post #1081 of 1490 Old 12-30-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Agreed. I'll leave the War on Happiness for others to fight.

It's like a bottle of cheap vodka vs. grey goose. If you can't appreciate the difference or just want to get hammered, the cheap stuff is just as good.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1490 Old 12-30-2013, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

I think there may have been a brief period of time where this kind of stuff would have concerned me. I can safely say that over the course of this past weekend, resolution, textures, shading, etc. were the last things crossing my mind while enjoying Mario 3D and Blacklist. All that said, the article seems well done if you're a stickler for the details and nuances.

I've been blown away by how well the Wii U looks honestly. I am not a stickler for graphics by any means, especially when it comes to Nintendo (diehard fan), but Mario 3D and Wind Waker HD looks amazing. Just rock solid 60 FPS and crisp clean textures and vibrant colors. Love it. I am playing on an older 58" 720P Panasonic Plasma and games have never looked better on it.
post #1083 of 1490 Old 12-30-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It's like a bottle of cheap vodka vs. grey goose. If you can't appreciate the difference or just want to get hammered, the cheap stuff is just as good.

One time I was a foot soldier in the war. Not anymore. My priorities are different and I just don't see the effect of pixel alias shaders on fun. I totally understand it's an aspect to the hobby but not one that moves any beans in my hill.
post #1084 of 1490 Old 12-30-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 1469
Quote:

One time I was a foot soldier in the war. Not anymore. My priorities are different and I just don't see the effect of pixel alias shaders on fun. I totally understand it's an aspect to the hobby but not one that moves any beans in my hill.

I fully respect your right to not give a damn about it. I def appreciate nice tech when I see it, but the only thing that has a real impact on my enjoyment of a game is a frame rate below 60. I just can't stand 30fps because it has such a detrimental effect on gameplay, and I've always respected Nintendo for pushing 60fps on nearly every game.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #1085 of 1490 Old 12-30-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:

I fully respect your right to not give a damn about it. I def appreciate nice tech when I see it, but the only thing that has a real impact on my enjoyment of a game is a frame rate below 60. I just can't stand 30fps because it has such a detrimental effect on gameplay, and I've always respected Nintendo for pushing 60fps on nearly every game.

Yes this. Silky-smooth FPS has always been more desirable for me than graphics quality. Nothing sucks more than to play a game and then hit some stuttery mess of inconsistent FPS. 30fps is not bad so long as it is consistent.
post #1086 of 1490 Old 12-30-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That, I can back fully. Don't get me wrong I love a piece of gear but just stay away from the techshaming that goes on on internet. It's as bad democrats and republicans.
post #1087 of 1490 Old 12-30-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_bob36 View Post

I've been blown away by how well the Wii U looks honestly. I am not a stickler for graphics by any means, especially when it comes to Nintendo (diehard fan), but Mario 3D and Wind Waker HD looks amazing. Just rock solid 60 FPS and crisp clean textures and vibrant colors. Love it. I am playing on an older 58" 720P Panasonic Plasma and games have never looked better on it.
I'm a big believer in art style over sheer horsepower. For my money, Mario Galaxy 2 and Wind Waker, HD or no, looked better than almost any 'photo-realistic' PS3/360 game.
post #1088 of 1490 Old 12-30-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I'm a big believer in art style over sheer horsepower. For my money, Mario Galaxy 2 and Wind Waker, HD or no, looked better than almost any 'photo-realistic' PS3/360 game.

Indeed. Torchlight 2 on PC is a prime example of this. It never got boring to look at, didn't take a massive rigg to run, and was smoove like ice.
post #1089 of 1490 Old 12-30-2013, 12:26 PM

I have Torchlight 2 on PC, is it same on Wii U?
post #1090 of 1490 Old 12-30-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_bob36 View Post

I have Torchlight 2 on PC, is it same on Wii U?

It's not on Wii U that I'm aware of. I was just bolstering the art style argument.
post #1091 of 1490 Old 12-30-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Native resolution of your display plus a locked framerate will go very far in making a game look good. 60fps is all the better, but a 100% locked 30 is preferable to the mess we got last gen.

Art style can only go so far, but Nintendo are masters of getting everything they can out of their hardware, and making the game look pleasing to the eye in the process. Third parties on the other hand, you get shoddy ports like AC4 that run worse than they do on last gen hardware.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #1092 of 1490 Old 12-30-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:

It's not on Wii U that I'm aware of. I was just bolstering the art style argument.

Sorry I was thinking of Trine 2. But argument is still valid.
post #1093 of 1490 Old 12-30-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

Just got a Wii U for Christmas. I've got a question about the transfer.

From what I've been able to gather, when you transfer content from the old Wii, the "Wii Message Board" or activity log is not copied over, even to the Message Board in the Wii Mode menu. Is this correct?

After the transfer, is the Message Board content left in tact on the old console?

Ideally, I want to do the Wii U transfer to transfer my VC titles, game saves, and Miis over. After the transfer, I'd like to copy the game saves back (the ones that are not tied to a console) as well as the Miis, basically leaving my original Wii how it was sans the VC content.

Can anyone that has done the Wii->Wii U transfer comment on if the message board log stays in tact on the old Wii after the transfer?

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #1094 of 1490 Old 12-31-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:

That, I can back fully. Don't get me wrong I love a piece of gear but just stay away from the techshaming that goes on on internet. It's as bad democrats and republicans.

I think it is funny that you were the one that originally posted about comparing AC4 and now you are saying "you don't care or don't want to get involved" when other people posted about it. If you don't care or didn't want to talk about it, then don't be the person that brings it up.
post #1095 of 1490 Old 12-31-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

I think it is funny that you were the one that originally posted about comparing AC4 and now you are saying "you don't care or don't want to get involved" when other people posted about it. If you don't care or didn't want to talk about it, then don't be the person that brings it up.

I merely posted about the comparisons I saw and read downplaying the Wii U version and that the reasons weren't all that big of a deal (to me) in the grand scheme of things.They look very similar in those videos and screenshots. It was followed by a lecture, not from me, on compression in youtube videos and other spec wagging. THAT led to my statement of position. It's fine if you are into that stuff, I said I was too at one time. People get caught up in the binary choice and fail to see that there are valid third positions. I don't think anyone was disrepected or persuaded for that matter. Far too often if you (not you but the other you) don't like things the same way as someone else you must be destroyed. IT'S VIDEO GAMES DUDE.

I'm a fan of your comments around here, you seem sane, and I am glad you got some humor from mine.
benjamin-benjami likes this.
post #1096 of 1490 Old 01-02-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Get the focus back on WiiU games.

Thanks,

K

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #1097 of 1490 Old 01-02-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I feel like an idiot asking this, but I'm now a Wii U owner but I can't seem to connect to my wifi network. I can see my network and when I enter my 26 letter WEP key, the connection test always fails. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? The counter says 26/64 when I'm done entering it as if it expects a much longer key than mine.
post #1098 of 1490 Old 01-02-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

I feel like an idiot asking this, but I'm now a Wii U owner but I can't seem to connect to my wifi network. I can see my network and when I enter my 26 letter WEP key, the connection test always fails. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? The counter says 26/64 when I'm done entering it as if it expects a much longer key than mine.

It is something very stupid, and it is never the same issue each time I come across it. Start here, it is a very common quirk.

http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/64663922

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1099 of 1490 Old 01-02-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 201
... That being said, you REALLY should upgrade to WPA. WEP encryption is not much better than none at all.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #1100 of 1490 Old 01-02-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

... That being said, you REALLY should upgrade to WPA. WEP encryption is not much better than none at all.

Yep, I had a PSP program that could crack WEP.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1101 of 1490 Old 01-02-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

That did it, thanks.
post #1102 of 1490 Old 01-04-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

whats the over/under on when N will launch a new console..
post #1103 of 1490 Old 01-04-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Probably E3.

Kidding aside, after spending time with the Wii U I'd love to see some marriage with the 3DS/DS. Buy the game in the eshop use the TV as the top screen and the gamepad as the bottom or a 3DS like a controller. There's tons of games on those handhelds I'd love to play.
post #1104 of 1490 Old 01-04-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Give this thread a read if you want to get a good idea of the situation Nintendo is in.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=745429&page=1
TeflonSoul likes this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1105 of 1490 Old 01-04-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kidding aside, after spending time with the Wii U I'd love to see some marriage with the 3DS/DS. Buy the game in the eshop use the TV as the top screen and the gamepad as the bottom or a 3DS like a controller. There's tons of games on those handhelds I'd love to play.

I'd want a full fledged 3DS Player in the style of the Game Boy Player for the GameCube with a cartridge slot and integration to the Wii U for other features like internet connectivity to reduce costs and simplify the experience. Plenty of USB ports on the Wii U so even if it had to tie up two of them in order to provide adequate bandwidth, I don't think that would be a hassle for many.

Some additional features I'd want...

-Pro Controller support for games that don't utilize the touch screen (Sideways Wiimote options such as for 3DS NES downloads and Classic Controller support would also be nice).

-Switch to swap between streaming the touch screen and the top screen via a button on the gamepad to change which screen is streamed. This would enable off tv play for DS/3DS games that don't utilize the touch screen during gameplay (And there must be at least 1 game out there that doesn't have touch control but concentrates the action on the lower screen anyways which you'd want to be able to swap to output to the tv instead of the upper screen).

-Screen options such as a rotation options for the tv output for games that ask you to rotate the handheld 90 degrees and a stacking option to display both screens on the tv for those with the playfield spread across both like Yoshi's Island DS.

-Full button remapping (Including the option of mapping a button to a specific spot on the touch screen for those games that essentially don't use the touch screen beyond as an extra button like the left/right camera controls in Super Mario 64 DS).

And I'd never use it, but they'd need stretch options for those that hate pillarboxing (3DS touch screen and both screens of a DS are 4:3). And I suppose 3D HDTV support if possible would be nice for those that appreciate the 3D capabilities of the 3DS.
post #1106 of 1490 Old 01-04-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I would love a 3DS player. The 3DS capture cards already prove it can be done.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1107 of 1490 Old 01-04-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Any thoughts, views, opinions on playing original Wii games on the U?...
post #1108 of 1490 Old 01-04-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Wii U essentially has perfect backwards compatibility with Wii software (No GCN support). And in some ways, it's even better than original hardware.

Pluses...
-Excellent deinterlacing and/or upscaling capabilities when converting the SD/ED output to your selected HD resolution.
-Automatic 4:3/16:9 aspect ratio detection (No more changing tv settings with your remote control to turn stretch mode on & off).

Negatives...
-Can't use GameCube controllers like the Wavebird in supported Wii games.

Issues...
-Wii U gamepad can't tie into the Classic Controller functionality in supported Wii titles. So while you can stream the video to the gamepad in something like a Wii Virtual Console download, you can't actually use said gamepad to control it.
-There seems to be a slight bit of lag time I don't ever recall on Wii hardware when you hit the home button on the Wii remote before the menu pops up.
DistractedJohn likes this.
post #1109 of 1490 Old 01-04-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Give this thread a read if you want to get a good idea of the situation Nintendo is in.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=745429&page=1

thanks for the link, very informative.. didn't realize that worldwide sales were that bad..
post #1110 of 1490 Old 01-04-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for the link, very informative.. didn't realize that worldwide sales were that bad..

Goes to show that a strong launch means nothing. Nintendo sold over two million worldwide in the 43 days they were on the market in 2012, sales tanked come January.

Hopefully all the sellouts reported in December translate to a solid turnout in the NPDs when they release on the 16th.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page