Official Wii U discussion thread. - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #601 of 1333 Old 06-21-2013, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
No regular account system means I don't buy Nintendo's Digital content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1333 Old 06-21-2013, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 200
It's the retail version I'll be getting as well. I'll always pick that option when provided the choice.

I understand about locking downloads to the system rather than an account. Hopefully that's something that they will fix one of these days. Beyond Mega Man 9 & 10 since a Nintendo quality d-pad is so crucial for such games, I've always just bought downloads that are exclusive to Nintendo because of the issue.

So things like Duck Tales Remastered will be purchased elsewhere.
post #603 of 1333 Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I actually just got NSMBU last week, but I'm still working through all the star coins. Less evil than I expected. I might get the box copy of Luigi U because I heard that game is damned hard

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #604 of 1333 Old 06-21-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I'm waiting to get the retail verison of NSLU as well.

The only digital content I've purchased for Wii U was Super Metroid for 30 cents.
post #605 of 1333 Old 06-22-2013, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I picked up NSLU yesterday morning and played the 1st world with my 6 year old son. He played as Nabbit and enjoyed being mostly invincible. He didn't like not being able to use power ups at first but once he found out that for each one he collects he gets 1ups at the end of the level he was ok with it. Yes it's devilishly hard but fun. Hearing the running out of time music at the beginning of each level is kinda annoying though... 82 level for $20 +tax, not too shabby IMO.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #606 of 1333 Old 06-22-2013, 02:27 AM

Liked: 93
Is the downloadable version of NSLU standalone, or does it boot from within NSMBU?
post #607 of 1333 Old 06-22-2013, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

It boots from within NSMBU. It's only standalone in retail form.

Here's a YouTube video showing off the slightly edited title sequence, the edited menu screen, switching it to NSLU mode, and the first four worlds of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSyu-6sI8Uc
post #608 of 1333 Old 06-22-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 551

http://m.gamespot.com/news/nintendo-we-are-to-blame-for-poor-wii-u-sales-6410425

This is part of my complaints about Nintendo's E3 showing, Nintendo has yet to make a game that shows why the Wii U is worth owning. The flagship Mario game is a 3DS port. (Not really, but it is probably using the same engine) and Mario Kart is playing it equally safe, and not one of them use the touch screen in any meaningful way.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #609 of 1333 Old 06-23-2013, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

I can't recall the last flagship Nintendo game that made great use of a new controller feature. Mario 64? I thought Skyward Sword's motion controls were awful (which reviewers loved), fans hated mario kart's motion controls (which I loved) and anything before that was just analog sticks. All the safe Nintendo franchises have generally ignored hardware changes.

post #610 of 1333 Old 06-23-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Every Nintendo franchise made full use of the Wii Remote during the early years, even if a normal controller would have worked better. It took until Skyward Sword to show that Motion Controls could make a game better, and many hated them just because they were motion.

Now we have a screen on the controller and every major Nintendo release is using it for a map or a horn... they aren't even trying anymore, and that is the problem.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #611 of 1333 Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

A map or horn is trying a little bit. NSMBU didn't try at all.

post #612 of 1333 Old 06-23-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm happy using it for off-screen play.
post #613 of 1333 Old 06-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Game and Wario does some interesting stuff with it. The Pictionary style game is a pretty fun use of the pad. Also subtle stuff, like the off-screen Pyoro is LCD game & watch style, but the TV shows an hd, claymation version.

post #614 of 1333 Old 06-24-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

I'm happy using it for off-screen play.
Me too. And Lego Ciry uses the touch screen pretty well.

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #615 of 1333 Old 06-25-2013, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know what Nintendo's intentions behind it were, but I never saw the touch screen feature here as being a revolutionary feature like the N64's analog thumb stick or the Wii's motion capabilities were. What I see is largely a step back to the basics with what amounts to be a traditional gamepad that many core gamers missed during the previous generation with a supplemental feature added to it that offers up some relatively minor benefits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Every Nintendo franchise made full use of the Wii Remote during the early years, even if a normal controller would have worked better. It took until Skyward Sword to show that Motion Controls could make a game better, and many hated them just because they were motion.

While I think this is generally accurate, I also think you're doing a bit of disservice to the Wii's motion controls. It wasn't frequent that a game utilized that capability to its benefit and it was seemingly shoehorned more often than not into games it had no business being in just to get that check mark on the back of the box. But there were still plenty of exceptions made better thanks to Nintendo's motion controllers.

I'd argue that Metroid Prime 3 is what really convinced gamers that motion control could be superior to a gamepad in a major entry in a beloved franchise aimed directly at the core console gamer rather than the casual gamer.
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #616 of 1333 Old 06-25-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Indeed. The motion control ability is what I miss most w/ the gamepad. With the Wii, the ability to stand up and use your entire body made it a unique experience. For me Skyward Sword seemed to integrate various motion functions with a great adventure game. Now, I'm sitting in a chair holding the gamepad, like any other gaming experience.
post #617 of 1333 Old 06-25-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

I'd argue that Metroid Prime 3 is what really convinced gamers that motion control could be superior to a gamepad in a major entry in a beloved franchise aimed directly at the core console gamer rather than the casual gamer.

Very true. Loved MP3s motion control twist for FPS style gaming, and a few other Wii titles/ports managed to pull off similar controls with varying results (the COD Wii titles, Goldeneye, etc). But none nailed it like the Metroid Prime games did. Adding MP3 controls and widescreen support to the the 1st two MP games in the Trilogy reissue made the previous Prime titles all that more replayable.

I also enjoyed the more advanced (i.e. - no wrist flicking from the couch a la Wii Sports) control applied to Wiimote golfing that the Tiger Woods games featured, esp after Motion+ compatibility came into being. It was the one instance where EA - and really...any 3rd party dev - gave the Wii version of a multiplatform release an actual advantage over its prettier HD siblings.

And while the camera was clunky and no real precision was needed, I still enjoyed the hell out of Madworld's visceral experience of using Wiimote & 'chuk motion to bash in heads or saw opponents apart in a foul mouthed Frank Miller inspired world. Same could be said for the Wii port of The Godfather. There was something both entertaining & truly sick when you used Wiimote & 'chuk motion to choke some poor soul....and feel his pulse gradually slowing thru the Wiimote's rumble.

Then again, I was and continue to be far more successful in Mario Kart Wii using the Wiimote/'chuk combo. For me, anything close to precision Karting requires an analog stick, but using the 'chuk stick is to me more akin to playing MK64 back with the old N64 controller than using a Classic or GCN controller.
TeflonSoul likes this.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #618 of 1333 Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Very true. Loved MP3s motion control twist for FPS style gaming, and a few other Wii titles/ports managed to pull off similar controls with varying results (the COD Wii titles, Goldeneye, etc). But none nailed it like the Metroid Prime games did. Adding MP3 controls and widescreen support to the the 1st two MP games in the Trilogy reissue made the previous Prime titles all that more replayable.

I also enjoyed the more advanced (i.e. - no wrist flicking from the couch a la Wii Sports) control applied to Wiimote golfing that the Tiger Woods games featured, esp after Motion+ compatibility came into being. It was the one instance where EA - and really...any 3rd party dev - gave the Wii version of a multiplatform release an actual advantage over its prettier HD siblings.

And while the camera was clunky and no real precision was needed, I still enjoyed the hell out of Madworld's visceral experience of using Wiimote & 'chuk motion to bash in heads or saw opponents apart in a foul mouthed Frank Miller inspired world. Same could be said for the Wii port of The Godfather. There was something both entertaining & truly sick when you used Wiimote & 'chuk motion to choke some poor soul....and feel his pulse gradually slowing thru the Wiimote's rumble.

Then again, I was and continue to be far more successful in Mario Kart Wii using the Wiimote/'chuk combo. For me, anything close to precision Karting requires an analog stick, but using the 'chuk stick is to me more akin to playing MK64 back with the old N64 controller than using a Classic or GCN controller.

Everyone at Nintendo should read this post...

I really love my Wii for the motion controls- as poorly utilized as they were at first (Red Steel 1, Elebits) they really came into their own and truly added new elements to games.

WiiU's gamepad doesn't do that, it's a novel concept that's really just a minor twist on the old Cheetos-covered controllers that we've had forever. Off screen play is novel but unnecessary; inventory and maps are cool but, again, nothing extraordinary; and asymmetrical gaming isn't exactly a compelling reason to drop $300 plus $60 for a party game. There's some cool uses for the second screen, and if someone ever nails it (ala MP3) things might turn around and more games will follow with innovative uses for the Wii U... but since we a) haven't seen that game yet and b) developers seems to be running away from the U, I don't know that there's a fighting chance for the gamepad to turn into a true innovation rather than just a footnote in gaming history.
post #619 of 1333 Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

If that's the case I'm not sure what novel features the other guys are providing.

post #620 of 1333 Old 06-26-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

I really love my Wii for the motion controls- as poorly utilized as they were at first (Red Steel 1, Elebits) they really came into their own and truly added new elements to games.

And all but ruined others (NSMBW, DKCR, etc.).
post #621 of 1333 Old 06-26-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

It certainly didn't help either, but I think the excellence of both games still manages to shine through and the most important functions luckily use the traditional d-pad and buttons.

Even tilting cannons and platforms in NSMBWii could've been easily mapped to buttons (Functions that I think were only even in there to justify the use of motion). Classic Controller support would've provided shoulder buttons that would've been perfect for that while still allowing them to proclaim that their game takes advantage of the Wii's motion capabilities.

I'm surprised Mario Kart Wii and a few other 1st party examples had a full range of control options.
post #622 of 1333 Old 06-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

If that's the case I'm not sure what novel features the other guys are providing.

8gb DDR5? Kinect 2. Rear touch pad? It's all just buzzwords to get we gullible dedicated consumers to open our wallets...

Quote:

It certainly didn't help either, but I think the excellence of both games still manages to shine through and the most important functions luckily use the traditional d-pad and buttons.

Even tilting cannons and platforms in NSMBWii could've been easily mapped to buttons (Functions that I think were only even in there to justify the use of motion). Classic Controller support would've provided shoulder buttons that would've been perfect for that while still allowing them to proclaim that their game takes advantage of the Wii's motion capabilities.

I'm surprised Mario Kart Wii and a few other 1st party examples had a full range of control options.

agreed- and it's been one of my main complaints with Ninty; they tack on controls and mechanics that force players to use their new control scheme- it goes all the way back to SNES, although SNES shoulder buttons were pretty handy (freeking N64 C-pad not so much). For Wii they should have made more options for the folks who wanted other control schemes, but let's be honest... DKCR and NSMBW were 100% playable with wiimote alone, and it's certainly no worse than the over-reliance on QTE's on every action game on PS360...
post #623 of 1333 Old 06-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Those sidescrollers were, but Twilight Princess wasn't, short of buying the gamecube copy. That game could've been spectacular if it didn't have the motion control mini games that were required to advance. I adored the wiimote on every game but that one.

post #624 of 1333 Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I seem to recall reading somewhere back in the Wii's salad days that both MKWii & SSBB had every Wii control option possible put in place to appeal to the core gamers who had been grinding away on both franchises' previous entries using more traditional controls. Both featured "simplified/casual" & various levels of motion controls to satisfy the newbs/casuals, and in the case of MKWii, the 1st time use of a plastic steering wheel (well....not the first gaming steering wheel controller ever, but you know what I mean... wink.gif ).

Of course, Activision made a point of promoting Classic Controller support for Goldeneye - right down to featuring a gold Pro controller pack in. Their COD WIi ports also added Classic support - and even online voice chat - to appeal to the 'core gamers (who weren't playing COD on the Wii in the first place...)

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #625 of 1333 Old 06-28-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

They're the way it should be. Every available control option that makes sense is available.

Did Call of Duty 3 have Classic Controller or GameCube support? I'm pretty sure that one was limited to the nunchuck/wiimote combo unlike the more ambitious and more fully featured ports that came later.
post #626 of 1333 Old 06-28-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

CoD4 MW R was also Wii Remote / Chuck only.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #627 of 1333 Old 06-28-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

CoD4 MW R was also Wii Remote / Chuck only.

As was COD 3 & World @ War, although they also gave players the option of using the Wii Zapper.

Classic Controller options & voice chat came to the Wii COD games with BlOps, then BlOps 2. GCN gamepads were never an option, IIRC. One thing I did enjoy about the COD Wii games I played was that the Wiimote & 'chuk buttons & certain motions could be totally customized, as well as pretty deep options for aiming/dead zone with the Wiimote. But the occasional frame rate issues led them to never be as smooth as the Metroid Prime controls. The only 3rd party title I came across that had controls almost as solid as the MP Trilogy was Red Steel 2, but I assume there were at least a couple others.

post #628 of 1333 Old 06-29-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=585936

There is now a movement to end the Wii U and 3DS region lock.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #629 of 1333 Old 06-29-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

That would be nice since I'm sure Nintendo will neglect or drag their feet bringing some European titles over here just like they did the last time around.

Can't think of any Japanese titles on the Wii I'd of wanted to play that region free would've resolved the situation for me. There was Fatal Frame 4, but the homebrew translation patch also took care of the region lock for that and I'd of not wanted to play it without a translation anyways.
post #630 of 1333 Old 06-29-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Pokemon getting a world wide release at the same time gives me hope that Nintendo learned a lesson from the Rainfall titles taking so long to hit the US. At the very least X should hit the US in a timely manner.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page