SD CRT or HD CRT for Wii? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is better for Wii gaming: An SD CRT or an HD CRT?

SD CRTs have the advantage of 0 input lag, while HD CRTs have the advantage of 480p support for the Wii.

Note that all Wii and GCN games are either 480i or 480p. Nearly all VC games are 480i.

I'm thinking about getting an SD CRT with component inputs.

Also, what is the difference in picture quality between 480i with component and 480p with component?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Nearly all Virtual Console games are most certainly not 480i. Most if not all will output at their native resolution if 480i is selected (Often 240p). If 480p is selected, most will be upscaled to that resolution.

I don't believe that there's a single Virtual Console game that ever outputs a 480i signal under any conditions.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:07 AM

Liked: 93
All of the N64 stuff should spit out real 480i, as the emulator used renders to 480p instead of the original 240p. 480i just throws half the lines away.

Otherwise, yeah the only way you get VC 480i is when your flat panel mangles the incoming 240p signal. smile.gif
Old 06-16-2012, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Okay. My question was not answered.

What is better for Wii gaming: An SD CRT or an HD CRT? Do SD CRTs with component cables have input lag? And have much lag do HD CRTs have on average?
Old 06-17-2012, 03:37 AM

The correct answer is a modern plasma or LCD display. Anyone that thinks they can genuinely tell the difference in 30ms of lag is deluding themselves. Human sensory systems are pretty crap and easily fooled.

In addition, any CRT you'll find these days is so old that the convergence is completely shot, making everything blurry. The advantages of a modern display vastly outweigh the imaginary "I'm a super-human that can tell the difference in one frame!!1" problem that a blurry SD CRT would solve.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Nonsense, I have several CRT's and they're just as sharp as the day they came out of the box.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:27 AM

Suuuure they are.

Convergence drifts over time on a CRT. It's just what happens. Now, you can spend far too much time and effort fixing convergence on CRTs that offer settings to do such a thing. Of course, you'll need to do this often in general, and even more so any time you move the thing or even rotate it in place as the CRT's relative position to Earth's magnetic field will also break convergence.

If you have put forth such effort, I applaud you. If not, then you are simply deluding yourself. That wouldn't be your fault of course! smile.gif Human memory is terrible, and our real-time perception systems are almost as bad. Plus, we have a natural bias tending to think that whatever thing we own is the best possible thing to own.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, but I'm right in this instance. Heck, I'm talking to you right now from a CRT monitor and this small text is very sharp and crystal clear.

Every CRT in my house offers a very clear and sharp picture. Even a 30 year 11" black & white CRT that I've hung on to (It's what I started gaming on with my Atari 2600 back in the day) still offers a nice picture.

Older CRT's don't suffer from becoming blurry in huge numbers. I don't know what makes you think that's the case, but as a CRT owner and fan, there are countless other things that are far more problematic (Yet still fairly rare).

Capacitors going out is the big problem and one that is fairly easily resolved with some basic electronics skills (Just have to be sure you know how to discharge the electricity from the tube first). That's the problem owners of classic arcade games face and that's the problem the classic gamer is going to face down the road when things like late model Trinitrons start to develop issues and there isn't a ready supply of cheap, used, high quality CRT's from Craigslist and such to just replace one with.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:41 PM

I have CRT that is "HD prepared" and supports both HDMI and component. Zero lag (and I'm really sensitive to input lag).