Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #181 of 1348 Old 02-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I got the Monster Hunter demo. No tutorial, no button assignments, nothing. Pick your guy, your enemy and you're thrust into the world.

No idea what's going on. You think they'd give you a hint of what the rules are.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1348 Old 02-22-2013, 04:20 AM

Liked: 18
The Monster Hunter Demo is great !!!!
Very addictive gameplay...
I can't wait to play the full game !!!
post #183 of 1348 Old 02-22-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Yeah, I had ZERO clue what was going on in the Monster Hunter demo.
post #184 of 1348 Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 AM

For those of you who don't know what is going on in the MH3U demo,
here is link to a FAQ on NeoGAF that should help (see the OP):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508803
post #185 of 1348 Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

F-zero and pilotwings absolutely BLEW MY MIND as a kid. They're still solid games but they've been surpassed by everything else multiple times over. I already paid $8(!!!) for it on the Wii, for 30c, there's little reason not to get it....but it's value is purely historical and nostalgic.

I didn't get F-Zero until about 2000 or so when it was still available new at many locations since it saw a late rerelease in the Player's Choice line in the late 90's. I still found it a fun game even though I was well into the next generation, was a PC gamer, and the Sega Dreamcast and Playstation 2 were already out with the following console's not far behind.

I didn't buy Pilotwings until I bought it used online from GameStop sometime after they bought out Funcoland. So early 2000's and I had a blast with it despite 10 years having passed. I bought Pilotwings 64 at the same time which is another game that's all too often referenced as a tech demo worth little after a few years had gone by and similarly enjoyed that (F-Zero X was the only one I bought in its prime among these four and oddly enough the only one I didn't like).

I think there's a solid game to be had there today with F-Zero. Witness how similar three followups on the GBA were to this game. I don't think they could've pulled that off in the early to mid 2000's if the Super Nintendo game was too dated.

I think most futuristic racer's since then have been too complicated and too difficult for their own good. This one was just about perfect where the gameplay and challenge were concerned. And the 2D Mode 7 graphics still have their charm and feel more natural than Mode 7 sometimes did, it's fast and runs smoothly without a hint of slowdown, and the music remains excellent.
post #186 of 1348 Old 02-23-2013, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Don't know how else to put this. Seems like these guys actually made a cool Wii U game.

Blows my mind after the lazy ports released so far.

post #187 of 1348 Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Don't know how else to put this. Seems like these guys actually made a cool Wii U game.

Blows my mind after the lazy ports released so far.

They do know that "Like a Rock" is Chevy's slogan, right? (or am I missing the joke)
post #188 of 1348 Old 02-26-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
How Lego City Undercover blows the franchise wide open - and could save the Wii U in the process

Good preview although the title is a bit hyperbolic. It seems to be cleaned up a lot from e3.
Quote:
The city itself matches the game for sheer scale, a shimmering and inviting place, with generous draw distances and silky smooth visuals. It's a gorgeous and massive game.

post #189 of 1348 Old 02-26-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

How Lego City Undercover blows the franchise wide open - and could save the Wii U in the process

Good preview although the title is a bit hyperbolic. It seems to be cleaned up a lot from e3.
This is looking like a lot of fun. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #190 of 1348 Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
I'll pick it up eventually. Just got Fire Emblem and Etrian Odyssey on 3DS so I should be good on games for the next month. Then I will have Dark Arisen on PS3 in April.

I do plan on getting LC:U and NfS:MW, just not sure if I will get them at launch...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #191 of 1348 Old 02-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

I got Bit Trip Runner 2 and it's amazing. I had to stop playing or I'd get carried away. Branching paths to different stages, alternate exits, optional challenges, it's great. Well worth the $15 if you enjoyed the first.

I thought the graphics in the screenshots were weird but they're so much better in motion.

post #192 of 1348 Old 02-27-2013, 06:40 AM

Liked: 10
Wii U Sound question

First, I apologize if this has been answered or is in the wrong area.

Here is my problem. When I go into Wii mode to play my old wii games, I get a very choppy sound. I found a work around by pluging my old wii connector in along with the HDMI connector. I assume this worked because the sound now went through the AV plugs. Now I have a new problem for this work around. I purchased a new TV that does not have AV inputs. How can I get the sound to work in wii mode? The work around was fine but should never have been necessary.

Thanks
post #193 of 1348 Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer382 View Post

Wii U Sound question

First, I apologize if this has been answered or is in the wrong area.

Here is my problem. When I go into Wii mode to play my old wii games, I get a very choppy sound. I found a work around by pluging my old wii connector in along with the HDMI connector. I assume this worked because the sound now went through the AV plugs. Now I have a new problem for this work around. I purchased a new TV that does not have AV inputs. How can I get the sound to work in wii mode? The work around was fine but should never have been necessary.

Thanks

All I can say is that I have so far played through Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy, other Wii games, and am now 20+ hours into Xenoblade all playing them on my Wii U in Wii mode. (I never owned a Wii.)

I connect my Wii U to my Denon AVR via HDMI and I have never had any "choppy sound".

It is either a flaw in your setup. Do you get choppy sound in other inputs hooked up to the same HDMI port with the same HDMI cable?
Or otherwise you might have a defective Wii U. In which case you could call Nintendo to ask them about it, and try to get a replacement while it is still under warranty...
post #194 of 1348 Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfD View Post

All I can say is that I have so far played through Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy, other Wii games, and am now 20+ hours into Xenoblade all playing them on my Wii U in Wii mode. (I never owned a Wii.)

I connect my Wii U to my Denon AVR via HDMI and I have never had any "choppy sound".

It is either a flaw in your setup. Do you get choppy sound in other inputs hooked up to the same HDMI port with the same HDMI cable?
Or otherwise you might have a defective Wii U. In which case you could call Nintendo to ask them about it, and try to get a replacement while it is still under warranty...

The sound in Wii U mode works fine through the HDMI. It did not work through the HDMI when in wii mode. I guess I did not try wii mode last night after hooking up the new TV. It could possible be a problem with the HDMI port of the old TV, doubtful though. I will mess with it tonight to see if the new setup works correctly. If not, I will have to call Nintendo.
post #195 of 1348 Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 PM

I want to play Kung Fu from the NES days again on my Wii U.
I wish Nintendo would bring that game to the virtual console...
post #196 of 1348 Old 02-27-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I want to play Kung Fu from the NES days again on my Wii U.
I wish Nintendo would bring that game to the virtual console...

I feel the same about Metal Storm on the NES.

I also wish Megaman 64 (Legends 1) would come to the VC.

Emulators help as do imports (Megaman Legends 1&2 PSP ports ftw) but proper localization and getting some of the rare gems onto the VC would be so much better.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #197 of 1348 Old 02-28-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:

All I can say is that I have so far played through Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy, other Wii games, and am now 20+ hours into Xenoblade all playing themon my Wii U in Wii mode. (I never owned a Wii.)

Can you please confirm that you do not need to have a Wii hooked up to the Wii U to play Wii games? I thought I read a review (CNET maybe?) that you needed to go that route in order to play the Wii games. I traded in my Wii before reading that review and had a "Doh!" moment. But now I saw this post about a "Wii mode." What is that? Thanks.
post #198 of 1348 Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgate7 View Post

Can you please confirm that you do not need to have a Wii hooked up to the Wii U to play Wii games? I thought I read a review (CNET maybe?) that you needed to go that route in order to play the Wii games. I traded in my Wii before reading that review and had a "Doh!" moment. But now I saw this post about a "Wii mode." What is that? Thanks.

No, you do not need a wii hooked up. there is a seperate menu on the wii U that will take you into wii mode.
post #199 of 1348 Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:

No need to have a Wii system. But you do need to have a Wii mote to enter Wii mode on your Wii U. Also Wii mode on the Wii U only works with original Wii controllers. Wii mode is essentially like running your original Wii system within your Wii U console. Wii mode only works with Wii accessories. I never owned a Wii but I have played several Wii games on my Wii U.
post #200 of 1348 Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 AM

Boomer382 and ProfD, thanks for the replies.

It's good to know I won't have to re-purchase a wii, but it looks like i'll need to pick up a sensor bar.

While in Wii mode, will the wii games appear in their original standard definition state or is there some upconversion that takes place?
post #201 of 1348 Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 AM

The Wii U comes with a sensor bar in the box. No need to rebuy one.
It also outputs in 1080p via HDMI.
People have checked that even in Wii mode the output signal is 1080p.
So there is some minor up conversion going on, but it is honestly not that much.
To my eyes, Xenoblade looks incredible playing it this way on my 50" Panasonic UT50.
post #202 of 1348 Old 02-28-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

You could get a Wii Pro U controller (looks like a Snes pad meets a Wii U pro controller) It has a Wii Remote and classic controller built into one. (you still need a Wii Remote and Nunchuk to play games that require both) but for $25 they are pretty handy for games like Xenoblade that use the classic controller. (and for VC games)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #203 of 1348 Old 02-28-2013, 10:01 AM

I have a Wii CCP controller that plugs into the Wii mote. This is what I use for Xenoblade.
As I understand it, the Wii U Pro controller does not work in Wii mode.
Only Wii controllers work in Wii mode. Wii mote works in both.
post #204 of 1348 Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:

The Wii U comes with a sensor bar in the box. No need to rebuy one.
It also outputs in 1080p via HDMI.
People have checked that even in Wii mode the output signal is 1080p.
So there is some minor up conversion going on, but it is honestly not that much.
To my eyes, Xenoblade looks incredible playing it this way on my 50" Panasonic UT50.

Great - thank you.
post #205 of 1348 Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 AM

Can anyone comment on the streaminig capabilities of the Wii U?

Like everyone else, I'll use it mostly for gaming. But they have - at least to some extent - touted that it can be used as an entertainment center. So it'd be nice if the apps were worthwile. Other than the fairly standard Netflix and Amazon apps, are there any others included? Also, with respect to the Amazon app, does anyone know if it supports 5.1 audio? I have apps with my panny plasma and blu ray player, but neither has a version of the Amazon app that supports 5.1.

Thanks in advance.
post #206 of 1348 Old 02-28-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Can anyone comment on the streaminig capabilities of the Wii U?

Like everyone else, I'll use it mostly for gaming. But they have - at least to some extent - touted that it can be used as an entertainment center. So it'd be nice if the apps were worthwile. Other than the fairly standard Netflix and Amazon apps, are there any others included? Also, with respect to the Amazon app, does anyone know if it supports 5.1 audio? I have apps with my panny plasma and blu ray player, but neither has a version of the Amazon app that supports 5.1.

Thanks in advance.

I only have used mine for gaming so far, so I can't comment.
post #207 of 1348 Old 02-28-2013, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Netflix, Amazon, Hulu Plus & Youtube all have apps. I use the browser to look at youtube, though, much better than the app.
I only use Netflix and it's basically the same as on any other platform.

post #208 of 1348 Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a Wii CCP controller that plugs into the Wii mote. This is what I use for Xenoblade.
As I understand it, the Wii U Pro controller does not work in Wii mode.
Only Wii controllers work in Wii mode. Wii mote works in both.

The Wii Pro U is a Wii controller. It has the U in the name to trick people, but it is a pretty solid classic controller and it is great for NSMB for a proper controller grip. The built in Wii Remote pointer is also nice.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #209 of 1348 Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The Wii Pro U is a Wii controller. It has the U in the name to trick people, but it is a pretty solid classic controller and it is great for NSMB for a proper controller grip. The built in Wii Remote pointer is also nice.

You mean this controller?

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Controller-Wii-Nintendo-U-6304900/dp/B009D4JW3U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1362100544&sr=8-5&keywords=wii+pro+u

I have had bad luck buying third party controllers in the past... do you use this one yourself?
post #210 of 1348 Old 02-28-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the Super Famicom print version.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009O3WU2A/ref=mw_dp_sim_ps2?pi=SY125

I haven't used it much yet due to other games but I will be using it for Pandora's Tower. It has analog dead zones making it worthless for shooters. The L3R3 buttons are remaps of other buttons on the controller. It is very comfortable and has a built in rechargable battery. One of the better Third Party controllers so long as you know what you are buying.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Wii U

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page