Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

Old 11-22-2014, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm going to assume that I need some sort of account with Ninty to use my Wii U? Is there a place I can create that ahead of time so things proceed easier on Xmas morning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2014, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
Anyone done the large attached hard drive? Any benefit to SSD vs conventional? What are thoughts on sizing...1 TB? Any performance concerns?
...per the drives Nintendo has stated officially work w/the Wii U it seems that conventional is the way to go. As far as sizing goes the system doesn't support more than 2TB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
I'm going to assume that I need some sort of account with Ninty to use my Wii U? Is there a place I can create that ahead of time so things proceed easier on Xmas morning?
...you need to setup a Nintendo Network ID (NNID), but I don't believe you can do that before purchasing a Wii U or 3DS. It doesn't take much time to set one up though so your Christmas will still run smoothly. I don't believe you need the account to actually use the system though, it's used for eShop, Miiverse, and online play functionality.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Trying to figure out my controller purchase situation. I was leaning heavily towards going w/ 3 Pro controllers and calling it a day.

Do the Pro controllers work with VC games? I've got 40 bucks worth of eShop cards (I really jones for the original Zelda among others).

Is the wiimote / nunchuk combo perfectly fine for all the Mario games (not counting Smash Bros.)? I'll probably pick up the Zelda games as well at some point.

I need 3 controllers; I really don't want to end up needing 6 controllers to the tune of 300 bucks !!!

Help? If you guys were in my boat w/ no controllers at all and 150 bucks or so to spend, would it be 3 Wiimotes/Nunchuk combos or 3 Pro controllers?

Last edited by s1njin; 11-25-2014 at 08:38 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-25-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Pro controllers work with *Wii U* VC console games, but not regular ol' Wii VC consoles games, if that makes sense. They're two separate online stores on technically two different systems, and the Wii U VC is not terribly expansive as of yet. Definitely don't assume that just because a game's on the Wii VC that it's also on the Wii U VC.

Wiimote/nunchuck, as well as Wiimote alone, technically works for all Mario games I believe (as well as Smash Bros, FYI, but it's not ideal). Pro controller would definitely be better for all those. Wiimote alone isn't so bad with the 2D Mario games, but the 3D ones really are better with an analog stick. Wiimote/nunchuck might solve that, but then you'd have your "run" button mapped to a trigger, which would take most people some getting used to.

So yeah, it sounds like three Pro controllers is the way to go for you.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Mongo. 3 Pro Controllers it is.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Not sure what we can say about Black Friday deals, but eShop cards are 15% off at Best Buy, and Nintendo has announced they will be doing new deals all December long, so I'm gonna get some discounted eShop cards now in anticipation of snagging some discounted games later. Although they aren't doing much to promise quick shipping of the cards....
Old 11-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

I got 2 eShop cards from Target last week. Buy 1 get 1 25% off. Good enough for me.

No real deals to speak of for Ninty this year. I was hoping to snag a deal on the controllers, but it was for naught. Oh well.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Best Buy has Buy 1 get 1 40% off select games today.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Trying to decide between Donkey Kong and Bayonetta 2 for this deal, already getting Pikmin 3. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN ID: javant86

Old 12-01-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
Trying to decide between Donkey Kong and Bayonetta 2 for this deal, already getting Pikmin 3. Any suggestions?

I vote for both!!

Actually, if you want a merciless platformer that looks really pretty while also causing the anger/frustration/anxiety that Nintendo is known for in platform games, DKC is an excellent game.

Bayonetta 2 is NOT a family friendly platformer - but it is one of the best action games to hit any console in recent times and pretty much unlike most all other Wii U titles (as in it wears its M rating like a badge of honor). Plus, the included Wii U port of the original PS3/360 title is possibly one of the better ports to come down the pipeline - and has some amusing Ninty-inspired fan service additions.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Last edited by jwebb1970; 12-01-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post
I vote for both!!

Actually, if you want a merciless platformer that looks really pretty while also causing the anger/frustration/anxiety that Nintendo is known for in platform games, DKC is an excellent game.

Bayonetta 2 is NOT a family friendly platformer - but it is one of the best action games to hit any platform in recent times and pretty much unlike most all other Wii U titles (as in it wears its M rating like a badge of honor). Plus, the Wii U port of the orignal PS3/360 title is possibly one of the better ports to come down the pipeline - and has some amusing Ninty-inspired fan service additions.

I went with Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong. I'll pickup Bayonetta sometime this Holiday Season if I catch it for a good deal or on Craigslist. I haven't played the first one yet but seeing videos and reading about the second one has me wanting to dive in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN ID: javant86

Old 12-01-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I snagged Darksiders II on sale in the eShop. Looking forward to playing that. Resisting the urge to buy more games than I can play at once is difficult.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

How are people spending their Club Nintendo coins? Do you snag the first game to catch your eye? Or is the selection decent each month? Both Pilotwings and Vegas Stakes are on my extended wish list and I'm trying to figure out if I should snatch up one or both of them.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quick question as a new wii u owner. When i play wii u sports the wii u version, do you need that sensor bar? It seems to me when i disconnect it, it plays fine...

Does that mean any wii u games that utilize the wii remote dont need the sensor bar? Or am i missing out functionality? Tennis seems to work without it.

Last edited by Murilo; 12-02-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 663
The sensor bar is for original Wii games. I don't believe the Wii U utilizes it at all - I don't even have mine hooked up.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
The sensor bar is for original Wii games. I don't believe the Wii U utilizes it at all - I don't even have mine hooked up.
Neither do I, seems to work fine, but I have found next to no information if it does anything for wii u games in anyway that utilizes the wii remotes.

Thanks for the reply, i will leave it unhooked.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

I figured you could leave it unhooked. The Pro controllers don't use the bar, and almost all the Wii U games (maybe all of them?) work w/ the Pro controllers.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
The Wii U most certainly uses the sensor bar. It just depends on how the Wii remote is being used.

In Wii Sports Club, only the accelerometers and gyroscope apparently are being utilized (except golf, which utilizes the gamepad's built-in sensor bar). This functionality similarly never required the ir array provided by the sensor bar on either the Wii or the Wii U.

But whenever the infrared sensor at the tip of the Wii remote is used (Most commonly as a "pointer" such as when navigating the Wii U or Wii dashboard), you need the sensor bar. The upcoming release of Duck Hunt on the Wii U Virtual Console will be a good example where it's going to be required.

And I suspect that Nintendoland also does in a few minigames for another example, although I've yet to really play it after briefly checking it out a year ago. I believe that Pikmin 3's optional Wii controller mode and Epic Mickey 2's multiplayer mode are two more examples where the Wii remote's infrared sensor is needed (And thus, you must provide it with a Wii sensor bar to look at).

Quote:
The Pro controllers don't use the bar, and almost all the Wii U games (maybe all of them?) work w/ the Pro controllers.
There are many Wii U releases that lack Pro Controller support, although many of the best releases include support for it.

The already cited Epic Mickey 2 is one such example. Lego City Undercover also leaps to mind as one that I discovered doesn't include compatibility for this controller.

Even New Super Mario Bros. U, the system's premier launch title, didn't initially support it. Only when its expansion was released the next year was Pro Controller support patched in.
DaverJ, TeflonSoul and dandiego like this.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 12-02-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
The Wii U most certainly uses the sensor bar.
Thanks for the clarification and setting the record straight. After I posted, I realized I wasn't actually sure about this detail and failed to look it up.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Even New Super Mario Bros. U, the system's premier launch title, didn't initially support it. Only when its expansion was released the next year was Pro Controller support patched in.
Eh ... I just got this game delivered and I see it does not have the Pro controller listed on the back. Does the Wii U patch like the Xbone or PS4 in that you pop a game in and it goes out and finds a update if applicable?

If so that's cool - I didn't know the Wii U patched games.

If not, I'm hosed as I now have to buy some Wiimotes.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it works in the conventional way and will automatically prompt you if you want to update. The process takes only a few seconds.

Sadly, no Wii Classic Controller support was added at the same time. But that's another nice thing that many quality Wii U releases incorporate when it makes sense, including several high profile 1st party releases like Mario Kart 8.

Support for Nintendo's last generation conventional controllers surely is a welcome addition for many (Although with a Wii U Pro Controller that's fully wireless, mine mostly are only used in Wii mode).

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 12-02-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

So my New SMB U game that I just bought will get patched when I launch it? Does it get the expansion too? Or do I need to buy the expansion to get the patch that provides for the Wii U pro controller?
Old 12-02-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The patch is free. It just happened to coincide with the launch of New Super Luigi U (Which is sold digitally as an expansion for NSMBU and is sold as a standalone product at retail).

You should be prompted when you first fire it up to update, unless they're now including a pre-patched version on disc and just forgot to correct the insert.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The patch is free. It just happened to coincide with the launch of New Super Luigi U (Which is sold digitally as an expansion for NSMBU and is sold as a standalone product at retail).

You should be prompted when you first fire it up to update, unless they're now including a pre-patched version on disc and just forgot to correct the insert.
Thank you !
Old 12-05-2014, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those disappointed with the lack of Wii U console sales during Black Friday, it appears Toys R Us is having a $30 off sale on the Super Mario 3D World bundle starting Sunday. The sale is in-store only.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Sold if true, hopefully I can get a copy. I'm slowly getting back to Nintendo after nearly a year of ignoring them and that would be a great starting point for my Wii U.
Leo_Ames likes this.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Super Mario 3D World is a fine way to start out. If you don't enjoy that one, you need to find a new hobby.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

A buddy of mine just set up his Wii U yesterday; he said it took a couple hours to patch/update. Is that the norm? Should I be patching mine up before the kids get at it on Xmas morning?
Old 12-05-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561

Zelda Wii U gameplay demo from the game awards
Old 12-05-2014, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
A buddy of mine just set up his Wii U yesterday; he said it took a couple hours to patch/update. Is that the norm? Should I be patching mine up before the kids get at it on Xmas morning?
I think it'd be a good idea just to get it up and running quickly. Yeah there is a big patch when you first start it up. I also recommend charging the gamepad too.

Xbox Live Gamertag: TurdFerguson64
PSN Gamertag: TurdFerguson_64

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U