post #1 of 26 Old 10-14-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/videos/#/nintendo-tvii

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/features/#/features-tvii

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/features/#/features-tv-remote

I'm very interested in the Wii U's TVii and remote control functions. I have a Harmony remote that is so well-used the buttons are starting to fail. If the GamePad functions like a Harmony remote, or if perhaps an app providing Harmony-like features is released, that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-15-2012, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Article from the San Jose Mercury News focusing on TVii:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2012/10/12/nintendo-tvii-may-be-the-most-overlooked-feature-on-wii-u/

Here's a good interview with Reggie Fils-Aime focused on TVii.
http://seattletimes.com/html/technologybrierdudleysblog/2019376473_qa_nintendo_boss_on_wii_u_appl.html

I notice Nintendo continues to talk about services (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) and only mentions TVs and cable boxes when talking about devices. IMHO, for TVii to work it has to control the receiver, Blu-Ray player, etc.
post #3 of 26 Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm surprised this thread doesn't have more activity. I think if the Wii U gamepad has the potential to be the coolest thing ever, especially from a home theatre standpoint. Although like you said a great deal of its usability will be based on its IR funtion. IE what devices will you be able to control (receiver most importantly) and will you be able to assign macros for input selection.

Other than that the pure entertainment features are phenominal. The universal program search for starters with theoretical shortcuts, as well as live game streaming and stats for sports programming. These features are a true step forward in home theatre / handheld secondary screen fusion.

I hope the technical abilities will live up to its feature potential.
post #4 of 26 Old 10-30-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I can only speak for myself, but I'm quiet on Wii U TVii because I expect it to be pretty bare-bones. I think anyone thinking the Gamepad can replace their universal remote has some disappointment coming.
post #5 of 26 Old 10-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I think it'd be great but Nintendo seems to be keeping mum about too many of their features. I'd love to see a touchscreen replace the controller-based menus on my ps3, which are frankly a pain in the butt. I'd love an easier way to find movies on netflix, turn on subtitles etc.

Hopefully reviews will start coming in the next few weeks and we can discover what the finished product will actually look like.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #6 of 26 Old 11-07-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I can only speak for myself, but I'm quiet on Wii U TVii because I expect it to be pretty bare-bones. I think anyone thinking the Gamepad can replace their universal remote has some disappointment coming.

Yeah, I argree with this. It's too bad really.... If Nintendo had went out of their way to somehow make the Wii U control pad double as some type of device that would control everything in your entertainment center, then that could have been a really powerful incentive to get me to buy one them. I'm sure it will just be bare bones type support.
post #7 of 26 Old 11-08-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Yeah, I argree with this. It's too bad really.... If Nintendo had went out of their way to somehow make the Wii U control pad double as some type of device that would control everything in your entertainment center, then that could have been a really powerful incentive to get me to buy one them. I'm sure it will just be bare bones type support.

I think it will be a bit more than bare bones, but it probably won't be full-featured as a Harmony. However, will there be a way for an app to provide full-featured functionality? Maybe Logitech will be able release a Harmony app for the Wii U? Ten days till we find out.

- Jasen.
post #8 of 26 Old 11-10-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Here's another link to more info:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/09/wii-us-tv-control-is-surprisingly-important/

"The Wii U GamePad features built-in universal remote functionality, allowing players to use the touchscreen to turn their TVs on and off, change channels, switch between various inputs, and control volume. It works with cable boxes as well. A "TV" button on the GamePad brings up the TV controls at any time."

No word on whether the Wii U will handle a receiver in the mix.

- Jasen.
post #9 of 26 Old 11-10-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, it better. Is it just IR codes? Wouldn't you almost have to go out of your way to have it work with all brands/models of TVs and cable boxes but NOT work with receivers? Even the crappy remote that came with my cable box can do that somewhat.
post #10 of 26 Old 11-11-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/07/i-spent-the-night-with-wii-u

"I’m still largely in the dark in regards to Miiverse and online connectivity, and the latter prevented me from checking out Nintendo TVii, one of the features I’m most looking forward to. Still, simply exploring this new method of game and television control was just enough to exemplify the new system’s potential."

"Another thing of note from my Wii U play time was how shockingly easy setting up the GamePad for television control is..."

"With Wii U, all you have to do is select your box’s manufacturer (which is likely emblazoned just under the screen) and the system will automatically do the rest. Both times I’ve gone through this process, the Wii U synced perfectly with my television on the first try, and within a matter of seconds."

Sounds like we're going to have to wait until after the 18th for the TVii feature to be fully revealed.
post #11 of 26 Old 11-16-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Sounds like we're going to have to wait until after the 18th for the TVii feature to be fully revealed.

"After the 18th" was a good prediction.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #12 of 26 Old 11-27-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/27/wii-u-tvii-service-launching-in-japan-dec-8/

"The TV remote control function of the GamePad, which allows you to turn on your TV and change channels, inputs, and volume, will be a ¥100 eShop download in Japan."

I'm not hearing good things about Wii U's support for receivers. Hopefully the above indicates a third-party (Logitech) could offer a replacement remote control app. But I'm not getting warm-fuzzies about the Wii U's capabilities out of the box.
post #13 of 26 Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM

Liked: 93
I went through the entire Marantz/Denon remote option last night on my Wii U. None of them would control my receiver's input or volume. The Samsung codes work great for my display's input and volume, but of course that only ever sits on HDMI-1 and the speakers are turned off.

As it stands, TVii is useless.
post #14 of 26 Old 11-27-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Definitely hope the TV mode is the tip of the iceberg since I need at least basic AVR functionality (switching/power/volume) in addition to the TV's controls. I don't expect it to ever replace my Harmony but I hope some apps show up and expand on the great promise of the Gamepad.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #15 of 26 Old 12-19-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like TVii will be out tomorrow. I look forward to reading all about it from the discriminating AVS Forum members.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/12/wii_u_tvii_app_goes_live_in_north_america_on_20th_december

- Jasen.
post #16 of 26 Old 12-19-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Looks like TVii will be out tomorrow. I look forward to reading all about it from the discriminating AVS Forum members.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/12/wii_u_tvii_app_goes_live_in_north_america_on_20th_december

Gah... no TiVo or Netflix support. mad.gif

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #17 of 26 Old 12-20-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey, could be worse, at least TiVo and Netflix support are confirmed as coming at some point (and soon), instead of them saying something like "We do not believe this is a relationship that would benefit our customers at time." Or y'know, the complete silence on the lack of ability to control AVRs.
post #18 of 26 Old 12-20-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Here's Reggie's interview with the TVii developers.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/reggie-asks-nintendo-tvii/0/0

The interview is focused almost entirely on content and the experience within the TVii service. Very little about supported devices.

"Of course, if you've recorded that show already—maybe it was last night's episode—it's going to be on your DVR. And so selecting it from the GamePad at that point means that we'll actually digitally communicate with the TiVo unit that you own and we'll start the playback immediately from there. In the future, of course, we hope to add support for other DVRs, but in early 2013, you'll see the integration with TiVo."

I suspect there are deep technical problems here. Is there even a way to tell my cable box DVR "play 'The Daily Show' from two nights ago" via IR? Or does it understand primitive commands like "Show DVR menu" "Up" "Select" "Play". I believe my DVR has some network capabilities, so if the Wii U can talk to it over the network, there's hope. But that assumes my home network is configured a certain way. (I happen to have my home network NATed behind a router connected to my cable modem. Nothing on my network can see or be seen by the cable modem or DVR.)

"Nintendo TVii's remote functionality delivers simplicity by offering control that spans the areas that Brad mentioned earlier: controlling linear TV, controlling your DVR, and being able to launch a video application and arrive at your desired program. So it's this super remote control that spans your cable or satellite box, your DVR, and Wii U applications."

No mention of home theaters, or receivers, or anything like that. All TV, cable/satellite box, or DVR. Doesn't sound like anyone should be selling their Harmony remotes just yet.

- Jasen.
post #19 of 26 Old 12-20-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

My early impressions of TVii:

I have NO idea what this service is supposed to do or is trying to be.

Pretty easy to set up, though. No additional downloads needed.
post #20 of 26 Old 12-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

My early impressions of TVii:
I have NO idea what this service is supposed to do or is trying to be.
Pretty easy to set up, though. No additional downloads needed.

it's just a media hub that is supposed to intergrate netflix/hulu/amazon etc all in 1 with a tv guide/remote control for your cable/sat box.

similar to the kinect and bing search on xbox, it asks you which service do you want to use to watch a movie.

post #21 of 26 Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
You have to remember that there is a gold rush going on right now to marry Internet with your TV in the living room. Apple has AppleTV, Google has GoogleTV, MS has Xbox, etc. Nintendo at least needs to defend the turf. Nintendo wants to be THE living room device.
post #22 of 26 Old 12-22-2012, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Everyone else has a major headstart. They do seem to have the best input method, unless you can use your ipad with your appletv. Google TV tried something with a keyboard on the back of a remote, looked crazy.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #23 of 26 Old 12-24-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Everyone else has a major headstart. They do seem to have the best input method, unless you can use your ipad with your appletv. Google TV tried something with a keyboard on the back of a remote, looked crazy.

I use an iPad or iPod Touch w/ Apple TV all the time. While Apple TV lacks its own Pandora or Spotify apps, the iOS apps on other iOS devices marry perfectly w/ Apple's hockey puck set top via AirPlay. Amazon video we get on AppleTV via our Mac via AirPlay or a Kindle Fire HD to TV via HDMI. If I had a Wii U - and not sure at this point if I even want one - I do not see TVii being a major reason to have one in the living room.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #24 of 26 Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I just got my Wii U, and I was hoping to use it as a remote for watching TV, but so far as I can tell, that's not going to work. My Onkyo AVR is the central figure in my system -- controls audio and video -- and from earlier postings in this thread, I gather that the Wii U has no idea about AVRs at all. It's odd, since many universal remotes deal with this, including the remote that comes with my DirecTV DVR. Going through the Wii U setup procedure just now, I tried getting it to control my Samsung TV and my DirecTV DVR, with no luck so far. But if it won't control my AVR, I don't see how it can be of any use to me as a remote, anyhow, even if I do get it to talk to the DVR.

Greg Lee
post #25 of 26 Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 AM

I have a onkyo 616 and wiiu , i set my onkyo up using rhid or rihd with my tv so pretty much all my remotes now control my onkyo receiver , i didnt even have to change anything on the wii u gamepad from my initial setup with the tv , it controls my chanel changing through the onkyo and volume. Just set your tv using the gamepad to control your tv and cable box and then look for your receivers instructions on setting up the arc and rhid or rihd and it should al work together for the most part .
post #26 of 26 Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 PM

It's easier to understand why Nintendo brought TVii to English-speaking markets if you realize how well the DS TV attachment did in Japan. Like, people actually watched TV on their DS systems or something. Some guy from Japan posted a detailed review of that thing on Nintendo Forums a while back, and it's really hard to understand why the Japanese would even consider watching TV on such a tiny screen, but anyway, that's the legacy of TVii and why it's coming to the Wii U. Will they succeed in beating other platforms at TV apps, especially competing against Apple and Google now? It will be a hard battle.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page