Have I ruined Xenoblade's biggest twist before playing it? (Big Spoilers) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've been playing with the Dolphin emulation lately (I dunno the forum rules on emulation talk but for what it's worth I own a Wii and a copy of Xenoblade) and in the process of looking for optimization tweaks to get the game running smooth I stumbled into a forum thread that revealed a few rather huge plot points for me. A) I now know Fiora is alive (big deal because I found her death to be quite moving), B) I know she has a mechon body (so I now know she's alive, and how she's alive), C) I know people can be turned into mechon (that seems pretty huge), and D) I know Metalface is Mumkhar (meh, I actually had a sneaking suspicion, still would have preferred to not know). That's a whole lot of spoilerage for a game I had really fallen in love with and found myself invested in the story of. I was only at the Bionis' knee when I read this stuff too. I'm rather angry about this and haven't been able to boot up the game since because I just keep thinking how annoyed I'm going to be when I reach those plot points.

So in an effort to chill out I figure I'll ask: How big a deal is this? I feel like I've had this game's "Aeris dies" moment ruined for me. Obviously I hadn't even scratched the surface of the plot but it's clear there's a pretty fantastic epic awaiting me. Have I spoiled the games best twists or are there a lot better "Holy hell WTF! YES" moments in store for me?

I've got the game shelved for now but I'm obviously going to go back to it just because it is fantastic. I just want to know I have a lot more great plot points to look forward to and haven't ruined the best of what the game was gonna throw at me.

Oh, and like I said I was only at the Bionis's knee so please don't outright mention any other plot points. The last event that occurred was fighting the second metal face you meet right before he kidnaps Juju.

Always remember: The pessimist is never disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 11:22 AM

It depends on what you're looking to get out of the game. Though Xenoblade has received critical acclaim, it's for different reasons. By and large, the story is your standard boy-meets-sword-becomes-unlikely-hero-tasked-to-save-the-world affair, and it's fairly saddled with JRPG cliches. But the sheer epicness of the world, and how well the story and characters are integrated into it, make the gaming experience very enjoyable.

It's unfortunate that you know such huge plot points already, so some of the dramatic moments will be lessened for you. But the overall experience is still worth it. I have Xenoblade in my Top 5 RPG list, coming from someone who has played over two decades worth of games in the genre.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-02-2012, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 549
The game drops a lot of hints before the big reveal, so it isn't a blind reveal for shock value. The real twists are much later, and they will shock you.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-03-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Much obliged to you both. I'm knee deep in Guild Wars 2 at the moment and just had The Last Story dropped in my lap so it's probably going to be some time before I get back to Xenoblade now but I'm much more excited to dive back in again. Thank you.

Always remember: The pessimist is never disappointed.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-03-2012, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch View Post

Much obliged to you both. I'm knee deep in Guild Wars 2 at the moment and just had The Last Story dropped in my lap so it's probably going to be some time before I get back to Xenoblade now but I'm much more excited to dive back in again. Thank you.

30 hours of hints dulls the reveal, but the events on Mechonis are truly impressive. (not much of a spoiler that you go to the other giant) There is a reason why I crowned Xenoblade as my Game of this Generation.

The Last Story took me 27 hours to finish (including the epilogue and all optional chapters) It is a scripted RPG and it is very well crafted. Xenoblade however, took me about 80 hours for the main plot and minimal side quests. It is a monster of an RPG, there is a whole game worth of content waiting for my next playthrough.

Both games offer a NG+ but Xenoblade's completly breaks the game (end game equips with no enemy upgrades) The Last Story ups the level of all Boss fights and summon circle (grind points) enemies. (and allows for massive upgrade abuse of all equipment)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page