Lego City Undercover - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 03-13-2013, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-14-lego-city-undercover-review

Reviews are starting to hit from sources that I trust. Eurogamer gave it a 9/10, and Gabe over at Penny Arcade says that it's awesome. Reviews are also coming out before the release, which shows that the publisher is confident that they have a great game on their hands. If reviews aren't allowed until the game is released, that is usually a sign that the publisher is trying to control the message and reduce the damage that early reviews will do.

I was worried initially that the dire performance that we saw in the early trailers was going to follow through until release, but it looks like we've got a solid game here. That's good. I haven't touched my Wii U since New Year's Eve and was hoping that this was going to be the game to break that streak! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
The first review I saw was Edge who gave it a 5 which had me worried. I'm glad it seems to be the outlier since I was able to grab it for $25.
post #3 of 45 Old 03-14-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Are you going to tell the rest of us how to get it for $25, or is it a secret?
post #4 of 45 Old 03-14-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Probably the last trailer before launch.
post #5 of 45 Old 03-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 50
After reading that Eurogamer review and Kotaku's review and seeing more videos of the game in action, I do think I might have to pick this up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #6 of 45 Old 03-15-2013, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Are you going to tell the rest of us how to get it for $25, or is it a secret?

He mentioned it a few days ago in this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458805/buy-1-get-1-50-off#post_23017916

Looks like a good deal if it's still underway and there's another Wii U game of interest to you to take advantage of the savings on. But I assume it's retail disc only unless they sell download codes as well. So not of much help to you since you've stated you've left physical media behind with no intentions of looking back (On the Wii U at least, obviously I don't know what your habits are elsewhere).
post #7 of 45 Old 03-15-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

He mentioned it a few days ago in this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458805/buy-1-get-1-50-off#post_23017916

Looks like a good deal if it's still underway and there's another Wii U game of interest to you to take advantage of the savings on. But I assume it's retail disc only unless they sell download codes as well. So not of much help to you since you've stated you've left physical media behind with no intentions of looking back (On the Wii U at least, obviously I don't know what your habits are elsewhere).

Thanks. Not a very well kept secret.

Pikmin 3 would be bought either way so I figured Lego City was a fair gamble at half price.
post #8 of 45 Old 03-15-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
I'll be picking up Lego City, Need for Speed and something else at the next Target B2G1 sale after they are out. Not really a fan of Monster Hunter and the Demo turned me off, I guess Dragon's Dogma spoiled me... (I want a Wii U port of this game!)

:edit: There is a sale next week during the launch of all these games. Looks like I am getting Lego City and NFS next week after all, now then... what will be my third?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #9 of 45 Old 03-16-2013, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

So Lego City Undercover needs 22GB to buy the download version. This is more than a 32GB Wii U will hold apparently, so I ordered up a new USB HDD for it today.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008R7FC74

1TB for $75 isn't bad. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
post #10 of 45 Old 03-16-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought this had a good chance of going multiplatform on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 later on in light of what I've heard about the touch screen implimentation (Which sounds hardly crucial to the experience) and the positive impressions so far. But maybe not if it's that huge (Particularly if it's optimized for download to remove identical content on the disc put in there to reduce disc read times).

Not usually one to care about exclusivity by 3rd parties, if anything I'm usually against it. But I hope this does the Wii U some good since it looks like it's going to be a slow spring and summer at the very least.
post #11 of 45 Old 03-16-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought this had a good chance of going multiplatform on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 later on in light of what I've heard about the touch screen implimentation (Which sounds hardly crucial to the experience) and the positive impressions so far. But maybe not if it's that huge (Particularly if it's optimized for download to remove identical content on the disc put in there to reduce disc read times).

Not usually one to care about exclusivity by 3rd parties, if anything I'm usually against it. But I hope this does the Wii U some good since it looks like it's going to be a slow spring and summer at the very least.

It also has several Nintendo easter eggs as well, going third party may not be possible without reworking the entire game.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #12 of 45 Old 03-16-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

The game is also published by Nintendo. If they paid for any of its development up front, it is not going multiplatform.

In this case, TT is more 2nd party than 3rd.
post #13 of 45 Old 03-16-2013, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I doubt a few Easter Eggs would be a problem.

I hadn't realized that Nintendo was publishing it though since I had assumed it was Warner Brothers. So that probably takes care of that thought for at least a few years when hopefully something like what went on with Mass Effect occurs if this is the success it's hoped it will be. Unless they hold some sort of ownership right, publishing rights expire after a time.

While it's too bad that what appears to be a nice game won't be multiplatform, like I said earlier, I'm kind of glad in this specific instance.
post #14 of 45 Old 03-17-2013, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

"publishing rights expire after a time."

Publishing rights don't really expire in games. They can be sold, leased, or end based on contract terms, but they don't just expire based on time. In the case of Mass Effect, Microsoft very simply looked at the numbers, saw that ME1 made them a small amount in its fifth year, EA offered them significantly more for the rights going forward on other platforms, and MS said "No brainer. Sold!".

Publishing in games almost always includes ownership. In this case, Nintendo probably funded a good 25-50% of the game's development cost. If they hadn't, this company that always makes multiplatform titles wouldn't have stuck with a single, small, unproven platform. History shows their preference for wide release.
post #15 of 45 Old 03-17-2013, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Being a publisher doesn't necessarily equate to being the owner. Many a game over the years has merely been licensed for publication with no ownership involved. And those licenses do expire after a time.

Let's consider Lego City Undercover a house and Traveller's Tales the constructer of the the home. We don't know (Well at least I don't, this information very well might be public knowledge) if Nintendo and the builder have entered a contract for Nintendo to market this house that TT built in exchange for a portion of the revenue from the sale or if Nintendo hired them to construct it.

If they're merely a contract developer, Nintendo certainly owns it outright including publication rights unless they sell them down the line. But if Nintendo is licensing it for publication, that doesn't signal that they have any sort of ownership stake in it or an indefinite exclusive right to publish it.

Particularly since they don't seem to have any ownership stake in TT, it's not at all uncommon in such a situation for the publishing rights to merely be a license.
post #16 of 45 Old 03-17-2013, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

"Many" is still by far the minority, and you'd be very hard pressed to find a case where the dev owns software based on a licensed property.. In this specific case, the evidence at hand strongly points to a large pile of cash coming along with the publishing deal. Again, these are the same guys that put Lego Harry Batman: The Return Of The Indiana Jones: Episode III on every platform imaginable.

At best TT is the for-hire contract middleman between the unquestionable owner of the property, Lego, and the fairly obvious source of funding, Nintendo.
post #17 of 45 Old 03-17-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Considering that Traveller's Tales is owned by Warner Brothers, I think that they're big enough to have a direct licensing relationship with LEGO for the videogame rights to that property. I don't see why this couldn't just be an exclusivity period with Nintendo with Nintendo handling the publishing rights on their own platforms after licensing those rights from TT.

No matter what anyone wants to argue, there are tons of examples from the late 1970's up to today where a publisher doesn't own a thing with a game that they release except the publication rights for the terms spelled out contractually.

I'm not suggesting that's the case here. I just prepared that earlier reply for whatever eventuality that perhaps may happen down the road. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this never leaves the Wii U and the 3DS.
post #18 of 45 Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

And from their website...

"Giant Interactive Entertainment was established by Managing Director, Tom Stone and Head of Production, Jonathan Smith in 2004. The company is based in Maidenhead, England, and holds exclusive rights to develop videogames based on the properties and characters of LEGO Company. "

Traveller's Tales is a development studio of theirs and they're owned by Warner Brothers. So I'd say that their role is a good bit larger than just being the programming force behind these games.
post #19 of 45 Old 03-18-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems there have been shipment issues similar to Fire Emblem Awakening. Getting real tired of Nintendo holding back on releasing enough to meet demand. Luigi's Mansion seems to be doing the same thing as well...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #20 of 45 Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Speculation suggests that it's deliberate to encourage digital downloading.

Seems like an odd tactic to take in light of the storage capacity the console offers out of the box, but you never know with Nintendo.
post #21 of 45 Old 03-18-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seems like an odd tactic to take in light of the storage capacity the console offers out of the box, but you never know with Nintendo.

It took me 3 weeks to find a copy of Fire Emblem, and all that time my Amazon preorder that I had for months was always "shipping in 2-3 weeks"

I refuse to buy games digitally that I can buy in store for the same system.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #22 of 45 Old 03-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

http://www.coffeewithgames.com/2010/01/serious-nintendo-wii-problem-nsmbw.html
Quote:
The week before Christmas, I went by Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Game Stop and none of the stores had New Super Mario Bros. Wii in stock! When checking the websites during December, New Super Mario Bros. Wii was either "backordered" or "out-of-stock", as it was for almost the entire last half of December(the picture above shows some of the sites).

Now I'm going to posit that Nintendo of America has a history of not keeping new popular games in stock at retailers, that it continues to this day, and anyone with the SEKRIT DIGITAL DOWNLOADS STRATEGY explanation is dumb. Sorry.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #23 of 45 Old 03-18-2013, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

And the win goes to... Magic Cow!

*applause*
post #24 of 45 Old 03-19-2013, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Just for the record, I was just passing along what I've seen a bit of speculation about. I didn't say that I bought into the theory. I simply don't know one way or another and thought it was an interesting thought.

Beyond Wii Fit when it was new, I don't recall anything about any widespread shortages of Nintendo published software since the 1990's. So that link was certainly an interesting read since I was under the impression that this situation with the Wii U was mostly a new phenomenon for Nintendo in recent generations.
post #25 of 45 Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got an email from Best Buy. I don't really care as I wasn't going to be playing it right away, but I do wonder wtf is going on at Nintendo.
Quote:
We're sorry, but your recently ordered item has gone on backorder. We expect it to arrive between April 2 and April 11. To keep you informed of its delivery, we'll send tracking information once it has shipped.
post #26 of 45 Old 03-19-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
This game is very humorous and fun to play and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. My only other Lego game experience is Indiana Jones (came bundled with miy 360), but I got bored with it rather quickly. My main complaint about the game is the rather numerous and long load times, otherwise this is a pretty solid title.
post #27 of 45 Old 03-20-2013, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Gah! My hard drive is a bust. It seems to want more power than the Wii U will spit out over it's USB connection. The drive works great on my PCs with the supplied cable over USB 2.0, and it initializes on the Wii U. Beyond that, it becomes very spotty on the Wii. I moved a demo over to it at what seemed like a reasonable speed, but then it crashed upon load. Copying that demo back from the HDD to the Wii also fails pretty hard, as a copy operation that should take 38 seconds at the 26MBps it writes/reads on my PC is now in minute 4 and about 3/4 done.

I'm off to try and find a verified Wii U compatible drive now, and not one that simply claims that it will power off of a single USB connection.

I really want to play Lego City, but I need a place to store it first!

EDIT: Or I can just grab a Y cable that will let me steal additional amperage from the second USB port on the back... Hmm...
post #28 of 45 Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Yeah, didn't Nintendo themselves they can only guarantee external hard drive compatibility if using a Y-cable (or drive with its own power supply)?
post #29 of 45 Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yes they did. In general we've been pushing out 1000mA over USB ports for several years now, instead of the 500mA that the spec calls for. It's an odd decision for Nintendo to make to stick so strictly to the spec, then expect people to add HDDs to their system in order to download 19GB games from them.

Anyway, I ordered a $5 Y-cable to steal power from the second port. In the mean time I dug out an old 120GB external to download to right now. Their download service hasn't gotten much better. 19GB should take about 4 hours on my connection, but the estimate was sitting at 10 hours when I went to bed last night. That was of course followed by a 40 minute "install", which is still stupid.

I hate discs and don't want any for this system, but Nintendo sure isn't making it easy for me. This is almost more of a pain in the butt than swapping discs around, finding somewhere to store them, and listening to that drive spin at a billion miles an hour.

Also, my local Fred Meyer had a stack of Lego City in when I was there earlier. Check them out if you're having difficulty finding it in retail. I think they tend to be forgotten about when it comes to new releases.
post #30 of 45 Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, Lego City Undercover is pretty great. I'm about two hours in and the writing is fantastic. Performance in the "levels" is perfectly fine at a solid 720p/30, but it dips to the 20-30fps range out in the open world. I haven't noticed any tearing, and it doesn't feel like the dip is directly from 30 to 20fps, so at least they seem to be properly triple-buffering. The draw distance is good for the world, but terrible for the Lego-dot-money that you are supposed to pick up. Aside from the money popping in 15 feet from you, I haven't noticed much more pop-in. Overall, it runs and looks better than the console GTA4, probably more on par with console Saint's Row 3.

The load times are terrible. Like check Twitter and RSS real quick on your iPad cause you've got a minute and a half to kill terrible.

The moment to moment gameplay is the most refined edition of the Lego game formula that I have seen. Again, great writing and perfectly executed gags. Playing this, you will laugh and smile. The only frustration I have so far is that early in the game so much stuff is locked off that it is making it difficult to get the resources that I need to move on to the next section. This will resolve itself as the game progresses and I gain more abilities. but right now it is causing me to grind for bricks for a bit. At two hours I am about 2% completion, though I expect that completion rate to accelerate as I gain abilities. Rough estimate? I'd say there is 40-50 hours here for the completionist.

Highly recommended. Spend your $50 on this.

Now I want the 3DS prequel.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page