Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #1291 of 1442 Old 05-29-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 195
FYI, I only played it on the PC but Ittle Dew is a great game.

A little short but I really loved it.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1442 Old 06-20-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
After updating the latest software (which includes the Quick Start Menu), the WiiU now has an annoying habit.

When it's powered off and sitting in the charging tray, it makes an annoying "clack" sound every minute or two. It's not very loud, but gets on my nerves. I turned off all the new features, but it didn't stop the noise. I even turned off the Quick Start Menu, because I don't see much advantage to it. It doesn't seem any quicker than booting to the main menu and choosing a game from there.

Has anyone found a solution to it?
post #1293 of 1442 Old 06-23-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
After updating the latest software (which includes the Quick Start Menu), the WiiU now has an annoying habit.

When it's powered off and sitting in the charging tray, it makes an annoying "clack" sound every minute or two. It's not very loud, but gets on my nerves. I turned off all the new features, but it didn't stop the noise. I even turned off the Quick Start Menu, because I don't see much advantage to it. It doesn't seem any quicker than booting to the main menu and choosing a game from there.

Has anyone found a solution to it?
Wish I could help, but I haven't heard or seen any oddities since the update. I love the quick menu, however.
post #1294 of 1442 Old 06-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Welp, guess I can join you guys here now. My Wii U just showed up about an hour ago, doing the long system update right now.
dbburns, DaverJ, darthrsg and 1 others like this.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #1295 of 1442 Old 06-27-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by marafice eye View Post
welp, guess i can join you guys here now. My wii u just showed up about an hour ago, doing the long system update right now.
shovel knight
|Tch0rT| likes this.
post #1296 of 1442 Old 06-27-2014, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
shovel knight
Playing MK8 right now. May eventually get to that but for me, anything multi-platform I get on PC generally

NNID is MaraficeEye btw

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #1297 of 1442 Old 06-27-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post
Playing MK8 right now. May eventually get to that but for me, anything multi-platform I get on PC generally

NNID is MaraficeEye btw
You're the reason Nintendo is doomed.
post #1298 of 1442 Old 06-28-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 211
How do you figure that? I don't know his reasons, but I'd pretty much do the same for a download like this because of Nintendo's restrictive lock to the hardware that bought it DRM scheme. Nintendo is failing me by not having an account based system, not the other way around.

I pretty much stick with exclusives and the Virtual Console. Only a few pre XB1/PS4 multiplatform purchases for me on this system so far and all were retail releases. I don't own either of them yet, but I'm now holding off buying anything for the 360/PS3/Wii U if a PS4/XB1 version with superior visuals is available.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 06-30-2014 at 01:59 AM.
post #1299 of 1442 Old 06-29-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
Nintendo is failing me by not having an account based system, not the other way around.
I feel the exact same way. I'd be buying way more virtual console stuff if they made the simple decision to allow playing it on Wii / Wii U / 3DS as well as multiple Wii Us / 3DSs / etc. Sony just does it right here, and although I absolutely love Nintendo games, they've alienated me, a long-time fan, by the lack of simple account management.

As it is, I stick to emulators for most of the old stuff. If / when they change their stance on rebuying across multiple systems I'll reconsider, but for now I'm not getting nickel and dimed over 20 year old games.
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #1300 of 1442 Old 07-20-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Fatal Frame U trailer

post #1301 of 1442 Old 07-20-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I like.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #1302 of 1442 Old 07-21-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Let's hope they actually localize this one.
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #1303 of 1442 Old 07-21-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

post #1304 of 1442 Old 07-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Any of you guys/gals do the platinum elite rewards stuff?
Yeah I just went to check my status and bam, "You've reached Platinum!" now to choose a free game...

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #1305 of 1442 Old 07-21-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I just went to check my status and bam, "You've reached Platinum!" now to choose a free game...
I forgot about the digital deluxe thing and had 25 bones in my account once I actually looked at it. There's a ton of great stuff on the little old Wii U.
post #1306 of 1442 Old 07-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Can't decide what game to get. Nothing I'm really interested in on 3DS, so I'm looking at Wii U. Maybe Game and Wario, or some classic Earthbound

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #1307 of 1442 Old 07-21-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I reached platinum status. I'll probably go with NES Remix but I'm going to wait it out until the deadline is a bit closer just in case a retail compilation of both is announced before the August deadline.

If that happens, I'll likely go with Donkey Kong Country Returns for the 3DS since I wouldn't buy it otherwise due to owning the Wii original.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 07-21-2014 at 04:24 PM.
post #1308 of 1442 Old 07-21-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I reached platinum status. I'll probably go with NES Remix but I'm going to wait it out until the deadline is a bit closer just in case a retail compilation of both is announced before the August deadline.

If that happens, I'll likely go with Donkey Kong Country Returns for the 3DS since I wouldn't buy it otherwise due to owning the Wii original.
I think I need a 3DS.

I went with Game and Wario as I already had NES Remix which is fantastic BTW.
post #1309 of 1442 Old 07-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

The 3DS has some great games. I ended up snagging Earthbound, such a good classic

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
post #1310 of 1442 Old 07-21-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The 3DS has some great games. I ended up snagging Earthbound, such a good classic
It's too classic for me. I never liked the battle system but still to this day NEED/WANT an RPG set in regular space.
post #1311 of 1442 Old 07-22-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

There's a new Wii U system update.

It allows users to transfer data from one Wii U console to another. Not sure of all the particulars like just what's transferred (One concern that immediately leaps to mind is your Wii mode data), if your Wii U that your data presently resides on has to be operable in order to transfer your content licenses (I can just about guarantee it has to be which makes this feature rather moot for many cases where it could be beneficial), etc.

The other notable change is that the Wii U eShop can now be navigated using the Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller or Wii Classic Controller.
gamermwm likes this.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 07-22-2014 at 07:13 PM.
post #1312 of 1442 Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Any of you guys/gals do the platinum elite rewards stuff?
I do, but I only reached Gold this year and none of the rewards on that level interest me. I think I already own most of them in some form or another, and the rest just don't appeal to me. At Platinum, I'd probably opt for Game & Wario or Earthbound, but in general none of them are terribly exciting to me. A $10 game download doesn't seem like much payoff for diligently registering games/filling out surveys all year.

I'm a little annoyed in general that the rewards this year are just game downloads instead of an exclusive physical item. I never bothered registering probably about 300-400 points' worth of games last year, and I guess I'm glad I didn't.
post #1313 of 1442 Old 07-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
The other notable change is that the Wii U eShop can now be navigated using the Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller or Wii Classic Controller.
About time. How about some lossless audio on Netflix now. Why include HD video streaming options if you're only going to give half the proper experience

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #1314 of 1442 Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
About time. How about some lossless audio on Netflix now. Why include HD video streaming options if you're only going to give half the proper experience
I don't use Netflix or any streaming service but I don't think any of them support lossless audio. Also Nintendo didn't pay the licensing for Dolby Digital or DTS and their lossless versions so your unlikely to ever see surround sound on the Wii U outside of games. Besides your unlikely to hear any differences between DD, DTS vs their lossless versions anyway. Also Netflix is for convenience not a "proper experience", if you want a proper experience watch the Blu-ray.
Leo_Ames likes this.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Last edited by |Tch0rT|; 07-22-2014 at 06:48 PM.
post #1315 of 1442 Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 176
You can definitely hear a difference between DTS or DD versus lossless. If you were taking about DD plus or the DTS version I might agree. There is a major difference from basic to lossless.
post #1316 of 1442 Old 07-22-2014, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post
You can definitely hear a difference between DTS or DD versus lossless. If you were taking about DD plus or the DTS version I might agree. There is a major difference from basic to lossless.
Exactly

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #1317 of 1442 Old 07-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
I don't use Netflix or any streaming service but I don't think any of them support lossless audio. Also Nintendo didn't pay the licensing for Dolby Digital or DTS and their lossless versions so your unlikely to ever see surround sound on the Wii U outside of games. Besides your unlikely to hear any differences between DD, DTS vs their lossless versions anyway. Also Netflix is for convenience not a "proper experience", if you want a proper experience watch the Blu-ray.
A lot of people want the best quality streaming experience possible (not talking about discs obviously, nor was I) which Netflix knows and is why they made Super HD (the highest 1080p bitrate video stream) available, AND which is why they also provide 4K content now. They know the end user wants the best and highest quality streaming experience possible

And I'm not trying to argue about different sound formats i.e. lossless vs DD plus, I'm just pointing out that of the three next gen consoles - the one area the Wii U should not lag behind is in the functionality of Netflix and other streaming apps, the end audio user experience should be on par

If you're happy with a subpar experience, more power to you but don't be surprised that others are not especially on AVS forum. If this were gamefaqs then I would expect that viewpoint

www.iamsecond.com/films

Last edited by gamermwm; 07-22-2014 at 10:56 PM.
post #1318 of 1442 Old 07-22-2014, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Wow dude chill, I was just explaining why you'll NEVER get a surround sound option in Netflix for the Wii U. It's not some simple update they can do, there's lots of legal and technical issues people don't consider that get in the way.

If you want your fancy Netflix options you shouldn't be looking at a Wii U for that. There's plenty of other cheaper devices for that. The Wii U would've been more expensive if they paid for the DD and DTS license, which has always been a critical point for Nintendo. Nintendo didn't include those options to keep the price down and they probably considered that people already has a blu-ray player if they want surround sound. Same reason why the Wii didn't double as a DVD player... Nintendo has been about the games first not extra crap that every console wants to be these days. I don't want my consoles to play videos or music, I want them to play video games, that's it.

I don't know where you're getting this subpar experience from but I wouldn't consider anything streaming option even if it's 4k (the Sony 4K device doesn't count because it downloads the movie for later use) to be on par with a disc equivalent, at least not until much faster internet options become available to more people. I built my system around audio and video quality and I don't use streamed options unless that's the only way I can get the content I want, if not it's blu-ray all the way.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Last edited by |Tch0rT|; 07-22-2014 at 11:09 PM.
post #1319 of 1442 Old 07-22-2014, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

While I do respect your opinion and I agree that on disc content will always *technically* be superior...I can't disagree with you more on this: It was a cheap move not paying the licence for Dolby etc. and that's all it was. They still have the option to pay for the license but they are unlikely to I know

I just found it odd that you yourself mentioned how you don't even have Netflix or stream any content and yet you were basically putting yourself into position to say I should just be satisfied with the user experience AS IS and I'm clearly not

I do love my Wii U, but this is one thing I'm looking forward to when I ultimately purchase a PS4. Is it a HUGE issue for me right now? No not really, I'll just get another device that does streaming right. It's just really annoying to me and it's more about the principal of including a half arsed Netflix vs getting it right. There are a lot of people with Wii U's that simply won't use Netflix on it for the reason stated, it's not just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

I don't know where you're getting this subpar experience from but I wouldn't consider anything streaming option even if it's 4k (the Sony 4K device doesn't count because it downloads the movie for later use) to be on par with a disc equivalent, at least not until much faster internet options become available to more people. I built my system around audio and video quality and I don't use streamed options unless that's the only way I can get the content I want, if not it's blu-ray all the way.

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #1320 of 1442 Old 07-22-2014, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
I just found it odd that you yourself mentioned how you don't even have Netflix or stream any content and yet you were basically putting yourself into position to say I should just be satisfied with the user experience AS IS and I'm clearly not
Sorry I didn't mean to imply that you should be happy with the way it is. You have every right to not be as a consumer. I was just trying to explain why it doesn't and why it's unlikely ever to get those options. I know you're not the only one that wishes Nintendo hadn't cheapened out that way with the Wii U. Write Nintendo, while it probably won't do any good for the current console it may make Nintendo reconsider for their next one if they get enough people to voice their opinions. I suppose Netflix could output surround as LPCM but there would have to be some conversion going on and that probably gets into legal problems due to licensing. Nintendo has shown ever since the advent of CD-ROMs and they're unwilling to compete with their competitors on a technical level. Yeah it's frustrating for us techies but it is what it is and as personally I'm happy as long as they keep outputting sweet games...
gamermwm likes this.

Last edited by |Tch0rT|; 07-23-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page