post #1 of 53 Old 07-17-2012, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Two questions.

1. Are you buying one at launch ?

2. What's the most you're willing to pay ?

For me, the answer is

1. probably not

2. $199 until I see a killer app

I'm not down on the Wii U's potential, but the stuff that was shown at e3 was a big let down. Only game I'm really interested in is Zombie U, and somewhat interested in Pikmin 3. Still, those games don't even rank in my top 20 most wanted games coming in the next 10 months. No reason to go buy a system for a couple of games that I'm not even that hyped to get. I really thought there would be a killer mario game that would blow me away, and force me to buy the system. Like a Mario Galaxy but done in full blown HD and looking amazing. Starting with the Super Nintendo, I've bought every single Nintendo system on the day it launched. SNES, N64, GameCube and Wii. Wii U will be the first Nintendo home console since the original NES that I didn't get on launch day. Only things that could change that is if the price is $199.99. I might get caught up in the Xmas hype and want one at $199, but I seriously doubt they price it lower than $249.99, and knowing Nintendo, they will probably try $299.99 out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 07-17-2012, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
The Wii U is slated to have a Mario platformer launch during its launch window.

New Super Mario Brothers U is the name of it and it's only the 3rd sidescrolling Mario platformer to see release in the past two decades (Or perhaps the 4th, no one really knows when the exact release date of it is and we have NSMB2 for the 3DS coming this Fall as well which could beat it to store shelfs).

Of course it's not something I'd call a killer app since it's not really treading new territory. But neither was Super Mario Galaxy 2 yet it's one of the best titles on the Wii.
post #3 of 53 Old 07-17-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
1. Yup. I know full well what I'll likely be getting into, but I know I won't be able to stop myself.

2. $299.

Also, I believe New Super Mario Bros 2 for 3DS is confirmed for mid-August release, so it'll definitely be beating the Wii U version to shelves.
post #4 of 53 Old 07-17-2012, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Same as OP here

1) Not buying at launch. So far there's not a single game I'd HAVE to play, even the launch window titles look a bit soft. I might buy a 3DS XL, tho... if they bundle something at $199. Otherwise I can wait on that, too.

2) $199 preferably, $249 realistically.

The more I read/hear about WiiU, the more I think success is going to teeter around price point. 3DS proved to me that most people aren't willing to spend a premium for something with a cool, new proposition but no truly great improvements. Ninty over estimated how much people wanted 3DS pretty badly, and the panicked drop and rebound success at $169 showed what their audience is really looking for.
post #5 of 53 Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
1. Maybe. If I can preorder online or I run into one at the store. I won't wait in line for it.

2. I would pay up to 299 with NintendoLand. That's kind of what I'm expecting and it seems fair. 299 without a pack in and I'd be hesitant.
post #6 of 53 Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I've got too many games to finish as it is, so about $20.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #7 of 53 Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, it's amazing to me that some of you would pay 300 dollars (plus more for tax), for a Wii U. What launch game is worth spending about $388 after tax to get the machine and the game ? ($299 for Wii U, plus $59.99 for whatever game it is, plus tax) Three hundred and eighty eight beans..... That's a lot of money for a lineup of games that doesn't really make much sense. The only Wii U game that impressed me, was Zombie U. However, a game like Zombie U, while being the most interesting looking launch game for the Wii U, would be just another misc. PS3 or Xbox 360 game. In other words, Zombie U isn't really all that special. it's only special because it's the only Wii U game that looks like a game on a new console. Sure, I'm expecting that Pikmin 3 will be solid, but spending $388 to play Pikmin in HD ?

The mario game didn't impress me at all. I kinda liked New Super Mario Bros Wii, but to be honest, the NSMB thing is getting a bit old. The game is using polygons, not sprites, and something about it comes off a bit fake. There is definitely some of that Nintendo magic in the DS game and the Wii game, but something was also lost along the way. I can't even begin to explain how hyped I'd be if we were getting a true sequel to Super Mario World. I'm talking 2D. Not 3D, with 2D gameplay. I want the old sprites. I want the old jumping. Tons of parallax scrolling and tons of color and detail. Something about a 2D Mario game using polygons just isn't right to me. I don't mind the Galaxy games being 3D, it makes total sense when having a 3D game use polygons, but I wish that Nintendo's 2D remakes were "true' 2D remakes, without polygons.

When I look at the lineup of games that Nintendo has, there are only 3 games that interest me. Pikmin 3, Zombie U and Project P-100 from Platinum games. However, when I think about withdrawing $388 from my bank account, just so I can buy the system and one of those 3 games.... I don't know how you guys are willing to do that. I'd be right there with you guys, standing in line on launch nite, only if there was going to be a Metroid or Zelda or a "real" Mario. Hell, even a killer WaveRace or F-Zero. Maybe a new Donkey Kong game, or a Starfox or Pilotwings. Instead, at launch we are getting a bunch of misc. launch fodder, none of which is particularly attractive. Batman Arkham City and Mass Effect 3 ? Really ? I would have thought that anybody that wanted those games already played those games. Not sure why those companies are bothering with those games after they are already a year old.

I'm just not feeling it. Hopefully, Nintendo will spring a big launch surprise on us that they haven't revealed yet. That's really the only thing that could get me marginally interested in a Wii U. That, or a $199.99 price.
post #8 of 53 Old 07-19-2012, 02:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm still waiting for a $100 Xbox360, no freakin way man, bought a Ps3 at $400 because it came with a blu-ray player and that one was definitely not worth it with it breaking twice! Don't forget the games also cost money, these consoles are just not good values. I could upgrade my PC instead and wait for a steam sale (like the one going on now!) Never again! cool.gif

post #9 of 53 Old 07-19-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess for me, besides my rampant fanboyism that will almost certainly revive to out-of-control levels as we near launch, it's purely that $299 just seems like the fair, standard price to pay for a brand-new console these days. Simple as that. I mean, $199 is just NOT happening, they're definitely not pricing their big new home console at just $30 over their portable system. These are the people who originally asked $250 for that portable system, remember. We're solidly past the days of a home console launching at $199. $299 is the new $199, in other words.

I would prefer $249 obviously, and I'm not ruling that out as a launch price, depending on how self-aware Nintendo becomes on how unattractive a prospect the Wii U is. But you asked the maximum I'd be willing to pay, and that's $299. Anything above that, however, just seems greedy/stupid, and thus I wouldn't pay.
post #10 of 53 Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Wow, it's amazing to me that some of you would pay 300 dollars (plus more for tax), for a Wii U. What launch game is worth spending about $388 after tax to get the machine and the game ? ($299 for Wii U, plus $59.99 for whatever game it is, plus tax) Three hundred and eighty eight beans..... That's a lot of money for a lineup of games that doesn't really make much sense. The only Wii U game that impressed me, was Zombie U. However, a game like Zombie U, while being the most interesting looking launch game for the Wii U, would be just another misc. PS3 or Xbox 360 game. In other words, Zombie U isn't really all that special. it's only special because it's the only Wii U game that looks like a game on a new console. Sure, I'm expecting that Pikmin 3 will be solid, but spending $388 to play Pikmin in HD ?
The mario game didn't impress me at all. I kinda liked New Super Mario Bros Wii, but to be honest, the NSMB thing is getting a bit old. The game is using polygons, not sprites, and something about it comes off a bit fake. There is definitely some of that Nintendo magic in the DS game and the Wii game, but something was also lost along the way. I can't even begin to explain how hyped I'd be if we were getting a true sequel to Super Mario World. I'm talking 2D. Not 3D, with 2D gameplay. I want the old sprites. I want the old jumping. Tons of parallax scrolling and tons of color and detail. Something about a 2D Mario game using polygons just isn't right to me. I don't mind the Galaxy games being 3D, it makes total sense when having a 3D game use polygons, but I wish that Nintendo's 2D remakes were "true' 2D remakes, without polygons.
When I look at the lineup of games that Nintendo has, there are only 3 games that interest me. Pikmin 3, Zombie U and Project P-100 from Platinum games. However, when I think about withdrawing $388 from my bank account, just so I can buy the system and one of those 3 games.... I don't know how you guys are willing to do that. I'd be right there with you guys, standing in line on launch nite, only if there was going to be a Metroid or Zelda or a "real" Mario. Hell, even a killer WaveRace or F-Zero. Maybe a new Donkey Kong game, or a Starfox or Pilotwings. Instead, at launch we are getting a bunch of misc. launch fodder, none of which is particularly attractive. Batman Arkham City and Mass Effect 3 ? Really ? I would have thought that anybody that wanted those games already played those games. Not sure why those companies are bothering with those games after they are already a year old.
I'm just not feeling it. Hopefully, Nintendo will spring a big launch surprise on us that they haven't revealed yet. That's really the only thing that could get me marginally interested in a Wii U. That, or a $199.99 price.

Considering the current prices of the 360 and ps3, more powerful hardware, the controller, and nintendoland, 299 seems fair. Any more than that and I'll be waiting. I'd love to see 249 and I think it would help Nintendo move a lot of units, but I'm not sure how feasible that is.

Personally, I think Nintendoland and NSMB should be a lot of fun for the family around the holidays. Considering what dinner and a movie costs us, that's not a terrible proposition. Pikmin 3 will be a buy. Zombi-U's latest build looks fantastic and P-100 shows promise. Plus Nintendo hasn't shown anything other than launch titles yet and has kept a lid on 3rd parties. Hopefully this fall they will open up a bit and show us some of what's coming.
post #11 of 53 Old 07-20-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:

Two questions.
1. Are you buying one at launch ?
2. What's the most you're willing to pay ?

1. Yes.
2. Whatever they ask.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 53 Old 07-20-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Nintendo realizes how important price will be.

Link
Quote:
Microsoft's one-year head start on Sony this generation is often cited as one of the reasons the Xbox 360 has established such a dominant lead over the PlayStation 3.

By that logic, the Wii U should be in a good position for the next generation, given it will have at least one year to build an installed base before it has to worry about competition for other console makers. Satoru Iwata, Nintendo's global president, however, isn't a big believer in that theory. First to market, he says, might be a nice bragging right, but in terms of the bottom-line, it's relatively meaningless.

"Being first in the next generation race is not important at all," he tells Gamasutra. "One of the reasons we believe this is the time for Nintendo to launch the Wii U is it's going to be important for the world."

That's a big, some might say haughty claim, but Iwata explains the rationale behind it.

When the Wii launched, HD TVs were hardly commonplace, something that has changed today. In the interim, though, the second screen has become a force to deal with.

Apple's iPads, and other tablets, are expensive, though – and the Wii U offers an alternative. In addition, Iwata doesn't believe people who have bought a high definition television in the past few years are likely to buy a replacement model for five years or so.

There's a lot of pressure on the Wii U. Nintendo recently reported the first corporate loss in the company's history as a publicly traded firm. Iwata says he does not expect that to be repeated next year.

"Our intention is to return to profitability after just one year of losing money," he says. "I just cannot say that it's a good thing for Nintendo at all to record an annual loss for two or more years in a row. … The [loss of the] past year is due to the 3DS hardware sales. We were selling hardware below the cost, so this year we are already recovering and improving the profitability of the 3DS."

(Iwata says Nintendo is still losing money on 3DS hardware, but that will change "in the very near future … based up on where we are today in terms of our schedule to return to profitability.")

While Nintendo hasn't announced pricing or a launch date for the Wii U, Iwata says the company learned a lot with the launch of the 3DS handheld system, on which it was forced to slash prices just months after the system launched in the U.S. due to poor sales.

"The pricing of Wii U is going to be one of the most important elements when it is going to be launched," he says. "The environment is different. Wii U is going to be launching in a different environment than when the Wii was launched. Also, the involvement surrounding [mobile and social] businesses is different than several years ago."

As for the struggling Wii, don't expect it to go away forever when the Wii U hits shelves later this year. Iwata says that although Nintendo's focus will have shifted, he recognizes there will still be a market for the device.

While doubters have long since declared it dead, he still sees a lot of money left in the system – in both international markets and domestic.

Speaking of dead, don't think Iwata hasn't heard the catcalls about the Wii U simply matching the power of the Xbox 360 or PS3. And he's certainly heard the grumbles of forum dwellers that believe Nintendo should give up and begin licensing its games.

They're annoying, but Iwata points out that Nintendo has been dealing with premature obituaries for years.

"Even when we were going to launch the Wii system, there were a lot of voices saying 'Nintendo should stop making hardware'," he says. "The reasoning behind that was Nintendo would not have any chance against Microsoft and Sony. The fact of the matter was: I did not think Nintendo should compete against these companies with the same message and same entertainment options for people.

"We have not changed our strategy. In other words, we just do not care what kind of 'more beef' console Microsoft and Sony might produce in 2013. Our focus is on how we can make our new console different than [others]."
post #13 of 53 Old 07-20-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

So they don't care what the competition is doing yet their focus is on making the Wii U different than the competition?

Someone please explain how those two go together.
post #14 of 53 Old 07-21-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the "more beef" thing got a bit muddled in translation I'm assuming, but I think he means that they "don't care about the competition" in terms of competing on raw processing power, but are instead focused on providing a play experience unique to their own console. Same story as the Wii and 3DS, in other words.
post #15 of 53 Old 07-22-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 55
For me it comes down to the games - how they look and how they control. If there are good games at launch and they control well then I'll take the plunge. But overall, based on what I've seen and read, I'm inclined to pass as I really didn't care for how motion control was implemented in 90% of the games I tried this generation. The lineup of announced Wii-U games also looks uninteresting to me and the console specs seem unimpressive. I'm fairly confident Nintendo will release the console at $249.99, see what the response is and proceed from there.
post #16 of 53 Old 07-23-2012, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I guess for me, besides my rampant fanboyism that will almost certainly revive to out-of-control levels as we near launch, it's purely that $299 just seems like the fair, standard price to pay for a brand-new console these days. Simple as that. I mean, $199 is just NOT happening, they're definitely not pricing their big new home console at just $30 over their portable system. These are the people who originally asked $250 for that portable system, remember. We're solidly past the days of a home console launching at $199. $299 is the new $199, in other words.
I would prefer $249 obviously, and I'm not ruling that out as a launch price, depending on how self-aware Nintendo becomes on how unattractive a prospect the Wii U is. But you asked the maximum I'd be willing to pay, and that's $299. Anything above that, however, just seems greedy/stupid, and thus I wouldn't pay.

Man, that fanboyism thing that Nintendo has going for them is worth it's weight in gold. I'm sure Sony has their share of die-hard fanboys, and even Microsoft has their "x-bots", but nobody holds a candle to Nintendo (well actually Apple has a very, very big candle). Nintendo has no idea how good they have it. They could put a fresh pile of dog doo-doo in a shoe box, and call it the Super Wii, and sell it for $299 and somebody would buy it. No joke. It's like Nintendo can do no wrong in the eyes of their most hardcore fans.

I used to be a hardcore Nintendo fanboy as well, but that was back in the SNES days, and the early N64 days. I'd say, that around 1998 I started to get bored of the N64 fare, and I kinda jumped off the hardcore Nintendo fanboy train at that point. I still bought a GameCube on launch day, hoping their former glory (NES & SNES) would return. I also bought a Wii on launch day, thinking it would be new and fresh. In fact, I've bought every single Nintendo home console on launch day except the NES. I bought the SNES on launch day, and it certainly didn't disappoint me. Still, to this day, I think the SNES is the best gaming system "pound for pound" of all time. My top 50 games of all time list is littered with SNES games all over the place. Nothing was quite like the Super Nintendo. Amazing color, amazing sound. Yeah, some early games had slowdown, and sports were almost always better on the Genesis, but SNES was a true champion. The Nintendo 64 amazed me when I attended the e3 show in 1996. I saw Mario 64 and other N64 games before they became available later that year. It was a fanboy's dream to hold that N64 controller in my hands while playing Mario 64 during that e3. It seemed like I was in a dream or something. I got my N64 on launch day, and played the crap out of Mario 64 for many months. I ended up souring on the N64 though, because it became the great waiting game. I was always waiting for that next big game to come out, and the games were way too far away from each other. You'd basically only get one decent game per quarter (if that). In 1998, I started to get into PC gaming more (3dfx anybody ?), but I still bought a GameCube at launch. I actually liked Luigi's Mansion quite a bit, and I really loved the WaveRace sequel. (the first WaveRace was amazing as well). I also liked the Rogue Squadron game for GameCube. The thing that really disappointed me though was Mario sunshine. I know that Mario Sunshine doesn't suck as much as I thought it did back then (my expectations were thru the roof), but it was still a HUGE disappointment to me. Mario was my bread and butter. I rank Super Mario World as the best video game EVER. Super Mario 64 at that time, was definitely a top 10 best game ever for me as well. The original Super Mario Bros. on NES is also a top 10 of all time game for me. Their first 3 home systems, all featured an amazing Mario game at launch. Why did that change with the GameCube? It wouldn't have been so bad if Mario Sunshine was significantly better than Super Mario 64, but I actually think it was a worse game (despite slightly better graphics). Anyways, besides a few games here and there, my GameCube didn't get much use. I bought a Wii on launch day as well, mostly because I got caught up in the novelty of it all. The Wii is a truly a unique device that has a unique flavor all it's own, but that feeling didn't last very long at all. My Wii was collecting major dust after a couple of years.

Here we are again with a new system coming out, and I'd love to continue my streak of buying Nintendo home consoles on launch day, but unless there are some huge launch games that are being kept secret, it's not going to happen. I try not to buy a gaming system if there isn't at least one really compelling game. After looking at everything that was shown, there isn't a single game on the Wii U that is compelling me to spend close to $400 to bring the experience home. Zombie U is probably the closest thing, but I just don't think it's all that amazing. If Zombie U was a 360 or PS3 exclusive, would I really even care about it ? Probably not. Pikmin 3 does look really good, but not nearly 400 dollars good. The Platinum games Wii U game looks interesting, but I'd need to see a bunch more of it, before I would know if that's something that I'd really be into. Normally, a legit Mario game would get me to spend the money, but the Mario that's coming at launch has this "been there, done that" look to it. Maybe I'll see more videos and stuff of it, and change my mind, but it seems to be too similar to NSMB Wii . I can't even begin to explain how hyped I'd be if instead of the polygon based NSMB Wii U, we got a legit 2D, sprite based game.

I'm still hopeful that Nintendo might have kept something hidden. Maybe they have a launch game, that is going to be available in stores in 2012, but hasn't been revealed yet ? I certainly hope they do.

I think Nintendo got a bit of some harsh reality from e3. Nintendo was likely expecting tons of enthusiasm and excitement about the Wii U, but instead, they mostly were told that everybody was pretty underwhelmed by everything they saw. Nintendo wasn't expecting that reaction, but I think it's going to be very hard for them to internally spin the lack of enthusiasm by the general populace that saw what they had. Nintendo was smart not to announce a price at e3, because I'm guessing that if they stuck to that price, they would have had disappointing sales. I'd guess that they were hoping to launch at $299 or even $349.99, but there is no chance they will try $349, and $299 is looking less and less likely. I think they launch at $249, and thank their lucky stars that they have enough Nintendo fanboys around the world to ensure a sellout. However, once the initial wave of fanboys is satiated, then I think it's gonna be all downhill from there for Nintendo, unless they are hiding some amazing games that would be coming VERY soon to the Wii U, to save it's lackluster sales (launch sellout, but Spring 2013 tons of Wii U's sitting on store shelves)

I'm sure they are working on a legit Mario, a Zelda and probably a new Donkey Kong. But, when will any of those big blockbusters see the light of day ? We could be looking at 2014 by the time those games are finally ready. Will anybody care then? I'm sure the diehard fanboys will be there, ready to welcome those games with open arms, but I'm getting too old for this type of thing. I no longer will buy systems unless there is truly something compelling, that is forcing me to spend my hard earned bucks. I do want to play a legit HD Zelda, or a legit Metroid, etc, etc, but I can wait for those games to actually arrive in stores before I plunk down any money on a Wii U. It sucks that my streak of buying Nintendo home consoles on launch day will be broken, but unless Nintendo can pull a rabbit out of it's hat between now and November, I just don't see the streak surviving.
post #17 of 53 Old 07-24-2012, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 
Man, that fanboyism thing that Nintendo has going for them is worth it's weight in gold. I'm sure Sony has their share of die-hard fanboys, and even Microsoft has their "x-bots", but nobody holds a candle to Nintendo (well actually Apple has a very, very big candle). Nintendo has no idea how good they have it. They could put a fresh pile of dog doo-doo in a shoe box, and call it the Super Wii, and sell it for $299 and somebody would buy it. No joke. It's like Nintendo can do no wrong in the eyes of their most hardcore fans.

That name would have solved so much... I'm serious. First thing I thought: "WiiU? What kinda name is that"?

You want fanboys drooling, give us a bunch of updated retro games ala DKCR and some 2D platformers on a system called the Super Wii.

insta-bazzilions.

As it is they've yet to inspire any confidence in most gamers, even some of us OG Nintnedo fans. I know folks here were happy with games like PilotWings Resort,Steel Diver and SFIV when 3DS launched (and 2 of those could easily have been downloadable titles), but lacking any substantive games made the $249 pricetag a tough pill to swallow. WiiU @ $299 with basically only Pikmin 3, P-100 and ZombieU is looking eerily similar.

Off topic: Is it just me, or are Pikmin and P-100 kinda the same, just reskinned and with a slightly different strategy? You lead a group of things around... not a lot of differences between the 2 on a surface level.
post #18 of 53 Old 07-24-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

This list doesn't include the coming but unannounced titles that have been heavily hinted at by EA and Activision like Blops2, 007, Madden, Fifa, etc.

Xbox 360

Amped 3 (2K Sports)
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII (Ubisoft)
Burnout Revenge (EA Games)
Call of Duty 2 (Activision)
College Hoops 2K6 (2K Sports)
Condemned: Criminal Origins (Sega)
Dead or Alive 4 (Tecmo)
Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires (Koei)
Far Cry Instincts: Predator (Ubisoft)
FIFA 06: Road to the FIFA World Cup (EA Sports)
Fight Night Round 3 (EA Sports)
Full Auto (Sega)
Gun (Activision)
Kameo: Elements of Power (MGS)
Madden NFL 06 (EA Sports)
NBA 2K6 (2K Sports)
NBA Live 06 (EA Sports)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (EA Games)
NHL 2K6 (2K Sports)
Perfect Dark Zero (MGS)
Peter Jackson's King Kong (Ubisoft)
Project Gotham Racing 3 (MGS)
Quake 4 (Activision)
Ridge Racer 6 (Namco)
Rumble Roses XX (Konami)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 (EA Sports)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda)
The Outfit (THQ)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (Ubisoft)
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (Activision)
Top Spin 2 (2K Sports)

PlayStation 3

Armored Core 4 (Sega)
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII (Ubisoft)
Call of Duty 3 (Activision)
College Hoops 2K7 (2K Sports)
Def Jam Icon (EA Games)
Fight Night Round 3 (EA Sports)
Formula One Championship Edition (SCE)
Full Auto 2: Battlelines (Sega)
Genji: Days of the Blade (SCE)
Madden NFL 07 (EA Sports)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Activision)
MLB 2K7 (2K Sports)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire (Namco Bandai)
MotorStorm (SCE)
NBA 07 (SCE)
NBA 2K7 (2K Sports)
NBA Street: Homecourt (EA Games)
Need for Speed: Carbon (EA Games)
NHL 2K7 (2K Sports)
Resistance: Fall of Man (SCE)
Ridge Racer 7 (Namco Bandai)
Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda)
The Godfather: The Don's Edition (EA Games)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (EA Sports)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Ubisoft)
Tony Hawk's Project 8 (Activision)
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom (SOE)
Virtua Fighter 5 (Sega)
Virtua Tennis 3 (Sega)

Wii U

Aliens: Colonial Marines (Sega)
Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft)
Avengers: Battle for Earth (Ubisoft)
Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition (WB Games)
Ben 10 Omniverse (D3 Publisher)
Darksiders II (THQ)
Family Party: 30 Great Games (D3 Publisher)
Game & Wario (Nintendo)
Injustice: Gods Among Us (WB Games)
Jett Tailfin (Maximum Games)
Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft)
Lego City Undercover (Nintendo)
Mass Effect III (EA Games)
NBA 2K13 (2K Sports)
New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo)
Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge (Nintendo)
Nintendo Land (Nintendo)
Pikmin 3 (Nintendo)
Project P-100 (Nintendo)
Rabbids Land (Ubisoft)
Rayman Legends (Ubisoft)
Rise of the Guardians (D3 Publisher)
Scribblenauts Unlimited (WB Games)
SiNG (Nintendo)
Skylanders: Giants (Activision)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Sega)
Sports Connection (Ubisoft)
Tank! Tank! Tank! (Namco Bandai)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Namco Bandai)
Transformers Prime (Activision)
YourShape: Fitness Evolved 2013 (Ubisoft)
Wii Fit U (Nintendo)
ZombiU (Ubisoft)

3ds

Pilotwings Resort
Steel Diver
Nintendogs + Cats
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
The Sims 3
Madden NFL Football
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Ridge Racer 3D
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Bust-A-Move Universe
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
Asphalt 3D
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
Rayman 3D
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
post #19 of 53 Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad it's launching with a 2D Mario platformer, but I wish there was something else. It needs something like a new Metroid game or some other big name Nintendo property, some nice HD collections (It's too soon for Skyward Sword, but Wind Waker and Twilight Princess would be ideal as would a redone version of the Metroid Prime Trilogy), etc.

It's not such a hot lineup in my eyes. Haven't even gotten around to playing Pikmin 1/2 yet on my Wii so I'm not ready for Pikmin 3 yet. The multiplatform releases would be played on my 360. Didn't like Rayman Origins (Which pains me to say) so Rayman Legends isn't going to be for me. Had my fill of Scribblenauts playing through the original DS game. NintendoLand looked like a bore. And so on...

The only sure buy is NSMBU, I'm intrigued by Lego City Undercover, and Pikmin 3 is a possibility someday.
post #20 of 53 Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 PM

Liked: 10
I will buy at launch.

I will pay almost any price, but I hope it won't be more than $249.

As many other people, I'm buying it for Nintendo's own titles which you can't find on any other platform. While ZombiU looks good, Ubisoft failed me with Red Steel on the Wii, so I don't trust them (Red Steel 2 was ace though). And I don't want 360/Ps3 ports with gimmick controls tacked on.
post #21 of 53 Old 07-28-2012, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

super_mario_wii_u_screen2.png

One thing that worries me a bit about the Super Mario game, is that the backgrounds have no extra parallax scrolling. It's bad enough that instead of legitimate hand drawn sprites, we are getting polygonal characters on a 2D plane. If the backgrounds had several layers of depth, I think the game would look much better. I also think that there is too much weird stuff going on in the game, compared to stuff like Super Mario World and SMB3. I don't know why, but it seems like the gameplay has been cheapened in some way. Kinda reminds me of the Star Wars prequels. It's like we've waited forever for the return of 2D Mario, but I'm not sure that I'm getting the 2D Mario that I was hoping for. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will be a fun play, but this game is going to have to wait, cause I'm not getting a Wii U at launch. Not until a game is available that knocks my socks off. Plus, that's a ton of money to spend, when there are going to be two more new consoles coming one year later.

I've got a decent gaming PC right now, that can hold me over until all 3 systems are available. It will be tempting to get a Wii U if the price is $249.99 or less, but until there are several must have games, I'll pass..

I hope I can borrow somebodies Wii U along with the Mario game for a couple of days though....
post #22 of 53 Old 07-28-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

While it's a sure buy for me, you're preaching to the choir where I'm concerned. I thought the first two games were good but fell well short of things like SMB3 and SMW in many ways.

This next round of titles looks set to again be average Mario sidescrolling platformers.

But an average Mario platformer is still going to have my interest. I'd rather play one of these games solidly in the B category if I was personally to review it than dozens of the AAA first person shooters and such getting 9's and 10's from mainstream media outlets.

So one way or another, it will be joining my collection. The only question mark is when that day will be since I'm not going to be in at launch.
post #23 of 53 Old 07-28-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I mean, no question it's going to be a good game. I just wish Nintendo would figure out a way to emulate the Super Mario World engine, and just make a new game with tons of new levels. Tons more color on screen. More layers of parallx scrolling backgrounds. More details and animations (although not too much to make it look vastly different than World ) Dolby Digital 5.1 sound (hopefully 7.1 as well ) in game. That would be like my dream come true. Everybody says that the Wii version of NSMB is like Super Mario World and Super Mario 3, but to me, it's just not the same. Something about it is just a little bit wrong. It's still cool of course. Still a great game. But something is just a little bit off from 3 and World. I'd much rather have a game using World's engine with just newly designed levels.

I almost wouldn't even want them to give me new enemies or abilities, because I'm sure some of them will irritate the hell out of me. I'd rather they just use the "keep it simple stupid" moto.
post #24 of 53 Old 07-29-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Glad it's launching with a 2D Mario platformer, but I wish there was something else. It needs something like a new Metroid game or some other big name Nintendo property, some nice HD collections (It's too soon for Skyward Sword, but Wind Waker and Twilight Princess would be ideal as would a redone version of the Metroid Prime Trilogy), etc.
It's not such a hot lineup in my eyes. Haven't even gotten around to playing Pikmin 1/2 yet on my Wii so I'm not ready for Pikmin 3 yet. The multiplatform releases would be played on my 360. Didn't like Rayman Origins (Which pains me to say) so Rayman Legends isn't going to be for me. Had my fill of Scribblenauts playing through the original DS game. NintendoLand looked like a bore. And so on...
The only sure buy is NSMBU, I'm intrigued by Lego City Undercover, and Pikmin 3 is a possibility someday.

This is the part that baffles me a bit. It's almost August and Nintendo still has everything hush hush. I guess they are waiting for September and the 3ds launch to let people talk. Depending on performance I could see myself buying multiplats at least for the next year or so on the Wii U until I pick up a durango/orbis. The thing is, we know very little about the performance or features multiplats will have compared to other consoles at this point.

This is from a developer who's game is confirmed. Darksiders II Interview

Q: THQ was one of the very first third-parties to jump on Wii U. You've got Darksiders II coming up for Wii U. Do you find it frustrating that - on the consumer-side at least - Nintendo is being very shy about the console's power? Is it frustrating to see people still having that argument when you know exactly what it can and can't do?

HD: Er...

Q: Do you wish Nintendo would just come out and say?

HD: Oh, of course. Yeah. It's awkward because when people ask questions about [Wii U] we've got to skirt around the answer. We obviously want them to come out with it because then we can just talk openly about the game. I'd rather just be open with people than spinning the answer back at somebody. As soon as they just come out and everything's revealed it would take a little bit of weight off us as developers so we can be a little bit more open about the product.

Q: You probably can't answer this next question, then. Does Darksiders II perform better on Wii U than it does on 360 and PS3?

HD: You already knew that I can't answer that question. [Laughs] I hate it, dude.

Q: That must be frustrating as well?

HD: It is, because that's just like a line that Nintendo have said [inaudible]. THQ are just running it by the line now. We just don't want to... I guess it's because Nintendo have always been about the games. They've been about certain hardware - analogue stick and things like that - but they've never really pushed technically being the best.

They've always kind of rehashed stuff. The Wii Motion stuff, they just kind of took things in a slightly different direction but they've never been the biggest on the technology front. They would just want people to focus on the game. It's like, if we give you a good game, is it really about how many polys this thing can push around or is it about what interesting new gameplay experiences we can give a player? Which is more important? Is it visuals or is it the experiences you can give the player?
post #25 of 53 Old 07-29-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I love the van gogh background.

I thought NSMB Wii was fantastic. Multiplayer was a great addition that provided a lot of hilarious moments. World 8 was platforming awesomeness.

The DS version was a bit lacking I thought though. It was just too easy.
post #26 of 53 Old 07-30-2012, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I almost wouldn't even want them to give me new enemies or abilities, because I'm sure some of them will irritate the hell out of me. I'd rather they just use the "keep it simple stupid" moto.

Yep

What I want where a sidescrolling Mario platformer is concerned would be essentially a cross between what Capcom did with Mega Man 9/10 with new original releases done in the style of classic games in the series, the HD sprites of some of Capcom's digital releases of classic games, and with just a tad of advances tossed in like perhaps a few more layers of backdrop scrolling and maintaining the multiplayer option of the existing NSMB series. I wouldn't even want an orchestrated musical score. I'd want music that would sound at home coming out of the Sony audio chip of a Super Nintendo.

And most of all, not a polygon in sight.
post #27 of 53 Old 07-30-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I haven't really looked much at NSMBWii U, but that screenshot looks awesome, Monger. Hopefully other levels look as weird and stylized.

Call me soulless, but I guess I am a little excited merely by the prospect of finally having Nintendo franchises in HD. I suppose I don't have quite the sprite art and parallax scrolling fetish that some of you guys do. Don't get me wrong, art style matters, but it would have to be aggressively bad for it to put a damper on a fun game for me. (For instance, the Batman Arkham games come close, but not quite.)
post #28 of 53 Old 07-30-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

The game looks far better in carefully selected screenshots than it does it motion.

If you fire up some gameplay videos and trailers, it looks very much like the original DS game and the Wii release.
post #29 of 53 Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

post #30 of 53 Old 07-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Looks like mario in HD. The Boo stage is particularly nice, but since when were good games about graphics? That kind of thinking led to Final Fantasy 13.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page