Wii memory, sensor bar, audio, DLNA, screen options... questions, questions! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-09-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know I'm late to the game, finally getting a Wii in 2012, but It's been worth it! Great fun.

The setup provides so many option that trying to get the perfect setup is a hard to do with the slim instructions. I'd rather make a start with best practices too, before having to resolvle a huge mess.

Memory
Does memory available affect performance? Will games play poorply as Wii memeory fills up with game saves and channels?

If memory for a game is in the Wii and is moved to Scard, the game follows the save to the SD card. Correct?

Now, if you Copy the games save blocks from the Wii to the SD card, what does the game use? Which save is the active and which is the backup, or are they mirrored?

What happens if the games save data is copied back from the SD to Wii memory? Which is used then?

Confusing, no?

Sensor bar
The sensor bar placement, is that critical. There doesn't seem to be one non-sloping surface for me to put it on. I have mine on the top of the TV and it's got a slight tilt back, does that matter?

Audio
The Dolby PLii encoding seems to be working through the analog RCA plugs of the component cable. Simply enabling "Dolby PLii Game" decode on my AVR seems to work. Should it be that simple?

DLNA
What DLNA options are there for the Wii. Any DLNA channels/apps that will pickup DLNA servers? Or even just music from a USB drive?

Screeen settings
480p or 480i? I know the 480p is intended for higher spec HD/EDTVs but I honestly can't see a difference over 480i using component. Is htere any benefit/burden to 480p?

Hah - Quite a start, I expect I'll have more!

In the meantime... TIA!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-09-2012, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
"Does memory available affect performance? Will games play poorply as Wii memeory fills up with game saves and channels?"

No. The on-board flash has a section set aside for system use. You can't effect it's performance by filling up the user accessible portion.

" I have mine on the top of the TV and it's got a slight tilt back, does that matter?"

The sensor bar is just a couple of infrared LEDs. As long as the Wiimote sees them then angle doesn't matter. You'll know if there's a problem when your cursor suddenly disappears.

" Simply enabling "Dolby PLii Game" decode on my AVR seems to work."

Select PLII Movie mode instead. Game mode is intended more for use with strict stereo sources like N64 and PSone games. You also need to turn on Surround in the Wii's system settings, instead of the default Stereo. Make it a habit of checking new games for a Surround/PLII audio option as well in their settings. Games should listen to what the Wii system settings say, but some behave poorly in that regard.

"DLNA"

You can kludge DLNA in to working through the web browser with some server software on your PC, but it's not work the effort. If you want to stream video on the Wii, use Netflix or Hulu.

480p is the correct choice. 480i still renders at 480p, then throws away half of the lines for display on anything running over 30fps. At sub-30fps it just splits the image across two fields for your display to deinterlace, which is gross.

"saves"

Only system saves count. Any save on an SD card is just for backup. Big SD cards are useful for storing lots of downloaded games, as you can access them directly through the little SD Icon on your Wii menu. They aren't useful for much else.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page