameCube pad (Don't like how the Classic Controller works with Super Mario 64 in particular).

Yet my Wii has seen many hundreds of hours of use so I'd love to transfer them to a newer piece of hardware. But I don't want my Virtual Console experience to be negatively affected by playing them on a HDTV (My Wii and last gen consoles are all hooked up to my Trinitron) and in some cases, with a less than ideal choice of controller (My N64 downloads, like the Classic Controller for SuperNes games and a sideways Wiimote suffices for earlier platforms).
post #18 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I figured that with EA being one of the major 3rd parties to state their support for Wii U, they might feature or at least mention Madden for Wii U.

Wii U would allow EA to crank out a Nintendo-built Madden that is technically equal to the PS360 versions, as oppsed to the PS2 ports/cartoon-y "casual experiences" that have made up the previous Madden Wii titles. And the GamePad would make for a slick playbook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames 
I hope like the 3DS transfer ability that it also allows you to transfer purchases to another Wii if so desired.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'd assume the WIi-to Wii U will work the same as it does w/ DS to 3DS. Nintendo finally seemed to almost "get it" when it came to the 3DS transfer options.

Hell, Ninty is probably sick of customers that bought/replaced Wiis calling in to bitch about having to buy their NES downloads again, leading to occasionally allowing cutsomers to send their consoles in for Shop account transfer. Let us do it ourselves!

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #19 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I don't know, Nintendo still hasn't done anything to excite me with the Wii U, and I watched their streaming conference and the little 'aftershow' online and I watched the thing on Sunday.

They've been dwelling on this asynchronous multiplayer a lot, but it's always a similar demo with a new coat of paint, whether it's 3 people trying to get candy while the guard tries to capture them, or 3 ghost hunters trying to get one ghost, or whatever. It's all the same, and it's not even that new of an idea; Pac-Man Vs did it years ago (though nobody played that), and I've seen a ton of similar minigames in various Mario Party iterations. On top of that, it's not that difficult to do two different multiplayer experiences for two different players these days. Since most multiplayer gaming is online anyway, it's simple to do things like that.

I haven't seen any compelling examples yet of second screen gameplay either. I mean, Arkham City, which is getting a new edition just for Wii U, simply moves your pause screen from the TV to the controller. Is that really worth a new console for? In my opinion, the only thing that has seemed like a halfway interesting use for it so far is the sniper scope on the controller that they showed for ZombiU. But I mean, things like tossing a ninja star using the touchscreen, that just doesn't seem compelling to me.

And I already made my thoughts clear on the video content/online services in another thread, but to me that doesn't do anything that can't be done better with a separate console and tablet.

I think the problem for me is that the Wii itself was instantly compelling. You saw it and immediately 'got' it. The Wii U doesn't seem to have that same instant effect so far, and I think that's going to be an uphill battle for Nintendo to fight. But hey, maybe it was just a bad presentation and we'll see more things like that when the system is released.

...That being said, I'll most likely end up with one after certain first-party games are released anyway.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #20 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

What a strange e3. Sony seemingly bails on the Vita and Nintendo gives 3ds it's own hour. I still don't get the point of smartglass.

Nintendo's conference was less than compelling. Year old ports and Nintendoland. Nintendoland looks great as a pack in, but it doesn't look like the killer app Wii Sports was no matter how bad Nintendo wants it to be. Also, I had no idea Nintendo sold Retro. And where were EAD Tokyo, Monolith, 3d Mario, Zelda, or Metroid? I get they focused on the launch window, but it would have been nice to see something that pushed the hardware and got you excited for what was coming. There were some cool uses of the gamepad, but overall it was pretty lackluster. I just kept waiting for something awesome and then it was over.

Overall though, it's not a terrible launch lineup.

Darksiders II
Game & Wario
Just Dance 4
Project P-100
Tank! Tank! Tank!
Wii Fit U
Pikmin 3
Assassin’s Creed III
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Lego City: Undercover
New Super Mario Bros. U
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge
Nintendo Land
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Sing
Wii U Panorama View
ZombieU
Mass Effect 3
Rayman Legends
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Trine 2: Director’s Cut
Avengers: Battle For Earth
Rabbids Land
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Sports Connection
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
post #21 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If the more marketing-savvy folks I've seen are correct, Ninty is making a play to get a casual game in at launch that exposes new Nintendo fans to existing franchises... It makes sense; Metroid, Zelda, F-Zero, etc. games aren't at a development stage that's close enough to be revealed yet, so they simply skin the levels in a (guaranteed seller) launch minigame collection and boom! Casuals playthe game because it's fun, get familiar with characters and games they might not have cared about previously, and when the big N launches an F-ZeroU they've got people thinking "Oh, I like that.".

Or they could be just completely bereft of fresh ideas. There's that.

And the analysts meeting is still going on, apparently. Twitter is all abuzz with these nuggets:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gibson ‏@gibbogame 
Friendcodes- not completely eliminated, will still exist in some form but making friends much easier
Expand
Quote:
WiiU - can access store and communication on smartphones so that buy and downloaded to WiiU by time get home
Quote:
(Nintendo) Won't compete with msft or others for exclusive franchise support, want to take advantage of 190m WiiMote/45m Balance Board installed base
Quote:
No HDD in WiiU but USB connections enable users to use variety of external options like cheap HDD available

So direction is pretty clear: they want Wii users to continue buying, they must feel there's a stronger case in making use of the wiimotes and balance boards already in homes than moving to the space Sony and MS have occupied with hardcore/gamerz. Not a problem, but it makes me want to hold off on a WiiU purchase until the software actually shows up.

[EDIT] added another tweet that I think sums up what we all expected to hear:
Quote:
Core strategy is based around consumers accessing entertainment from multiple devices, fundamental change in industry
Quote:
This cycle can improve profits driven by digital, miiverse is designed to improve tie ratio, wiiu think will have higher active use rate
post #22 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

I think the problem for me is that the Wii itself was instantly compelling. You saw it and immediately 'got' it. The Wii U doesn't seem to have that same instant effect so far, and I think that's going to be an uphill battle for Nintendo to fight. But hey, maybe it was just a bad presentation and we'll see more things like that when the system is released.
...That being said, I'll most likely end up with one after certain first-party games are released anyway.
Nail on head. Tablet/console mash-up gaming is a way harder sell than the VR CONTROLS FROM THE FUTURE OMG of the original Wii, and Nintendo themselves seem unsure how to present it, as evidenced by their least confident presentation in years. And the presentation was, indeed, abysmal. Pikmin 3 is great and all, but not a marquee name, and when you say you have a renewed emphasis on third party, don't let your only example be a nearly year-old port. And then certainly don't fill out the rest of your presentation with sequels to "blue ocean" titles and close out with yet another minigame fest that doesn't look half as compelling as Wii Sports was. The whole thing really made Wii U come off as Wii 1.5.

That said, I've kind of been disillusioned with E3 in general. People get all excited at trailers of Halo 4, Dead Space 3, Tomb Raider, etc., but all I see is "Hooray, slightly prettier versions of games I've played at least twice before." Which is kind of where gaming was before the original Wii, which is exactly the time period when I began thinking maybe I wouldn't be playing games forever after all. I kinda wish Wii U, or hell, Microsoft (it ain't gonna be Sony), would do more to change that direction.

Edit: Man, we all gotta get avatars. Right now this new layout makes it look like every post is by the same person.
post #23 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Edit: Man, we all gotta get avatars. Right now this new layout makes it look like every post is by the same person.

Monger and I agree biggrin.gif

More new news:
Quote:
The new screen is not multitouch. Well, with the DS certainly it's not multitouch and people have really enjoyed that interface and have found it sufficient for their needs for gaming. If you add something like multitouch you do up the cost, and so we're trying to strike the right balance between the robust set of features and capablilites for the hardware but also make it affordable to people.

Doesn't matter much for games (unless you're using it for a map, in which case it makes a ton of sense), but for all the OTHER things WiiU screen is supposed to do... mutli touch seems like a no-brainer, it can't have been that much more per piece. Nintendo is about to be the world's largest only buyer of resistive touch screens...
post #24 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Nintendo Sold Retro!? Did I read that right? Not buying a Wii U until the games are there and if Retro goes multiplatform, I just lost one of my biggest reasons for Owning Nintendo hardware.

As for Avatars, I think Faceless Rebel will fight me for mine... (I've got a backup if we end up with similar ones)

And I can't wait for them to update the mobile app and get it working again (already getting 1 star reviews on the Android store) My computer is slowing down really bad with the new AVS. (stupid netbook)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #25 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 704
ZombiU is the best they have. Quite compelling gameplay strategy that isn't for the "hold my hand" gamers. Props for that. It won't put a WiiU in my house though. HD 2D Metroid would have.
post #26 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Nintendo Sold Retro!? Did I read that right? Not buying a Wii U until the games are there and if Retro goes multiplatform, I just lost one of my biggest reasons for Owning Nintendo hardware.
As for Avatars, I think Faceless Rebel will fight me for mine... (I've got a backup if we end up with similar ones)
And I can't wait for them to update the mobile app and get it working again (already getting 1 star reviews on the Android store) My computer is slowing down really bad with the new AVS. (stupid netbook)

lol. No they didn't sell Retro. I was just being sarcastic about the conference.
post #27 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

lol. No they didn't sell Retro. I was just being sarcastic about the conference.

Wipes sweat from brow.

Thanks for giving me a heart attack.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #28 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

ZombiU is the best they have. Quite compelling gameplay strategy that isn't for the "hold my hand" gamers. Props for that. It won't put a WiiU in my house though. HD 2D Metroid would have.

I was prepared... Had, by some amazing twist of fate, Nintendo managed either a 3DS or WiiU Metroid (or both), I would have bought hardware on that alone... (Still possible for 3DS, Conf starts in 15 mins)

Zelda? 70/30 (could use a good handheld Zelda about now)
Starfox? 50/50 (would love another SFA, but *finished this time)
F-Zero? 20/80 (Mario Karit is better)
DK? 90/10 (give me a Mario v DK refresh, I'll line up for you to take my money)

The list goes on and on... SSB, Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island... I'd kill for a Eternal Darkness 2. But Pikmin isn't the big deal, P-1000 or whatever is the same, lego's been done to death, Mario is tired of pulling the Nintendo wagon, minigames are- you get the idea. My Wii still offers more back catalog than I can afford to miss, and WiiU looks to be just a 'wait and see' proposition. I'm sure it'll change, but not by launch. I'm probably gonna be a late adopter.

One conference left. Drop me a Power Bomb, Iwata!!

-vdz
post #29 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mario vs DK has been redone quite a few times, on the GB, GBA, and DS so far, grab the DS version.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #30 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Mario vs DK has been redone quite a few times, on the GB, GBA, and DS so far, grab the DS version.

None of them are really the same as the original GBA Mario vs Donkey Kong and GB/SGB Donkey Kong, which in my mind were both far superior.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page