Official Wii U discussion thread. - Page 51 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 52Likes
post #1501 of 1528 Old 12-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Wii U Gamepad Question

So - does the gamepad have to stay 'on' if I'm using all Pro Controllers? I can't figure out how to turn it off, and it seems stupid to have it docked just to keep the battery full b/c the screen won't turn off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1528 Old 12-25-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
So - does the gamepad have to stay 'on' if I'm using all Pro Controllers? I can't figure out how to turn it off, and it seems stupid to have it docked just to keep the battery full b/c the screen won't turn off.
Press Home, go to Controller Settings, you'll see the option to turn the Gamepad display off. I believe it doesn't turn the Gamepad off, so the battery may still slowly drain. Gamefaqs had this explanation on how to actually turn it off, but it seems kind of tedious:

Quote:
From the home screen press the sync button on the console.
That brings up the sync menu, press it one more time and it brings up the game pad sync menu.
Then on the gamepad it will show something like "this gamepad is already synced."
At that point hold the game pad's power button and it should just turn off.
Finally hit b on the other controller and the game pad will stay off until you restart the console or press the game pad's power button.
post #1503 of 1528 Old 12-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL View Post
Press Home, go to Controller Settings, you'll see the option to turn the Gamepad display off. I believe it doesn't turn the Gamepad off, so the battery may still slowly drain. Gamefaqs had this explanation on how to actually turn it off, but it seems kind of tedious:
Thank you !
post #1504 of 1528 Old 12-26-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Some more interesting thoughts on the Mario Maker trailer.

post #1505 of 1528 Old 12-29-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help w/ Wii U Component Cable

Hi All,

Hoping someone might be able to help or point me in right direction (a quick search didn't turn up an Official Marantz SR5009 thread, so if there is one could this be moved if needed?). Bought the kids a Wii U for Christmas and am having an awfully hard time getting it connected to my AV Receiver/Projector setup. We originally hooked it up via HDMI to the living room TV and it worked fine. However, it's permanent home in the basement has component only hook ups (long story, the original homeowner finished the basement and only ran DVI/component cables to the projector box. No easy access to ceiling. Running HDMI to projector is a project still waiting to start)

Since the Wii U only comes with the HDMI cable I bought this:

Rocketfish™ - 6' Component Cable for Nintendo Wii

So setup is Wii U > Marantz SR5009 > Mitsubishi 5500

At first I simply switched out the Blu-ray player component cables and replaced with the Wii U component cable. No signal to projector. Switched things back and Blu-ray signal went right to the projector like normal. Then I attempted to do same with the DirecTV box component cable and same thing happened.

Any advice? The Rocketfish cable is supposed to be compatible with Wii U. Or is it the wrong one to use with my receiver?

I'm looking into having HDMI cables run to the box (along with building an in-wall rack) but that is another project and another paycheck. Appreciate any advice here. Thanks!

Sean

TWC FREE FOR YEARS
post #1506 of 1528 Old 12-29-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Odd

Since you previously had this connected via HDMI, about the only possibly constructive suggestion that I can make is to hook it up directly to your tv via component. That will at least let you rule out a hardware issue like a faulty multi-out video port on the Wii U.

If you didn't have other devices successfully connected via component and presumably set to output at 1080p, I'd say that your receiver isn't able to handle 1080p over component (A failing that afflicts some receivers and HDTV's).

But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 12-29-2014 at 06:59 PM.
post #1507 of 1528 Old 01-05-2015, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Well, FWIW Nintendo still has the 'magic' with its first party IPs. My kids spent most of the Christmas break glued to the television. I enjoyed watching their eyes light up with each new discovery.

It was well worth the money even though I didn't score any 'deals' on any of it. I'm glad I put the Wii-U under the tree this year - it was the home run gift !
post #1508 of 1528 Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Well, FWIW Nintendo still has the 'magic' with its first party IPs. My kids spent most of the Christmas break glued to the television. I enjoyed watching their eyes light up with each new discovery.

It was well worth the money even though I didn't score any 'deals' on any of it. I'm glad I put the Wii-U under the tree this year - it was the home run gift !
We have a PS4 and an Xbox One but the Wii U was definitely the crowd pleaser this holiday season. The kids had a blast playing Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart. Four-player Super Mario Bros had everyone screaming and laughing even if having so many people in the game made it 10x harder.

Myself, I snuck in enough time to almost finish Wind Waker HD. Being able to play comfortably on the Gamepad without stealing the TV was a definite plus for me (the PS4/Vita combo has worked well too, but I always found the lack of dedicated L2/R2 buttons and the rear touch panel to be a pain).

I'm very happy with my Wii U purchase as well. Nintendo fills that niche in a way that only Nintendo can.
post #1509 of 1528 Old 01-05-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Happy to hear those Christmas Wii U stories. The console has definitely hit its stride at this point (took them long enough), and 2014 was unquestionably Nintendo's year, though I'm pretty curious how 2015 is going to fare for them now that two of their biggest guns in MK and SSB have already been deployed...
Leo_Ames and gamermwm like this.
post #1510 of 1528 Old 01-05-2015, 11:26 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post
Happy to hear those Christmas Wii U stories. The console has definitely hit its stride at this point (took them long enough), and 2014 was unquestionably Nintendo's year, though I'm pretty curious how 2015 is going to fare for them now that two of their biggest guns in MK and SSB have already been deployed...
Well, the new Zelda is slated for 2015 ... although it probably won't be until the very end of the year. It will still likely be a best-selling game for the system in the short time it's out.
post #1511 of 1528 Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Downloadable Wii games are now available on the Wii U. Super Mario Galaxy 2 appeared today, with Punch Out and Metroid Prime Trilogy coming up next.

I hope that the gamepad support for Classic Controller enabled releases that future eShop downloads of such titles will have, will be made available to Wii mode as well so those of us with original Wii discs can also enjoy it.

Going to just seem like a cash grab if one has to download an otherwise unchanged game (These aren't remastered or anything of the like), just to get off-screen play in games like Mario Kart Wii.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 01-18-2015 at 03:31 PM.
post #1512 of 1528 Old 01-14-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
Now that downloadable Wii games are available on the Wii U (Super Mario Galaxy 2 appeared today, with Punch Out and Metroid Prime Trilogy coming), I hope that the gamepad support for Classic Controller enabled releases that these eShop downloads have will be made available to Wii mode as well.

Going to just seem like a cash grab if one has to download an otherwise unchanged game (These aren't remastered or anything of the like), just to get off-screen play.
Thanks for the heads up about SMG2... never played the first or this one but I was always interested. Instead of picking up the Wii Version I'll pick this digital one and play it on the Wii U gamepad!
post #1513 of 1528 Old 01-14-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Before you spend $10, Super Mario Galaxy 2 didn't have Classic Controller support.

So while you can display it on the gamepad screen just as you can the original disc when played in Wii Mode, you'll still need a Wiimote and nunchuck to control it.

None of these first three had Classic Controller support (Or Donkey Kong Country Returns for any Europeans around here that are getting that instead of Punch Out).

Edited my earlier post so that this is clearer.
DaverJ and Dashboard like this.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 01-14-2015 at 09:10 AM.
post #1514 of 1528 Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

SMG2 and MPT not having Classic Controller/Gamepad support is understandable, but there's no reason Punch-Out shouldn't. (And this is speaking as someone who played it with Wiimote/Nunchuck controls.)

Kinda surprised we're getting downloadable Wii games before the Gamecube games that everyone predicted! Maybe they decided there's more money in doing full-release remasters for GC games instead.
post #1515 of 1528 Old 01-14-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
Before you spend $10, Super Mario Galaxy 2 didn't have Classic Controller support.

So while you can display it on the gamepad screen just as you can the original disc when played in Wii Mode, you'll still need a Wiimote and nunchuck to control it.

None of these first three had Classic Controller support (Or Donkey Kong Country Returns for any Europeans around here that are getting that instead of Punch Out).

Edited my earlier post so that this is clearer.
Thanks for the clarification!
post #1516 of 1528 Old 01-14-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I preferred MPT with Wiimote/nunchuck point & shoot anyway. Arguably the finest use of that control scheme in a FPS-perspective Wii title ever.

And seeing as I foolishly sold my steelbox set quite a while ago (and later regretted it), I will surely be loading up the eShop when MPT hits. Rebuying this game digitally for $20 (apparently $10 when it first arrives) beats shelling out a minimum of $50 for a used copy.
TeflonSoul likes this.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Last edited by jwebb1970; 01-14-2015 at 09:58 AM.
post #1517 of 1528 Old 01-18-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This maybe a dumb question but playing duck hunt, is their any reason something like this would not work for duck hunt on wii u?

http://www.amazon.com/Bestsuply-Moti...=wii+light+gun
post #1518 of 1528 Old 01-20-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Say Good-bye!

Say good-bye to Club Nintendo, closing up in this spring (March). You can still redeem coins for some time after that, but you can't earn any more.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #1519 of 1528 Old 01-20-2015, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Dammit. Ah well, it's been kind of going downhill for a while now. Guess it's finally time to register the hundreds of coins I have sitting around, not that any of the rewards are all that appealing...
post #1520 of 1528 Old 01-20-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post
Say good-bye to Club Nintendo, closing up in this spring (March). You can still redeem coins for some time after that, but you can't earn any more.

Earn coins until March on games released prior to today.

Redeem through end of June.

Sad it's going away. Although they do mention a new rewards program coming in the future.

New games are up with more being added in February.

For Wii U currently:
- super Mario Bros 2
- excite bike

Looks like games are only being added not removed until end of program, so time to build up a stash and stockpile some classics.

Last edited by Naylia; 01-20-2015 at 04:39 PM.
post #1521 of 1528 Old 01-23-2015, 02:26 PM

Liked: 1
I wish they would remake the Legend of Zelda (s) for the Wii U, just like they did Wind Waker HD.

There is a bit of a nostalgic bias to it, but LoZ Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess at least. They've already remade OoT for the 3DS, would it be that hard to port it to the Wii U? Especially with the remade graphics and the touchscreen capability? I'm sure that would sell like crazy, not to mention the Wii U would be more than capable of running an even more beautiful game. Majora's Mask is in the works for the 3DS, and Twilight Princess is already based on a classic controller setup, so why not just port it?

Skyward Sword I understand might take longer, especially with the motion controls, but if they sold it as a HD bundle, I think it would make a good investment.
post #1522 of 1528 Old 01-23-2015, 02:29 PM

Not to mention, Nintendo should really try to get Kingdom Hearts 3 released on the Wii U (although I'm good if they don't, I have an Xbox1).

The HD remasters for the Kingdom Hearts series were great, I'm sure it would help the Wii U sales (if it were picked up by Square and Disney).
post #1523 of 1528 Old 01-23-2015, 03:39 PM

Has anyone on here tried Nintendont?

If so, is it completely reversible? I have Gamecube games ripped on my Wii that I'd like to play on the Wii U, but I don't want to do anything stupid...
post #1524 of 1528 Old 01-23-2015, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 159
This sucks...
So many points...so little 3DS XL (original) docking stations available!
post #1525 of 1528 Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

PSA: Metroid Prime Trilogy is up on the Wii U eShop for 50% off ($10!) through February 5th.
DaverJ and jwebb1970 like this.
post #1526 of 1528 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post
PSA: Metroid Prime Trilogy is up on the Wii U eShop for 50% off ($10!) through February 5th.
Upgraded my Wii U's previous ext storage device (32GB USB Flash) this week - or, actaully, picked up a USB Y cable to allow the Wii U to power an older 500gb USB portable HDD I had lying around - in prep for MP Trilogy's release. Nabbing it for $10 makes my stupidity for selling the original steelbox set hurt less.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #1527 of 1528 Old Today, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Downloading Metroid - now I have to dig out the sensor bar and the Wiimote!
post #1528 of 1528 Unread Today, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Downloading Metroid - now I have to dig out the sensor bar and the Wiimote!
Sensor bar and Wiimote found! Start game... GAH, "nunchuk required". Where's the damn nunchuk???? Tear house apart.

One hour later... ebay.

It's only around $5.50 to get (I assume) a knockoff, and least it will be in black to match the Wiimote Plus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page