Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #631 of 1348 Old 06-29-2013, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I've never paid attention to Pokemon but it seems like it's much more than just a niche series in North America. So I don't think you can read anything into that where quality titles that are a low priority for Nintendo of America are concerned.

Since it clearly isn't going to happen on the Wii, I hope Nintendo releases a Fatal Frame HD compilation. Remakes of Fatal Frame and Fatal Frame 3 along with HD ports of the Fatal Frame 2 remake and Fatal Frame 4 from the Wii would make for a heck of a disc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1348 Old 07-01-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
http://ff6.ocremix.org/

Old school Final Fantasy fans, give this a download. It is worth it for the amazing Opera remix alone. (It is free and legal)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #633 of 1348 Old 07-01-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

http://ff6.ocremix.org/

Old school Final Fantasy fans, give this a download. It is worth it for the amazing Opera remix alone. (It is free and legal)

Wow, didn't know anything about this.

Had just started playing an orchestrated cover of Aria Di Mezzo Carattere when I clicked on this thread.
post #634 of 1348 Old 07-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ouch- ZombiU was in the red, despite being one of the biggest launch games and getting some significant praise from gamers.

Quote:
Yves Guillemot, Chairman and CEO of Ubisoft, is typically one of the biggest proponents of new systems, but betting big on the Wii U didn't work out well for the company. ZombiU, one of the most popular launch titles for the system with players, was not profitable, he says. Not even close. As such, he says, there are no plans (or even desire) for a sequel.

It was, in fact, because of that game's performance that Ubisoft decided to make Rayman Legends a multiplatform game.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-08-does-nintendo-stand-a-chance-this-holiday

Article might need to go in the "Wii death thread"... They're pretty clear about how poorly things have gone so far
Quote:

"The lack of online engagement that we see on Wii U [is troubling]," says Moore. "It's so integral to what we do. They're so small it's hardly worth running the servers. It seems like a box that's out of sync with the future of EA - which is one that gives a real social feel to our games. The Wii U feels like an offline experience right now."
post #635 of 1348 Old 07-08-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 690
yeah things don't look good...i mean as it is i can't EVER remember a major console being talked about less than the wiiU.
post #636 of 1348 Old 07-08-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

yeah things don't look good...i mean as it is i can't EVER remember a major console being talked about less than the wiiU.

It didn't really help that they barely showed up at e3 either.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #637 of 1348 Old 07-08-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It didn't really help that they barely showed up at e3 either.

They made the right call on doing a Direct instead of a press event, but blew it by making all the most wanted games 2014 or later. 3D Mario is what Nintendo fans were waiting for, something to top Galaxy, and all we got was a 3DS rehash.

If the 3DS wasn't setting the world on fire, I really think Nintendo would be in talks with Sony about a partnership.

Heck, I still think they should be at this point. Kill the Wii U and Vita since both are selling like crap and partner up, Nintendo handheld hardware and Sony console hardware with the ingenuity of both companies behind the games. This would be the biggest partnership in gaming history, and neither would truly be admitting defeat and both would still be seperate companies that produce hardware and software.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #638 of 1348 Old 07-08-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

They made the right call on doing a Direct instead of a press event, but blew it by making all the most wanted games 2014 or later. 3D Mario is what Nintendo fans were waiting for, something to top Galaxy, and all we got was a 3DS rehash.

If the 3DS wasn't setting the world on fire, I really think Nintendo would be in talks with Sony about a partnership.

Heck, I still think they should be at this point. Kill the Wii U and Vita since both are selling like crap and partner up, Nintendo handheld hardware and Sony console hardware with the ingenuity of both companies behind the games. This would be the biggest partnership in gaming history, and neither would truly be admitting defeat and both would still be seperate companies that produce hardware and software.

Direct or conference, I'm just imagining an alternate history where they got on some stage, and just showed game after game that blew people away. Even if its just old favorites completely re-imagined like metroid prime, super mario galaxy or wind waker. Even the 2014 games look like more of the same.

post #639 of 1348 Old 07-08-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I just imagined a Zelda or Metroid title on PS4 hardware codeveloped by Nintendo and Naughty Dog...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #640 of 1348 Old 07-08-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:

I just imagined a Zelda or Metroid title on PS4 hardware codeveloped by Nintendo and Naughty Dog...

now you are really dreaming smile.gif
post #641 of 1348 Old 07-08-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

now you are really dreaming smile.gif

I know, but such a partnership would lead to some interesting possibilities...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #642 of 1348 Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's a shame that they haven't stepped up their game to compete with the likes of naughty dog. The rest of the industry has been putting out cinematic masterpieces for years, meanwhile it's still anyone's guess if the next Zelda will even have voice acting. That's how far behind they are!

post #643 of 1348 Old 07-08-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm fine without voice acting. If I want a "cinematic masterpiece" I'll fire up my Blu-ray player. I want engaging gameplay with endless replay value, and that's what Nintendo delivers in its games.
Monger, Leo_Ames and TeflonSoul like this.
post #644 of 1348 Old 07-08-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
I don't mind that they haven't went the linear, less colorful, and more cinematic route. We get plenty of that from other studios. I wouldn't mind a Zelda like the e3 Wii U demo one though.

My big disappointment would be with 3d world. I'm sure it will be a fun game, but it's disappointing they went the "accessible" route with their 3d Mario game. Galaxy 1 and 2 were amazing and I feel like we're getting shafted.
post #645 of 1348 Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think they went this route for accessibility. I think the biggest reason they went the route they're going with Super Mario 3D World or whatever it's called is because of local multiplayer. They wanted to incorporate the feature after the success they've enjoyed with multiplayer in the two console entries for New Super Mario Brothers. But with a traditional 3D Mario platformer, they weren't going to be able to do that unless they went split-screen.

But with a fixed viewpoint that the player can't control that follows the player and worlds that are more linear. it's practical having multiple players share the same screen. So I think that's why they went down a route that almost seems like a hybrid of 2D and 3D Mario rather than going down the Galaxy route again.
post #646 of 1348 Old 07-08-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

I'm fine without voice acting. If I want a "cinematic masterpiece" I'll fire up my Blu-ray player. I want engaging gameplay with endless replay value, and that's what Nintendo delivers in its games.

Sure, but are you telling me you'd rather read walls of text in the next Zelda, given the choice?

post #647 of 1348 Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

With Nintendo's history of voice acting, I sure would.

If they could do a top notch job of it though, I'd accept it. But Link should never say anything. His end of a conversation should always be silent just like Gordon Freeman. Leave it to our imagination beyond the usual grunts and such that we've had since Ocarina of Time.
post #648 of 1348 Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

It's a shame that they haven't stepped up their game to compete with the likes of naughty dog. The rest of the industry has been putting out cinematic masterpieces for years, meanwhile it's still anyone's guess if the next Zelda will even have voice acting. That's how far behind they are!

I'm personally tired of these so called "cinematic masterpieces". We're talking video games not movies. These "cinematic masterpieces" leave us with great graphics however the gameplay aspects are gimped compared to older games. Instead of exploration we're left with "on rails" style levels. I'm sick of a long intro, a little gameplay, some cinematic, a little gameplay, oh look another cinematic... I'm increasingly finding that I do not care about video game stories any longer I just want to get back to the game and actually play it.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #649 of 1348 Old 07-09-2013, 03:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

If they could do a top notch job of it though, I'd accept it. But Link should never say anything. His end of a conversation should always be silent just like Gordon Freeman. Leave it to our imagination beyond the usual grunts and such that we've had since Ocarina of Time.

It doesn't need to be horrible. Just give him some personality. Get the kid who voices Finn on Adventure Time to do it. If they're going to reuse the same characters for the next three decades, they need to go off in a different direction from time to time.

post #650 of 1348 Old 07-09-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Fire Emblem Awakening and Kid Icarus Uprising had great voice acting.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #651 of 1348 Old 07-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I disagree about FE. Apart from the cutscenes, I'd rather just read the text than have them say "Huh!" or "Milord!" and pretend that has anything to do with the dialogue. Wish I could turn that off without muting the level up sounds.
Quote:

Sure, but are you telling me you'd rather read walls of text in the next Zelda, given the choice?

I'm happier with "I am Error" and "It's dangerous to go alone" than Fi's unskippable monologue. Skyward Sword had the best story in years and was the worst Zelda game I've finished.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #652 of 1348 Old 07-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It doesn't need to be horrible. Just give him some personality. Get the kid who voices Finn on Adventure Time to do it. If they're going to reuse the same characters for the next three decades, they need to go off in a different direction from time to time.

Oh dear god no. Anything more than "Hyah" would be ridiculous. This is like the people who want to animate Calvin & Hobbes. I can imagine better voices for the characters.
Link is not a character anyway. He's a blank template I can inhabit. Anything else kills the fantasy..

post #653 of 1348 Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If he's such a blank canvas, then they should just let you design your own link.

If they're going to give him a specific look, and a backstory, they should go all the way and give him as much personality as the technology affords. Right now it's this uncomfortable mix between character and canvas that can only support the most shallow good vs evil story. If I'm supposed to believe there's any real connection between link and Zelda, he needs to be able to have a dialogue.

post #654 of 1348 Old 07-09-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 542
I'd love a Zelda game using the Journey style graphics engine.
post #655 of 1348 Old 07-09-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not familiar with Adventure Time. But even if it was excellent, I'd still prefer Link to be silent.

I'd accept voice acting for other characters he encounters though if it's done well and isn't something like Star Fox 64. But Link and Gordon Freeman are two game characters that should always be silent in my book.

I think voice work for either is just destined to be a disappointment. One way conversations and leaving the character's side of the conversation a blank slate and up to your imagination works so beautifully in both franchises. I can't imagine the best writing and voice actors in the business being able to live up to what we've built up in our minds over the past 25 years for Zelda.

And frankly, I think we'd likely have something like Slippy from Star Fox 64 or their Mario voice actor if they did try. But I'd be willing to keep an open mind if they ever did try and cross my fingers that it at least doesn't detract from the experience. And who knows, I've been known to be wrong from time to time. wink.gif
Quote:

Fire Emblem Awakening and Kid Icarus Uprising had great voice acting.

That's nice, I haven't played either so their strength in that area easily slipped by me. I'm not so sure I'd agree on Kid Icarus though if I ever did play it (I don't intend to due to what I've read about its control combined with being disappointed with the gameplay direction they took the franchise after decades of dormancy since I was hoping for a 2D or 3D Kid Icarus more in line with its roots).

I've seen some quotes from that game like some joke about laser eye surgery so even if the voice work itself was top notch, I'm pretty sure the dialogue itself wouldn't do anything for me but make me roll my eyes like when I read that in some review of the game.
post #656 of 1348 Old 07-09-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This is another reason why they need new characters...cause they've built up 30 years of traditions that apparently people can't accept any deviation from. If Link opening his mouth and speaking is a bridge too far, then it's time for them to create someone new that won't trigger the same expectations.

post #657 of 1348 Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm more than open for innovation in the Zelda series. I'm just skeptical of voice work although I'm going to remain open minded.

If it carries the name Zelda, I'm going to be buying it and I'm sure I'd find much to love.
post #658 of 1348 Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is another reason why they need new characters...cause they've built up 30 years of traditions that apparently people can't accept any deviation from. If Link opening his mouth and speaking is a bridge too far, then it's time for them to create someone new that won't trigger the same expectations.

Sure, and that's no big deal. There's all kinds of dialogue in Wonderful 101. I'm just not sure what Link would say. Here's your egg? Yes I would like a sword upgrade? The blank slate characters are still important, I think. Look at Portal 2 or Bioshock. There's loads of dialogue, little backstory and the protagonist is silent. Then there's Assassins Creed 3 or Final Fantasy 13 where you want to punch your own character in the mouth.

It's really the trend of cinematic games that irks me. It's five minutes before I get to actually play. That used to be limited to JRPGs.
ThisOneKidMongo likes this.

post #659 of 1348 Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

There are plenty of other games out there for people who think a good game needs cinematic cut scenes and voice acting. Im happy that Zelda hasn't turned into something like that.
post #660 of 1348 Old 07-10-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Sure, and that's no big deal. There's all kinds of dialogue in Wonderful 101. I'm just not sure what Link would say. Here's your egg? Yes I would like a sword upgrade? The blank slate characters are still important, I think. Look at Portal 2 or Bioshock. There's loads of dialogue, little backstory and the protagonist is silent. Then there's Assassins Creed 3 or Final Fantasy 13 where you want to punch your own character in the mouth.

It's really the trend of cinematic games that irks me. It's five minutes before I get to actually play. That used to be limited to JRPGs.

I think the blank slate tends to work better in first person games, where you don't actually see the character. It's no coincidence that you know next to nothing about the protagonists in half life, bioshock or portal - they're really just empty shells. There's a lot more to link...he's got parents, friends, companions etc.

It doesn't need to beat you over the head with hours of dialog like final fantasy, but a cutscene is nothing new in the Zelda series. Except it usually consists of someone uttering a funny noise, walls of text talking to him like an idiot cause he can't speak back, and the most you get from him is a funny look on his face, like he really wants to say something but can't. It doesn't need to turn into a super serious story, I think it'd be way better if it was fun and playful like a cartoon. It doesn't even need to have cutscenes, a lot could be said while walking around (similar to uncharted).

Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page