Official Wii U discussion thread. - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 75Likes

post #1621 of 1641 Old 09-25-2015, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Would anyone disagree with the price tag right now; I would only be getting for a few games, but if it includes that big tablet thing, how often will I even use that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1641 Old 09-25-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 252
The gamepad despite its size is quite light and comfortable.

And if you look past that touch screen, you have a traditional modern console gamepad. Twin analog sticks, a d-pad, four face buttons, pairs of shoulder buttons and triggers, etc. Everything is here that you're used to being here. The analogs even depress for R3 & L3 functions, although I've yet to ever need it.

The only thing somewhat unconventional here is the digital triggers, but it's not like we have any racing games here that could've put analog to good use. And for everything else, I prefer digital.

That said, touch screen gaming is largely worthless. So Nintendo's attempt to bring that "innovation" to consoles, despite it largely being overlooked on the 3DS now that everyone realizes its inferiority for most tasks, hasn't accomplished much on the console.

But I use it frequently for off-screen play. I like to lean back in bed and basically enjoy my Wii U like I would with a handheld. And on the rare instances where the touch screen is put to use, it usually actually adds to the experience like streamlining inventory control in Wind Waker HD.

And I suspect using it as a camera in the upcoming Fatal Frame 5 is going to be its best use yet.
DaverJ likes this.
post #1623 of 1641 Old 11-10-2015, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

New Nintendo Direct announced for Thursday.

Speculation is that Twilight Princess HD will be announced for release this Christmas season as another interim Zelda just like Wind Waker HD previously was, in place of the original Zelda that was recently delayed and which the Wii U perhaps may now never see.

I'll gladly take it though if it happens, although I hope Zelda U still follows through eventually. This rumored announcement essentially confirms that Zelda U will be a cross-gen release at the very least, just like Twilight Princess originally was back in 2006.

I sure hope the NX maintains Wiimote support so that Skyward Sword HD is possible someday.
post #1624 of 1641 Old 11-10-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 3026
I was cleaning the house over the weekend, and sadly packed up the Wii U and put it in the console graveyard closet -- alongside the 360, PS3, Gamecube, etc..

I had hope for the console, and it gave me some good times, I guess.
s1njin likes this.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
post #1625 of 1641 Old 11-12-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Twilight Princess HD confirmed for a more sensible March 2016 release (Many fans I think were hoping for a Diddy Kong Racing 64 style surprise with it making it out in the next week or two after being announced).

And best of all, Zelda U reconfirmed for Wii U in 2016.

I wonder if TPHD will allow you to play the regular and mirrored versions of the title, with optional Wimote controls.
post #1626 of 1641 Old 11-24-2015, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I was cleaning the house over the weekend, and sadly packed up the Wii U and put it in the console graveyard closet -- alongside the 360, PS3, Gamecube, etc..

I had hope for the console, and it gave me some good times, I guess.
I agree with you. Mine is still up and running but only b/c my 8 and 10 year old still enjoy Mario World. I'm probably going to get them the new Yoshi game, but sadly I view this console as a complete failure.

Shame on me too, b/c I knew about the sparse lineup of quality games going into it. I gambled there would be more content, but for me its too late for Zelda.

Gaming hard from October thru April.
post #1627 of 1641 Old 03-02-2016, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

New Nintendo Direct announced for tomorrow, covering the spring/summer schedule of releases.

And recent news that pleased me was the confirmation that the Nintendo Selects line is being revived. The following titles will be available on March 21st, all for $19.99.

Wii U
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Feeze
NES Remix Pack
Pikmin 3
Super Mario 3D World

3DS
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Mario Party Island Tour
New Yoshi's Island

Wii
Animal Crossing City Folk (A reprinting of a rerelease; This was in the very 1st round back in 2011)
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Galaxy 2

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-selects

I plan to buy five of those, including several that have gotten expensive since going out of print. Could've easily been more, but I already own the three Mario platformers here.

And a well verified source states that a 2nd round of rereleases is planned for this Fall. Not a bad time to be a 3DS/Wii U owner catching up with some good titles that they may have missed out on the first time around.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 03-02-2016 at 04:37 PM.
post #1628 of 1641 Old 03-02-2016, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
New Nintendo Direct announced for tomorrow, covering the spring/summer schedule of releases.

And recent news that pleased me was the confirmation that the Nintendo Selects line is being revived. The following titles will be available on March 21st, all for $19.99.

Wii U
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Feeze
NES Remix Pack
Pikmin 3
Super Mario 3D World

3DS
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Mario Party Island Tour
New Yoshi's Island

Wii
Animal Crossing City Folk (A reprinting of a rerelease; This was in the very 1st round back in 2011)
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Galaxy 2

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-selects

I plan to buy five of those, including several that have gotten expensive since going out of print. Could've easily been more, but I already own the three Mario platformers here.

And a well verified source states that a 2nd round of rereleases is planned for this Fall. Not a bad time to be a 3DS/Wii U owner catching up with some good titles that they may have missed out on the first time around.
SMB All-Stars! Though, I bet it won't have gamepad support if it's a simple Wii port.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #1629 of 1641 Old 03-02-2016, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
SMB All-Stars! Though, I bet it won't have gamepad support if it's a simple Wii port.
Actually, this is just a re-release of the Wii game, not a Wii U game. So no, no gamepad support. (Other than the standard play-on-the-gamepad-in-Wii-mode feature of all Wii games.)
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #1630 of 1641 Old 03-02-2016, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL View Post
Actually, this is just a re-release of the Wii game, not a Wii U game. So no, no gamepad support. (Other than the standard play-on-the-gamepad-in-Wii-mode feature of all Wii games.)
Yeah, that's what I meant. If they don't include gamepad support, I'll not buy. That should be an $8 SNES VC title, but they don't want to cannibalize the NES games. I'd settle for a $20 SNES ROM dump as opposed to the Wii version.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #1631 of 1641 Old 03-03-2016, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

There's a chance you might get that because data miners found a mention of Super Mario All-Stars on the eShop a few months back.

And if it's not a SuperNes release on the Wii U Virtual Console but instead is positioned as a Wii download like Super Mario Galaxy, Classic Controller enabled Wii releases off the Wii U eShop do support offscreen play.

And if Nintendo is smart, there will be a simultaneous eShop release for all four of those Wii classics when the 21st rolls around.

Maybe we'll hear something about it tomorrow.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 03-26-2016 at 04:37 PM.
post #1632 of 1641 Old 03-22-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 153
http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/22/11...-production-nx

Nikkei reports that Wii U will end production at the end of the year.

Edit:
Quote:
Update, 23 March:

Nintendo has denied the claims. A spokesperson for the company told IT Media:

“This isn’t an announcement from our company. From the next quarter and thereafter as well, production [of the Wii U] is scheduled to continue.”

Last edited by Mikazaru; 03-24-2016 at 01:28 AM.
post #1633 of 1641 Old 04-10-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Do external SSD drives work well with the Wii U?

I don't need one now, but with what I'd like to buy eventually for digital exclusives on the Wii U, I'll be out of space.

So a nice 50 GB or so one that doesn't cost a fortune would be perfect if it will work.
post #1634 of 1641 Old 04-10-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
Do external SSD drives work well with the Wii U?

I don't need one now, but with what I'd like to buy eventually for digital exclusives on the Wii U, I'll be out of space.

So a nice 50 GB or so one that doesn't cost a fortune would be perfect if it will work.
I don't personally have an external drive but since the Wii U USB ports are limited to 2.0 speed, an SSD is likely overkill. As you're limited by the USB 2.0 transfer rate I'd recommend either a cheap(er) mechanical drive (with external power or USB y-cable to get enough from the console) or a flash drive (SanDisk Cruzer 64 GB is $16 on Amazon). If you care about maximizing your available space, large external USB drives are pretty cheap ($50-60 for 1 TB). Another option is an SD card in a USB reader.

Some folks will argue against using a flash drive since its read/write lifespan may be limited, but it may work for you. I'd recommend searching around some other forums to get an idea of what people are using. (USB non-SSD hard drives seem to be most common.)
post #1635 of 1641 Old 04-13-2016, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks

The appeal for me with SSD actually isn't for the increased read speeds that the Wii U can't take advantage of anyways, but rather, hopefully enhanced durability.

External hard drives seem too fragile and with the precautions of utilizing flash drives that Nintendo includes in their instructions (And some recent bad luck with a brand new SDHC card failing on me after just a short time), I'm not sure that's the way to go if I want to be able to fire up my Wii U in 10-15 years and still have access to stuff like Fatal Frame 5.
post #1636 of 1641 Old 04-23-2016, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ohh ffs, loaded up star fox and game pad seems fooked, got distant memory of spilling glass of red on it awhile back... Fook! Any ideas? Connected wireless controller but symptoms the same, basically you can't highlight anything, ****

Is there a master reset or anything? Screen unresponsive, can't find stylus but we don't normally need that right? Any help appreciated, new wii cheapest is $299 right? Feck feck feck
post #1637 of 1641 Old 04-23-2016, 07:20 PM

You can buy a replacement gamepad off ebay new or used, seems to go for around $100 used. Just have to sync it to the system. Not sure if Nintendo sells direct replacements but you could call to find out.

There's also a site to initiate a repair; not sure what that costs:

http://en-americas-support.nintendo....-wii-u-gamepad
post #1638 of 1641 Old 04-25-2016, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL View Post
You can buy a replacement gamepad off ebay new or used, seems to go for around $100 used. Just have to sync it to the system. Not sure if Nintendo sells direct replacements but you could call to find out.

There's also a site to initiate a repair; not sure what that costs:

http://en-americas-support.nintendo....-wii-u-gamepad
I don't think Nintendo sells separate gamepads. I recently bought one from ebay for $110 including shipping. It looked brand-new. Synching w/ the console is a breeze.
post #1639 of 1641 Old 04-26-2016, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 385
New Humble Bundle has a bunch of WiiU and 3DS games! with more coming.

https://www.humblebundle.com/friends...tendo-3ds-wiiu

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
post #1640 of 1641 Old 04-27-2016, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Zelda U delayed to next year and is also now confirmed for the NX which has been announced for a March 2017 global launch.

Presumably Zelda U will be one of those launch titles with a Wii U release to follow later on, Twilight Princess style.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 04-27-2016 at 01:54 PM.
post #1641 of 1641 Old 04-27-2016, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 24
March 2016 global launch? So we should all have one by now.
Leo_Ames likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page