Official Wii U discussion thread. - Page 53 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 62Likes
post #1561 of 1577 Unread 03-31-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Nintendo Direct tomorrow, along with the final gold and elite rewards for Club Nintendo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1577 Unread 04-01-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Dammit, I tried to log onto Club Nintendo last night and redeem about 10 games' worth of codes I'd been hoarding, but the site was down. It'd be nice if Nintendo extended the deadline in light of that but eh, there's not a whole lot I wanted to spend the points on anyway. That's what I get for procrastinating, but the thought of sitting there and filling out all those surveys had been filling me with dread.
post #1563 of 1577 Unread 04-01-2015, 09:34 AM

Liked: 10
Finally pulling the trigger on a Wii U. Going to get the referb direct from Nintendo. Picked up a game using all the club nintendo points that my 3DS and games have earned me.
post #1564 of 1577 Unread 04-01-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Pretty boring Nintendo Direct so far (They seem more concerned with selling their figurines these days, than actual games), but Mario Maker confirmed for September.

I'm concerned though that they won't ship it with a full slate of Nintendo made levels, and that we'll only be able to share single levels online.

Looking forward to Yarn Yoshi.

Edit: DS and N64 reconfirmed finally, with Yoshi's Island DS and Super Mario 64 available after the broadcast.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 04-05-2015 at 05:11 PM.
post #1565 of 1577 Unread 04-01-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Fatal Frame U confirmed for North America.

post #1566 of 1577 Unread 04-02-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
I'm pretty excited about the surprise Lucas reveal for Smash DLC, he was my dude in Brawl.
post #1567 of 1577 Unread 04-02-2015, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've got 930 coins to spend and Platinum status. The only things that seemed to interest me were possibly Wii Party U, Star Fox 3D, and maybe Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. I figure I'll go with Wii Party U since that can be used by everyone on the Wii U -- the 3DS titles will be digitally locked to whichever 3DS we use it on. The only thing is that I'll be left with 80 useless coins whereas I could probably get something for 700 and another for 200 going the 3DS route.

For the platinum status, I think Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze seems to be the best choice for me. Again, I think something for the Wii U would be better than getting a title locked to one 3DS. I think I already have all of the other non-retro Wii U titles being offered.

Think these are decent choices among the bunch?

Don't even bother trying to claim anything today. The site is being choked. I can get to the point where I finalize my reward claim but then I get a new page with an empty inside border and the claim never completes (I still have all my coins and it still says I should choose a Platinum status gift).

Although I only joined Nintendo Club a few months ago, it seemed to me that it didn't make sense registering all your games at once in the past. I suppose it was best to register enough to reach elite status, then hold on to everything else for the following year. Didn't seem like a well thought-out reward system.
post #1568 of 1577 Unread 04-09-2015, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone ever play any of the Call of Duty titles on the Wii?

Wondering if the Wii iteration of Black Ops would be worthwhile, since I have the sequel on the Wii U. Stuck with the 360 for the WWII releases and the PS3 for the Modern Warfare titles, and I'll switch to buying on the PS4 one of these days for newer releases.

But I'm interested in acquiring the Wii iteration of this one for something a little different, if it's not too jarring of a downgrade for someone that still enjoys many games at this resolution. I'd only be playing the single player campaign.

But if it suffers too greatly, I'll go with the 360 or PS3 for it.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 04-09-2015 at 11:09 PM.
post #1569 of 1577 Unread 04-11-2015, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Been playing a lot of Super Mario 3D World recently.

Been wondering how well it worked with the Pro Controller, so I fired it up tonight with it instead of the gamepad. I had read that the Pro Controller couldn't be used in the Captain Toad levels of Super Mario 3D World (Which I don't really understand why), but assumed it worked fine for all the main levels themselves.

I immediately went to level 2-2, one I was curious how well it worked with this since with the gamepad, you have to activate platforms by touching them on the screen. Didn't take long to get my answer on how Nintendo handled this.

It simply doesn't work with such a level. While it wasn't a surprise since I didn't see how they were going to adapt it to a different controller with wholesale changes, I hate when they use a gimmick just for the sake of using a gimmick. This really doesn't add anything to that level, it just takes away from it since you can't use other controller options.

I don't mind the blowing gimmick, which I assume works with the Pro Controller, although it's a bit over sensitive at times which can be dangerous when the system thinks you blew into the mic when you really didn't. It's sort of clever and fun for the first times you use it.

But this one more feels like they just wanted some sort of touch control, without regard to what it really contributes.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 04-11-2015 at 07:47 PM.
post #1570 of 1577 Unread 04-12-2015, 07:49 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
hi guys, quick question.

I am thinking of getting the Wii U for the kids. I wanted to know if it would fit in my room properly.

I have a rectangular game room (see my pics link in my signature for more room details). On the very far rear end (left side), I have my audio rack which has my receiver, ps4, blu ray player, etc. and on the other end of the room (far right), I have my tv hanging on the wall. I have a very long hdmi cable that goes from the tv to the receiver via the attic. For my PS4, it works out perfectly. I can use the wireless PS4 controllers and I have no issues. I just switch the tv to hdmi input and change the input on my receiver to the hdmi input that the ps4 has and all is well.. I get sound and video.

I believe I can do the same thing with the wii U Console. I hook up the hdmi from the wii U console to one of the free hdmi inputs on the receiver and just change the input on the receiver and I am good to go while the tv is on hdmi input.

My question is what about the sensor bar? Since my tv is very far (greater than 30 feet) from where the wii console would be, should I get a wireless wii U sensor? If so, how are they and which one do you recommend?

What about the distance for the wii U controllers? Can they operate like my PS4 wireless controllers where the main console is behind them?

Anything else that I need to think of since the wii U console will be very far from the tv?

Thanks in advance.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.

Last edited by HPQ; 04-12-2015 at 08:27 AM.
post #1571 of 1577 Unread 04-12-2015, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I see an officially licensed wireless sensor bar at Wal-Mart. I believe it's this one.

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/...nsor-bar/75732

It shouldn't pose any issues with your controllers, with the console being in the same room. 30' is pushing it in some situations (Nintendo says 26'), but it should only be a problem if it's not in the same room. Console being behind you should make virtually no difference.

Under the right conditions, people can go as far as 100' away. I can go more than 30' away with several walls in the way, before I start losing the connection. 26' is a conservative maximum, for worst case scenarios.

Wii remotes are good for just about the same distance from the console or more, and about 15' from the sensor bar (Before it starts having difficulty making out the IR light array of the sensor bar).

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 04-12-2015 at 08:40 PM.
post #1572 of 1577 Unread 04-13-2015, 04:01 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Great. Thanks for the details on the wireless sensor bar. I will take a look.

So, overall, looks like I should be ok with the Wii U console in the back of the room and the TV in the front.

With the Wii U controller in the middle of the room, should be enough to get the signal without any issues.

Since the Wii U console comes with one controller, I need to get another controller. Should I also get a dual charging dock?

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #1573 of 1577 Unread 04-13-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

You can only use one Wii U gamepad. So the included charging dock will suffice for that.

The question you're going to have to ask yourself first is what sort of additional controllers do you want? You have two primary options here to fill out a game in local multiplayer or as alternate controller choices for yourself.

They're the Wii U Pro Controller, supported by much of the Wii U software lineup.

And the classic Wii remote and nunchuck combination, also supported by many games.

Sadly, they're not perfect substitutions for each other. For the primary difference, if a game depends on motion and the other unique functions of the Wii remote, it probably isn't going to support the Pro Controller as well.

The two big examples here that come to mind are Nintendoland and Wii Sports Club, two of the Wii U's most popular local multiplayer offerings which both depend on the Motion Plus features that Nintendo eventually introduced to their Wii remote design. And of course, only Wii remotes can work in backwards compatibility mode with Wii software. And not all Pro Controller enabled software can make use of a Wiimote and nunchuck combination as well.

Charging Pro Controllers is a bit of a pain. It takes about 4 hours (Although you're good for 80 hours or so of use afterwards) and Nintendo highly recommends that you only charge it via USB connection to the Wii U. The crux is that the Wii U itself must be powered on to charge it. Nyko has made a well received dual charging dock for charging two Pro Controllers simultaneously from a wall outlet. Looks odd, but I've read good things.

And Nintendo fairly recently finally introduced a first party charger for Wii remotes, available from their online store. Additional batteries can be bought separately. Never had much luck with 3rd party solutions here, but this one should work well.

Lastly, if you're going to be playing Wii software here, you may want to consider a controller to plug into your Wiimote for compatible software (A fair number of Wii U games also support Wii Classic Controllers, including all Virtual Console titles outside of DS games).

The original Classic Controller and the follow-on Classic Controller Pro are out of print (And beware of counterfeits with these, Wii remotes & nunchucks, and Wii U Pro Controllers), but there are two officially licensed Classic Controller equivalents currently available that are styled after GameCube controllers.

I've had good luck with the Hori design.

PDP also makes one, but they don't have a good reputation like Hori does and it even looks of lesser quality. They also haven't reviewed as well, and lack the turbo feature of the Hori option. I do though like that the right analog stick matches the left; not many seemed thrilled with the way Nintendo originally handled that on the GCN (Which Hori copied with their design).

There are a lot of other Classic Controller equivalents out there as well, some licensed, others unlicensed (The Wii is the last console that doesn't lock out unauthorized accessories). The Hori Wii arcade stick is an example of the former. It lacks the analog sticks, but is just a Classic Controller as far as the Wii or Wii U is concerned.
TeflonSoul and dandiego like this.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 04-15-2015 at 06:16 AM.
post #1574 of 1577 Unread 04-13-2015, 05:16 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

wow. Thanks for the details. So, the Wii U gamepad with the screen that comes with the console can only be used by one player and if you have another player that person can't use a different Wii U gamepad with the screen. They have to use one of the other items?

Since I have 2 kids and they will fight over the gamepad, is the gamepad necessary then? Can I get two regular controllers like you mentioned above and use them instead or you have to use the gamepad at a mimimum?

post #1575 of 1577 Unread 04-13-2015, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Correct, only one Wii U gamepad to a console.

They don't even sell them separately, so if dual gamepad support ever came about (It's technically possible, although the video streams would have to be halved to 30 fps they've said), you couldn't even buy a 2nd controller in stores today as it stands. Just too expensive of an accessory for many to ever purchase a pair of them (The standard repair fee the last I saw on out of warranty gamepad repairs is $90, to give you an idea).

Many games will let you all play with different controllers. But with some, someone has to use the gamepad. Especially if it's a title featuring what they've labeled as asynchronous multiplayer, where the person with the gamepad is doing something different than the other players with Wii controllers.

Nintendoland is the best example of that concept. The Luigi's Ghost Mansion minigame is a perfect illustration where the gamepad player is the ghost and has their own screen thanks to the gamepad, while the other players with Wii remotes (Up to four) have to hunt down the ghost (that all the while is hunting down the ghost hunters).

And at least one title uses the gamepad as a supplement for everyone, and that's the golf minigame in Wii Sports Club. You lay the gamepad on the floor, and use it to help line up your shot.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 04-13-2015 at 07:47 PM.
post #1576 of 1577 Unread 04-13-2015, 08:23 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Thanks for the insight. Appreciate it.

post #1577 of 1577 Unread Today, 08:01 PM

Liked: 14
Well I finally broke down and bought a Wii U today. I needed a Mario fix. I have a couple nephews that should enjoy the system as well. Looking forward to getting a few fun MP games
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U