Official Wii U discussion thread. - Page 52 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes
post #1531 of 1560 Old 02-09-2015, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Anyone have any recommendations for spending my remaining Club Nintendo coins? I haven't registered everything yet but I estimate I'm going to end up with around 900 coins or so total. Wonderful 101 would seem like a no-brainer if I didn't already own a physical copy, so I'm currently eying Dr. Luigi, Game & Wario, and Earthbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1560 Old 02-10-2015, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post
As to eShop reissues...and I have been wishing for it since the Wii Shop's VC...I for one would love a re-issue of Pilotwings 64. Something kinda soothing about that game for me. I may be the only one wishing for this, though...
Nope, I've also posted about hoping to see that one appear.

Where 1st party content is concerned that didn't already appear on the Wii (I bought six N64 downloads there), this is the only potential new addition from that platform that I'd bother buying if it were to finally resurface on the Wii U.

I especially love the hang glider stages in this game, the exact opposite of the original from the SuperNes where I hated the hang gliding and never felt truly in control.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 02-10-2015 at 08:02 PM.
post #1533 of 1560 Old 02-10-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post
As to eShop reissues...and I have been wishing for it since the Wii Shop's VC...I for one would love a re-issue of Pilotwings 64. Something kinda soothing about that game for me. I may be the only one wishing for this, though...
You're not the only one. Lately Pilotwings Resort has been my go-to game on the 3DS when I'm kicking back listening to music.

If the original got a 1080p/60fps makeover, I would be all over it.
post #1534 of 1560 Old 02-12-2015, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Since a lot of things are all priced at 200 I bought the SNES games over NES because of the better coins to dollars conversion.
post #1535 of 1560 Old 02-13-2015, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I redeemed 700 Club Nintendo coins about a week ago and I haven't received anything yet.

As of today, they still have the heavy traffic warning up. Anyone actually get a reward yet?
post #1536 of 1560 Old 02-15-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Digital or physical? Digital should be instant. Physical could likely be weeks.
post #1537 of 1560 Old 02-17-2015, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I ended up getting Star Fox 64 3D. Looks great on the new 3ds.
DaverJ likes this.
post #1538 of 1560 Old 02-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I've only got a little over 400 coins to spend. Since I never played it I think I'll pick up Doc Louis' Punch Out. I understand it's pretty short, but the game isn't likely to be seen again. Plus it's nice to see that Ninty hasn't entirely given up on those (like me) who haven't upgraded to Wii U.

Now I'm wishing I hadn't blown all my coins from last year and been able to snag that MM messenger bag, thing's already fetching $100 on the internets. At least I can still play my 2014 gold reward VC game instead. sigh...
post #1539 of 1560 Old 02-20-2015, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi not a gamer so looking for a little help here. My son is asking for Wii U for his birthday coming up in mid March. Regular Wii is in the house already and I think there are 4 controllers. What should I be looking to get and is Amazon the best place to buy? What would be a few good games to get him started. Thanks for the help.

Dave
post #1540 of 1560 Old 02-20-2015, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davird_Jr View Post
Hi not a gamer so looking for a little help here. My son is asking for Wii U for his birthday coming up in mid March. Regular Wii is in the house already and I think there are 4 controllers. What should I be looking to get and is Amazon the best place to buy? What would be a few good games to get him started. Thanks for the help.
I bought one for my son this Christmas. With the existing Wii controllers, you probably don't really need anything beyond the Wii U itself.

However, I think most Wii U games will use the old Wii controllers like basic controllers -- meaning held sideways and no motion controls/screen pointing. Of course, you'll use those controllers as you always did when playing older Wii games.

That being said, the new Wii Pro Controllers are just so much more comfortable to play with. I would recommend at least one to allow a second player to join, and possibly two since I believe at least one game we own (New Super Mario Bros Wii U?) requires all players to use a controller when more than one person is playing. With all the get-togethers over the Christmas holidays I ended up with four Wii Pro controllers.

Whether you choose the Wii U Basic or the Deluxe is up to you (I grabbed a Deluxe). I don't think the extra storage (32GB vs 8GB) provided by the Deluxe is that important if you don't plan to download much content, and if you do, you're most likely going to need to add extra storage regardless.

The included Nintendoland game isn't anything spectacular, but Super Mario 3D World Wii U included in some Deluxe bundles is great.

The Gamepad stand that is included with the Deluxe also isn't really necessary but I make use of it. If anything, it gives the kids a specific spot to return the Gamepad to when they are done.

I'm a gamer who loves all kinds of video games. While it won't replace my PS4, I think the Wii U is a great little console with a really fun library of games.
post #1541 of 1560 Old 02-20-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What would be a few good games to get him started.
I would recommend the Super Mario 3D World + Nintendoland bundle while it's $300, and be sure to also get Mario Kart 8.

Those would make a son very happy on his birthday. Maybe his Dad, too. Be advised that setting up a Wii U can take an agonizingly long time because of system updates.

Last edited by DaverJ; 02-20-2015 at 11:57 AM.
post #1542 of 1560 Old 02-20-2015, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the recommendations and links.

Dave
post #1543 of 1560 Old 02-23-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I would recommend the Super Mario 3D World + Nintendoland bundle while it's $300
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations and links.
If you are still interested, Best Buy has the same bundle for $25 off w/ free shipping.
post #1544 of 1560 Old 02-23-2015, 04:31 PM

Already pulled the trigger from Amazon. Thanks though.

Dave
post #1545 of 1560 Old 02-24-2015, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Nintendo needs to hurry up and roll out DS downloads.

There's a thread at NeoGaf with screenshots of DS games running via emulation in HD. Look at this comparison of Metroid Prime Hunters running in native resolution compared to the next one where it's rendered in HD.

That's assuming, of course, that Nintendo's DS emulator will render games in HD. Otherwise, I don't really care.

And lastly, a high quality comparison of Mario Kart DS and Super Mario 64 DS.
DaverJ and |Tch0rT| like this.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 02-24-2015 at 12:16 AM.
post #1546 of 1560 Old 02-27-2015, 09:38 AM

Liked: 2
Club Nintendo is being killed off and now I have all these coins I have to get rid of...
post #1547 of 1560 Old 02-28-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

You are more than welcome to buy me games if you find it all to troublesome
post #1548 of 1560 Old 03-17-2015, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Dont really know where to ask this, but i cant find an answer, i want to buy mario party 10, but the amiibo mode confuses me.

It says you need at least one which is somewhat annoying but i will buy one, but my question is if you have one, can you still have 4 players in amiibo mode? Or would each player need their own?

I cannot find an answer to this.
post #1549 of 1560 Old 03-17-2015, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Jumping in the middle of this thread, not knowing much.

General Google searches haven't been clear, but I'm trying to understand to what extent original wii games (i.e., mario galaxy 2, or punch-out) work on the wii-u? I skipped the original wii, but I have a wii-u. I'd like to introduce some additional mario games to my son.

Do these work? Is there a compatibility list? What controllers are supported? I have the wii-u gamepad (obviously), but also have the wii-u pro game controller.

Thanks.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #1550 of 1560 Old 03-17-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
I'm trying to understand to what extent original wii games (i.e., mario galaxy 2, or punch-out) work on the wii-u?
I believe all (or at least 99%?) original Wii game discs will work with the Wii U (albeit in standard definition), but you'll need to get a Wii-mote and numchuck for playing them. A few original Wii games, like the ones you mentioned, are available for download, but will still need the original Wii remote + numchuck if supported.
post #1551 of 1560 Old 03-17-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
Dont really know where to ask this, but i cant find an answer, i want to buy mario party 10, but the amiibo mode confuses me.

It says you need at least one which is somewhat annoying but i will buy one, but my question is if you have one, can you still have 4 players in amiibo mode? Or would each player need their own?

I cannot find an answer to this.
I can't confirm this 100%, but this description from Wikipedia implies that you can still play with 4 players with just one Amiibo, albeit with aesthetic shaming imposed on the Amiibo-less players:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Amiibo Party involves up to four Amiibo characters playing on boards designed for those characters. Players that own an Amiibo will be represented on the board by a three-dimensional figure, while players without one will be represented by a two-dimensional cardboard cut out. This mode is similar in gameplay to the original Mario Party series through Mario Party DS.
post #1552 of 1560 Old 03-21-2015, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I can echo the recent comments about my question regarding amiibos. The amiibos are a pain though, but i dont know why you would want more then 1 at the time, constantly scanning them can be a pain. One person scanning is enough.

With that said i can see why it was poorly received, and the complaints, they do some things that leave you asking why.....but like every mario party the critics dont rate it well.

What this game did for me like typical mario partys is provide a fantastic fun factor.

This game is still a blast if you have some friends (and women/girlfriends love it) to play with, have a few drinks, and enjoy a relaxing game. Or if you have children i am sure they will love it to. Its a fun novelty and critic reviews cant always grasp that.

Its amazing i am 29, i have converted more people to wii u then I have to ps4 or xbox one, so many people just enjoy fun relaxing games at my age. I own a htpc, ps4 and a xbox one, but the wii u still offers that special something. The magic of playing with people not over the internet, but in person.
tampabuc likes this.
post #1553 of 1560 Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For Mario Party 10, I believe you need at least one amiibo to launch the amiibo party game option. Once inside the amiibo party game, other players can play without amiibos, but where the amiibo players appear as their 3D models in the game, the non-amiibo players look like classic cardboard cutout boardgame pieces on plastic insert stands. It's not a game changer in any way. However, the amiibo players can throw the dice by placing their amiibo on the gamepad to start the dice spinning and lifting the amiibo to throw them.

I played Mario Party 10 with my 8 year-old son a few times this weekend. It's the first Mario Party game I've ever played. Even my wife got in on it a couple of times. We tried all three modes (amiibo party, Bowser party, and Mario party) and I found it to be a lot of fun. I really liked the dynamic board game feel and most of the minigames were clever.

After the first game we realized that your running score during the game really doesn't matter much. While you may feel like you're falling hopelessly behind, the game can turn around quickly. Even when something seems horribly unfair or extreme (like the Boo stealing your stars every turn), you're never out of the game and you will most likely bounce right back soon enough.

My son LOVED playing as Bowser in the Bowser party. His excitement was barely contained when it was his turn to try to stomp on us . I have to say that a couple of those minigames were really brutal and could easily wipe out most of the team, but the game offered quite a few opportunities to restore the team to keep the game going.

We the badminton game included among the bonus games was a lot of fun too.

I bought a bunch of the Super Mario Bros amiibos to play with this game. I thought it gave the game more of a boardgame feel when placing your piece on the gamepad. However, this only works in amiibo party. For the other modes you're just using the wiimotes. Yes, make sure you have working wiimotes because the Wii Pro controllers do not work with this game. Also, be prepared to break out your wii sensor bar as a few elements in the game require pointing. Fortunately I had an old wireless sensor bar sitting around because the wired one probably wouldn't reach in my current setup.

Those amiibos are a bit of a pain though. Not being able to leave them on a base like Skylanders or Disney Infinity means repeatedly touching and lifting the amiibos from the gamepad, and following directions on the screen. A number of times we had corrupted data and the amiibos had to be restored. It's a simple harmless process (nothing is lost), but it can be tedious and disruptive... especially for the younger ones who don't really understand what's going on. I'm guessing it's because occasionally the amiibo isn't held properly on the gamepad during a write or it's accidentally lifted too soon.
Dashboard likes this.
post #1554 of 1560 Old 03-23-2015, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 80
^ I need to pick Mario Party. Last one I played was on the N64.

I just hate the fact that everyone moves at the same time and there is not different paths you can take... less strategies involved
post #1555 of 1560 Old 03-27-2015, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I have an extra Wii Fit registration code. It's pretty old, but should still work (my other one did) and is worth 100 points. If you use it, please post so that others don't bother.

Quote:
HYF-L3DS-K48C-2AP
Leo_Ames and Dashboard like this.
post #1556 of 1560 Old 03-27-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post
I have an extra Wii Fit registration code. It's pretty old, but should still work (my other one did) and is worth 100 points. If you use it, please post so that others don't bother.
Took it. Thx I was missing 70 coins for a reward!
post #1557 of 1560 Unread 03-27-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder when we'll find out what the gold/platinum rewards will be? Hoping to get another decent download out of this before it closes for good, thanks to reaching gold status.

I didn't have quite enough to reach Platinum this year. Missed it by 150 points, thanks to some old Wii codes of mine like Super Mario Galaxy 2 that I was holding in reserve having expired, which I didn't realize would happen for the life of Club Nintendo.

Dragged my feet in joining for years (And lost out on dozens of opportunities with my Wii downloads thanks to that). And when I did join, should've been entering the oldest codes first, I guess. Instead, I was using my old Wii and DS codes to bump me up to platinum at the end of each year.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 03-27-2015 at 04:16 PM.
post #1558 of 1560 Unread 03-27-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

A Zelda U delay has, for all intents and purposes, been confirmed by its producer by stating that releasing it in 2015 is no longer the priority. They wouldn't be leaving the door open for it slipping to 2016 if there wasn't the best of chances that they're going to need that extra time.

Happily, my Wii and Wii U backlog remains substantial so it's only to my benefit. But stinks for many fans and Nintendo themselves. Zelda will again all but certainly be their console's swan song for the third generation in a row. Twilight Princess was at the end of the GameCube's life cycle (Ported to the Wii for its launch, but a GCN title at its heart), Skyward Sword was Nintendo's last major in-house project for the Wii, and now this.

And not only will Zelda again not do much to grow the Wii U by being such a late arrival, but they're faced without anything that appears to be a major AAA 1st party release in the current slate of announced titles for the Wii U. Just smaller, more modest projects like Mario Maker compared to titles like Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Brothers last year.

Hopefully they put their full marketing muscle behind Xenoblade Chronicles X, instead of treating it as the red headed stepchild like they did the first time.
post #1559 of 1560 Unread 03-27-2015, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post
^ I need to pick Mario Party. Last one I played was on the N64.
Oh gah the first Mario Party game left blisters in the middle of my palm from having to roll the joystick in a circle as fastly as possible in so many of the mini games

As for the Zelda Wii U delay, that's a bummer but if you've got a 3DS you have plenty to do even with the slowdown in First Party Wii U games. I still need to pick up a New 3DS for the better 3D viewing angles, losing the effect was taking me out of games, but when it was in the sweet spot in was brilliant

Looking forward to Mario Maker. The 1st DLC pack for Mario Kart U was a nice addition, as will be the next when it drops. Wish they had some DLC levels for Super Mario 3D World to tide us over...

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #1560 of 1560 Unread Today, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm looking forward to Mario Maker and Yarn Yoshi, out of the currently announced slate.

I'd also love to end up wanting Star Fox U, but doubt it. I only really ever liked the original. Even the well received sequel on the Nintendo 64 didn't grab me. And since then, nothing has seemed worth even trying (Although I do have Star Fox Adventures, a Zelda clone from Rare with Star Fox branding, that I'll try someday).

It's a long shot, but I'm hoping that they will be so desperate for releases with the loss of Zelda U, that Nintendo of America will finally give Fatal Frame a chance and will localize the Wii U iteration that remains a Japanese exclusive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page