Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #1231 of 1366 Old 01-29-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Good 3rd party support might make or break it for me. I never went much beyond 1st party entries in Nintendo's core franchises like Zelda, classic gaming compilations, and the racing genre (Which was pitiful compared to that of the GBA) for the DS.

So I've missed out on a ton of stuff like the DS Castlevanias, the Ace Attorney series, etc. Many of which are getting fairly pricey to acquire in their original form these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I really can't think of a single DS game I would rebuy for Wii U. Now if they can merge the Virtual Console service and make them cross buy...

Going through my collection, I think I'd double dip for these (Although the classic gaming compilations I'd much prefer to see native Wii U releases).

-Atari Greatest Hits Volume 1
-Atari Greatest Hits Volume 2
-Intellivision Lives
-Konami Classics Series Arcade Hits
-Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
-Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
-Mario Kart DS
-New Super Mario Brothers
-Retro Game Challenge (And I'd happily buy the sequel if they released it)
-Super Mario 64 DS
-Yoshi's Island DS (Only if they provide the option to stack both screens)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1366 Old 02-02-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 713
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/31/nintendo-to-consider-mergers-and-acquisitions-iwata-says
post #1233 of 1366 Old 02-02-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557

Nintendo is entering the medical field, expect most of those mergers and acquisitions to be related to this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #1234 of 1366 Old 02-02-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

It's too bad but you're probably right.

There aren't many ideal possibilities, but I wish they'd try to buy Criterion Games if there's enough left of the company to make it worth bothering buying. If not, it appears likely it will be disappearing relatively soon with how EA is treating it now that it recently fell out of favor with management.

They'd be one of the few logical outside additions to Nintendo's portfolio if their freedom could be gained at a fair price. They've excelled in first person shooters (Black was great and should be an acclaimed franchise by now) and the racing genre, two areas where Nintendo lacks any sort of exclusives (Unless we count Mario Kart's very unconventional take on the genre). And they were able to make the Wii U purr to a much greater degree than most any other 3rd party has managed so far with Need for Speed.

When we take a look at developers and publishers that could perhaps be brought into the Nintendo fold and which would make a logical addition at a fair price, there aren't many good candidates. This would provide a chance, if Nintendo didn't tie their hands and properly reinvested in them to allow them to grow in their own direction, to eventually gain their own exclusives in the racing and first person shooter genres that so appeal to the general public.

Bizarre Creations would've been another great addition had Nintendo stepped up to the plate and saved them.
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #1235 of 1366 Old 02-03-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/3/5374252/nintendo-next-console-handheld-integrated-development-platform-satoru-iwata

If true, that points to an ARM-based architecture, cause x86 just ain't gonna work on a handheld. Which points heavily towards a low cost, low power platform.

Good news IMO, because if they're going to persist making consoles, they'd better make them cheap and familiar.
Leo_Ames likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #1236 of 1366 Old 02-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/3/5374252/nintendo-next-console-handheld-integrated-development-platform-satoru-iwata

If true, that points to an ARM-based architecture, cause x86 just ain't gonna work on a handheld. Which points heavily towards a low cost, low power platform.

Good news IMO, because if they're going to persist making consoles, they'd better make them cheap and familiar.

I read through the investor Q&A bits, and the idea is sound, but who knows what they can accomplish. I'm not really feeling the Amazon/Ouya type systems, but on the other hand Vita & VitaTV are VERY capable machines, and could easily handle what Nintendo usually delivers gaming-wise. Nothing to compete with XBONE or PS4, but wouldn't be a total write off in the current landscape.

I'd love to see their combo platform with a giant PS Now feature, a monthy service that has BC, cross buy, and a steady VC release schedule. They'd kill my wallet, but I'd buy that day one. And this may be just me, but I'd buy a home NintendoTV console (like VitaTV) that could also use my handheld as a second (primary?) controller. No use to buy extra peripherals, and I'd almost guarantee high adoption rates as most fans would buy both.

a snippet:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo 
...it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

He's also not committing to staying with 2 platforms, which, as a long time fan of Nintendo consoles, scares me a bit. Unless the device is a handheld/console hybrid, but they've said no to that a lot recently.
post #1237 of 1366 Old 02-03-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Following Apple's iOS formula might work for them because tight platform control is common to both company's DNA. The Android reference is superficially relevant, but in reality, there are too many forks in the Android OS and Nintendo would never give other software developers or hardware manufacturers free hand to innovate/modify/f$#& up the integration.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #1238 of 1366 Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 1401
I think ARM/PowerVR would work very well for them. In 2-3 years time, inexpensive ARM chips will be capable of at least what the WiiU can put out. Without having to reinvent the wheel with a completely custom architecture every time, they can just go with a relatively stock ARM SoC and put out a decent console for $149 or less. Then just take a subset of it, drop it in a handheld, and lower the resolution.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #1239 of 1366 Old 02-04-2014, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm curious about what their game media, if any, will be.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this in Fall 2015 since the 3DS will be nearly 5. Logically it would seem as if they're going to key their next generation timing off the successful current generation platform rather than the failure so they're not going to string the 3DS past its prime just to give an illusion of a normal lifespan for the Wii U before launching a replacement.

Physical media's hold on the market will still be strong at that point so I wonder if the handheld will go the PSP Go route where I think it's most viable in the near future while their console version will support the same digital downloads while offering an optical disc drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

He's also not committing to staying with 2 platforms, which, as a long time fan of Nintendo consoles, scares me a bit. Unless the device is a handheld/console hybrid, but they've said no to that a lot recently.

I don't think you have to worry about them staying in both.

I think he's suggesting that he's unsure if one device will handle both uses out of the box or if they will have two separate devices that share an underlying foundation along with the same software library in order to serve both segments of the marketplace.
post #1240 of 1366 Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Down to four levels left in New Super Luigi U on Superstar Road. Another hour or so at the most tonight if they're actually difficult and I'll have that 100%. Much shorter ride than NSMBU ended up being. Looks like it will clock out to about 16 hours to 100% where as I spent twice that in NSMBU.

Coming directly off the first, it was a much easier experience overall than the original even though things like the 90 second timer give an illusion at first that you're in for a very difficult challenge. Despite being experienced with this franchise and platformers in general, I thought I was in for a difficult time of it at first. But it never really ramps up in difficulty past world 1 like these games typically do.

These two aren't getting much appreciation, but I think that they're both fine games and the closest they've yet come to matching Super Mario Brothers 3 and Super Mario World with the NSMB franchise. Still not quite there, but I'm not sure at this point that they could ever overcome nostalgia even if they did.
post #1241 of 1366 Old 02-06-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I hope to get the Wii U mario and luigi package as soon as I know my status regarding a tv I have my eye on...
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #1242 of 1366 Old 02-13-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Nintendo Direct video later today. As I recall, it was about now a year ago when Wind Waker HD was announced and they announced what they coined as "The Year of Luigi". Perhaps we'll get some interesting news in between showing off projects like Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze that are due to release in the coming months.
post #1243 of 1366 Old 02-13-2014, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Nintendo Direct video later today. As I recall, it was about now a year ago when Wind Waker HD was announced and they announced what they coined as "The Year of Luigi". Perhaps we'll get some interesting news in between showing off projects like Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze that are due to release in the coming months.

It's at 5PM EST

US Stream: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/02-13-2014/

I expect we'll see a blurb about DS on WiiU VC, Nothing bankable, but a little coverage to follow up with that last investor's meeting announcement. PR is king right now.

As to games, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's New Island and Yoshi's Yarn thing, some MK and smash, Bayonetta 2, and MAYBE something new on Xenoblade X, but not much else... not to be negative, but I'm feeling like expecting ANYTHING more than just a couple of release dates confirmed and some gameplay footage we haven't seen before is setting up for disappointment. We know there's a lot in the pipe, but we also know that Ninty doesn't announce anything too early, they replay the highlight reels and say thanks...

If they do announce something 'new', I really hope it's MM 3DS or another HD Remake like F-Zero GX. We know now that they can whip through HD remakes in 6 months, so it's been long enough. Make with the new games or start pimpin' that mouth-watering back catalog already!

Heck, I'd buy a Wii U for a slew of GC remakes like F-zero, Metroid, Timesplitters , Rogue Squadron, Second Sight, Sunshine (maybe not, that game was only 50% for me)...
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #1244 of 1366 Old 02-13-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Give me Metroid Prime 1&2 in 1080p 60fps with options to control them like the Cube Originals, a new Dual Analog solution and the Wiimote aim all in one package. I would be quite content with that for some time.
Leo_Ames and TeflonSoul like this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1245 of 1366 Old 02-13-2014, 09:42 AM

I pretty much agree with VooDoo. I'm feeling like Nintendo won't reveal much. I at least think it will bring some action in this thread though...
post #1246 of 1366 Old 02-13-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not expecting anything, but something in the way of a surprise would at least give something positive to discuss even if just briefly. I think Nintendo should embrace your HD remaster idea after the success they enjoyed with Wind Waker HD and the success of similar releases on the competition. They're relatively easy, cheap, and don't even need to be handled in-house.

And don't forget Mario Kart 8. I'm not sure if that will get much air time later today, but it's due later in the spring. I suspect they will save more details for a future broadcast closer to release though even though Nintendo stated this is to discuss their lineup due before summer. But it very well might be one of the subjects covered today.

And a big surprise might not be such a bad idea right now. The doom and gloom is near universal and a constant anywhere that covers videogames. But revealing something like Zelda U right now or even something like a Super Mario Galaxy HD Collection would at least put a momentary hold on that subject if they handled its unveiling well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Give me Metroid Prime 1&2 in 1080p 60fps with options to control them like the Cube Originals, a new Dual Analog solution and the Wiimote aim all in one package. I would be quite content with that for some time.

I'd love to see that although I hope it would also include MP3. While MP3 never had gamepad control, it just followed the template of the earlier two so I don't see that as a daunting challenge to backdate it with optional gamepad control.
post #1247 of 1366 Old 02-13-2014, 01:00 PM

I think Mario Kart 8 is coming in May...
post #1248 of 1366 Old 02-13-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

That's still spring in my book.

After a disappointing string of 3DS titles, it looks like they showed off Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Super Smash Brothers 4, Child of Light, Monolith's new game, and Bayonetta 2 for retail Wii U games (The second half of this thing didn't stream well for me).

The two interesting Wii U bits for me are NES Remix 2 which will be available in April and features challenges based on the following games and a full Luigi themed adaptation of Super Mario Brothers. Really hope to see this paired with the original and released at retail later this year.

Ice Hockey
Wario’s Woods
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels)
Super Mario Bros. 3
Dr. Mario
Kirby’s Adventure
Kid Icarus
Punch-Out
Metroid
NES Open Tournament Golf

And GBA games coming to the Wii U Virtual Console in April. First titles will be Yoshi's Island (So much for the hope of Super FX titles making their way out this generation), Metroid Fusion, and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga.

Kind of thought we'd at least get another HD remastering project announced today.
post #1249 of 1366 Old 02-13-2014, 02:58 PM

So it was pretty much what u expected?...
post #1250 of 1366 Old 02-13-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Pretty much

A big surprise is always nice, but they definitely fulfilled their stated intentions of showing off upcoming spring releases.
post #1251 of 1366 Old 02-13-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Gotta wait until my internet is installed to watch that X trailer, less than 20MB until I hit my phone's data cap.

No GBA on 3DS is a huge disappointment. I don't care one bit about having them on Wii U if they aren't also cross buy.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1252 of 1366 Old 02-13-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I watched the X trailer. Don't get your hopes up. I mean, it still looks great, but it's not so much a trailer as 3 minutes of uninterrupted gameplay. And as fun as the combat in Xenoblade Chronicles was, it's not super exciting to watch.

I just wish they'd answer questions about what kind of game it is specifically. I hope it's not too much of an MMORPG, where you always have to assemble parties of other players. But in the new trailer, the other party members are simply named "Player 2," "Player 3," etc.
post #1253 of 1366 Old 02-14-2014, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Same here - the stream was completely unwatchable for me, I got every 5th word... but I rewatched it this morning and... pretty much exactly what I expected, sadly. Needed more surprises, more oomph, pizazz, more... well, anything. More than just Steel Diver: Sub Wars F2P! (Just two levels. Please understand)

I'm happy to see GBA games cough*Ambassador had GBA in 2011, thanks*cough, and I'm thrilled they put an emphasis on getting the eShop modernized to 2010, but even X, which I expect to be awesome, just kinda looked like an HD Xenoblade gameplay vid from dolphin.

HD remakes aren't the savior here, but unless a giant back catalog of awesome retro games and HD remakes starts to show up, there's nothing new coming. At least nothing that I haven't already played before, and still own for Wii. I hate to say it, but I'd prefer Wii U becomes a retro VC powerhouse- especially rather than wait 3-4 months between games. I may already have the NES/SNES/GBA/N64 version, but start pushing 6-10 new VC titles a month or something massive, and I'll start to ignore the droughts. I'd love to see new games pick up, but that $350 plus $60 per game is a hard, hard sell, and there's nothing new coming vs what I already played on Wii. Basically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PGNiXGX2nLU#t=61
post #1254 of 1366 Old 02-14-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

GBA games coming to the Wii U Virtual Console in April. First titles will be Yoshi's Island (So much for the hope of Super FX titles making their way out this generation)...

Japan not only got 12 GBA releases confirmed yesterday to our 3 (Continuing that long standing tradition of our service paling compared to Japan's), but one of them is Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World. That's a game which was already available on the service in its original form. So maybe Yoshi's Land's GBA release isn't a sign that door is necessarily closed if they're also releasing this in two forms.

All the Advance release amounts to is the SuperNes game with a cropped screen area to account for the changed aspect ratio, lightened up graphics to account for the earlier non lit screens of the original GBA, added voice effects for Mario, downgraded audio due to the GBA's weaker audio capabilities, and the Dragon coins are now collectible rather than something that only contributes to your score (And there's a new status screen that tracks that and all exits you've reached).

So it's hardly an enhanced release and at best is only comparable when you take into account the disadvantages with the advantages compared to the original. So that it's coming out means that there's still some hope here for the original and superior Yoshi's Island release (And Star Fox, Star Fox 2, and Stunt Race FX which all similarly require Nintendo emulating the Super FX chip before being able to even be considered for a VC release).
post #1255 of 1366 Old 02-14-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

The GBA sound system is not weaker than the SNES. It is just much harder to use. (Think Cell processor) I made a topic here about what a modder managed to do with the FF6 soundtrack using the GBA's sound processing.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1256 of 1366 Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Ease of use can also be a weakness if it's difficult to push to its full potential.

All I know is that virtually every one of the many SuperNes ports I've played on the GBA had noticeably inferior audio especially when using headphones or when played on a tv and that it's commonly cited as a weak link in the system. Heck, it's my understanding that the GBA doesn't even have dedicated audio components but rather that you have to use the main processor or even tap into the Z80 for audio duties. Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World is one such game where it's noticeably worse off than on the Super Nintendo.

Give me that Sony chip dedicated to the audio side on the SuperNes any day.
post #1257 of 1366 Old 02-14-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Give the video in this topic a listen, you may change your mind about the GBA.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512182/final-fantasy-vi-advance-music-restoration#post_24217386

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1258 of 1366 Old 02-14-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

You're reading too much into what I said. The GBA is my favorite handheld and I think its audio is just fine so there's really no need to leap to its defense. Even the original music in that YouTube link for Final Fantasy sounds quite acceptable on its own merits despite the apparently vast room for improvement.

But regardless of the reasons, there's a common divide between the two that is noticeable in the audio department. Several bits of music in Super Mario World which I was specifically mentioning due to seeing two different versions be released on the Japanese Virtual Console almost barely resemble their original self due to the difficulty in adapting the original music to the GBA. The map music in the Valley of Bowser is one such notable bit where it translated very poorly and that was a major 1st party release for the GBA.

It's a common result for whatever reason.
post #1259 of 1366 Old 02-14-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, the guy who made the mod explained all the work that went into it. (He also did it for FF5, and learned a lot from it) It is no wonder so few devs actually tried with the GBA, especially when it only had a crappy mono speaker built in. Most games did sound like crap, but this modder has proven that it was lazy devs, not system limitations that caused it.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1260 of 1366 Old 02-14-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

NES Remix 1 & 2 is getting a retail release. Only seems official for Japan just yet, but it looks like the waiting game might've paid off.
Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page