Official Wii U discussion thread. - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #1591 of 1614 Old 05-22-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 244
While there's a couple of momentary and extremely minor technical issues that stand out in what's otherwise such perfection, and I was very slightly annoyed that Super Mario 3D World mandates the gamepad at times, I think I've found my first real problem with this game.

Some of these levels in World Flower have pretty restrictive timers. I really, really, hate that. I like to have the freedom to explore, or at least face something more concrete like a rising flood of poison that keeps me rushing forward.

I don't much like seeing the timer itself used as a tool to inflate the difficulty. A little bit is okay like in New Super Luigi U where you're forced to not dilly dally but at least have some spare seconds to play with on your way to the end flag, but they're taking it to a pretty extreme level here.

Glad it at least only seems to be 3 or 4 of these levels, instead of all 12 in this world.

Please tell me that Champion's Road doesn't have a strict time limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1614 Old 05-22-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 74
No, Champion's Road only has a sanity limit.
post #1593 of 1614 Old 05-22-2015, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post
No, Champion's Road only has a sanity limit.
LOL so true. I stopped trying months ago.

Panasonic 50" Plasma 3D Smart TV

Panasonic Blu-Ray 3D Smart Player

Built HTPC/Gaming PC (i7 860, SSD, GTX 660 Ti+), Xbox 360, Wii, N64, NES

Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

post #1594 of 1614 Old 05-30-2015, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The timer in some of these final levels is aggravating.

Boss fights are my least favorite aspect of these games so a boss rush is bad enough to wrap up World Flower. But to put a strict timer on it just makes it all the more annoying.

Just about have it mastered, so hopefully I'll get it next time. Just that is standing between me and reaching the final extra world with Champion's Road.

I cheated and looked up a video of Champion's Road (My curiosity got the best of me). I think I can reasonably accomplish this.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 05-31-2015 at 11:00 AM.
post #1595 of 1614 Old 05-31-2015, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

lol

I finally reached Champion's Road. My visions of miraculously finishing it on my first attempt didn't take long to be dashed.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...eshop_in_japan

Japan just got Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii U eShop. While I don't care since I own what I want on disc, I wonder why nothing further has happened in North America since Wii downloads were launched back in January.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ames_for_Wii_U

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 05-31-2015 at 04:21 PM.
post #1596 of 1614 Old 06-01-2015, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Haha, I don't even know what my reaction would be if you managed to beat Champion's Road on the first try. It would be somewhere between murdering you and worshipping you as my god.
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #1597 of 1614 Old 06-04-2015, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

That was frustrating.

I've got the early sections mastered through the magikoopas or whatever they're called. Did poorly on the wall jumping section despite it looking easy on YouTube, so I switched out one of Tanooki suits for a cat suit on my next try, which makes that part easy.

Jumping off the piranha plants and the water part is easy enough and there I was with the laser rings and boost pads for the first time. Did this pretty darn well I thought but due to stupid mistakes in this run, I was only small Mario when I reached it.

I had everything collected and was heading to the warp that leads to the neon sign and the end flag. But five feet away from it, I got nailed by a laser ring and died.

The part with the swings is probably my worst section now. If I can just survive that and reach the end section as Tanooki or Cat Mario so that I can survive two hits from the lasers, the final bit will be easy.

Been quitting out to keep my powerups, but I've probably killed 50 Mario's so far on this (And I still have the 30 star Mystery House left, too). But I think I see light at the end of the tunnel.

I just hope I don't screw up the flag when I do, and fail to get a golden flag.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 06-04-2015 at 07:02 PM.
post #1598 of 1614 Old 06-05-2015, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Success

All in all, not too bad. Three hours or so spent on Champions Road and around ~50 Mario's had to be sacrificed. Even managed to reach the top of the flagpole, despite not having a powerup to basically guarantee it.

There's just enough space on the top level of the stepped platform before the flag, where you can run in a circle and reach running speed before doing a long-jump to the flag pole.

Still got that Mystery House left, but it shouldn't be an issue. 43 hours or so were spent, and about 525 Mario's were lost to get here.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 06-05-2015 at 12:50 AM.
post #1599 of 1614 Old 06-05-2015, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
Success

All in all, not too bad. Three hours or so spent on Champions Road and around ~50 Mario's had to be sacrificed. Even managed to reach the top of the flagpole, despite not having a powerup to basically guarantee it.

There's just enough space on the top level of the stepped platform before the flag, where you can run in a circle and reach running speed before doing a long-jump to the flag pole.

Still got that Mystery House left, but it shouldn't be an issue. 43 hours or so were spent, and about 525 Mario's were lost to get here.

Man you're wayyyyy better at that game than me. I didn't even make it to Champion's Road.

PSN ID: javant86
Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
post #1600 of 1614 Old 06-05-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Daaaaaaaamn, congrats! I feel like three hours and 50 lives must be close to a record. Did it get aggravating repeatedly quitting out to keep the power-ups? I decided early on that would just add to my frustration so resolved to do it without any power-ups, and of course failed miserably.
post #1601 of 1614 Old 06-05-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Not as annoying as I thought it would be, thanks to the game loading up pretty quickly.

Playing it via off-screen play while half listening to a tv show in the background helped with the tedium of hitting the home button, closing out the game, and reloading it each time. That trick cuts way down on the time needed to regain your powerups, especially the Tanooki suit (Which makes the disappearing platforms about halfway through this level, basically a non-event).

I never saw Tanooki suits too often, and the level I saw recommended to get a pair of them at is an easy one to die on (Something in World 5, I've forgotten the specific name of it). Not one I wanted to keep returning to all the same to mine powerups.

It's not like the cat suit where you can just play level 1-1 and breeze through it in 90 seconds or so while getting two cat suits, with basically zero threat of dying.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 06-08-2015 at 05:01 PM.
post #1602 of 1614 Old 06-13-2015, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

This last Mystery House in World Crown gave me as much trouble as Champion's Road.

Nothing at all difficult about each individual component, but you don't have more than a couple of seconds to spare for each green star. And when you have to string together 30 of them, it's extremely easy for a mistake to catch you out.

But I finally did it tonight, just barely (I should've died on the 28th green star; Wish this had a replay system for close moments like that one).

So it's officially done, minus replaying the game with the other four characters. I've already done World 1 as Peach, but my heart's not in it, just yet.

Going to shelve it for now, I think, and move on to the next challenge.
post #1603 of 1614 Old 06-15-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone here still playing Smash? After the absurdly cheap pricing of Mario Kart 8 DLC I kind of cringed at paying ~$18 for three new characters/2 new stages, but all three newbies feel really good to play as and seem really powerful. (Though I may be biased as a Melee Roy player and Brawl Lucas player--and Dreamland was even my go-to stage in 64.) Roy basically feels like an apology for how inferior he was to Marth in Melee, and his new design is awesome. And Ryu might actually be TOO good. I don't really play online, but I'm betting it's like 80% Ryus on there right now.
post #1604 of 1614 Old 06-15-2015, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm not nearly a big enough Smash fan to pay that much for DLC. Even if I played it more I doubt I'd shell out almost $30 (I'd have to have both Wii U and 3DS versions of course). My money can be better spent elsewhere.
post #1605 of 1614 Old 06-15-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The big day is tomorrow.

Looking forward to hopefully some surprises while seeing more of Super Mario Maker (I like the minor modification to the name that they did), Fatal Frame 5, Yoshi's Woolly World, future Mario Kart 8 DLC, etc.

Earthbound Zero, the original NES entry in the series that NOA fully translated back in the day but ultimately never released, appeared today on the Wii U's Virtual Console. While I caution anyone getting their hopes up on something like Earthbound 3 since that would be a pretty expensive translation job, hopefully it signals hope for some easier never released projects finally hitting the Virtual Console in the future.

I'd love to see the UK translated Fatal Frame 2 remake for the Wii or the final F-Zero title for the GBA finally make it West, for examples that appear realistic.
post #1606 of 1614 Old 06-17-2015, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Any word yet on when the new system is coming out? I just got a Wii U a month ago, mostly for my 3-year-old to tinker around with and eventually grow into, and for me and the wife to get a game or 2 of mario kart in a month. I only paid $199 so I'm not too worried, just seeing how much life this thing has left before it is abandoned for the new system, which I wont be getting.
post #1607 of 1614 Old 06-17-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Nothing confirmed, but I wouldn't expect the NX until late 2016 at the very earliest.
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #1608 of 1614 Old 06-17-2015, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Nintendo sure is putting their marketing muscle behind Fatal Frame 5. Not a mention in their E3 Direct, nor in this new Twitter post.

Anyways, here's their new YouTube trailer for it.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 06-17-2015 at 11:04 PM.
post #1609 of 1614 Old 06-18-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 216
I'm thinking about getting a Wii U but have a question.

Can I download MarioKart 64 (the nin 64 version) on the Wii U and play it?

What about Wave Race 64?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #1610 of 1614 Old 06-18-2015, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, both are available via backwards compatibility mode and the original Wii Shop. So you'll need a Wii remote and a Classic Controller or equivalent, since the Wii U gamepad doesn't work in Wii Mode.

With a bit of patience, they will undoubtedly appear in the Wii U's own Virtual Console now that N64 downloads have appeared. Or you can enjoy them via your Wii U's Wii mode right now and just pay the $2 upgrade fee to convert the Wii version to the Wii U version if you wish when the time comes and they appear in the Wii U eShop (Gaining you offscreen play with the Wii U gamepad, save states, etc.).
mrlittlejeans likes this.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 06-19-2015 at 04:41 PM.
post #1611 of 1614 Old 06-18-2015, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
Nintendo sure is putting their marketing muscle behind Fatal Frame 5. Not a mention in their E3 Direct, nor in this new Twitter post.
It appears that at least part of the game involves using the gamepad as a camera to "shoot" the spirits.
post #1612 of 1614 Old 06-18-2015, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, it's one Wii U title that actually looks like it makes clever use of the Wii U gamepad's special capabilities.
post #1613 of 1614 Old 06-21-2015, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was just curious what you guys feel is a more fun multiplayer game with 3 or 4 people. Rayman legends or super mario bros u.

Already have super mario 3d world.

Also is there anyway to search the eshop by multiplayer games, i often use the wii u to play with friends locally, its primarily a machine with friends, but i often have to stumble on multiplayer games by accident (unless its a big release. for example i just found a cheap game art of balance and its pretty fun with friends, but it was difficult to stumble on it.
post #1614 of 1614 Old 06-23-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Fatal Frame 5 possibly is an eShop exclusive in North America.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1068851

While I'll begrudgingly support them if this happens, I'm going to do an awful lot of whining if paying $60 on the eShop is my only option. There are very few franchises where I'd ever even consider such a thing.

Happily, at least I have the storage room for it since I bet I have at least 25 gigs free right now (This will be a ~16 GB download).

Sadly, their idiocy is likely just going to convince them that they were right all along to ignore this franchise.

First, they localize a stupid DS spin-off that stunk, for their first attempt at it instead of one of the Wii games that people actually wanted. And now they're not only going to make sure that both arms are tied behind its back with this release by all but ignoring it, but now they're going to lop them off by making it be an eShop exclusive.

Then, they're going to wonder why the fans that spoke out so much over the years ignored this one...

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 06-24-2015 at 02:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U