Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #991 of 1329 Old 12-05-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
You're welcome to post something to the contrary then. I've noticed most people don't like it when they don't report what they want to hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1329 Old 12-05-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

You're welcome to post something to the contrary then. I've noticed most people don't like it when they don't report what they want to hear.

VGChartz posted that Tales of Graces f had sold 180k, actual sales were closer to 60k, their data is made up. They were banned from a forum for posting their falsified predictions as fact and went off to start VGChartz. Never trust their "data" I never have, for good or ill, and neither should anyone else.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #993 of 1329 Old 12-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I still don't see the point of posting about sales data. Everyone seems to think that sales=sequels and sequels are the greatest thing ever, until they actually come out.

I have a wii u, I use it and it's fine. I'm not upset that more people didn't buy it. Millions of people buying it aren't going to affect my experience, much like the first Wii. Nobody bought bit trip runner and I love it.

I can read "last console" posts on IGN if I want to. I'm sick of Nintendoom. It's just a downer. If you don't like the system, sell it and stop posting here. No one's reading your "advice for Nintendo" so cram it.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #994 of 1329 Old 12-05-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

I've got Wario Land and the colored pillarboxes appear

Yeah, but in that case, don't they overlay the custom border with some status information to declutter the 4:3 gameplay area? It has been a while, but I vaguely recall that. So they might consider it the preferred way for that particular game on a 16:9 display.

Glad someone understood the question. I asked somewhere else first and even with the two pictures as an illustration, it might as well have been in Greek with the responses I received. Should've known to go here first.
DaverJ likes this.
post #995 of 1329 Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

I still don't see the point of posting about sales data. Everyone seems to think that sales=sequels and sequels are the greatest thing ever, until they actually come out.

I have a wii u, I use it and it's fine. I'm not upset that more people didn't buy it. Millions of people buying it aren't going to affect my experience, much like the first Wii. Nobody bought bit trip runner and I love it.

I can read "last console" posts on IGN if I want to. I'm sick of Nintendoom. It's just a downer. If you don't like the system, sell it and stop posting here. No one's reading your "advice for Nintendo" so cram it.

1. you need to chill out
2. if other people don't buy it, well it effects everyone else, there are people that want to play more games and since other developers are not developing/porting games over to it, that means less games for people to play, some very popular games that people would love to play. It also means that developers won't spend time making exclusive, great games for wiiU, so yes even you might be missing out on games that will never be made due to lack of sales.
3. i have bought every N console and after a couple of more price drops i will buy a wiiU, but if you don't like hearing the truth (sales suck, profits down, etc..) and want to live in a "nothing ever gets said bad about N" world, then this might not be the place, people here (most anyways) are grounded in some sort of reality... and there are facts that can't be ignored look at stock price over the last 3 years and tell me if you notice anything.. http://quotes.morningstar.com/stock/s?t=ntdoy
post #996 of 1329 Old 12-07-2013, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Stock price really doesn't mean anything.

Nintendo still pulls in billions annually, and is sitting on a ton of cash. If you care to look beyond the 3yr stock price and into the 10yr stock price, they are higher than before the Wii. With the Wii there was a lot of anticipation, speculation, and then once the thing launched people wanting to cash in on Nintendo's ridiculously fast success.
Plus also consider that Nintendo stock is only ~$2 from Sony's stock and MS stock has largly been stagnet for the past 10 years. Currently on a heathly upswing, who knows how long will last.

Profits down? At last Nitendo generally makes heathly profits unlike Sony and MS. Been used to their gaming divisions be money losing. Have LONG lifecycles so they can make some money. This generation MS and Sony are doing what Nintendo tends to do. Don't sell a console that costs $100~$300 more to make than what you sell it at.

Anyways, Nintendo is fine. Even if the Wii U is a big flop, Nintendo can take the hit. Sega took several hits and was never really in a financial place that Nintendo has been in. Sega took a lot more risks and had a lot more failures that helped its demise. Gear, CD, 32x, Saturn, Dreamcast.
Nintendo had Virtual Boy way back in the day, and potentially, maybe WiiU.

Should jump on the WiiU. I took advantage of two great bundles over the holidays.
$250 Mario and Luigi Deluxe Bundle
$260 Skylanders + Nintendo Land Basic Bundle

I think these prices are awesome, and being bundled! Basically made the consoles themselves $180 and $155 if one was going to buy those bundled games anyways!!!
I think Holiday sales are going to be great for all systems. I went to target and they were sold out of everything. Only had one Wii mini and x360 on the shelf left at 5:30pm this evening with a packed electronic section. I really like how Target displays their stuff. Actually get to touch every console. Our Walmarts don't even have that. But at Walmart the WiiU section is actually larger than the XO and PS3 sections combined.
WiiU + Wii section is just as large as XO, PS4, PS360 combined.

I have a feeling that WiiU development is more of programmer laziness, programmer who truely doesn't enjoy using the WiiU as a tool to play games, and large corporate developers purely thinking $$$ signs.
I think this because the Dreamcast of all systems is having a new game released on it. Pier Solar HD. This is because the developers actually love that system, and figure others do as well. So are releasing a freaking Dreamcast game in 2014!!!
post #997 of 1329 Old 12-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Ouch. Cnet puts the Wii U at the same level as DVD players: it made the top 5 "Tech Gifts To Avoid" list.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/worst-holiday-tech-gifts/9742-1_53-50158783.html

Cnet if I recall also did the same with blu-ray players as there was no benifit to blu-ray over dvd. rolleyes.gif The wiiU hasn't been all that great untill recently and now the first party games are coming out it is a very good purchase for those who like Nintendo's first party. In fact as a gaming device I would rate it behind pc and ps4, but still ahead of the xbox one thus far. It is most certainly a quality machine that whilst under powered is more then capable of making up for that issue with its exclusives. Afteral even as a primary pc gamer the most important thing is the games and the gameplay, story, acting etc. Graphics are nice, but gameplay is more important (though yes power does also impact gameplay).
post #998 of 1329 Old 12-08-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 704
I remember when cnet was worth the electrons to visit. By the time I get to cnet for anything I'm out of options and hoping some obscure consumer got a question answered there that google crawled.
post #999 of 1329 Old 12-08-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog007 View Post

Stock price really doesn't mean anything.

Nintendo still pulls in billions annually, and is sitting on a ton of cash. If you care to look beyond the 3yr stock price and into the 10yr stock price, they are higher than before the Wii. With the Wii there was a lot of anticipation, speculation, and then once the thing launched people wanting to cash in on Nintendo's ridiculously fast success.
Plus also consider that Nintendo stock is only ~$2 from Sony's stock and MS stock has largly been stagnet for the past 10 years. Currently on a heathly upswing, who knows how long will last.

Profits down? At last Nitendo generally makes heathly profits unlike Sony and MS. Been used to their gaming divisions be money losing. Have LONG lifecycles so they can make some money. This generation MS and Sony are doing what Nintendo tends to do. Don't sell a console that costs $100~$300 more to make than what you sell it at.

Anyways, Nintendo is fine. Even if the Wii U is a big flop, Nintendo can take the hit. Sega took several hits and was never really in a financial place that Nintendo has been in. Sega took a lot more risks and had a lot more failures that helped its demise. Gear, CD, 32x, Saturn, Dreamcast.
Nintendo had Virtual Boy way back in the day, and potentially, maybe WiiU.

Should jump on the WiiU. I took advantage of two great bundles over the holidays.
$250 Mario and Luigi Deluxe Bundle
$260 Skylanders + Nintendo Land Basic Bundle

I think these prices are awesome, and being bundled! Basically made the consoles themselves $180 and $155 if one was going to buy those bundled games anyways!!!
I think Holiday sales are going to be great for all systems. I went to target and they were sold out of everything. Only had one Wii mini and x360 on the shelf left at 5:30pm this evening with a packed electronic section. I really like how Target displays their stuff. Actually get to touch every console. Our Walmarts don't even have that. But at Walmart the WiiU section is actually larger than the XO and PS3 sections combined.
WiiU + Wii section is just as large as XO, PS4, PS360 combined.

I have a feeling that WiiU development is more of programmer laziness, programmer who truely doesn't enjoy using the WiiU as a tool to play games, and large corporate developers purely thinking $$$ signs.
I think this because the Dreamcast of all systems is having a new game released on it. Pier Solar HD. This is because the developers actually love that system, and figure others do as well. So are releasing a freaking Dreamcast game in 2014!!!

for the record i am not saying the N is "going under", just saying to act like the wiiU is some great success and if anyone says anything bad about it they are a "hater" is ignorant...
post #1000 of 1329 Old 12-09-2013, 07:32 PM

I hear yah.

Though I have been a happy Wii U camper this shopping season.

$495 total and I got

Deluxe Wii U Mario and Luigi Bundle
Super Mario 3D World
Nintendo Land
Wii U Pro Controller
2x Wiimote
2x Nunchuk

I couldn't have bought an XO for that price. I could have bought a PS4 with one game not worth playing, and maybe still slightly have gone over.

But instead going the Wii U I four games, and three additional controllers, plus a remote television (Gamepad).

1080p this, 1080p that, Wii U actually has a decent amount of titles that are 1080p. The art style that Nintendo goes with is usually very clean and nice looking anyways not matter what resolution you are at.
Wii U is underpowered, I think they could have gone a different direction hardware wise to up the game just a little, but I actually think that they have closed the gap with this generation vs. last generation. Wii was old school GPU from 2003. Just an updated Gamecube GPU. The new GPU is modern, a DX10/11 level GPU, and can handle GPGPU. It doesn't have the horsepower behind it like the XO/PS4, but technically they are on the same playing field.

Graphics don't make games though. Great games is what it is all about. People still develop for old school consoles and next year the Dreamcast is even getting a new title launched for it. If people are going to talk about graphics this and graphics that, the only answer is PS4. GPU is roughly ~30% faster and will always have higher AA, higher resolution, higher frame rate or any combination of the three in a majority of the ports. Exclusives will become very noticeable over time.
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #1001 of 1329 Old 12-10-2013, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're going to enjoy Wii games on there, I'd recommend adding a Wii Classic Controller Pro to your lineup. But it looks like you're pretty much all set. smile.gif
post #1002 of 1329 Old 12-10-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't recommend the classic controller enough, even though only a few games support it. It made a world of difference in Xenoblade and The Last Story.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1003 of 1329 Old 12-11-2013, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Must be my taste in games but I bet that close to half of my Wii library of 80 or so retail games supported it. And of course there's the Virtual Console where it's mandatory for several of the emulated platforms and 2/3's of my 8 WiiWare games also can utilize it.

And for someone that already has the Wiimotes, it also can fill out a multiplayer Wii U roster for a lot less money than a full Wii U Pro Controller would run. Super Mario 3D World and the upcoming Super Smash Brothers 4 and Mario Kart 8 all include Classic Controller support.
post #1004 of 1329 Old 12-11-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I can't recommend the classic controller enough, even though only a few games support it. It made a world of difference in Xenoblade and The Last Story.

Actually I do have a classic pro controller. I even sport the Wavebird still. biggrin.gif

I sold my original wiimotes and nunchuks. Sold the Wiimotes because they werent the plus, I had the plus as an addon. Got the Luigi and Mario Wiimote's that have the plus built in. smile.gif

I have the Wii and have really enjoyed it. I still have a few games in my library I haven't really played yet and I recently added another ~10 to my want list that I recently discovered. It sold a lot, but by "hardcore" gamers it is really underrated. Maybe it has something to do with the graphics. redface.gif

I never had a Gamecube so I am starting to dip into the Gamecube library.
post #1005 of 1329 Old 12-11-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

For those wanting more Smash, Project M just went 3.0

It is a mod that makes Brawl play like Melee and can be played without modding your system, even on the Wii U.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=727435

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1006 of 1329 Old 12-12-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Crap, NPD numbers are out, and they are abysmal to say the least. I really have to question if Nintendo can salvage this one...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1007 of 1329 Old 12-12-2013, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Quote:

Crap, NPD numbers are out, and they are abysmal to say the least. I really have to question if Nintendo can salvage this one...

I hope they don't. The sooner they call it quits on making home consoles and start making games for other platforms, the better it is for everyone. The world doesn't need 4 living room platforms. Hell, it doesn't even need 3.

I mean really, what's the point? If they're not capable of attracting third parties anymore, there's no money to be made in licensing fees. Mario and Zelda would still sell like gangbusters on other platforms. They had a good run, better to salvage what's left than let bad hardware drive them into the ground financially and creatively.
benjamin-benjami likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #1008 of 1329 Old 12-13-2013, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

If they leave the traditional handheld and console model behind with the coming generation, I think they can still be the platform holder despite encroachment from mobile devices that have stolen most of the casual fare from Nintendo's handhelds (The 3DS is succeeding largely based on console style experiences) and their console struggles.

I think they will have a handheld with room for several games to reside on its internal memory that plugs into a dock at home to charge that outputs video to your HDTV, connects to a wireless gamepad, and has additional storage room and perhaps supports physical game media being inserted. When they're developing software for a single hybrid platform. I think that will fix many of their issues.

Heck, if they can almost keep a handheld and a console line going just on 1st party releases alone, merging both environments should be of great help regardless of 3rd parties or what Sony and Microsoft are doing or what's happening in the mobile electronics world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I hope they don't. The sooner they call it quits on making home consoles and start making games for other platforms, the better it is for everyone. The world doesn't need 4 living room platforms. Hell, it doesn't even need 3.

I mean really, what's the point? If they're not capable of attracting third parties anymore, there's no money to be made in licensing fees. Mario and Zelda would still sell like gangbusters on other platforms. They had a good run, better to salvage what's left than let bad hardware drive them into the ground financially and creatively.

No thanks

When they're the platform holder, there's incentive to green light a risky project like Metroid Prime was over a decade ago despite being in a franchise that was traditionally modestly successful at best in most of the world. Lots of dedicated Metroid fans so it created a lot of buzz and got a significant number of people buying GameCube's (And accessories and additional software) so even if it hadn't been the first runaway sales hit for the franchise like it ended up being, it was still a worthwhile effort to pursue since Nintendo was poised to reap a lot of indirect benefits from its existence that directly translate to the bottom line..

Reduce them to evaluating projects based purely on their direct cost and direct benefits and you'd have a publisher that only releases Mario platformers, Mario Kart, and a few other projects with few risks in new franchises or attempts to revitalize Nintendo's less successful franchises. Even Zelda has slowly been declining in general for sales and could possibly one of these days be in the position Metroid has long been in where the value in doing a Metroid project is as much the indirect benefits for Nintendo as it is what it gains at the cash register at retail.

The only way it would halfway work would be if Sony swallowed them up and let them operate with the minimum of interference as a 1st party studio.
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #1009 of 1329 Old 12-13-2013, 03:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

But that's all they're doing. There's more Mario than ever before. What risks have they been taking lately?

post #1010 of 1329 Old 12-13-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd say that Pikmin was a big risk. Modestly successful on the GCN yet it was positioned as their big spring/summer game to tide people over on a platform desperate for new 1st party games until Wind Waker HD finally arrived as a prelude to Super Mario 3D World. Or how about resurrecting the long dead Kid Icarus franchise on the 3DS?

But certainly with their recent struggles, they've had to place most of their focus on the content with the widest appeal rather than those with dedicated but smallish fan bases so there's some truth to what you said although it was the only responsible thing they could do. But when things are healthier, I think they regularly take such risks at least with their established franchises to keep their established fans happy and grow their audience by exposing new gamers to beloved franchises.

Granted they haven't done much outside of established franchises for many years now (I can only think off hand of 4 big ones since the N64's launch that weren't in established franchises or derivatives of an existing one (Super Smash Brothers, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, and Wii Sports). But they have such a vast group of established IP to dig back into and resurrect that they almost don't need to in order to provide variety.

I think they can cure their console hardware ills in say 3 years with a hybrid replacement for both the 3DS that will be ready for replacement by then and the Wii U which hopefully can at least match GCN hardware sales by that point and be strung along and gain a bit of respectability for its exclusives (And hopefully at least gain back 360/PS3 ports from a few big publishers like EA in the process).

They don't need a slice of the 360/PS3 pie. They just need to keep the Nintendo fan and a healthy slice of the children and casual/family markets. Those are the areas that they've done so well at since the Playstation arrived and I think with a merging of their two segments, they can succeed again in both.

But I can't imagine another dedicated console from Nintendo unless the Wii U experiences a miracle.
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #1011 of 1329 Old 12-13-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

But that's presuming the Wii U is worth saving. The only upside to controlling the platform is the 3rd party licensing fees. That ship has sailed and 360/PS3 era is coming to a close anyway. The profit on the console itself is a drop in the bucket, or outright negative if they have to keep dropping the price below what it costs to build.

The game library on Wii U isn't strong enough to stand as anyone's primary console, so just about everyone is faced with the prospect of paying $299 just for the privilege of being able to buy those 2-3 decent first party games a year. The value proposition just isn't there.

The shift is inevitable anyway, since the Wii U is unsustainable and they've fallen so far behind the competition in terms of online services that they can never catch up. I just hope it happens sooner than later.

post #1012 of 1329 Old 12-13-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

The 360/PS3 can expect several more years of solid support from multiplatform publishers. Particularly from those that have mastered the art of the annual franchise milking.

And I can't imagine why it wouldn't be worth saving the Wii U. And despite struggles, I count 7 big games for me and only 1 of those is multiplatform so it hasn't been all bad during the opening 14 months or so. And that's excluding things like Ubisoft releases that I'd prefer to stay with MS/Sony for but which Nintendo has received solid versions of in franchises like Assassin's Creed.

And even though I'm arguing why it's in our interest that they don't go multiplatform, there are definitely benefits there other than 3rd party licensing fees for Nintendo themselves. A lot of the Nintendo magic has came from being able to tailor their hardware to suit what their gaming vision is and a decent chunk of the money that has filled their coffers over the years has came directly from hardware and accessory sales. Plus if they go multiplatform, suddenly a chunk of their own software revenue will be going into Sony and Microsoft's bank accounts instead of Nintendo's.

I don't see why the past 12 months (And that really is what it has been since the Wii U had a decent launch) should mean automatically giving up, especially after being so successful the generation before. They clearly missed something but I don't see why that suddenly means that it's an exercise in futility for the company to save its console business that has sold 100 million Wii's and counting. Especially when the 3DS went through a pretty rough period itself but has recovered nicely and shows that it can be done and when Nintendo's financials have been extremely strong until the past 2-3 years.

I think a hybrid handheld/console is a good fit for them so I hope that is the direction they go when it comes time for next gen hardware. Combining their development resources towards a single system and I literally can't see why a Nintendo system couldn't exist on Nintendo's merits alone.
post #1013 of 1329 Old 12-13-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The 3DS's rough stretch was just a failure to meet the stratospheric expectations that the DS set. Especially after that mega price cut, it's sold consistently. Third parties didn't abandon it, because where would they go? Certainly not the vita. The smartphone gold rush is over. Even if they went back to the DS, Nintendo still wins.

The Wii U is an unmitigated disaster. It's not just failing to meet the expectations set by the Wii, it's failing to meet any reasonable measure of success. It's not the same situation at all. And 3rd parties have no reason to stick around when there's two last gen consoles with 10-20 times the install base, and a real next gen just getting started. Looking back on the past year it's bad and looking forward it's no better.

Maybe if they pull another 2DS by ripping the gamepad out and dropping the price to $149 they can make it an impulse buy. That would appeal to parents/children and gamers alike. That should at least buy them enough time to take another shot or bow out of set top consoles gracefully.

post #1014 of 1329 Old 12-13-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 704
post #1015 of 1329 Old 12-13-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 3DS's rough stretch was just a failure to meet the stratospheric expectations that the DS set. Especially after that mega price cut, it's sold consistently. Third parties didn't abandon it, because where would they go? Certainly not the vita. The smartphone gold rush is over. Even if they went back to the DS, Nintendo still wins.

There was tons of doom and gloom during this same period for the 3DS. And there was a huge market shift. The casual market that in particular was so beneficial for the DS all but flew away and many wondered if Nintendo could ever succeed again in the handheld sphere.

What dominates the 3DS are essentially console titles in handheld form. Think about how often we're putting that casual oriented touch screen to use on the 3DS in any significant way. There was a huge and rocky evolution moving from the DS to the 3DS. And frankly, they're winning today and they're doing so on the merits of their own software.

It's not 3rd parties that have saved the 3DS and their work doesn't represent much of what has reinvigorated the platform or what people are looking forward to. I think they can do the same with the Wii U and frankly if they had a title of the caliber of Super Mario 3D World ready for launch last year and had a spring and summer project of such high caliber this year, I think the Wii U would be carving out a healthy and lucrative niche right now.

They didn't miss by much. They should've delayed a year and tried to string the Wii along until software like this was ready. Particularly since it's really not the Xbox and Playstation markets that they're competing in so they really didn't need this year lead. They had enough quality but unreleased titles for the Wii where they could've kept it going easily by bringing those out (At least in North America) and a few Super Mario All-Stars/Kirby's Dream Collection releases for franchises like Zelda and Metroid would've been easy Wii filler to bridge the gap.
Quote:

And 3rd parties have no reason to stick around when there's two last gen consoles with 10-20 times the install base, and a real next gen just getting started.

I don't think they need them. They lost to Sony the first time out the gate and then they lost to Microsoft on their first outing. The market you think is so crucial is one they haven't tried for to any great degree since the GameCube days and is one that left Nintendo long ago.

They need to concentrate on the traditional Nintendo fan and capture as much of the child and casual market as they can and hopefully convert a fair percentage of them into lifelong Nintendo fans. Those are the areas their focus is on and has been their strengths in recent generation and I see nothing out of these 12 months that says its futile to try to rekindle the interest from those areas.
Quote:

Maybe if they pull another 2DS by ripping the gamepad out and dropping the price to $149 they can make it an impulse buy. That would appeal to parents/children and gamers alike. That should at least buy them enough time to take another shot or bow out of set top consoles gracefully.

Is the touch screen all that expensive? Too many games make use of it in some form and many of those that have bought it enjoy off-screen play too much for them to eliminate it now. While it might not be the Wii U's version of motion control like I think Nintendo was hoping, I don't think it's the problem here and I think they'd just hurt themselves if they backtracked now. It's a strength for them even if it's just a modest one.

And they just dropped the price and they just released the first "killer app" for the platform. I think they deserve at least 1 more year with several major releases on the horizon before writing their obituary as a console manufacturer. Dropping it now to $150 and removing a key feature is a going out of business strategy rather than a growth strategy.

They need to make this work to some degree or they might as well abandon the Wii U today and go all in on the 3DS or start slowly dying like Sega did after the Dreamcast where all the spirit of the company left when they went multiplatform with few bright spots since then like Outrun 2 over the past decade and surviving mostly off old memories and peddling rereleases.

For a company that can still put out a game like Super Mario 3D World, I don't want to see that happen to them.
JoshuaL and TeflonSoul like this.
post #1016 of 1329 Old 12-13-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

The 3DS started to recover after 6 months thanks to the price drop to the point it should have launched at originally. The 3DS never slipped as low as the Wii U has in the past year. They are no longer comparable.

It has now come to the point that everyone is simply saying that the next game will save the console. 2D and 3D Mario has failed, what happens if Mario Kart and Smash fail to shift units?

Prior to E3 I still had faith, but with both Mario Kart and Smash slipping to 2014, I knew it would be rough, but not this bad. My only hope is that X is released before any drastic decisions are made.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1017 of 1329 Old 12-13-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The 3DS started to recover after 6 months thanks to the price drop to the point it should have launched at originally. The 3DS never slipped as low as the Wii U has in the past year. They are no longer comparable.

It has now come to the point that everyone is simply saying that the next game will save the console. 2D and 3D Mario has failed, what happens if Mario Kart and Smash fail to shift units?

Prior to E3 I still had faith, but with both Mario Kart and Smash slipping to 2014, I knew it would be rough, but not this bad. My only hope is that X is released before any drastic decisions are made.

Also, every blockbuster system seller was not only a new IP, but a new concept entirely. The DS had nintendogs and brain training. The Wii had Wii sports and Wii fit. The 3DS and Wii U have nothing of the sort.

Mario and Zelda arent going to grow the audience and save the Wii U. Nor would starfox, Kirby or metroid. The people who would buy one just for those franchises are the few million people who already have.

post #1018 of 1329 Old 12-13-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

What's X?

I hope the Wii U will be able to live out a halfway decent life even if it's relegated to 1st party games and that they find a way to continue. So I guess I'll leave it at that since we're both essentially arguing for the way we want it to turn out.

Time will be the only way we get answers.
post #1019 of 1329 Old 12-13-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

WHAT IS X!?

Turn over your Nintendo fan card right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg

From Monolithsoft, the same people behind Xenogears, Xenosaga and Xenoblade. They have a lot of the old Squaresoft Final Fantasy guys.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1020 of 1329 Old 12-13-2013, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Talk of the failure of the Wii U is not really meaningful at this point. Sure it may fail to live up to commercial expectations with its lifetime sales, but as a home video game console it is already a success in my book. The games I've played so far - Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U, New Super Luigi U, and Nintendoland - are worth the console purchase to me. And that's not counting the games I own but haven't played yet (due to my backlog) such as Rayman Legends, Wind Waker HD, and Batman Arkham City. Add in Pikmin and the to-be-released games in 2014 and the Wii U is certainly worth the price of admission.

Let's just enjoy what we have and let Nintendo worry about sales strategies ... they don't strike me as a company that would throw in the towel based on a year of less-than-expected results.
darthrsg and Leo_Ames like this.
Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page