Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Official Wii U discussion thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post
https://youtube.com/watch?v=wjWz1hvkDsQ

Zelda Wii U gameplay demo from the game awards

Wind Waker was the first Zelda I've played since N64 because I didn't have a GameCube or Wii. I'm usually against pre-ordering but I'll be doing just that for whatever deluxe edition they'll have for this game. Can't come out soon enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN ID: javant86

Last edited by kamouflage; 12-05-2014 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Added quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1500 Old 12-05-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 216
I don't like the slow motion jumping and I hope there's the option of manual control of Epona, but looking good.

Mario Maker is also shaping up nicely.

I hope this is as fleshed out as it appears. I'd love to be able to download recreations of past Mario releases for one example (Vs. Super Mario Bros., please).

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 12-06-2014 at 12:18 AM.
post #1473 of 1500 Old 12-06-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
My first thought was those impossible Mario Rom hacks that came out a while back. You know that will be the bulk of the downloads. Hopefully Nintendo includes full Mario games in each game's style to go with this release.
post #1474 of 1500 Old 12-06-2014, 08:40 AM

Now that looks cool! It's like Little Big Planet for folks that grew up with the NES and SNES.

post #1475 of 1500 Old 12-06-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hopefully Nintendo includes full Mario games in each game's style to go with this release.
I assume that it will contain a full game with pre-made levels from Nintendo. I doubt there will be one in each style though since they're not standalone.

Any level can be switched to a different style by a press of the touch screen. The underlying level geometry, enemies, and Mario's physics remain the same. Just the graphical skin (And perhaps the audio?) is changed up between styles.

Too bad that more complicated things likely will be impossible. I'd love to see Super Mario Land and SML2 be recreated here for instance, but much of both likely will be impossible like the vehicle levels in SML1.

But I'm looking forward to a fan created version of Vs. Super Mario Bros. (The arcade release that is like a remixed version of the NES game) and playing through the original Super Mario Bros. in different styles.

Both seem likely to be able to be recreated in nearly 1:1 form based on what they've shown off so far.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 12-06-2014 at 02:25 PM.
post #1476 of 1500 Old 12-06-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

The gameplay physics looked to change between each style with each game's special moves and styles being reflected with each skin change. It was what had me most excited about the release.
post #1477 of 1500 Old 12-06-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

If that's true, it's a recent change that goes against what they demonstrated back at E3 when it was just SMB and NSMB skins available, with the physics remaining the same across both.

I hope that you're right since the variety would be nice.
post #1478 of 1500 Old 12-06-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Watch the new video again, each style change looks to be a full shift to that engine, physics, music and sound, everything. Swiching to the NSMB set added wall jumps and ground pounds. The SMB3 stuff looked exactly like the physics I'm used to from the airship levels. And SMB1, I speed run that game at near world record times and it looks spot on.
post #1479 of 1500 Old 12-06-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I did rewatch it before that reply, but couldn't pick up on the physics differences with any certainty.

Everything looked right though after coming off finishing SMW once again just recently and being halfway through SMB3 at the moment on my Wii U. I just can't swear that it's not just the graphics that are solely responsible for the different feel that I was getting.

I did notice as you said that those NSMB moves were only demonstrated with that particular graphics skin applied.

I don't doubt you that changes beyond superficial adjustments take place when moving between styles, I was just adding what the story was as of back at E3 when they were just going with a single set of physics.

Also worth noting that they felt that the original SMB's physics were perhaps a bit too harsh for the modern NSMB player. So they, as of E3, didn't replicate the original's physics and went with something with a more modern feel.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 12-07-2014 at 07:08 PM.
post #1480 of 1500 Old 12-06-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't pay any attention to the E3 version of the build, it looked like a cheap cash in at the time so I kinda ignored it...
post #1481 of 1500 Old 12-06-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I think this is what I watched back in the summer where that physics detail was mentioned. Plus, there's a lot of gameplay shown if you want to see more.

I can't find the mention about the physics direction that they took, but 10 minutes in mentions how both styles share the same physics.

Edit: Maybe I read about what they were going after with their physics direction, as mentioned in this article.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...nal_mario_bros

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 12-06-2014 at 08:44 PM.
post #1482 of 1500 Old 12-07-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I'm almost definitely going to be buying a Wii U when the new Zelda comes out, but at the same time that video has me a little concerned. I'm not sure spending 5 minutes (or however long it was) traversing from place to place actually fixes any of the fundamental flaws in the series (mainly that it's become formulaic). We'll see though.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #1483 of 1500 Old 12-07-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Zelda Wind Waker and Mario 3D World bought. This marks my first Wii U purchase since Lego City launched... been a while.
post #1484 of 1500 Old 12-07-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Zelda Wind Waker and Mario 3D World bought. This marks my first Wii U purchase since Lego City launched... been a while.

Be forewarned 3D World starts out impossibly easy and you'll quickly have upwards up 100 lives. Trust me, you'll need every single one of them by the end of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #1485 of 1500 Old 12-07-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

3D Land was the same way, I still go back to it off and on to progress on the bonus worlds. I have around 170 lives in it...
post #1486 of 1500 Old 12-07-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
3D Land was the same way, I still go back to it off and on to progress on the bonus worlds. I have around 170 lives in it...

I had 3D Land too but I think 3D World is tougher. Either way you should have fun and the game looks and sounds all kinds of amazing.

post #1487 of 1500 Old 12-07-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mario Maker analysis from Game explain.

Leo_Ames likes this.
post #1488 of 1500 Old 12-07-2014, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
mario maker looks like it will be a blast, really hope this isnt the only one in the series or at least dlc for it.
post #1489 of 1500 Old 12-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher_H View Post
I think it'd be a good idea just to get it up and running quickly. Yeah there is a big patch when you first start it up. I also recommend charging the gamepad too.
My friend told me his took close to 2 hours - that seems obscene to me. My friend isn't the type to do this type of thing over a crappy DSL line either.
post #1490 of 1500 Old 12-08-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
A buddy of mine just set up his Wii U yesterday; he said it took a couple hours to patch/update. Is that the norm? Should I be patching mine up before the kids get at it on Xmas morning?
I just setup a new Wii U for my son's birthday this weekend. It definitely took at least an hour before we were playing Mario Kart 8. I read somewhere that they recommend you not setup your internet connection initially and rather install the Mario Kart 8 update from the disc first. I did that, but I'm pretty sure a new update just came out recently, so I had to install a second update afterwards anyway. Mario Kart also installed its own game update before it would play.

I purchased the Deluxe version that comes with the gamepad cradle. The charge cable comes attached to the cradle but it can be disconnected and connected directly to the top of the gamepad. I saw the big connector on the bottom of the gamepad (since that's how it sat on the cradle), saw the small cable attached to the cradle, and initially thought the cradle was the only way to charge. Later I realized that there is a charge connector on the top of the gamepad that accepts the charge cable. The gamepad didn't have enough initial charge to get us through the installation so we needed the cable.

The most frustrating part was trying to create a Nintendo ID for my son since the console kept popping up messages asking us to link our account. At the end of the registration process it asks you to enter your credit card information, but the final verification process kept failing saying it couldn't contact the servers. Tried all day... on the Wii U and the 3DS... with no luck. Finally I tried registering the Nintendo ID using my birth date rather than my son's and it skipped the whole credit card requirement and completed successfully.

I have a PS4 and Xbox One, but we like our occasional Mario games. It was nice to finally play Mario in HD and surround sound... it looked and sounded great! It was even nicer to play them with a decent controller (Pro) this time, though I found the gamepad to be much more comfortable than I imagined. I know that, playing with my son, I'll never be using the gamepad...
agnathra likes this.
post #1491 of 1500 Old 12-08-2014, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffe72 View Post
It was nice to finally play Mario in HD and surround sound... it looked and sounded great! It was even nicer to play them with a decent controller (Pro) this time, though I found the gamepad to be much more comfortable than I imagined. I know that, playing with my son, I'll never be using the gamepad...
Glad you guys are also enjoying the Wii U and HD Mario goodness. I agree as far as the gamepad being more comfortable than it looks...I have also found with Mario Kart that I just race better when I'm using the Pro controller vs. the bulkier gamepad

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #1492 of 1500 Old 12-09-2014, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffe72 View Post
I just setup a new Wii U for my son's birthday this weekend. It definitely took at least an hour before we were playing Mario Kart 8. I read somewhere that they recommend you not setup your internet connection initially and rather install the Mario Kart 8 update from the disc first. I did that, but I'm pretty sure a new update just came out recently, so I had to install a second update afterwards anyway. Mario Kart also installed its own game update before it would play.

I purchased the Deluxe version that comes with the gamepad cradle. The charge cable comes attached to the cradle but it can be disconnected and connected directly to the top of the gamepad. I saw the big connector on the bottom of the gamepad (since that's how it sat on the cradle), saw the small cable attached to the cradle, and initially thought the cradle was the only way to charge. Later I realized that there is a charge connector on the top of the gamepad that accepts the charge cable. The gamepad didn't have enough initial charge to get us through the installation so we needed the cable.

The most frustrating part was trying to create a Nintendo ID for my son since the console kept popping up messages asking us to link our account. At the end of the registration process it asks you to enter your credit card information, but the final verification process kept failing saying it couldn't contact the servers. Tried all day... on the Wii U and the 3DS... with no luck. Finally I tried registering the Nintendo ID using my birth date rather than my son's and it skipped the whole credit card requirement and completed successfully.

I have a PS4 and Xbox One, but we like our occasional Mario games. It was nice to finally play Mario in HD and surround sound... it looked and sounded great! It was even nicer to play them with a decent controller (Pro) this time, though I found the gamepad to be much more comfortable than I imagined. I know that, playing with my son, I'll never be using the gamepad...
Thank you for the thought out in-depth response ! Sounds like I have to cut some time out on Xmas eve cause this could be a pain in the backside.
post #1493 of 1500 Old 12-09-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
Glad you guys are also enjoying the Wii U and HD Mario goodness. I agree as far as the gamepad being more comfortable than it looks...I have also found with Mario Kart that I just race better when I'm using the Pro controller vs. the bulkier gamepad
The Wii was my first Nintendo console and I can't honestly say that I was too fond of the Wiimote and Nunchuk. I'm finding it far more enjoyable playing with the Pro controller. We've been having fun with the Wii-U so far... sometimes it's just fun and refreshing to get away from all the really heavy and involved games on the PS4 and Xbox and play something a little more light-hearted. Not that the Nintendo games don't offer their share of challenge and frustration... just in a softer more cuddly package!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Thank you for the thought out in-depth response ! Sounds like I have to cut some time out on Xmas eve cause this could be a pain in the backside.
If you have the opportunity to set it all up before Christmas so you just have to plug it in... I'd recommend it

The wrapping paper is ripped off... the kids are all crazy excited with controllers in hand... you get everything connected quick and dirty to start the action sooner... and then... "update required"... "downloading system update 1%... 2%"... "applying system update... 1%.... 2%..."

Kids are now off somewhere watching Minecraft videos on the iPad while you're assuring them "it's almost done!"... "not much more to go!"... "almost ready!"

"This game requires an update."

Oh, for the love of...

post #1494 of 1500 Old 12-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Well the system is patched! My Mii is the primary one with a Nintendo ID and password. My kids each have their own Mii that are also users of the system but they do not have Nintendo IDs and they have Parental Controls enabled.

Glad I got started early; between charging the gamepad and patching that was a good 2 hours right there. I spent another 1.5 hours or so creating Miis, locking the system down, and just becoming familiar with it in general.

I didn't patch any of the games I have b/c I didn't have the heart to pull the wrappers off ALL the gifts this year. They'll have to deal w/ a Xmas day game patch - hopefully its not too bad.

Felt a bit like a kid w/ the Nintendo. Looking forward to Christmas and playing w/ my girls.
DaverJ and Wolffe72 like this.
post #1495 of 1500 Old 12-12-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Ugh, I can't believe the system still requires so much patching time for initial setup. On the bright side, I can tell you that most of the game patches can be safely ignored/bypassed (there will be a button to start the game up immediately and do the update later) unless you want to play online right away.
post #1496 of 1500 Old 12-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Well I need to update NSMBU b/c I only have Pro Controllers. :P
post #1497 of 1500 Old 12-12-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post
Ugh, I can't believe the system still requires so much patching time for initial setup.
At least most folks these days are better off than the earlier purchasers were. Unlike just a year ago where I bought the Nintendoland bundle and both New Super Mario Bros. releases, most people entering the Wii U world these days likely will be starting off with games like Mario Kart 8.

All they should have to do to have reasonably up to date firmware is to pop a disc in and attempt to play it. Should be an easier and much faster proposition.

I couldn't even connect to my wireless router a year ago until you guys directed me to a workaround. (Which is fixed by the day 1 update that I couldn't download until I was able to connect).
post #1498 of 1500 Old 12-14-2014, 03:32 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post
Ugh, I can't believe the system still requires so much patching time for initial setup. On the bright side, I can tell you that most of the game patches can be safely ignored/bypassed (there will be a button to start the game up immediately and do the update later) unless you want to play online right away.
Aren't they shipping new Wii U's with patched up firmware yet? Otherwise there have to be Gigabytes of accumulated system updates by now...
post #1499 of 1500 Old 12-14-2014, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyBurns View Post
Aren't they shipping new Wii U's with patched up firmware yet? Otherwise there have to be Gigabytes of accumulated system updates by now...
I don't know what version mine shipped with, but it definitely needed one out of the box. I couldn't get online w/ the Nintendo Network and make a Nintendo ID w/o first patching.
post #1500 of 1500 Unread Today, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I purchased my Wii U bundle last night. BestBuy has games buy one get one 40% off and they price matched the Target ad for $249.99.
My BestBuy had a small selection of games. Picked up Wind Waker and Captain Toad. I'll go shopping later this week and get NES Remix, Super Luigi Wii U or Super Mario Bros. Wii U.

It took about 45 min to get rolling in Mario 3D World after updates and making 2 Mii's, but I have 24 Mb/s down and 4 Mb/s up.

Tonight we will continue on Mario 3D world. If I get a chance, I will transfer some Wii VC games over.

Panasonic 50" Plasma 3D Smart TV

Panasonic Blu-Ray 3D Smart Player

Built HTPC/Gaming PC (i7 860, SSD, GTX 660 Ti+), Xbox 360, Wii, N64, NES

Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page