Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #1381 of 1390 Old 10-13-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 207
The trailer for the Wii Rogue Squadron project has now appeared.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/...-footage-found

I guess it was just a remake of the latter two (Although their initial Xbox plans, which this was based on, was to remake all three), which softens the blow a bit.

The GameCube games still look pretty nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post
That sucks that you've been having such a ridiculous experience. Especially unfortunate since it's rare to hear anything but good things about Nintendo's customer service, I hope this is a fluke and not the result of cutbacks or something.

I still haven't opened it, but all will be forgiven on my end if my Wii U is in there, in good shape, with the problem corrected and my data intact.

I thought this would be a much smoother process with their reputation. But as soon as I went to their support page, I was worried it wouldn't go very smoothly. And it didn't, outside the call to their support center (Which went quickly and without any fuss).

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 10-13-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1390 Old 10-14-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Opened my Wii U and set it up tonight.

Everything seems fine, although I didn't get my original console back, just my gamepad. The Nintendo rep assured me that they'd repair and return it and I thought they were doing just that since they took much longer than the range quoted on their site to get it back to me. I don't get it if I just got someone else's repaired console back in return why it had to take so much longer compared to the norm.

But the funny part is I live three hours away from Syracuse NY where the service center is located that handled it. Three pieces of paper were returned with it and it was all in Spanish.

lol

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 10-14-2014 at 09:45 PM.
post #1383 of 1390 Old 10-15-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Downloaded the Bayonetta demo. Seems appealingly over-the-top and looks gorgeous, but I think it's not quite for me. I'm generally not a huge fan of the style of gameplay where you press a few buttons and a million complicated animations happen, and then you need to do that a few times for each enemy because they take a billion hits. I've enjoyed other Platinum games, but I'll probably wait for a price drop for this one, especially with Smash Wii U out so soon.
post #1384 of 1390 Old 10-16-2014, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
sir Leo, welcome back to the familly lol...
post #1385 of 1390 Old 10-21-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't care about Super Smash Brothers, but I like the looks of the upcoming Hori Battle Pad that will function as a Wii Classic Controller.

I've been missing my Wavebird in my transferred Wii Virtual Console N64 downloads, Mario Kart Wii, and a few other games. Plus that turbo function should come in handy.

The only thing I'd change, going off this picture, is having the C stick match the primary left stick like PDP is doing with their similar effort (Which looks cheap by comparison).

And I'd like a generic black version rather than the Fisher Price styling.
TeflonSoul and gamermwm like this.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 10-21-2014 at 06:04 PM.
post #1386 of 1390 Old 10-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
I don't care about Super Smash Brothers, but I like the looks of the upcoming Hori Battle Pad that will function as a Wii Classic Controller.

I've been missing my Wavebird in my transferred Wii Virtual Console N64 downloads, Mario Kart Wii, and a few other games. Plus that turbo function should come in handy.

The only thing I'd change, going off this picture, is having the C stick match the primary left stick like PDP is doing with their similar effort (Which looks cheap by comparison).

And I'd like a generic black version rather than the Fisher Price styling.
Yeah that looks really nice. And it's (basically) wireless compared to being tethered to the console with the official Gamecube Smash controller they are releasing with the game. For $25 not bad. I'll probably get it for Smash Wii U, and as you said it would be nice for other games as well

http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Battle-Ma.../dp/B00ND0E5ZU

Officially licensed by Nintendo
Perfect for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Features short stroke L and R buttons, 3 Turbo settings, and a large D-pad
Similar in shape and function as the original Nintendo GameCube controller
Compatible with Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro supported titles and most Nintendo Virtual Console titles

Now I just need an N64 model controller like this so I can play Star Fox 64 like I remember back in the good old days

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #1387 of 1390 Old 10-21-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

You know, I never quite got the love for the GC controller. I mean, ultimately I was fine with it, and it was shaped very comfortably. But the D-pad was so small and oddly placed it was basically useless, the spongy shoulder buttons never felt right to me, the C-stick should've been shaped like a regular analog stick, and I'd argue the odd face button layout hurt at least as often as it helped. Basically my fondest memory of it is the Wavebird's insane battery life.

Now the admittedly monstrous-looking N64 controller, that was my jam. Ugly, sure, but good button layout/placement, and the three-pronged design made it very versatile. I've never seen a controller since that made both D-pad and analog control equally viable.
Leo_Ames and gamermwm like this.
post #1388 of 1390 Old 10-23-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I liked it although I share the same criticisms of it. But it has one major thing going for it in Wii mode that my Classic Controller Pro doesn't have. The A button is placed in a position where my thumb naturally gravitates towards it.

Since transferring my data to my Wii U and using my Classic Controller Pro in games I had previously relied on my Wavebird for (Primarily, Mario Kart Wii and a half dozen N64 downloads), I find I'm sometimes going for the B button to do something like jump in Super Mario 64 rather than the A button which such functions are mapped to.

The A button with this SuperNes derived button layout just feels more like it should be a secondary button instead of a primary button (And is used as such for most games designed for such a button layout).

This will resolve that issue for me.
post #1389 of 1390 Old 10-23-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't want to make that post too long by including this, but incidentally, all these button mapping issues over the years didn't have to be that way. Look at this prototype of the SuperNes that I recently saw and note the button labeling.

It would've solved so many future problems, typically when making available two button Nintendo games on four button devices with the ABXY layout (Where Nintendo sacrifices comfort for matched up button lettering), had Nintendo kept B & A in these positions instead of the layout that they ended up going with.

Thanks Heavens that at least the Wii U Virtual Console has remappable buttons. Had Nintendo been quicker in making N64 downloads available, I'd likely just pass on this.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 10-23-2014 at 08:43 PM.
post #1390 of 1390 Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, that prototype button layout really is much better. It never occurred to me before, but it is kind of dumb that the SNES controller was set up to use Y-B as its primary buttons. I like to stick to default controls as much as possible (a habit stemming from it being such a pain to have to remap buttons whenever I'd go play at a friend's house as a kid), and adjusting to NES "B-A" game controls on an SNES-styled "Y-B" pad is always a pain.

When I picked up the 3DS Smash, I tried remapping Specials to Y and Standards to B, but Specials in that series are so ingrained as "B-moves" to me that knowing I had them on Y kept tripping me up. Eventually it just seemed easier to switch back to default controls and get used to it, but whenever I go a couple days without playing it takes me a few minutes to readjust.
Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page