Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I think 3D overworlds are just tough to do, it seems tough to strike that balance between expansive and being filled with stuff to do.

As for the new 3DS game, you know there's going to be at least two overworlds. You don't revisit the LTTP world without going back to the Dark World, I mean it's right there in the game's logo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

The first print run is a limited edition that comes with extra stuff like posters and a CD right? Not much interest to me but yeah I get it man. biggrin.gif

My copy arrived, not sure if I want to keep it sealed or not... (not gonna get around to it for a while.)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

http://club2.nintendo.com/30/

$30 eshop credit deal for registering SMT4 and FE:A on your club Nintendo account. (Can be used for Wii U or 3DS)

An added bonus is that past registrations of Fire Emblem will go towards it!

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 07-15-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

That is super tempting especially as I already own FE...but I'm completely unfamiliar with the SMT series. Anyone here have any strong opinions on it?
Old 07-16-2013, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The reviews are good.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/shin-megami-tensei-iv

The downside is I have no intent of buying carts again and the digital version is still $50. It's getting to the point where I'll have wayyy too many games and I still spend a small amount of time playing. Stupid deals.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

Old 07-16-2013, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Buy the cart then resell it after getting the code.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 07-18-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/18/mega-man-xtreme-1-and-2-coming-to-3ds-virtual-console-in-the-west/

This makes me very happy, almost all of my favorite GBC games are on the service now.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I don't actually use my (original) 3DS too often these days, but now that there's officially an all-black 3DS XL (Aug 11), it's actually just a little tempting:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/30/4570772/nintendo-launching-black-3ds-xl-aug-11

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

It's funny, I really haven't used my 3DS for much outside of Streetpass and the occasional Mario/Layton/Pushmo game for most of the time I've owned it. But ever since Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing I seem to play it all day. I plan on picking up SMT and/or Project X Zone in the near future too, so I imagine I'll only play it more. I never would've considered bothering upgrading to the XL before, but after playing it so much the battery/comfort limitations of the original 3DS are really starting to show. I think if I can find the black model for around $160, I will bite.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

That all black XL is tempting, but I will probably stick with my blue XL.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 08-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Streetpass relay is out, already got 2 hits

Old 08-11-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I gave in. I was playing the new Mario & Luigi for a few hours this morning, and similar to ThisOneKidMongo, the comfort issues (mostly of it being so small that I have to bend my wrists at awkward angles) were getting to be annoying after a while. Since the new version happened to be released on a tax holiday in MA, it made it an easier decision, and I'll be picking it up from Best Buy shortly.

Even though I don't play the system often, I decided I'd rather it be comfortable for those times that I do.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Waaaait jhoff the 3DS XL is $170 at Target this week.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that, I saw that post right before I left and got Best Buy to price match (well, the Target ad I found was for $175 so they matched that), plus I got a free hard case that I'll never use.

I needed to go to BB to return something else anyway though, so it worked out well. biggrin.gif

Anyway, I already knew it would from trying it in stores in the past, but the XL does fit much better in my hands... and while I had seen how much larger the screens are, it's kind of shocking seeing it again.

I did confuse myself though, because I hadn't realized that there was like a notch between 3D off and the lowest setting. I was confused why it looked so blurry until I finally realized about the switch.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

I got the Mario & Luigi demo. That game would be great if I didnt suck at every combat minigame. The graphics are also really impressive.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I wish Nintendo would release something along the lines of the Game Boy Player for the Wii U so that 3DS games could be enjoyed on HDTV's.

Seems a shame for great games to be relegated to the small screen no matter how nice modern handheld screens are.
JoshuaL likes this.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

I got the Mario & Luigi demo. That game would be great if I didnt suck at every combat minigame. The graphics are also really impressive.

The demo has sold me and I am not even through part one of it, it feels just like the GBA original that I love. (One of my favorite GBA games) The 3D graphics also look just like 2D art, which is very impressive. I'll be picking it up in a few days.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 08-11-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I actually was looking more forward to Paper Mario Sticker Star, but never ended up getting drawn into that one. I also have loved the Mario & Luigi series, (and why doesn't Nintendo ever think to release the old GBA versions on the Virtual Console as a marketing thing? Seems like an easy thing to do), but for some reason this sequel had fallen off my radar until a couple days ago. Really loving it so far though.

This one starts out pretty slow too, but I'm enjoying it more already. I think the biggest problem here is that both games start off way too easy before ramping up into actually interesting battles/combat (which admittedly, has been part of Nintendo's problem for a while now).

And also, I haven't been using 3D effects lately, but I turned it on on the new XL for a while, and I find that M&L has some great subtle effects like the blocks turning when you enter battle.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I finished every part of the demo, it is a must buy.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

For some reason the Mario & Luigi RPGs (and the Paper Mario series) have just never done anything for me. Maybe it's just lingering bitterness from wanting more of the Super NES Super Mario RPG instead. I'm guessing the newest version would do nothing to change my mind.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't gotten far into each game, but they seem the same to me. Mario & Luigi series is even called Mario & Luigi RPG in Japan.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

I wish Nintendo would release something along the lines of the Game Boy Player for the Wii U so that 3DS games could be enjoyed on HDTV's.

I'm totally with you on this. Part of my gaming involves playing through entire series with my brother (e.g. Zelda, Mario), and it sucks to basically be out of luck on certain DS / 3DS games. It seems like a no-brainer to be able to play DS and 3DS games on the Wii U now that there is a tablet for the touch-screen portion. If they also gave the option of outputting just the top screen or both top and bottom screen to your display it would be perfect. I picture a USB device that you could plug in your DS / 3DS game for the Wii U to access (with new software provided for the Wii U to play it).

That said, Nintendo rarely does what I want them to so I'm not holding my breath. Maybe someday I'll mod my 3DS to output the video directly.
Leo_Ames likes this.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL View Post

It seems like a no-brainer to be able to play DS and 3DS games on the Wii U now that there is a tablet for the touch-screen portion. If they also gave the option of outputting just the top screen or both top and bottom screen to your display it would be perfect. I picture a USB device that you could plug in your DS / 3DS game for the Wii U to access (with new software provided for the Wii U to play it).

I was starting to think it was just me that thought it sounded like a good idea.

I suspect that actual 3DS hardware would be the best way to go though. And various screen display options are a must like you said. And of course the right analog stick needs to be recognized as a circle pad pro or whatever the heck that 3DS add-on was called. And Pro Controller support for instances where you're not using the touch screen during gameplay would be great.

About the only games that wouldn't work well are the ones that make heavy use of the touch screen for control. Kind of defeats the point of playing such a game on a tv screen if you're hardly ever looking at the tv. But it's still an attractive option since the screen is so much larger on the gamepad than even that of the 3DSXL. And heck, we have Wii U games already that keep you staring at the gamepad screen most of the time. So I don't see that as much of a dilemma.

I wonder if the 3D effect could be made compatible with 3D capable HDTV's.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey jhoff (and anyone else who's upgraded to a 3DS XL over the original model), you finding the upgrade worth it? Has the comfort level increased noticeably? Does the system overall feel too stupidly big?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

The XL isn't that much larger. Half an inch on all sides and the same thickness. The comfort level is much higher thanks to the larger size and rounded corners. It really is worth a purchase.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 08-14-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I do find that it is much more comfortable in use. I'm able to keep my wrists straighter instead of bent at an awkward angle, which for me makes a huge difference. It also just does feel nicer to me in the hand. The battery life has been drastically better so far as well, though that could also be partially due to a original 3DS battery that has gone through many more charge cycles. I much prefer the new stylus slot position on the right side of the device too. It's how it was for the DS Lite too, and just feels more natural to pull it from there.

I kind of do prefer the 3D effects just a little bit more on the larger screen that fills up more of my frame of vision too, but I'll probably end up turning that off after a little longer with the device anyway.

The downsides to that is the drastic screen size increase with the same resolution means the image isn't always as sharp, especially if you use DS games. Also, it's not a huge device by any means, but I don't think I'd be very comfortable carrying the XL in a pants pocket.

One other positive that's a tiny nitpicky thing is that the matte finish doesn't show fingerprints nearly as much as the glossy original model. It's not impervious to fingerprints, but it's definitely a drastic improvement on that.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, I ended up caving and picking up the black XL on my way home. What really pushed me over the edge was learning that Gamestop has a 2x trade-in bonus on hardware right now, which means I can get $100 credit for my original model. Couldn't pass that up. Also amusing was that the three Target reps at the counter all said something like "We have those in black? I might have to get one now." I have no idea what took Nintendo so long to release this model here.

Anyway, I've only played around with it for an hour but yeah, it is immediately more comfortable and just clearly a much better designed, better-looking, better-feeling piece of hardware. Now more than ever I have a hard time believing anyone at Nintendo thought the original 3DS's angular, chunky design, with its sharp shoulder buttons and annoying row of select/home/start non-buttons, was good design. I'm not much for conspiracy theories but if anything was designed for planned aesthetic obsolescence it's the original 3DS.

A few observations I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned a lot of places -- the color temp of the XL screens seems significantly warmer (yellower whites), not that this is super noticeable unless both systems are open next to each other at the very white home menu. The XL's screens also seem dimmer than the original's overall, which also doesn't bother me since it's not like I ever played at maximum brightness on the original. Also, is it me or does the XL actually have worse speakers than the original? Again, not super concerned with the quality of the built-in speakers of a portable console, since we all know the only way we're getting decent audio out of the thing is with headphones.

As for nitpicks, I can't believe this thing doesn't ship with the charging dock. Instead I had to order it separately on their spare-parts website for $26 shipped. I knew what I was getting into here, but still, how cheap can they be? What can that chunk of plastic possibly cost them, a dime? Also, I kinda miss the telescoping metal stylus of the original, but that's personal preference.

Anyway, good news to anyone waiting for a new model to come out: Now that I bought an XL, Nintendo's sure to announce a new version sometime soon! mad.gif
Old 08-14-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

All of those observations are well known about the XL. The screens will settle after a while but they will always be warmer. Speakers are also well known to be lesser quality.

I didn't know there was an XL charging dock, let us know how it is.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 08-14-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
XL doesn't come with a charging dock?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

XL doesn't come with a charging dock?

The new OG models don't either, ever since they slimmed down the boxes.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon

Tags
Nintendo 3ds Cosmo Black , Nintendo 3ds Xl Blue Black , Nintendo 2ds Electric Blue