AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBmg_CNsQcc&feature=em-uploademail

Much faster returns to the home menu coming next month.
Thank CHRIST. This is my #1 complaint about the system. Sometimes I just don't bother playing something on it because I don't feel like sitting through the sluggish wait times between menus.

Kinda wish they released the other update (that will speed up booting FROM the Home Menu) first, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1299 Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Is there a fix planned for the Wii game audio? The Wii U outputs it as 5.1, but only actually outputting 2.0, so the receiver can't matrix surround sound.
post #273 of 1299 Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I would expect that audio fix oh, never. They mentioned the load-time fix immediately and look how long it's taking them to get around to fixing it. And that's a major, very noticeable thing. Probably something like 99% of their audience will never notice/care about being unable to matrix audio.
post #274 of 1299 Old 03-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I got used to the load times.
I was hoping they'd add some new features with the update

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #275 of 1299 Old 03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glhc6XcUeFk
Spin the bottle preview from GDC. Bad audio, but funny to watch

post #276 of 1299 Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Is there a fix planned for the Wii game audio? The Wii U outputs it as 5.1, but only actually outputting 2.0, so the receiver can't matrix surround sound.

What if U switch the Wii U settings to 2.0 output? Does that fix the problem?
post #277 of 1299 Old 03-27-2013, 12:12 PM

Liked: 93
Yes it does, but then it breaks proper 5.1 in games that do it correctly like Lego City and ZombiU.
post #278 of 1299 Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 PM

Well I am just going to keep playing Xenoblade until I finish, without putting any other games in my Wii U. So I will switch to 2.0 output on my Wii U. Then I have to remember to switch back later on...
post #279 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 12:53 AM

Finished up the story for Lego City Undercover tonight. It is hands down the best game on the Wii U thus far. You all really need to play this.
post #280 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 01:06 AM

Liked: 10
I really enjoyed Mario. I'm looking forward to playing resident evil revelations. I passed it on the 3ds and I loved it. Brought me back to the resident evil 2 days!
post #281 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Crapload of games are rumored to be skipping the Wii U, with no real reasons given. The anti Nintendo bias in the gaming industry as a whole is just insane.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #282 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Crapload of games are rumored to be skipping the Wii U, with no real reasons given. The anti Nintendo bias in the gaming industry as a whole is just insane.

There's only one plausible explanation....they don't think they can make enough money to justify it. I doubt its anyone's personal grudge. It still has a relatively small install base and most third party games never sold as well on the Wii. They've also got sales data from the first round of games. And everyone is looking forward to the real next gen consoles, which have an architectural parity with each other (and the PC) that the Wii U doesn't have.

Its sad to see, but they've determined it's not worth the effort yet (if ever), and they're probably right.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #283 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

It's a catch-22. WiiU has no third party support because third party WiiU games don't sell.

The implementations from third party games so far show that they just don't understand the console. Ports are buggy, gamepad features are tacked on, requests for patches light up Miiverse. I'd rather have no game or a delay than something semi-functional.

The best third party port is Trine 2. Menus are mirrored on the touchscreen, touch controls improve the gameplay, the mic is used for multiplayer, it doesn't crash, I could go on.

Need for Speed looked like it could be great, but the touchscreen controls were only available in two-player or "co-driver" mode, which isn't easy to activate. Mapping the throttle to the analog stick didn't even cross my mind until I'd sold it and read a review, but it makes more sense than constantly tapping the digital triggers.

The half-assed approach to a port is annoying. If you can't improve the gameplay, it's better to ignore the added features (Runner 2) than tease the possibilities (Assassins Creed 3). Good games for Wii (Xenoblade, Epic Yarn) did the same.

post #284 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

The Wii U posted near record launch numbers, only beaten by the PS2 and Wii, if Third Parties think they will get better results on consoles that have a MUCH smaller install base this holiday season, they will be in for yet another rude awakening. They seem to give Sony and Microsoft a type of blind faith that is just asking for failure, but treat Nintendo like they have a disease.

There really isn't a simple way to explain it away, saying it isn't worth the effort just doesn't work when 360 ports to the Wii U are simple, Criterion outdid the PC version of NFS in only 3 months of dev time, and saying that consoles that aren't even fully announced yet are worth the effort. It does not add up.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #285 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 02:42 PM

Corporations exist to make money. Pen, you are seeing conspiracy where no conspiracy is present.
post #286 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Another reason 3rd parties often skipped Wii had to do with that console's lack of horsepower. Really, only Activision could be seen as a major Wii 3rd party supporter, at least in terms of the big name titles & few casual shovelware retreads. For a brief moment, the Wii was the #1 console that had Guitar Hero III being played on it, outselling the PS3/360 editions combined. And they managed to issue COD games that were at least in the same ballpark (feature wise) w/ the console/PC versions. Harmonix/EA did what they could with the Rock Band franchise (as well as EA's support via EA Sports titles). But so many of this gen's biggest titles simply could not be made for those duct-taped GCN guts.

With Wii U, you have a console that can handle basically any current-gen ps360 title without breaking much of a digital sweat. But between past performance in recent years of non-Nintendo produced titles on Nintendo consoles coupled with MS & Sony brewing up their newest iterations - which will undoubtedly once again leave Ninty in the tech spec ghetto, albeit not as far behind as last time - it is understandable that 3rd parties in the current economic climate/gaming world are apprehensive to dedicate time & $$ to a console that sells far more 1st party titles than anything else. Not to mention the Wii U's apparent lack of "wow" factor - blame for which lands squarely in Nintendo's lap.

This may change if/when Wii U sales show more life - I suspect once the next round of 1st party titles roll out, not to mention as Ninty & others get a better handle on exactly what a Wii U can do, we may see that 3rd party support beef up a bit. But once again, the serious gamer is gonna need a Wii U AND one of the other systems to get "everything".

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #287 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The Wii U posted near record launch numbers, only beaten by the PS2 and Wii, if Third Parties think they will get better results on consoles that have a MUCH smaller install base this holiday season, they will be in for yet another rude awakening. They seem to give Sony and Microsoft a type of blind faith that is just asking for failure, but treat Nintendo like they have a disease.

There really isn't a simple way to explain it away, saying it isn't worth the effort just doesn't work when 360 ports to the Wii U are simple, Criterion outdid the PC version of NFS in only 3 months of dev time, and saying that consoles that aren't even fully announced yet are worth the effort. It does not add up.

The next gen at least show more promise. They don't expect to pull current gen numbers, but at least they can establish their new franchises. Every launch is on faith, and they were there for the Wii U launch, and it apparently didnt live up to expectations. It may have shown near record hardware numbers, but the software side was pretty ugly. The launch was the Nintendo faithful and nothing more, and they are primarily interested in Nintendo games. Console sales dropped like a rock right after launch because the faithful willing to blindly buy it purely for its first party potential have dried up.

It'll be interesting to see how long it can survive purely on first party games with the occasional third party curiosity. It might be profitable enough to continue to exist purely on that, but I'd give up hope for it to ever be anything more. It's no longer just speculation, its already happening.

post #288 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

The next gen at least show more promise. They don't expect to pull current gen numbers, but at least they can establish their new franchises. Every launch is on faith, and they were there for the Wii U launch, and it apparently didnt live up to expectations. It may have shown near record hardware numbers, but the software side was pretty ugly. The launch was the Nintendo faithful and nothing more, and they are primarily interested in Nintendo games. Console sales dropped like a rock right after launch because the faithful willing to blindly buy it purely for its first party potential have dried up.

It'll be interesting to see how long it can survive purely on first party games with the occasional third party curiosity. It might be profitable enough to continue to exist purely on that, but I'd give up hope for it to ever be anything more. It's no longer just speculation, its already happening.

If you call year old ports and gimped versions as being there... Only Assassin's Creed 3, Blops 2, and Sonic Racing were truly there for the launch, everything else was phoned in. (Darksiders 2 could be considered a reasonable showing, if the 360/PS3 version hadn't already hit $20) Skylanders wasn't gimped, but how many buy a console for this? Especially when it had a console bundle for $149 on the Wii.

EA's entire launch showing was laughable at best. Mass Effect 3, but the other consoles got the trilogy for the same price ($20 off if you waited a few weeks) Madden, with missing features... Need For Speed was the only decent port, but I attribute that to Criterion not settling vs EA caring. (and it was 4 months late)

Batman AC was a year old port. Rayman was delayed from launch, then delayed again after it went Gold, just so they could launch all versions simultaneously, that was a massive middle finger to Nintendo. (and to the devs, as they sent it to die in September instead of being a system seller in February) Many devs bashed Nintendo openly prior to launch, and the media (gaming and mainstream) went along with it, bashing them any chance they got. (Digital Foundry outright lied to put Nintendo down, and they refuse to fix the article) Positive news is outright ignored.

Nintendo held back several First Party games to let Third Parties have a shot at launch (like they did on 3DS as well) and they got screwed over because of it. Nintendo has stated they regret doing it. I don't expect Nintendo to give Third Parties any more chances after everything they have done for them and how much they have gotten screwed over as a result. They have shown that Nintendo is on their own now. The only question remaining, how will Nintendo counter this? E3 is just over 2 months away...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #289 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you call year old ports and gimped versions as being there... Only Assassin's Creed 3, Blops 2, and Sonic Racing were truly there for the launch, everything else was phoned in. (Darksiders 2 could be considered a reasonable showing, if the 360/PS3 version hadn't already hit $20) Skylanders wasn't gimped, but how many buy a console for this? Especially when it had a console bundle for $149 on the Wii.

EA's entire launch showing was laughable at best. Mass Effect 3, but the other consoles got the trilogy for the same price ($20 off if you waited a few weeks) Madden, with missing features... Need For Speed was the only decent port, but I attribute that to Criterion not settling vs EA caring. (and it was 4 months late)

Batman AC was a year old port. Rayman was delayed from launch, then delayed again after it went Gold, just so they could launch all versions simultaneously, that was a massive middle finger to Nintendo. (and to the devs, as they sent it to die in September instead of being a system seller in February) Many devs bashed Nintendo openly prior to launch, and the media (gaming and mainstream) went along with it, bashing them any chance they got. (Digital Foundry outright lied to put Nintendo down, and they refuse to fix the article) Positive news is outright ignored.

Nintendo held back several First Party games to let Third Parties have a shot at launch (like they did on 3DS as well) and they got screwed over because of it. Nintendo has stated they regret doing it. I don't expect Nintendo to give Third Parties any more chances after everything they have done for them and how much they have gotten screwed over as a result. They have shown that Nintendo is on their own now. The only question remaining, how will Nintendo counter this? E3 is just over 2 months away...

Well, third parties got burned after years of poor sales on the Wii. It probably took nintendo backing off to even convince them to take a shot at all. They wouldnt have done it if they didnt feel that had to (or its just an excuse and they just had nothing anyway). 3rd parties were expectedly wary, put half an effort in, and got back the results they expected. I personally dont think a better effort would have paid off anyway, so they probably made the right decision.

There's still no conspiracy, no one other than Sony, Microsoft and Apple wants to see them fail. Press would rather have positive things to say than negative. A great launch and platform is something to continually report on, a failed one gets a few "what happened" pieces and then there's no more story.

Ultimately this is all happening due to the choices Nintendo made, past and present. They have no one to blame but themselves. No one has a crystal ball, they were in fairly uncharted territory for a while, but it clearly didnt pan out how they intended.

They can certainly hang with the big boys if they want to go all software. Maybe they can put out a much better console/platform in 2-3 years that isnt such a train wreck. Maybe they'll squeeze every last drop out of the Wii U until the bitter end.

post #290 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

The press has a constant stream of Nintendoomed, and has had it since E3, whether it is true or not. Why post positive articles that don't get anywhere near the web traffic as DOOMED! does?

And lots of Sony and Microsoft fans want to see Nintendo fail, because they want them to go third party and play them on their hardware of choice. (this includes lots of game journalists)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #291 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The press has a constant stream of Nintendoomed, and has had it since E3, whether it is true or not. Why post positive articles that don't get anywhere near the web traffic as DOOMED! does?

And lots of Sony and Microsoft fans want to see Nintendo fail, because they want them to go third party and play them on their hardware of choice. (this includes lots of game journalists)

The press is calling it as the see it and I agree completely with them. They're not there just to cheerlead a mediocre product just cause Nintendo made it. However much traffic a "nintendoomed" story drives, 5 years of a quality platform drives infinitely more. They were no kinder to Sony when they had an equally poor launch. Mostly what I'm hearing right now is not bashing, but just dead silence.

I'd certainly be fine with playing Nintendo games on a better platform. I'd be equally fine if Nintendo put out the best console ever, Sony crumbled, and the next god of war was on it.

However much injustice you feel about the way they're being treated, you have to admit, they're not where they should be. The Wii U could have been SO much better. its not just the way theyre handling it (although that could be better too). Sony's problems stemmed from hubris and being ahead of their time. Eventually they humbled, and fixed what they needed to. And from what theyve shown of the PS4 so far, theyve clearly learned a great deal from past mistakes. Nintendo has equal hubris, but their platform is behind the times. Its too late to change that, and It's not going to play out the same way. The Wii U isn't totally lost, but they have so much work to do, and Im not seeing the same level of responsiveness.

post #292 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

No kinder to Sony?

3DS sells 3.6 million month 1, media declares it doomed. Vita finally breaks 1 million after 4 months, media declares it is doing just fine. Wii U sells 1.9 million in 43 days, media declares it a disaster.

There is definitely a double standard for Nintendo, it has existed for a long time now, they don't call it as it is, they flat out downplay any positive Nintendo news.

Nintendo did everything right for Third Parties with the Wii U, and got spit on for it, Sony does the same and they get praised left and right.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #293 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 06:44 PM

My last Nintendo console before the Wii U was my old black GameCube. I bought the Wii U expecting to play lots of AAA first party Wii games from last generation. If the Wii U gets anything close to GameCube levels of quality and quantity first party tiles, plus maybe a few RE4 quality third party games then I will be very happy. Anything on top of that is a big bonus as far as I am concerned.

As it is, I already have a huge Wii U (+ PS3) game backlog that I have a hard time imagining when I will have the time to finish...
post #294 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No kinder to Sony?

3DS sells 3.6 million month 1, media declares it doomed. Vita finally breaks 1 million after 4 months, media declares it is doing just fine. Wii U sells 1.9 million in 43 days, media declares it a disaster.

There is definitely a double standard for Nintendo, it has existed for a long time now, they don't call it as it is, they flat out downplay any positive Nintendo news.

Nintendo did everything right for Third Parties with the Wii U, and got spit on for it, Sony does the same and they get praised left and right.

I've no idea which sites you're reading that are declaring the Vita is doing just fine. I've heard far more doom and gloom about it than the Wii U.

post #295 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I've no idea which sites you're reading that are declaring the Vita is doing just fine. I've heard far more doom and gloom about it than the Wii U.

From the Japanese launch through late June that is all I heard, the Vita is doing just fine. Once Persona failed to set Japan on fire Vita news died out all together. (Much like how 3DS news died out once it set the world on fire after the price drop and Mario 3D Land hit)

I have seen very few Vita is Doomed articles, but I see a new Nintendoomed article almost daily.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #296 of 1299 Old 03-28-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Why does that have to indicate a conspiracy? I would hope that concern about Nintendo's viability would far outweight concern about the second outing of a Sony handheld gaming system. Nintendo is a beloved company by many gamers with a history in this industry dating back to just a few years after it was born. Much more is theoretically at sake if they're performing poorly than if Sony's handheld entry is underperforming.

So it's just logical that many people care about their health far more than they care about how well the Sony Vita is doing. If anything, it's a compliment to Nintendo that people care so much about their performance, show greater disappointment when things don't pan out like they desire, and perhaps hold them to a higher standard than the competition. Even the fact that there are some haters out there that have resented their past success and have enjoyed watching them struggle a bit from time to time over the years is, in a roundabout way, a compliment to their legacy and success.

Plus, I've seen my share of doom & gloom about the Vita. Particularly when last year's E3 came and went with hardly anything being announced to offer any optimism. And it doesn't seem like much has happened since then to change that situation. I see lots of complaints about the Vita and Sony's direction with it. If anything, I think many Vita owners already have given up hope where as I think there's still a lot of optimism and crossed fingers where the Wii U's future is concerned after its first 1/3 of a year on the marketplace. Even its ability to enjoy PSP compatible software seems to have stalled out with much software yet to be made compatible and with updates seemingly having ceased.

At least the Wii U seems to offer excellent Wii compatibility to help fill in these early gaps between good releases (Although it's not perfect with that surround issue that has been mentioned and the inability to output 4:3 Wii software pillarboxed when set to HD that I've griped about several times here).
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #297 of 1299 Old 03-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

The bloggers write Nintendoomed because it gets clicks and comments. When there's a release to discuss, it's discussed, but they're going to twitter replies for news. Some random person asks a dev if there will be a wiiu version, they reply that it was never planned or announced, and the bloggers freak out and repost it.

Cancelled games are news, delayed games are news, but games that were never coming just are not news. That's the problem with nintendoom.

post #298 of 1299 Old 03-29-2013, 12:13 AM

Unsubcribed.

This thread has become filled with way too much nut-job conspiracy theory crap.
post #299 of 1299 Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/16257/20130328/miiverse-app-release-date-smartphone-browser-3ds.htm

A Miiverse app will come out in May, according to a Nintendo presentation at this week's Game Developers Conference. The app for the world's first gaming-focused social network will hit smartphones and browsers first, with the long-promised Nintendo 3DS version coming at some future point. Miiverse is currently tied to Wii U, where it has become a surprisingly popular feature of the console, and a home for truly impressive fan art about games.

An eventual Miiverse app has been part of the plan for the social network since it was first unveiled. Even back at E3 2012, months before the Wii U launch, Nintendo fully planned to make Miiverse a true social network unhitched from any particular platform. That day will finally come in May, when it hits smartphones and browsers. Exactly which phones and browsers isn't clear yet, but they will have the same functionality: the Miiverse app will let users join communities based on games, ask for help, comment, and - probably most important of all - draw and share pictures. The new versions will certainly maintain Nintendo's friendly censorship (fun fact: Nintendo spent several weeks developing a system to automatically detect and filter hand-drawn genitalia).

A Miiverse app could fundamentally change both the social network itself and even the Wii U, especially if Nintendo proceeds with plans for a somewhat open Miiverse API. The social network has surpassed even Nintendo's own expectations, according to Siliconera. And Mr. Iwata, President of Nintendo, believes that when the service hits 3DS, "it will be huge." Miiverse has transformed how players interact with games as they play them, and how they talk about them afterwards.

It's unclear whether the Miiverse app will maintain some form of what made Miiverse so special - its black and white artwork, penciled in on GamePad, created with tight restrictions and limitations. Artwork created under these restrictions has been truly impressive, but it may lose some of its magic if PC users can start uploading art made in Photoshop. It may even lose some of the community aspects. But Nintendo is proud of the art its users has created and understands its value, so it may try to preserve some of the unique artistic elements of the system.

In many ways, a Miiverse app and Miiverse 3DS will push Miiverse above and beyond Xbox Live and PlayStation Network by unshackling it from the consoles. PlayStation Network has done this to a certain extent, but it is a fundamentally transactional experience. Xbox Live's online play is, obviously, social, but the service itself is not. Only Miiverse actually connects gamers directly, outside of a game, and has the official support of a major console developer. It may not be particularly useful, but neither is Twitter, and that has gotten along just fine.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #300 of 1299 Old 03-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

I can see why Miiverse 3DS is taking so long. The library is pretty damn big.

Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page