Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1171 of 1348 Old 01-16-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I'm over 25 hours into New Super Mario Brothers U and I think I've only played through two levels so far on my tv. I fire up something in the background to listen to and play on the gamepad.

I've used the internet and YouTube apps a good bit. Between everything, I bet only 90 minutes of the 40 hours I've logged in the past three weeks since getting this have involved looking at my tv.

I'm sure that will change though as the newness wears off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1348 Old 01-17-2014, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hang on, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need a TV for the initial Gamepad setup? To sync the pad you need to type in symbols on the pad that are displayed on the TV if I remember correctly.
post #1173 of 1348 Old 01-17-2014, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I don't remember that but it's been almost a year since I set mine up. :/ I just remember setting it up next to my PC so I could setup the system update to download cuz I didn't want to throw it on my rack yet since it's a PITA to swap stuff out.

EDIT: Yeah you need to do that. I just looked at the Wii U quick start guide. Sorry about that. frown.gif

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1174 of 1348 Old 01-17-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just take it to a friends place or set it up in the store for the initial gamepad sync.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #1175 of 1348 Old 01-17-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Am I remembering incorrectly or can you hook up a Wii U to any HDMI-equipped computer monitor as well? You could do initial setup that way if so.

That said, and this is just personal opinion of course, buying a Wii U before a TV seems crazy to me, as much as I like my Wii U. I mean, off-TV play is great and all, but at a certain point, it's like dude, just get a 3DS then. tongue.gif And for me, part of the appeal of the Wii U is finally seeing Nintendo characters in HD, which you're not doing with the pad...
DistractedJohn likes this.
post #1176 of 1348 Old 01-17-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 682
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/17/nintendo-cuts-wii-u-sales-forecast-from-9-million-to-28-million

Nintendo has slashed the number of Wii U and 3DS consoles it expects to sell by the end of the financial year, which has had a knock-on effect on its financial projections.

In an earnings release, president Satoru Iwata explained that the company now expects to sell 2.8 million Wii U consoles by the end of March, down from original estimates of 9 million, while 3DS projections have also been revised downwards from 18 million console sales to 13.5 million.
post #1177 of 1348 Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks guys for the input...
post #1178 of 1348 Old 01-17-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have a old CRT laying around and the composite cable from a Wii, you can do the initial setup there since this console has SD/ED capabilities unlike the competition (Although everything outside of Wii mode is letterboxed and there's heavy overscan).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Hang on, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need a TV for the initial Gamepad setup? To sync the pad you need to type in symbols on the pad that are displayed on the TV if I remember correctly.

I did this a few weeks ago but can't remember which screen they were displayed on.
Quote:

Am I remembering incorrectly or can you hook up a Wii U to any HDMI-equipped computer monitor as well? You could do initial setup that way if so.

That's what I hooked it up to so you indeed can.
Quote:

And for me, part of the appeal of the Wii U is finally seeing Nintendo characters in HD, which you're not doing with the pad...

I know it's not HD on the gamepad screen, but the picture is beautiful none the less. If I didn't know that this was 480p or so, I'd never know that the gamepad stream was being downscaled.
post #1179 of 1348 Old 01-17-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru Iwata View Post

We cannot continue a business without winning. We must take a skeptical approach whether we can still simply make game players, offer them in the same way as in the past for ¥20,000 or ¥30,000, and sell titles for a couple of thousand yen each.

I don't like the sounds of that statement. I honesty believe that a merging of their two product lines can be their savior. So I hope they just dig in and hold the fort for a few more years until the 3DS is due for replacement and quickly ease the Wii U into early retirement at that time.
post #1180 of 1348 Old 01-17-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Wii U for the win!!!
post #1181 of 1348 Old 01-17-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

miiverse is pretty cool. I hope that nintendo doesn't go out of business. Some Ps4 are shocking people touching it and a lot of xbox one systems are still having major disc drive problems. At least Nintendo works doesn't shock you and doesn't have major disc drive problems. Wii backward compatibility is cool. I played pinball hall of fame the williams collection on my Wii U and Wii party U. both are pretty fun
post #1182 of 1348 Old 01-18-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Just discovered last night that my almost-4-year old son has enough coordination to play video games. He was able to complete the first level of Sound Shapes on the PS4. Since that console doesn't exactly have a wide array of kid friendly titles, I'm thinking about picking up a WiiU.

I haven't been following this console very closely, but understand it's having some sales issues. I'm hoping this equates to me finding a hellacious deal somewhere. I figured you guys might be able to point me to such sales and suggest games that my young son (and me) might enjoy.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #1183 of 1348 Old 01-18-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Train him well, get an original Wii and introduce him to the virtual console. Raise him on Megaman and NES Mario so he won't complain about challenging games.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #1184 of 1348 Old 01-18-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm a bit late to the game, but did any of you pursue all of the gold coins in New Super Mario Brothers U?

Beyond a couple of trouble levels I've yet to get all three stars on, it has been easy except for world 7 as I've gone back to collect missing stars I didn't see or couldn't get to on my original run through each level. I'm missing perhaps 15 gold coins right now and 10 or so of those are in World 7 with the remaining 5 spread across those two earlier levels. World 8 on the other hand was a breeze to 100% including all three my first time beating Bowser.

Curious if anyone else noticed a particular world that gave them issues seeking out all the gold coins on? I haven't done Superstar Road yet except level 1 which I earned 2 of the 3 stars on during my first try. But of the first 8 worlds, world 7 (Meringue Clouds) has definitely presented the most challenge on my way to 100%.
post #1185 of 1348 Old 01-19-2014, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Wondering if I'm first here on this thread to discover Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the unlockable VC edition of Super Luigi Bros in SM3DW

I assume this was unlockable and not available from the get go. My 6 yr old showed it to me.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #1186 of 1348 Old 01-19-2014, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

miiverse is pretty cool. I hope that nintendo doesn't go out of business. Some Ps4 are shocking people touching it and a lot of xbox one systems are still having major disc drive problems. At least Nintendo works doesn't shock you and doesn't have major disc drive problems. Wii backward compatibility is cool. I played pinball hall of fame the williams collection on my Wii U and Wii party U. both are pretty fun

Despite the doom & gloom in the press, Nintendo is still sitting on a reported $6-$10 billion in assets from DS/3DS/Wii. Even if Wii U totally tanks (which it has not yet), the big N will not crumble because of it.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #1187 of 1348 Old 01-19-2014, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I got all the gold coins in the normal worlds. Some definitely took me a few tries or required a lot of searching (particularly ghost houses) but nothing especially sticks out. I do remember World 7 being harder than World 8 in this regard though.

Full disclosure: One of those coins I only got through some multiplayer trickery with friends. At one point you need to get to near the end of a stage with star invincibility to walk over a couple tiers of indestructible black bitey plants. Instead I picked up a friend, ran onto the plants, got turned small from the hit but kept running during the invincibility window and tossed him forward right before I died. That gave him enough of a start to absorb a hit himself then grab the coin right before his own post-damage invincibility wore out. Meanwhile, it was my other friend's job merely to stand out of danger and stay alive so we could then finish the level. Cheating? Yeah, but still felt like we earned it due to it being a fairly clever solution and still requiring timing.

I gave up trying to get all the gold coins on star road though, as I pretty much hit my skill limit just finishing those boards. As I age, I've gotten much better at realizing when I'm no longer having fun and just stopping.
post #1188 of 1348 Old 01-19-2014, 11:19 AM

Liked: 26
I've played through most of the recent Mario platformers with my brother, and we do exactly the same thing. In fact, I'm fairly quick to say "I got this one" and jump to my death to grab a star coin. Yeah, that feels pretty 'cheaty' but it's a nice benefit of multiplayer and having lots o' lives. smile.gif Of course, when there's a non-dying solution we'll try that too (frequently involving jumping off each others' heads).
post #1189 of 1348 Old 01-19-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

I'm a bit late to the game, but did any of you pursue all of the gold coins in New Super Mario Brothers U?

Beyond a couple of trouble levels I've yet to get all three stars on, it has been easy except for world 7 as I've gone back to collect missing stars I didn't see or couldn't get to on my original run through each level. I'm missing perhaps 15 gold coins right now and 10 or so of those are in World 7 with the remaining 5 spread across those two earlier levels. World 8 on the other hand was a breeze to 100% including all three my first time beating Bowser.

Curious if anyone else noticed a particular world that gave them issues seeking out all the gold coins on? I haven't done Superstar Road yet except level 1 which I earned 2 of the 3 stars on during my first try. But of the first 8 worlds, world 7 (Meringue Clouds) has definitely presented the most challenge on my way to 100%.

I usually don't move on until I have the 3 coins in a level. NSMBU was fairly easy the whole way through, though the star road has a few challenging levels, and some that are so easy I wonder why they even bothered with them in the star world.

Quote:

I got all the gold coins in the normal worlds. Some definitely took me a few tries or required a lot of searching (particularly ghost houses) but nothing especially sticks out. I do remember World 7 being harder than World 8 in this regard though.

Full disclosure: One of those coins I only got through some multiplayer trickery with friends. At one point you need to get to near the end of a stage with star invincibility to walk over a couple tiers of indestructible black bitey plants. Instead I picked up a friend, ran onto the plants, got turned small from the hit but kept running during the invincibility window and tossed him forward right before I died. That gave him enough of a start to absorb a hit himself then grab the coin right before his own post-damage invincibility wore out. Meanwhile, it was my other friend's job merely to stand out of danger and stay alive so we could then finish the level. Cheating? Yeah, but still felt like we earned it due to it being a fairly clever solution and still requiring timing.
Warning: Spoiler for NSMBU! (Click to show)
On that particular level, I think it was the coaster in rock candy mines, you need to get the star, and be as quick as you can getting to the last ? box before the exit pipe. If you've still got the star, you'll get another star. Then the ? box after the pipe will also have a star, and you'll easily get the 3rd star coin.

Another way to 'multiplayer cheat' is to use boost mode. You play with a WiiMote/Pro controller and your friend uses the gamepad. They can place platforms anywhere on the screen, and I think help out in other ways (powerups maybe?).

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #1190 of 1348 Old 01-19-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I figured that was the trick to get the 3rd star coin on that level. I didn't see any other way that you could walk on all those chomping things and make it back to safety before dying.

That and the easy middle coin (I haven't gone back to it since successfully reaching the end goal on my 2nd try and sloppily missed the middle coin on that attempt) are 2 of my missing star coins.

Definitely one of the more memorable levels in this game. I've had a great time, but things just don't seem to stand out like many levels used to in a game like Super Mario World. It all kind of just blends together for the most part.
post #1191 of 1348 Old 01-19-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

frank yes get him a wi u. don't buy the skylander bundle it's only 8gb memory. get the deluxe model with nintendo land or super mario bundle. i have the zelda bundle. you have to download the zelda game from e shop free with code if you get that one. you can buy wii games cheap used and play them on wii u.
post #1192 of 1348 Old 01-19-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

i saw a few weeks ago frank at a kmart nintendoland bundle 280.00. sometimes stores are giving gift cards for buying it.
post #1193 of 1348 Old 01-20-2014, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I'm so surprised some people didn't like the camera in 3D World! It has about the least fussiest camera in a platformer that I can remember, at least IMO. Bringing this up made me remember Mario Sunshine, I think I spent half the game just adjusting the camera in that one...
post #1194 of 1348 Old 01-21-2014, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The only times I really remember messing with the camera in SM3DW is trying to find hidden areas with green stars or stamps.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1195 of 1348 Old 01-21-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I never had any camera issues with SM3DW.
post #1196 of 1348 Old 01-21-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I kinda didn't even realize you could even adjust the camera until sometime around World 4. The 2D-ish perspective meant I never really felt the need to.
post #1197 of 1348 Old 01-21-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 1375
Quote:

Yeah, I kinda didn't even realize you could even adjust the camera until sometime around World 4. The 2D-ish perspective meant I never really felt the need to.

I forget which level it was, but one of the ice worlds it was really difficult to judge a few jumps. It was a long drop and the camera was practically dead on, and it was real easy to miss because of the perspective.

Not a huge deal at all, but they really should have gone all the way and made the game 3D.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #1198 of 1348 Old 01-21-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

It is a little hard to judge jump distance sometimes, but that's been a problem in nearly all 3D platformers. Actually, part of the reason I like the Galaxy games so much is the spin move gives you just the perfect amount of course correction on a difficult-to-judge jump, negating the problem almost entirely. The waterpack in Sunshine is clearly an attempt to compensate for this as well, but that actually gives you a little too much leeway (except for the brutal obstacle course levels, of course).
post #1199 of 1348 Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 682
i don't know if there is any truth at all to this..
http://gaminrealm.com/2014/01/21/nintendo-next-gen-system-specs/
post #1200 of 1348 Old 01-21-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

i don't know if there is any truth at all to this..
http://gaminrealm.com/2014/01/21/nintendo-next-gen-system-specs/

Gonna call fake on this one. The handheld was semi realistic, but the console has too many issues with the parts for it to even be a prototype.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page