Official Wii U discussion thread. - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #361 of 1614 Old 04-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Seems like a stupid move. They could've easily
1. released the game in february
2. added levels as dlc
3. released the expanded version on ps360 in fall

Either way I got the first one for ten bucks and it's cute but nothing special. I can see why the release isn't important to the company.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1614 Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM

Liked: 93
"2. added levels as dlc"

Not if these levels were smack dab in the middle of existing worlds, but got cut due to the extremely accelerated 15 month dev schedule. It is far more likely that they now get to go back and finish content they wanted but cut, instead of adding additional chunks to the end of the game.
post #363 of 1614 Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Kyser said to me: "If you honestly believe that the time between now and September will be spent on "improving" the game when they have to get it ready for every other system, you're kidding yourself."

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/48483/rayman-legends-delay-i-wasnt-shocked-by-the-backlash-says-michel-ancel/

"Micholic said: "Trust me, the things we are adding aren't minor. We're not talking about adding some polish here and there, but 30 new levels and several new bosses." "

This is the equivalent of three additional worlds in a Mario game. The question now is, was this rushed game initially shipping with a shortened experience on par with a Mario game that they only managed to finish five worlds on? Or is this game now an eleven-world Mario? In either case, I guess the game wasn't actually done then, huh? wink.gif

Actually, by their own words it was. I can quote the actual programmers if you wish. Adding more stuff is great, they now have extra time. But they themselves admitted it was finished. That was my original argument. If they're adding stuff, great. It's probably because everyone flipped out and said they won't be buying it when it comes out. smile.gif

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #364 of 1614 Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 565
The Virtual Console update is coming next week.

Oh, and Earthbound is coming to the US and EU Virtual Console later this year.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #365 of 1614 Old 04-17-2013, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Earthbound for 30c?
post #366 of 1614 Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfD View Post

Earthbound for 30c?

Only in Japan, we will probably pay $8 for it.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #367 of 1614 Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I am happy the load time are going to get much faster:)biggrin.gif:cool:
post #368 of 1614 Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM

Iwata will announce a second straight annual loss tomorrow, losing 18.7 billion yen in the 12 months ended March 31, according to the average of 15 estimates compiled by Bloomberg. For the year started April 1, Nintendo may post operating income of 70 billion-yen, according to the average of 19 estimates -- short of a target he said was a personal “commitment.”

Nintendo’s Wii U, its first new home-gaming console since 2006, is failing to meet sales targets amid a delay to software releases that Iwata said were crucial to winning over consumers who increasingly play games on smartphones and tablet computers. Sony Corp. (6758) and Microsoft Corp. are also preparing to release upgraded consoles this year, adding pressure on the 53-year-old executive who has been in the role since 2002.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-22/nintendo-ceo-seen-missing-profit-target-as-wii-u-founders.html?cmpid=yhoo
post #369 of 1614 Old 04-22-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Only in Japan, we will probably pay $8 for it.

We already know what the promotional 30 cent titles are and Earthbound isn't one of them. I believe it concludes in July or so with Super Metroid with three of what I think are seven games total already released.

I suppose they could retroactively include it but they'd be nuts to with the interest in it. I suspect Earthbound will arrive this Fall for $8 or so.

Then I expect disappointment to swell a few days after that when people discover a solid but unspectacular game. This isn't going to meet the expectations that have been built by some over the years due to its relatively low print run and high demand that has kept prices high, the lack of any rerelease until now, and the failure of the other two entries to ever arrive here which has all helped this game gain some sort of special status over what it otherwise would've had.
post #370 of 1614 Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

The last 30 cent game is Donkey Kong for NES in July.

post #371 of 1614 Old 04-22-2013, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, like I said, I wasn't 100% sure and hadn't checked as I typed that. I was going off memories of the announcement.

Checking facts, it looks like Super Metroid will be the next promotional game with Yoshi and Donkey Kong for the NES to follow. I suspect those that pay 30 cents for Super Metroid to experience it for the first time will end up much more pleased than those checking out Earthbound. It's a fine game but I can't imagine it living up to what some people have built it up to be.

Super Metroid on the other hand is timeless.
post #372 of 1614 Old 04-23-2013, 04:53 AM

I will not pay $8 for a (tied to my Wii U machine, and can never be used on any other Wii U) digital SNES game in 2013.
post #373 of 1614 Old 04-23-2013, 11:13 AM

That's fine. You obviously aren't the target market. Plenty of others will.
post #374 of 1614 Old 04-23-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will not pay $8 for a (tied to my Wii U machine, and can never be used on any other Wii U) digital SNES game in 2013.

Nintendo can remotely transfer your account details and purchase history in the event of a system error, theft or Act of God, but they aren't forced to. Link up to Club Nintendo so they have a clear purchase history.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #375 of 1614 Old 04-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

I've tried to start Earthbound a few times, but it never hooks me. The slow start was a common thing for RPGs in that era but I just can't get past it. Give me in medias res or forget the story altogether.
I also can't stand using the dialog box to talk when there are eight buttons on the controller. Half the time you're one square off and it says "nobody here!"
Dragon Quest V had the same thing but they fixed it with an alternate button to talk.

I'm concerned it's a lot of nostalgia that drives this; that this was a lot of people's first RPG. Maybe if I get into it, it'd be different.

post #376 of 1614 Old 04-23-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

I've tried to start Earthbound a few times, but it never hooks me. The slow start was a common thing for RPGs in that era but I just can't get past it. Give me in medias res or forget the story altogether.
I also can't stand using the dialog box to talk when there are eight buttons on the controller. Half the time you're one square off and it says "nobody here!"
Dragon Quest V had the same thing but they fixed it with an alternate button to talk.

I'm concerned it's a lot of nostalgia that drives this; that this was a lot of people's first RPG. Maybe if I get into it, it'd be different.

It had an undeniable charm in its day, everything else was swords and sorcery back then. Beyond that it was just another RPG, I dunno if it still has the same charm today. Sometimes you just miss the boat on a game - to this day I've started OoT maybe 5-6 times, never could finish it.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #377 of 1614 Old 04-24-2013, 02:59 AM

ProfD says: "Iwata will announce a second straight annual loss tomorrow"

If by "loss" you mean "made $70 million" then yeah, you were totally right.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-24-nintendo-makes-surprise-profit-despite-lower-than-expected-wii-u-sales

Remember, analysts are retarded. Reposting what analysts say as some sort of news does a disservice to everyone here.
post #378 of 1614 Old 04-24-2013, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

That won't please all the naysayers. Hopefully some positive news, however marginal this is, will help silence some of the critics and ease their task a bit that's ahead of them with the Wii U. So many are talking as if Nintendo is doomed that it has to be turning away potential customers so any bit of optimism surely can't hurt to encourage early adapters to not hold off that may be waiting on a price drop, concerned about perhaps a shortened life-cycle, etc.

Since it was the topic of discussion a while back, it looks as if Nintendo's bank account is slightly larger this year.

Somehow I've never heard of Game & Wario.
post #379 of 1614 Old 04-24-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

ProfD says: "Iwata will announce a second straight annual loss tomorrow"

If by "loss" you mean "made $70 million" then yeah, you were totally right.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-24-nintendo-makes-surprise-profit-despite-lower-than-expected-wii-u-sales

Remember, analysts are retarded. Reposting what analysts say as some sort of news does a disservice to everyone here.

I think the article I quoted was a estimating an "operating loss of 18.7 billion yen" the key accounting term being "operating loss". Although the article may have been a bit too brief. The actual announced "operating loss" was about 36 billion yen so...

Although Nintendo did make a profit overall as you pointed out.

(If some of you only want to talk about games etc, and have no interest in discussing the business end of things in this thread then point taken.)
post #380 of 1614 Old 04-24-2013, 10:30 AM

"then point taken"

You missed the point then. The point is if you are going to bring us news, then make sure that it's accurate, not page-filler garbage guesswork.
post #381 of 1614 Old 04-24-2013, 11:33 AM

I don't think you understood my post. The news was accurate, or the estimates were actually not as bad as the final number.
post #382 of 1614 Old 04-24-2013, 07:10 PM

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/

Miiverse now on the web.
post #383 of 1614 Old 04-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

hooray! check out my goofy pictures! https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAADMUKlWzTooZg

post #384 of 1614 Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/

Miiverse now on the web.

Nice. How advanced are the drawing tools? (on cell phone for a while, just moved 1000 miles back home and I have no idea when I will have proper internet again)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #385 of 1614 Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Wow this is surprising!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/25/no-nintendo-press-conference-at-e3-2013

Nintendo will not hold a major press conference at E3 2013. The news comes via comments from president Satoru Iwata at a Nintendo investors’ meeting tonight (as translated by Cheesemeister.

"Unlike previous years, we will not have a large-scale [E3] presentation directed to everyone in the world,” Iwata said according to the translation. “Instead, we are planning several smaller events focusing on software for America. Among these hands-on events will be one for American distributors and another for western media.”
post #386 of 1614 Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Not that surprising. They said they would have playable demos of games they've already announced. Makes sense to me as a business strategy. No use having your message drowned out by everything else that's happening at e3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Nice. How advanced are the drawing tools? (on cell phone for a while, just moved 1000 miles back home and I have no idea when I will have proper internet again)

You can only post text replies online.

post #387 of 1614 Old 04-25-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:

You can only post text replies online.

Yep drawing requires a Wii U.
post #388 of 1614 Old 04-25-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

Wow this is surprising!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/25/no-nintendo-press-conference-at-e3-2013

Nintendo will not hold a major press conference at E3 2013. The news comes via comments from president Satoru Iwata at a Nintendo investors’ meeting tonight (as translated by Cheesemeister.

They could be figuring that the next gen consoles from Sony and Microsoft will garner the most attention, and so instead of competing on that front focus on their own Nintendo Direct presentations instead. Can't say I'm terribly surprised myself....

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #389 of 1614 Old 04-25-2013, 05:08 AM

Wait I can't even find the button to post on Miiverse via the web. I can comment on other peoples posts. I can "Yeah" posts etc. But I can not find a button that allows me to create my own original text post... could it be because I am using Safari on a desktop Mac? Or is this functionality currently not available?
post #390 of 1614 Old 04-25-2013, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

hooray! check out my goofy pictures! https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAADMUKlWzTooZg

I'm disappointed, moo. Not a single crudely drawn wiener...

And some more news, shamelessly copied from NeoGAF

http://gematsu.com/2013/04/nintendo-wii-u-has-lost-momentum-due-to-release-schedule
Quote:

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said Wii U has “lost momentum” due to the company’s first-party release schedule.

“Wii U has lost momentum due to the release pace of first-party titles which has not lived up to consumers’ expectations,” said Iwata during Nintendo’s latest financial results briefing. “Starting with Pikmin 3 scheduled for release in the upcoming July, however, we will intensively launch our key titles to give sales momentum to the platform.

“Some have the misunderstanding that Wii U is just Wii with a pad for games, and others even consider Wii U GamePad as a peripheral device connectable to Wii. We feel deeply responsible for not having tried hard enough to have consumers understand the product.”

voodoozen: "duh. We knew that after the E3 announcement, what took you so long"

Quote:
According to Iwata, the system does not yet have its Wii Sports—a game in which people “immediately comprehended its product value.”

Iwata continued, “Wii U has lost momentum due to the release pace of first-party titles which has not lived up to consumers’ expectations.

On the other hand, as for Wii U, it took off smoothly in the holiday season, but due to the lack of new software titles, we were unable to maintain the momentum this year. We initially hoped that Wii U would be showing more of a presence in the market by now, but the current situation shows that we need to spend more time on and put much effort into recreating the momentum.

Regarding Wii U, the release intervals of first-party key titles have been so much longer than we expected at the Corporate Management Policy Briefing in January that we have not successfully maintained the momentum of the platform. In addition, we have not been able to solidly communicate the product value of Wii U to our consumers yet, which has been a grand challenge for us.

I'd argue, based on the sales numbers, the 3DS is the only thing with momentum... Wii U was lukewarm at launch and has cooled to room temperature since then. It really has mirrored the 3DS in many ways, which suggests that a price drop and serious effort on titles (please, not just Mario Nintendo) might be coming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page