9Likes

post #1261 of 1323 Old 02-15-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41

New Project X trailer @ 35 minute mark.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/222504-best-buy-offering-20-off-on-nintendo-eshop-cards-kicks-off-february-23

20% off eShop cards at Best Buy starting feb 23rd.
darthrsg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1323 Old 02-17-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I never place much stock in what IGN writes, but this bit in their new Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze review surprises me.

"Tropical Freeze gives us 13 hours’ worth of lush jungles and exotic islands to explore."

I wonder if that's just until they first see the end credits roll? I was hoping for something with a bit more meat than that. New Super Mario Brothers U at about 30 hours seemed the perfect length for a contemporary $60 2D console platformer. Not too short yet it doesn't drag itself out either.

I hope that someone that wants to see every level and go after 100% that it's a much longer experience. Next to Mario Kart 8, there isn't anything else on the calendar at this time for 2014 that I'm looking forward to (Of course with just two games finished after just a few months of ownership, I have a lot of earlier releases yet to be played so I won't be lacking for new games).
post #1263 of 1323 Old 02-17-2014, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
If it's as hard as the original DKCR on Wii, I have a hard time thinking you could 100% it in just 13 hours.
post #1264 of 1323 Old 02-25-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Wii U can be found for under $100 at some Sams Clubs. YMMV.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/327532-zelda-wii-u-bundle-9871-sams-clubymmv/

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #1265 of 1323 Old 02-26-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 636
called all the sams club in my area.. not one of them have any wiiU... that was the price i would buy a wiiU at... just didn't think it would be this early..
post #1266 of 1323 Old 02-26-2014, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

If it's as hard as the original DKCR on Wii, I have a hard time thinking you could 100% it in just 13 hours.
This is my first real play through of a DK game so I can't compare it to anything in the past. Having said that, I felt fairly humbled yesterday having died numerous times on just the third level of Tropical Freeze. The physics and timing are taking some getting used to.
post #1267 of 1323 Old 02-26-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Wii U can be found for under $100 at some Sams Clubs. YMMV.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/327532-zelda-wii-u-bundle-9871-sams-clubymmv/

Man, that is an incredible deal for those who find that. I'd love to have a Wii U to go along my PS4 for some of those awesome looking Nintendo exclusives.
post #1268 of 1323 Old 02-26-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

This is my first real play through of a DK game so I can't compare it to anything in the past. Having said that, I felt fairly humbled yesterday having died numerous times on just the third level of Tropical Freeze. The physics and timing are taking some getting used to.
Yeah, I haven't played Tropical Freeze yet, but DKCR Wii was fairly unforgiving by modern standards, so don't feel bad!
post #1269 of 1323 Old 03-01-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Some sort of stability update today for the Wii U.

When a system update popped up, I was hoping it enabled the ability of Wii U controllers to substitute as Wii Classic Controllers. But no such luck. frown.gif
post #1270 of 1323 Old 03-01-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

A major hack that was in the works got leaked, Nintendo may be trying to patch it ahead of time. It is unlikely to work however since it is similar to the Wii hacks that were never patched.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1271 of 1323 Old 03-01-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

That doesn't sound good so I hope nothing comes of it. The last thing the Wii U needs at this time is to be cracked wide open.

I love when that happens but only when the commercial life of a system has ended. Then, it hopefully opens up possibilities for things like homebrew development, emulation, an expansion of its media capabilities, allowing discs to be ripped to an external drive and played to save wear & tear, opening an avenue to restore DLC in the event of a hardware failure, assisting importing via lifting region restrictions, etc.

I wish modders would restrict their work to Wii mode at this time.
post #1272 of 1323 Old 03-01-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

It was the same exploit that failoverflow teased a few months back. (Once again someone took their work and went public over it) It is full hardware access to the Wii U side using an exploit discovered in the legacy Wii mode.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1273 of 1323 Old 03-03-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

up until this point i haven't really been worried about N, but the comments being made by N really make me wonder if they are taking the company in the wrong direction. Obviously i don't know what they have planned, but i just don't see how all the focus on "quality of life" is going to result in a great console. I just don't get it...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/03/nintendo-reiterates-commitment-to-creating-consoles?abthid=53145eb31860c4030c000006

"As the business environment around us has shifted with the times, we have decided to redefine entertainment as something that improves people's quality of life ('QOL') in enjoyable ways and expand our business areas," he writes. "What Nintendo will try to achieve in the next 10 years is a platform business that improves people's QOL in enjoyable ways.

"We believe that we can capitalize the most on our strengths through a hardware-software integrated platform business, and therefore this type of dedicated video game platforms will remain our core focus.

"With a platform business that improves people's QOL in enjoyable ways, we will attempt to establish a new business area apart from our dedicated video game business. We have set 'health' as the theme for our first step and we will try to use our strength as an entertainment company to create unique approaches that expand this business."
post #1274 of 1323 Old 03-03-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think we have to worry. They either find a worthy way to complement their core business or if they actually start to forsake the reasons why we're here in the first place in order to focus on this initiative, at worst, it just hastens their departure to the 3rd party realm.

I almost tend to think that they're just using this strategically to allay concerns at a time when confidence in their core business has shaken and once they've hopefully started to right the ship, this will quickly be forgotten or end up just being a mere evolution and expansion of Wii Fit for one of their gaming systems instead of something far more ambitious that reinvents the company.

Nothing kills diversification quicker than getting your core business back on track. They have to appear to be leveraging their assets in non-traditional ways if they want to appease their shareholders and buy time for a recovery of their main focus.
post #1275 of 1323 Old 03-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Yeah, I haven't played Tropical Freeze yet, but DKCR Wii was fairly unforgiving by modern standards, so don't feel bad!

Oh it's tough. I'd say some parts are as difficult or moreso than DKC Returns. It will take much more than 13 hours for me to beat (and MUCH more than that to 100%) but it's a game best enjoyed piece by piece taking your time. I've been playing a world a day, I think I'm on World 4 or 5 now. I think I'd break my controller and maybe my system if I ever sat down and tried to beat this in one day. But taken at a leisurely pace there is a lot less teeth gritting and more time to smile at the cleverness of the game design. Quality through and through.

post #1276 of 1323 Old 03-07-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

So, some new info on Need for Speed Most Wanted's late Wii U release and just what went down. It is pretty screwed up...

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=781046

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1277 of 1323 Old 03-08-2014, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Too bad that Nintendo didn't contribute some marketing muscle. In hindsight, I imagine they regret not going the extra mile to please Activision, Ubisoft, and Electronic Arts early on.

EA really missed the boat with Criterion's fine effort. Not sure I agree with them ignoring Nintendo though if they're going the digital indie route. I think Nintendo erred, but ultimately it was primarily EA's fault here, not Nintendo's. This title wasn't marketed by the publisher like it should've been and didn't launch with the system like it should've done.

They needed to invest some of their marketing muscle behind it and since it was coming out months later, it had no business launching at $60 instead of ~$40 and not including all DLC offerings out of the box and on the disc. Ultimately, EA got the treatment they deserved as its publisher with this release. Months late, $60 MSRP, and no marketing is obviously going to result in the kiss of death for a multiplatform release.

It's just a shame that Criterion's fine work will likely end up as the best Wii U release that nobody played when all is said and done.
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #1278 of 1323 Old 03-08-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I already have way too many games being neglected, but I have to admit that as the price for a Wii U continues to drop, it does get more and more tempting.

The Nintendo Store, for example, has a refurb deluxe console for $200 and I've definitely thought hard about that one...

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=212209&currency=USD&catalogId=10001&tranId=0&lastAction=setCurr&storeId=10001&languageId=-1&categoryId=70706&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #1279 of 1323 Old 03-10-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Too bad that Nintendo didn't contribute some marketing muscle. In hindsight, I imagine they regret not going the extra mile to please Activision, Ubisoft, and Electronic Arts early on.

EA really missed the boat with Criterion's fine effort. Not sure I agree with them ignoring Nintendo though if they're going the digital indie route. I think Nintendo erred, but ultimately it was primarily EA's fault here, not Nintendo's. This title wasn't marketed by the publisher like it should've been and didn't launch with the system like it should've done.

They needed to invest some of their marketing muscle behind it and since it was coming out months later, it had no business launching at $60 instead of ~$40 and not including all DLC offerings out of the box and on the disc. Ultimately, EA got the treatment they deserved as its publisher with this release. Months late, $60 MSRP, and no marketing is obviously going to result in the kiss of death for a multiplatform release.

It's just a shame that Criterion's fine work will likely end up as the best Wii U release that nobody played when all is said and done.

N has to take a lot of the blame, if you read the article someone posted a couple of pages back about emailing N and not getting responses for weeks and being told things like "don't reference PSN or Live because we are nott familiar with it" is unacceptable.. EA wants to sell games, all we have seen, heard, etc.. from N they aren't really interested in supporting 3rd party (regardless of what they say in press conferences..)
post #1280 of 1323 Old 03-10-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm talking strictly about Need for Speed U's lack of marketing. Someone would have to be ignorant or blind to not see that Nintendo has screwed up in a multitude of ways when we're talking in generalities.

But ultimately, the primary party responsible for marketing a game is its own publisher. Sure, Nintendo screwed up by not maximizing their rather limited opportunity here with this belated release, but it's hardly the platform holders responsibility to get the word out about a 3rd party's release. EA is far more guilty here and essentially tied both arms behind Criterion's back with this game.

It was their job more than anyone else's to give Criterion's effort the best chance it could and they gave zero support, released it many months later than the other versions, didn't include all the DLC, and put a $60 price tag on the entire affair when you could easily find the 360/PS3 version new for $40 and under.

Nintendo might've not pulled the knife out of Criterion's back, but it's EA that put it there.
post #1281 of 1323 Old 03-26-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 526
gamermwm likes this.
post #1282 of 1323 Old 05-05-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been slowly playing through 3D World with a couple friends, and we finally reached Champion's Road yesterday. Good lord, is this even beatable? We went into the level with 150 lives and expended all of them in about half an hour without ever getting through one-fourth of the level. Part of me really likes that Nintendo puts in these super-hard last levels as sort of a bonus to hardcore fans in recent Mario games, but I think, much like the final star in Galaxy 2, I have reached my skill limit.
post #1283 of 1323 Old 05-05-2014, 07:00 PM

Liked: 26
Yeah, the last world was crazy. The last level was insane. My brother and I eventually beat them all, but probably used 500+ lives (300+ on the last level alone). Peach / Rosalina are essential if you're looking for extremely hard difficulty only. Mind-blowingly difficult? Go with Toad.

I've yet to get the last star in Mario Galaxy 2 unassisted. Did it with a helper, but that doesn't really count (in my book).
post #1284 of 1323 Old 05-08-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know of a deal on Mario Kart 8? I was going to wait and work on more of my large backlog of last gen games before acquiring something new on the Wii U, but this free digital game promotion they're running has changed my mind.

In an entertaining note, I've been chastised today at a forum I'll never return to for using the term "gamepad" in a general sense. Apparently I missed the memo that states that term now specifically is in reference only to the Wii U's controller and that all these console controllers since 1985 weren't actually gamepads.

Nintendo makes some amazing games, but their most dedicated fans are some of the most bizarre individuals I've ever had the misfortune of reading anything from.
post #1285 of 1323 Old 05-09-2014, 05:10 AM

Liked: 11
I don't consider the tablet a gamepad - I always call it a tablet/tablet controller. Agree on the "classics" being gamepads.

On MK 8, do Nintendo branded games ever have deals? I know it takes FOREVER for first-party titles to drop in price, especially Mario games. The free digital title is pretty good incentive, imo.

I have never failed. I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
post #1286 of 1323 Old 05-09-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Dell had a promo running that offered a free $25 gift card with your preorder of MK8, but I think that just expired. I wouldn't cry too much since I'm not sure how much else you'd find to buy on Dell, and I think the GC expired after 90 days.

Otherwise, the only current deal I've seen is the weird Best Buy one that offers a voucher for $10 of free gasoline with your preorder: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/mario-kart-8-121399

As for the "gamepad" thing, I don't think I ever used that term before the Wii U, to be honest. But obviously getting bent out of shape about it is just about the dumbest thing ever.
post #1287 of 1323 Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 PM

Liked: 26
Newegg had a $10 off preorder last fall (I got mine ordered in October), and they were offering a $5 gift card as recently as a week ago I think. I don't know of any current deals though. Probably best to monitor cheapassgamer since they usually post deals fairly quickly (they have an RSS feed).
post #1288 of 1323 Old 05-14-2014, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Anyone still looking for a Wii U? Daily Deal today is the Skylanders Swap Force Wii U bundle for $199.99 shipped. Only 8GB model, but for $199 WITH the game, portal and 3 figures... that's not bad at all

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Wii-U-Skylanders-SWAP-Force-Starter-Pack-Limited-Edition-Bundle/171328532281?customid=33f750a869584490a485a75f70f3608b&pub=5574652453&afepn=5337259887&campid=5337259887&afepn=5337259887

DaverJ likes this.
post #1289 of 1323 Old 05-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Just snagged a refurb Wii U from Nintendo for $199 for those interested. It's the 32gb model with Nintendoland.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod150200
post #1290 of 1323 Old 05-29-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

This is interesting, Nintendo showed off a GameCube controller adapter for the Wii U today.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/29/gamecube-controller-adapter-announced-for-wii-u

If it's not too limited in use (I imagine Classic Controller support is out, but hopefully it's recognized as a Wii U Pro Controller for maximum usefulness), count me in. Just hope that it works with the Wavebird.
Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page