New Super Mario Bros. U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-27-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all,

I figured it was about time to break away from the all-encompassing Wii-U thread, to start individual game discussions smile.gif

Anyone finish the game yet? I've seen several balloons from y'all. Pretty neat idea, actually. I've put a couple of spoilers in mine; found there are some particularly difficult-to-find coins and secret exits.

How do you move through the levels? Personally, I don't let myself go to the next level until I get all 3 coins. I also try to completely finish a world before moving on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-28-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm playing this as multiplayer-only (I only pop it in when I can get a couple friends over) so I've only gotten through about four worlds so far. I thought I might be too impatient to play it this way, but honestly this iteration of Mario only feels "right" if played with others. I've decided that a team of three is the best way to play these games, as it adds plenty of fun chaos but it's not nearly as unmanageable as it is with four players. That said, I'm sure once we eventually get through all the worlds, I'll go back solo and start going after the remaining big coins.

What impresses me is that my six-year-old nephew managed to beat this already, pretty much by himself. I sure never got close to beating the original SMB when I first got it, around when I was 8. Kids today.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
i finished the game once first, so im able to save the game anytime i please. now im working on getting all star coins and secret exits.and i only have 2 to go. the last 2 in the star road levels. i like this game, its hard, its also easy. i love the graphics.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I'm playing this as multiplayer-only (I only pop it in when I can get a couple friends over) so I've only gotten through about four worlds so far. I thought I might be too impatient to play it this way, but honestly this iteration of Mario only feels "right" if played with others. I've decided that a team of three is the best way to play these games, as it adds plenty of fun chaos but it's not nearly as unmanageable as it is with four players. That said, I'm sure once we eventually get through all the worlds, I'll go back solo and start going after the remaining big coins.

Man, I'm jealous. I used to have a friends over every few weeks to play games on the big screen, and this would be a perfect game for that, but... after having a baby a couple of years ago, and my two closest friends no longer live in the area, I just have to play solo.

I'm hoping my daughter will be a gamer in a few years (how could she not, right?) and we can play the next Wii together (Wii U Them?) She is already an avid movie lover, will sit quietly through an entire movie at the theater.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-01-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Saved the princess, and have all the star coins up through the castle. Getting ready to play the extra levels. I'm sure these will be the toughest, but up to this point, the toughest course for me was Ludwig's Clockwork Castle. I must have dropped 20 Marios alone on this level.

My favorite level type? By far, the snake block levels. Terrific idea, IMO. Challenging, but not overly so.

Ok, extra levels, here I come!
post #6 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

i hated the Run For It level in the star road map. only level i had to cheat to beat it. drove me nuts tongue.gif
post #7 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Any levels on par, difficulty-wise, with that one water level in SMB3 (in World 7 I think it was)? Chances are you probably know which one I'm talking about...that was the only level I ever consistently just P-Winged over, and I can't imagine that was just me.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobright View Post

i hated the Run For It level in the star road map. only level i had to cheat to beat it. drove me nuts tongue.gif

I'm with you. Finally gave up and p-winged it. I am only on the 3rd level of the star road map (as I said before, I do things in order as much as possible, and get all the coins), so I don't know how hard the rest of the levels are, but this one reminded me of some of the bonus levels in Super Mario Galaxy (can't remember if it's 1 or 2).

Speaking of, is anyone here a Super Monkey Ball fan? As far as arcade style and level of difficulty, SMB is one of my favorites. I fondly remember the original game, and the many hours spent getting through the expert levels without continuing, thus earning the master levels, then the many more hours spent attacking the master levels. Many thousands of monkeys lost their lives. I also thought Sega did a great job with adapting game play for the wiimote with SMB Banana Blitz - just felt natural (unfortunately I can't say the same for Step and Roll).
post #9 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 01:28 PM

Liked: 10
This may be a dumb question, but do the star coins do something or unlock something? I never had a wii or a ds, so I never played any of the new super Mario titles before, or is it like collecting the stars in Mario 64, just for personal satisfaction?

XBL Digital gh0st
PSN. Troy_Digital
post #10 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

this game has soo many secret exits. some of the levels make my blood boil. some require a simple trick which youtube came in handy tongue.gif and gaining all the star coins dont unlock anything special.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 PM

Liked: 10
I bought the Wii U and Super Mario Bros U last Wed, exactly a week ago. We played 3 or 4 nights this week on multi player and beat the game last night. Looking forward to completing all the extras. I think that was the best part about the previous mario brothers game on the wii. This game, along with the previous one, are great games to play with the whole family (which is the reason we bought a wii and now the wii U in the first place).
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page