Wii U.... how much are you willing to pay ? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 53 Old 08-03-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Probably not getting at launch. Willing to pay $199 eventually.

I know that's not a lot for new hardware, but seeing as the console will essentially be little more than a first party Nintendo box, the value proposition isn't there for me to drop more.

A new console that's launching purely with safe and uninspired sequels....that "gotta have it" feeling that would get me to really open my wallet at any cost just isn't there.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 08-05-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I probably will pick up a Wii U at launch; I'm willing to spend up to $249 for it.

I really look forward to the new Wii U just for the convenience of HDMI and finally getting digital sound from a Nintendo system. I wish that the Wii U maintained GameCube backward compatibility and I'm really disappointed that the new box won't have Dolphin level upscaling for older games.

I like Nintendo's first party efforts, but I don't like Ubisoft. Arkham City and Mass Effect 3 are cool, but I could play them at higher resolution a year earlier on PC.

Where I really think Nintendo is screwing up is in launch titles and 3rd party support. They should have a new 1080p Mario or Zelda at launch and they should announce that the Wii U version of Madden 2013 will be heads and shoulders above any other console's version of the game this year. This is a huge missed opportunity.

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #33 of 53 Old 08-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
honestly, I'm waiting to see how the new controller is actually utilized. If we start seeing more core Nintendo (read: Mario, Zelda, and Metroid) games without the motion gimmick for core gameplay and I can use the controller like a classic controller I'll be buying a WiiU. If it's still waggle or shake to jump or whatever, then I'm passing again. I'm disheartened by all the talk of the WiiMotes being used to play WiiU games, so I'm expecting the worst (for me personally).
post #34 of 53 Old 08-06-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
My posts weren't about graphical quality, they were about art direction. I just don't much care for the NSMB style and it has always struck me as rather souless.

I'll still play them since I enjoy them just the same, but I think the art design (Both graphically and musically) leaves a lot to be desired.
post #35 of 53 Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername View Post

honestly, I'm waiting to see how the new controller is actually utilized. If we start seeing more core Nintendo (read: Mario, Zelda, and Metroid) games without the motion gimmick for core gameplay and I can use the controller like a classic controller I'll be buying a WiiU. If it's still waggle or shake to jump or whatever, then I'm passing again. I'm disheartened by all the talk of the WiiMotes being used to play WiiU games, so I'm expecting the worst (for me personally).

If FIFA is any indication, some type of shoehorned gimmicks will still be mandatory, at least initially. I see play calling and menu items mapped to the tablet as a positive, but those positives won't offset the rage from people when they see "Hold up your gamepad to aim!" command constantly (and I don't expect alternate control schemes to be universally available, either...). Looking at the Wii's launch window games now, it was apparent that developers were just trying to work motion and waggle into games, they largely didn't add anything for the better, it took a long time to find a reasonable balance.

In fact, despite all the good things the controller screen can add, I'd bet Nintendo requiring tablet integration will turn off a lot of gamers. Could be more polarizing than motion control has been. And we know not all devs will support off-screen play or Pro controller setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

My posts weren't about graphical quality, they were about art direction. I just don't much care for the NSMB style and it has always struck me as rather souless.
I'll still play them since I enjoy them just the same, but I think the art design (Both graphically and musically) leaves a lot to be desired.

I agree, I think they look great but they don't have the same charm of, say, Super Mario Land. 2D sprites just work well for these old school patformers, polygons don't improve the game (exceptions like DKCR and Rayman notwithstanding).

Plus once NSMBU drops we're about to have 4 clones essentially- DS, Wii, and 3DS share a ton in gameplay, artstyle and music. There's been almost no innovation, just a stream of rehashes for the iconic plumber... which is sad when you think about how pioneering Nintendo has been since they came to prominence.
post #36 of 53 Old 09-12-2012, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
A year and a half a go my mom had a minor accident, she had to stay without walking for 3 weeks, I gave her my old DS with the NSMB inside because she was getting bored doing almost nothing, and she became a HUGE fan of 2D Mario Games :eek : , now, after watching the NSMB U trailer she´s been bitching around to me to buy this thing:p, I´ll get it for her, but not payin above $250. cool.gif
post #37 of 53 Old 09-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
If the leaks/rumors are right, it'll cost that much.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #38 of 53 Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Pricing details inside:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/13/wii-u-preview-event

I'm prepared to wait till the playstation and xbox successors, at which point I'm thinking we'll see a price cut or some decent bundles.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #39 of 53 Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Pricing details inside:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/13/wii-u-preview-event
I'm prepared to wait till the playstation and xbox successors, at which point I'm thinking we'll see a price cut or some decent bundles.
I may just pre-order one for launch anyway. There's no way I'm buying a PS4/Nextbox at launch. Nintendo has a way better history of building solid machines. Wii U will tide me over a year or so while MS and Sony iron their kinks out.

I have never failed. I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
post #40 of 53 Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineLove View Post

I may just pre-order one for launch anyway. There's no way I'm buying a PS4/Nextbox at launch.

It's going to be quite some time before I dip into the next generation overall. There are TONS of games I have yet to play from THIS generation, plenty in my backlog that needs to be cleared before I fork over $400 for a new system. As strange as this may seem( especially on a board of this nature), I'm not craving more advanced consoles and games right now.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #41 of 53 Old 09-14-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Two questions.
1. Are you buying one at launch ?
2. What's the most you're willing to pay ?

My updated smart-ass answer:

1) Yes, pre-ordered
2) $350, minus trade-in discounts.

smile.gif

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #42 of 53 Old 09-17-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

My updated smart-ass answer:
1) Yes, pre-ordered
2) $350, minus trade-in discounts.
smile.gif

What he said. Only thing I'm angry about is that I procrastinated and couldn't get it at Gamestop, when I totally could have. They sold out of the Deluxe preorders, so I ended up getting a preorder at BestBuy.
post #43 of 53 Old 09-17-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Wow, those prices caught me a bit off guard. Seemed like the hype overall for the Wii U is very muted, so kinda surprised to see Nintendo come in on the high side. I new that my $199.99 buy price was probably unrealistic, but didn't think it would be a full c note above that just to get the bare bones version.

This really sucks, because it will be an end to a streak that I had going since August of 1991. We are talking about a streak that lasted for a very long time. I bought a SNES on launch day, N64 on launch day, GameCube on launch day and Wii on launch day. This will be the first year since 1985 that I didn't buy a Nintendo home console on launch day. I hate to break up my streak, but I can't see a valid reason to spend that much money, just to play a few lackluster launch games. Pikmin 3 and Zombie U would have been mildly entertaining, but I'd rather keep my $400 in my pocket. I'll wait and see what happens at next years e3.
post #44 of 53 Old 09-17-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
I said I'd hesitate over 299, but who was I kidding. We've been over due for a new console. It'll be nice to have a new console and some good local mp to play over thanksgiving break.
post #45 of 53 Old 09-17-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
If they can have a bundle with a new Mario or Zelda I may consider buying at launch. In reality, I'll prolly make my decision after the first price drop down the road. PS4 is what I got my sights on.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #46 of 53 Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
I'm very excited for this! The wii is just ugly looking on a 65" screen. I don't need it to have all the latest bells and whistles just as long as Mario and Zelda are fun and look pretty. I put 2 preorders in for the deluxe just in case. One at Walmart and the other at GameStop. Both were online. I'd love to have it for some Thanksgiving fun!

post #47 of 53 Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

If they can have a bundle with a new Mario or Zelda I may consider buying at launch.

I can assure you that if there was any chance of a new Zelda game making launch that it wouldn't be the best kept secret in videogaming that it would have to be for us to just be a couple of months away from launch without the slightest hint of it being in existence... let alone being planned as a launch title.

And as discussed extensively in the more active Wii U thread going on here, launch details were provided several days ago. A Mario platformer isn't going to be a pack-in. Instead (and only for the premium bundle), a pack-in of a new multiplayer minigame collection is going to be what's included.

Best wait for your Playstation 4 I think. The launch doesn't have what you want and clearly your interest isn't there or you wouldn't be so uninformed about it at this point.
post #48 of 53 Old 09-17-2012, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Seemed like the hype overall for the Wii U is very muted
Sold-out preorders around the internet are looking at you with a collective "what you talkin about, Willis?" expression.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #49 of 53 Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Sold-out preorders around the internet are looking at you with a collective "what you talkin about, Willis?" expression.

My guess is that 60 percent of those preorders are from speculators, who have no intention of whatsoever keeping the hardware at those prices. They will put those systems on Ebay and Craigslist immediately after purchasing them, (if not before hand), and when their return period is about to run out on their receipt, they will return any unsold units they still have and get a refund. 40 percent of those preorders are from legitimate Nintendo fans that are keeping the system.
post #50 of 53 Old 09-18-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quite good read.

And this was pretty spot on.
Quote:
So, having worked with it, what do you think of the Wii U technology? Are there aspects and possibilities that aren't really being mentioned right now?

The Wii U technology is certainly interesting and unique in many ways. People in the gaming press have become very focussed on its power at the expense of its most unique aspect, the DRC controller. I've heard conflicting comments in the media on the Wii U capabilities, some more accurate than others, but suffice to say it's running our multi-platform HD game just fine. As with all new consoles it's too early to say just how far people will be able to push it once they get to grips with the hardware and work out the best way to make things for it, so it's unlikely you'll see any astonishing titles in the first year or so – but they will come. The differences in power and graphical fidelity are going to become much harder to distinguish in the coming years and this should hopefully bring about greater focus on gameplay and experience – something Nintendo have always excelled at.

post #51 of 53 Old 09-18-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have a hard time resisting new gadgets and miss having a Nintendo console (skipped Wii because it lacked HD). However, the only launch window game that interests me is ZombieU. If Zelda was available, I would have pre-ordered the deluxe version already. I'm still on the fence, but I better decide soon, because pre-orders are supposed to be selling out quickly.
post #52 of 53 Old 09-18-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 411
I'm surprise there's not more love for Super Mario Bros U.

It looks a lot like New Super Mario Bros 2 on 3DS, which is the best time I've had with a game this year. Of course I haven't cracked the shrink-wrap on Borderlands2 yet... wink.gif

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #53 of 53 Old 09-18-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page