Will I be able to use the wii U as a media center extender? Maybe trick it into thinking I have a TIVO? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking. I love using my 360 as a media center extender. It's really the only reason I even use my 360. I saw the wii u's TVii service and thought. Wow, that's really slick. I wonder if I will be able to use the Wii U as a media extender with TVii. It says it supports TIVO only (I think), so what is the likely hood of being able to convince the WIi U my pc is a TIVO?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
The wii U just acts as a universal remote to the TiVo. That is all. It also adds some pretty great interface stuff on the remote. The TiVo is not passing back into the wii U.

post #3 of 7 Old 11-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
It's all kind of up in the air at this point but the safe answer is no.

I'm hoping someone will hack the damn thing so I can do the same.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #4 of 7 Old 11-03-2012, 04:27 PM

Liked: 93
Nothing has been said in terms of DLNA for Wii U. Wait until release for more information, but the likely answer is "no". Really though, local media streaming? What is this, 2005? We have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon now. Cloud streaming works better than local streaming ever did.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

I love my cloud streaming, but I am also in love with the Windows Media Extender in my 360. This combined with Netflix, Hulu Plus and Vudu have made cutting the cable cord extremely easy. I actually like windows media center better than I ever liked TIVO.

I was just hoping I could run windows media center through the wii u like I did with my 360. I was thinking that if they added the ability to talk to a tivo, like was done with the 360 and my computer, it would be possible to convince the wii u that my computer was a tivo and not a pc.

Just a hope. It looks like now I will have to have 3 hdmi devices hooked up to my tv. ps3 for bluray, 360 for media center, wii u for....games smile.gif

Thanks for the input smile.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM

you can stream .mp4 files from your PC wireless to your Wii U/gamepad via the Wii U browser with this utility.. http://vidiiustreamer.com/

It's super easy to setup and they plan on adding different streaming formats in the future.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by treepop View Post

I was just hoping I could run windows media center through the wii u like I did with my 360. I was thinking that if they added the ability to talk to a tivo, like was done with the 360 and my computer, it would be possible to convince the wii u that my computer was a tivo and not a pc.

Never going to happen. The Media Center Extender functionality works through the Remote Desktop Protocol, and has absolutely zero to do with how the Wii U works.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page