New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 151
So this went on sale in the eShop late last night, and I'm up to world 2-A... It's a fun game, just like NSMB was on the DS and Wii, but I have to admit that as I play it, I can't help but think that the series needs a bigger shakeup than just "collect 1 million coins!"

Has anyone else tried this yet and feels the same way, or is it just me?

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-19-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another thing that's stupidly disappointing. There's a quick-save function in the game that lets you save at any point. So how come when I close out of the game from the menu screen, it doesn't automatically do a quick save and instead just loses any data since the last save? I only did one level and then tested it to see, but it just is kind of dumb on Nintendo's part, as far as I'm concerned.

post #3 of 13 Old 08-20-2012, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The 3DS doesn't do iOS style save-states. Yes, it would be very nice if the 3DS OS did this, but that is in no way an issue with NSMB2.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-20-2012, 02:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I remember the quick save concept from NSMB Wii. It is dumb. In that game, you had to beat a castle (world or half-world) before it would save your progress. So if you beat a hard level and you can't beat the next one, you're screwed.

There were suggestions to get around this (beating the first mini boss every time you wanted to save) but it's still goofy. In galaxy or 3d land, it saves after beating each level. That way makes sense to me, as someone who usually picks up the game, plays two levels, and puts it away for a week.

Most other game developers progressed past the concept of fixed save points about six years ago, but nintendo is still dragging their ass.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #5 of 13 Old 08-20-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

The 3DS doesn't do iOS style save-states. Yes, it would be very nice if the 3DS OS did this, but that is in no way an issue with NSMB2.

Yeah, I'm not talking about a save state, but the game does have the option to do a "Quick Save" anywhere from the map, which lets you save it and return to the menu at any point, but it deletes that save as soon as you load it. As far as I'm concerned, it should automatically do one of those quick saves to at least the last level you completed before you close it. I realize that save states aren't possible, but it doesn't seem like there's any limitation that would stop you from doing this, especially since other 3DS games do save when you close them.

Anyway, that's the most minor of annoyances.

As far as the game itself, I'm up to something like World 5 now, and I am enjoying it, but like I mentioned above, having played NSMB, NSMB Wii, and Super Mario 3D Land to completion, the gameplay does feel a little stale. In my mind, they need to go with the Mario Galaxy route. That was the same basic idea as Mario 64, but introduced an entirely concept to make the gameplay seem really fresh. Other than the coop in NSMB Wii and local coop in this, nothing has been done to change it up, except for the "collect a million coins" which just isn't enough as far as I'm concerned.

At the very least, they should move to the mechanics from Super Mario World at some point, maybe that would help. (And personally, I know I'm one of the few, but I wouldn't have minded a NSMB2 based on the mechanics of SMB2.) The problem is just that there's nothing in my mind to make this stand out from the other two NSMB games.

post #6 of 13 Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 AM

post #7 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
Just cause they're fun.

post #8 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
I've had it since Sunday, but only played a little here and there. I'm at World 5, but haven't done any of the hidden worlds yet. So far I've really been enjoying it. Talking about how stale it is seems to be the thing to do, but I've been having fun with it. There are a lot of secret areas and tough coins to get that it's been keeping it interesting. It's a definite step up from NSMB on the ds. No way I'll ever get to a million coins though.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Alright, I'm convinced - just ordered this from Amazon. smile.gif

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 AM

On World 2. Having a blast. The coin rush mode is a lot of fun. It gives you a short timer to speed run the world, giving you a pressure that you don't see in Mario much these days. At the same time you are trying to get the most amount of coins to compete with others over Street Pass. I can't wait to bring my 3DS to PAX next week. smile.gif
post #11 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

I've had it since Sunday, but only played a little here and there. I'm at World 5, but haven't done any of the hidden worlds yet. So far I've really been enjoying it. Talking about how stale it is seems to be the thing to do, but I've been having fun with it. There are a lot of secret areas and tough coins to get that it's been keeping it interesting. It's a definite step up from NSMB on the ds. No way I'll ever get to a million coins though.

Yeah, it's going to take a lot of dedication to get a million coins. I've unlocked most of the levels at this point, except for the first secret world, and I'm at somewhere around 40,000 still. I've heard the reward isn't even really worth it either.

As for the stale thing, like I said it's definitely not a bad game, I just feel like they could have probably done more. That's still better than most platformers, but I wouldn't personally put it at the level of NSMB Wii or Super Mario 3D Land. I'd probably give it a 7 or so out of 10, personally.

I also think it's a mistake not taking advantage of the 3D a little more to make it stand out some. I know, a lot of people just turn the 3D slider off anyway, but Wario Land on the Virtual Boy did a much better job of using the 3D as a part of the game, while still being a 2D platformer. (And now that I think about it, I'd love to see that on the Virtual Console, preferably a full color version, but even if they kept the all red look).

Coin Rush is a great twist, I just wish Nintendo would step into the modern era and do online leaderboards for something like that, instead of it only being via StreetPass.

post #12 of 13 Old 08-26-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Thanks for the suggestion on this game guys - holy crap, New Super Mario Brothers 2 awesome!

It might be the shiny new XL, but NSMB2 got it's hooks into me this weekend. I was hesitant based on reading mediocre responses: some people complaining about the lack of innovation. They are either jaded and/or spoiled, because IMO this game does everything a Mario game should, and does it well. The level design is as brilliant as the great Mario games from the past, and the game really encourages replaying levels. LOVE the coin rush challenges!

It's great to play a 2D game with a very light dusting of 3D - unnecessary, but doesn't feel gimmicky, and unlike most other 3D titles, is very easy on the eyes. I never once had the urge to turn the 3D off, which I can't say for any of the other 3DS games I've played. I hope other 2D games use 3D in this way.

Between Super Mario 3D Land and NSMB2, Mario is very well represented on the 3DS so far.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
well, I still haven't played this, but this is funny enough to post:

Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page