Sweet Memories: Black Jack - $2.79 - 30% Off - Ends 1/8
Swords & Soldiers 3D - $5.59 - 30% Off - Ends 1/8
Tangram Style - $3.99 - 43% Off - Permanent Price Drop
Vector Racing - $4.89 - 30% Off - Ends 1/9
VVVVVV - $4.99 - 38% Off - Ends 1/3
Wakedas - $1.99 - 33% Off - Ends 1/8
Witch and Hero - $2.79 - 30% Off - Ends 1/8
World Conqueror 3D - $3.99 - 33% Off - Ends 1/8

I bolded some of the more reputable ones, though I haven't played most of them myself. Project X Zone is very tempting at that price, though I'm not sure that's something I need to own digitally and I've seen physical copies going for $20 new here and there recently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 249 Old 12-29-2013, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
All the professional reviewers say the 3ds Zelda game is the "most challenging in a long time" and then I go to Amazon and read review after review saying it's a way too easy game. Makes me even more unsure whether or not to keep the 3ds xl and Zelda game I got. I doubt I would play any non-Zelda game and it's less tempting to keep it if the Zelda game isn't as worthwhile as people said.
post #183 of 249 Old 12-29-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Skyward Sword was somewhat challenging, Twilight Princess was a cakewalk so it made me happy I didn't blow through it.

Hopefully ALBW is somewhat challenging, I plan to pick it up soon.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #184 of 249 Old 12-29-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I picked up a 3DS XL for myself over the holidays and am thoroughly enjoying Zelda: ALBW (cartridge version). This is the type of game that is sorely lacking on the Vita imo. Tearaway is a fantastic game, but way too short for a full price game (luckily I waited for a half price sale). Sony should definitely look into porting 3D Dot Game Heroes to the Vita.

In terms of difficulty, ALBW is about on par with N64 and Gamecube Zelda games. It is a great game, well worth the purchase price of my 3DS XL. Unfortunately, the eShop was down for 3 days and i couldn't download anything else until today (currently downloading Pokemon Y). I still buy games on disc for home consoles, but for portable devices, almost everything will be the digital version.
post #185 of 249 Old 01-02-2014, 04:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

I picked up a 3DS XL for myself over the holidays and am thoroughly enjoying Zelda: ALBW (cartridge version). This is the type of game that is sorely lacking on the Vita imo. Tearaway is a fantastic game, but way too short for a full price game (luckily I waited for a half price sale). Sony should definitely look into porting 3D Dot Game Heroes to the Vita.

In terms of difficulty, ALBW is about on par with N64 and Gamecube Zelda games. It is a great game, well worth the purchase price of my 3DS XL. Unfortunately, the eShop was down for 3 days and i couldn't download anything else until today (currently downloading Pokemon Y). I still buy games on disc for home consoles, but for portable devices, almost everything will be the digital version.

Digital only on 3DS is a brilliant idea. Having a potentially huge catalog of games accessible at your fingertips is great - works only for a portable though in my opinion.

I have never failed. I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
post #186 of 249 Old 01-02-2014, 01:58 PM

It works fine for non-portables for classic games because who wants to have a NES, SNES, n64, etc... all hooked up?
post #187 of 249 Old 01-02-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

The Bravely Default demo is up on the eshop.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #188 of 249 Old 01-03-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I am almost half way through the demo (it is an extended side story not found in the main game with unlocks that carry over into the full version)

It feels like classic Final Fantasy on the SNES with a PS1 style face lift. The 3D is actually amazing (first time 3D has impressed me in any game) and the art style is perfect. Gameplay is old school and even early enemies can break you. The battle system has amazing depth and the grind for levels/job points has been greatly decreased thanks to the brave/default system.

:update:

Demo is complete, aside from the town building (which requires local street passes to speed it up) combat is easily abused, 4 ninja at level 14 can beat the ultimate boss in one round of attacks. Still, it takes leveling other classes to get all the skills needed to manage that. This really is like Final Fantasy V.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #189 of 249 Old 01-25-2014, 09:53 AM

Well, returned the 3DS XL and Zelda game because I was down t the last day and couldn't decide if I think I would like playing such a small screen game.
post #190 of 249 Old 03-03-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Just beat Layton 5 in preparation for 6 which came out last week... realizing only right near the end that I never got more than 15 minutes into the 4th one before forgetting about it. biggrin.gif

I guess I have to go back now before I play the newest, since 4-6 all tie in to each other.

I remember being really impressed as well by how in-depth the "London Life" mini RPG on 4 was, but I'll probably end up skipping over that entirely.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #191 of 249 Old 03-04-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
The Layton games I've played were all enjoyable, but six of this type of game in a relatively short amount of time is definitely too much for me. I remember being so absorbed in the first game and really trying hard to think out each puzzle, but by Miracle Mask I more often found myself just kind of randomly guessing at harder ones and hoping to luck into the answer. I skipped Unwound Future and always meant to go back to it, but kind of doubt I ever will. I do plan on picking up the latest one someday, but probably won't for years.

Layton vs Phoenix Wright, on the other hand, might be an immediate purchase.
post #192 of 249 Old 03-14-2014, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Bravely Default outsold Lightning Returns in the US!!!

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=784272

Real Final Fantasy beat out the pretender to the throne!

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #193 of 249 Old 03-14-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't even particularly care for Bravely Default (at least going by the demo) but this news still makes me happy...

Also, this deal's been going on a bit now but I haven't seen this posted elsewhere on this board: Club Nintendo's offering a free download of Pokemon X or Y if you register any 2DS/3DS + any of Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D Land, Animal Crossing, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Lego City Undercover, or Yoshi's New Island: http://club2.nintendo.com/3ds-pokemon-promo/ Glad I never got around to registering my XL, but now I have to pick up one of those games, and I already own/registered 3D Land and AC (and played DK on Wii). Still a great deal though.
post #194 of 249 Old 03-14-2014, 10:10 AM

Liked: 11
I'd go with Mario Kart or Yoshi. Free dl of Pokemon is worth owning two decent games for the price of one.

I have never failed. I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
post #195 of 249 Old 03-14-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

My vote goes for Mario Kart. It is a very solid entry in the series, but if you have a Wii U it may be better to pick something else since MK is hitting in a few months.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #196 of 249 Old 03-14-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
The picture might be clearer now that it has been out for a few hours, but careful with Yoshi's New Island. Leading up to release, it has very much been a mystery if it's worthwhile since it hasn't came off so well with its various showings (Particularly the appearance that it has been devoid of any difficulty). Has looked more on par with Yoshi's Story where quality is concerned rather than Yoshi's Island so far.

Hoping that impression isn't an accurate one, but if it is, this isn't worth paying anywhere near full price on.
post #197 of 249 Old 03-15-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, for better or worse Yoshi might be my only real choice for this deal. I'm not interested in Lego and I do have a Wii U so I'll wait for Kart to show up on there.
post #198 of 249 Old 03-15-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Judging by reviews, it's not a great game, but it's also not what people feared. Looks like it's a solid 2D platformer that has a healthy dose of challenge as well.
post #199 of 249 Old 03-16-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, not sure if I'm feeling Yoshi. But I lucked out -- a friend recently got a 3DS and some games and has no interest in registering for CN stuff, so he just gave me one of his codes. Downloading X now! My first Pokemon game.

Sidenote: Download size is 14,000 blocks? Jesus.
post #200 of 249 Old 03-16-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Pokemon is a big download. Make sure to grab the latest patch as well. It fixes a game breaking bug.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #201 of 249 Old 03-16-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the tip. I'm interested to see if Pokemon is the sort of game I just have no patience for these days or the sort of game where I get weirdly, cripplingly addicted. Or both. I'm eager to start it up after I finish off Project X Zone in a couple days or so.
post #202 of 249 Old 03-16-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Thanks for the tip. I'm interested to see if Pokemon is the sort of game I just have no patience for these days or the sort of game where I get weirdly, cripplingly addicted. Or both. I'm eager to start it up after I finish off Project X Zone in a couple days or so.

The post game is almost non existant, I was hooked until the E4 fell. A few tips with very minor spoilers. (A few free pokemon)

The game is very easy, or very hard, it all depends on the use of the exp share. Having it on will make you have a team of level 80s by the 7th gym.

The Male trainer clothing and custom options suck compared to the Female options, especially later in the game once all the shops are available.

Money is stupid easy to get, as a result, some things are stupid expensive.

Use wonder trade. What you get may suck, but those pokemiles you earn can be spent on some good stuff very early on.

Get the Jaw fossil, Tyrantrum is amazing.

You get a free Lucario, but you can raise a much better one by that point.

Do all the side events you can in Lumiose City, that is how you unlock additional hair choices and the Lumiose Clothing store. (The Megastone shop also gets cheaper as you do more)

The game breaking bug was saving in Lumiose City's streets, you could get stuck inside the environment. I always make sure to save inside a building just to be safe.
DaverJ likes this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #203 of 249 Old 03-24-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

So I'm about 10 hours into Pokemon X, got my second badge recently, and my interest is flagging. I think the real appeal of this franchise might be a bit lost on me. Maybe if I was 5-10 years younger, and had the time/patience/inclination to spend hours milling about patches of tall grass until I've caught all 782 monsters or however many there are, I'd be more into it, but without that obsessiveness it doesn't seem like the game has a whole lot to offer. The game feels very "My First RPG," if that makes any sense. And the battles somehow feel both overly simplistic and overly complex at the same time, not to mention clunky dreadfully slow. Even with battle animations off, battles seem to take for-goddamn-ever; I am so sick of that opening animation of a Pokeball being thrown and my guy popping out, and then immediately having to watch it again if I want to switch to someone else. Sometimes I won't even bother switching out, even if I know the enemy might slaughter me in one hit, because I don't want battles to take any longer than they already do. And who the hell thought the "horde" battles were a good idea? I love being guaranteed to spend a round or two doing nothing but watching my guy get slowly hit five times in a row. Fun!

I know Pokemon is super popular and I'm not trying to be a dick, but uh, it just seems like it might not be for me. I guess I mostly play RPGs for story and well-written characters I can care about, which doesn't seem to be the point of order here. In fact it seems the exact opposite, with 4,062 possible party members but no real reason to care about any of them outside of whether they look cute or cool. Am I missing anything?

Anyway, I'll probably keep playing for a while still, but I see myself dropping it at any time (and I almost never leave a game unfinished). I've been going with the team of Fennekin, Lucario, Pikachu, Tyrunt, Ivysaur, and Kirlia. Am I doing something wrong?
post #204 of 249 Old 03-25-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Am I doing something wrong?

Nope, you aren't doing anything wrong.

I'm a couple hours in on X, making my way to the second gym. I think I've played one of each iteration of this series since the original Red/Blue. This one is a good example of Pokemon, because despite the (thankfully) new graphics and internet connection, it's pretty much the same Pokemon we've been playing for years. I think the new appeal for this one is battling and trading over the internet, something I'm not very keen on.

From what you described, you are experiencing the Pokemon experience. It's roots are a "kiddie" RPG from the original Gameboy, and it's stayed true to it's roots all these years. They always seem to add a twist, upgrade, or new event/feature with each iteration, but the base game stays the same, for better or worse. Those familiar with the series seem to love revisiting the simple-yet-invovled gameplay of know what attacks are effective against others (water against fire, ect.), and which Pokemon have what attacks, building an effective team, evolving, mating, and of course, "gotta catch 'em all".

I can totally see if you are late to the game and wondering what the big deal is. At times I'm kinda thinking I'm over it myself. redface.gif I set up my old turntable and wanted a new 3DS game to crash on the couch while listening to vinyl, and this fits the bill nicely. But after the initial excitement of the revised engine, graphics, and features, once I was playing the game I started noticing the slow pace and yet-again mechanics.

I don't dislike it - it can be very addicting and am having fun discoveries from time to time. But it is what it is.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #205 of 249 Old 03-29-2014, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Outrun 3D has been announced as the next Sega 3D Classic release. smile.gif

I hope Afterburner II, Fantasy Zone, and Outrun make their way West later this year with subsequent wave 2 releases like wave 1 did late last year.
DaverJ likes this.
post #206 of 249 Old 04-01-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 148
So, I was just on vacation for a couple of days, and decided to bring the 3DS XL with me. I was playing Super Mario 3D World.

Man, this game is a freaking masterpiece. Like seriously... I think this could be one of the most underrated games of recent memory. I know that the game has received plenty of accolades, but not to the level that I think it should have received. This is one of those games that could easily make my top 50 best games of all-time on any platform list. I think this is the best Mario game since late 1996.

Every level is an absolute joy to play. I can't get enough of this game.

The only thing that could make it better, is if there was a 3DS emulator for the PC, and I could be playing this game on my 50 inch 3D plasma. That's about the only thing that can improve on the experience. Absolutely magnificent !
post #207 of 249 Old 04-01-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Games like Super Mario 3D Land are why Nintendo is missing an excellent opportunity by not releasing a 3DS Player for the Wii U in the style of the earlier Game Boy Player attachment for the GameCube.
post #208 of 249 Old 04-01-2014, 04:36 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

So, I was just on vacation for a couple of days, and decided to bring the 3DS XL with me. I was playing Super Mario 3D World.

Man, this game is a freaking masterpiece. Like seriously... I think this could be one of the most underrated games of recent memory. I know that the game has received plenty of accolades, but not to the level that I think it should have received. This is one of those games that could easily make my top 50 best games of all-time on any platform list. I think this is the best Mario game since late 1996.

Every level is an absolute joy to play. I can't get enough of this game.

The only thing that could make it better, is if there was a 3DS emulator for the PC, and I could be playing this game on my 50 inch 3D plasma. That's about the only thing that can improve on the experience. Absolutely magnificent !

I'm assuming that you mean Super Mario 3D Land since it is on the 3DS, Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U is pretty much what you are asking for on the big screen.
post #209 of 249 Old 04-01-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 148
yeah, I meant Land. Sorry about that.
post #210 of 249 Old 04-19-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Just ordered one of these on eBay. I've been wanting to get back into Nintendo and couldn't decide between a Wii U or 3DS XL. A decent deal helped me decide. Can't wait to play Ocarina of Time and the new Zelda and Mario games.

PSN: PrankT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Nintendo

Tags
Nintendo 3ds Cosmo Black , Nintendo 3ds Xl Blue Black , Nintendo 2ds Electric Blue

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page