Shadow of the Eternals for Wii U and PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 05-07-2013, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 148
If nothing else comes out for the Wii U other than this game, then I will be happy. Shadow of the Eternals is a "Spiritual Successor" of Eternal Darkness and will be coming out on Wii U and PC with the possibility of other consoles. Videos can be found on the link below.
http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I liked Eternal Darkness as much as anybody, but isn't Denis Dyack known as a huuuuuuge flake? (The page linked almost seems to go out of its way not to mention him.) And hasn't his/Silicon Knights' output, outside of the Nintendo-overseen original Eternal Darkness, been pretty subpar? I wish I could be more excited about this.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I liked Eternal Darkness as much as anybody, but isn't Denis Dyack known as a huuuuuuge flake? (The page linked almost seems to go out of its way not to mention him.) And hasn't his/Silicon Knights' output, outside of the Nintendo-overseen original Eternal Darkness, been pretty subpar? I wish I could be more excited about this.

Sad but true. I love Eternal Darkness, it's one of those games that just gets better and better the more time you spend with it, but this one sounds... well, like a direct clone. Could be great, but the whole episodic nature lends itself more to "Money Hat" than "Honest Sequel".

This part in particular is what gets me:
Quote:
When Detective Paul Becker is called to one of the bloodiest gang massacres in Louisiana state history, only two survivors remain from a brutal conflict between two rival cults. As Becker begins his interrogations of the suspects, their combined recollections will uncover the truth about the ‘Eternals’.

Featuring an ensemble cast of heroes and villains, Shadow of the Eternals will span over 2500 years of history throughout Egypt, England, Hungary, and the United States. Players will question the perception of reality as they try to balance the mechanics of combat, magick, and sanity events to progress through the adventure.

Shadow of the Eternals will take players on a memorable journey throughout time; weaving historical fact with disturbing fiction to create an experience unlike any other.

The trailer is pretty cool:I don't mind reusing the timeline hopping and character history mechanics, you kinda need that in an ED dame, but If it starts coping TOO much from the first one's formula it'll just feel stale rather than creative, and left-of-center creativity is exactly what made the first game so awesome. Specifically, if the psychological effects are too similar ("what do you mean my gamepad lost it's connection!?") this won't ever be more than a copy/paste with HD graphics and GoW enemies.

If they manage to keep the spirit and make a new game that extends the universe and mythos, I'm 100% behind this. WiiU could use some exclusive games like this.
post #4 of 24 Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What I liked from the Demo was that they were using the Crytek engine. On the official forums some of the people were surprised that the Wii U had the power to run that engine. Another thing that sounds interesting is the community involvement with this. With game being episodes the community can offer feedback and ideas on what works and doesn't for the upcoming episodes. As far it copying Eternal Darkness I do not think that would bother me. It has been way too long since the gamecube and we have never had an update or a sequel so I say go for it. I think with the hardware and the software today they can make some differences to the game to separate it. I did do the donation to it and figure it was worth the price of a full game for the 12 episodes they plan to do.

I tried to link the 9 minute IGN video to the 1st page, but was not able to do so since I could not find the source link on the site, but that video had some great footage in it.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #5 of 24 Old 05-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Have any kickstarter games actually come out yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Here's the list:

1992 Cyber Empires Amiga, Atari ST, DOS
1993 Fantasy Empires DOS
1994 Dark Legions DOS
1995 The Horde Sega Saturn
1996 Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain PlayStation, Microsoft Windows
2002 Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem GameCube
2004 Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes GameCube
2008 Too Human Xbox 360
2011 X-Men: Destiny Nintendo DS, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii

Not surprising they ditched the Silicon Knights name

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #6 of 24 Old 05-10-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 129
They've not even using Kickstarter. The money goes directly to them (and unlike Kickstarter, they get the money no matter what). They do say this, but you'd have to take their word for it:
Quote:
Our financial goal is a flexible one. All contributions will go directly towards the development of this game and making it a reality. We are committed to making this game, however, if it becomes apparent that we cannot raise enough to develop this project then we will refund all pledges.

Eternal Darkness was great (and I actually liked Too Human, even though not many did), but I'm not optimistic about this.

Anyway, it's not that they're ditching the Silicon Knights name. Silicon Knights still (barely) exists. Denis Dyack just doesn't work there any longer. As I understand it, Precursor hired Dyack to work on this, and they purchased assets from Silicon Knights for it.

I've also read that Nintendo has a patent on the sanity stuff from ED, though I would think that wouldn't be too difficult to work around.

Edit: Then again, it sounds like there might be something shady (because of the Epic countersuit, maybe?) with the SK / Precursor relationship based on this article:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/9/4316936/silicon-knights-epic-games-precursor-games

If you read the comments, someone who may or may not actually know is even claiming that the Shadow of the Eternals demo that they're showing is an old Eternal Darkness 2 demo that Silicon Knights was working on... despite the fact Precursor submitted a document about wiping all computers purchased from Silicon Knights.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #7 of 24 Old 05-10-2013, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

They've not even using Kickstarter. .
Kickstarter is not allowed in Canada which is why they are not using it. I believe Kickstarter can only be used in the US and UK. There has been a lot of questions on Precursor's forums about why no Kickstarter and that was the answer given. As for getting money back I believe they will. I pledged $50 already, and then decided a day later I wanted to do the $100 pledge for the Magickal LE support. I went ahead and did that, and then sent an email to support for precursor and a few hours later I had a $50 refund for my Bound limited edition. I just want the game to come out!

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #8 of 24 Old 05-11-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

Kickstarter is not allowed in Canada which is why they are not using it. I believe Kickstarter can only be used in the US and UK. There has been a lot of questions on Precursor's forums about why no Kickstarter and that was the answer given. As for getting money back I believe they will. I pledged $50 already, and then decided a day later I wanted to do the $100 pledge for the Magickal LE support. I went ahead and did that, and then sent an email to support for precursor and a few hours later I had a $50 refund for my Bound limited edition. I just want the game to come out!

Sure, that's the reason, but it doesn't actually matter what the reason is. The point is that they're not backed by some other corporation here acting in the interest of the people pledging money. This is solely the developer taking money.

post #9 of 24 Old 05-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Sketchy!
We promise to spend your money right

post #10 of 24 Old 05-12-2013, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Sure, that's the reason, but it doesn't actually matter what the reason is. The point is that they're not backed by some other corporation here acting in the interest of the people pledging money. This is solely the developer taking money.
All too true. It is a gamble on my end and I could be out my money. I could spend it smoking Cigars and have nothing to show for it, or take a chance on this. I figured I'll take a chance on this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #11 of 24 Old 05-13-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Precursor has just announced a Kickstarter campaign. This should help ease some fears and hopefully bring in some more money for the game. I'm curious if Kickstarter changed their agreement, or how they are able to do this now since they were not able to do it when they first started.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #12 of 24 Old 06-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Dead. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
or maybe it's actually funded and this is just a sanity effect! LOL

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals/posts/500534?ref=email&show_token=998b4604189c32c4
Quote:
To our community,

Since we announced this Kickstarter campaign we have seen more support from our community than we had ever hoped for. Along with this support has come a host of a new exciting opportunities that will make the game better than we envisioned. As a result, we have chosen to temporarily take down the Shadow of the Eternals crowdfunding campaigns on both Kickstarter and our own website on Thursday, June 6.

This doesn’t mean we are going away -- far from it. We’ll be re-launching the Kickstarter in just a few short weeks with a reveal of these exciting new developments.

As we’re closing the current Kickstarter campaign not a single dime from this campaign will be removed from supporters’ accounts and everyone from our website’s crowdfunding campaign will receive full refunds via PayPal. As we re-tool our campaign and continue development, the forums on our site will remain open and active and any interested fans can still join the ‘Order of the Unseen’ to see our progress and join in the fun of creating content for the game themselves.

We want to thank everyone who has participated, volunteered, and spoken up to support us. You are our community and we value you more than you know. Stay tuned and we’ll be back soon!

I can't help but wonder if this is in part related to the IP struggles they've had with Nintendo on this one... or perhaps it's just another sad reminder that people hate Dyack nowadays, regardless of how awesome a ED sequel could be.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Could be problems with Epic as well, since Silicon Knights was apparently supposed to destroy all assets and artwork before selling hardware to Precursor.

post #14 of 24 Old 06-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Bizarre. Has a successful kickstarter ever given back money?

post #15 of 24 Old 06-05-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Bizarre. Has a successful kickstarter ever given back money?

It wasn't really successful. It hadn't hit 20% of it's 1.5 million goal with around 2 weeks to go when it was stopped..
post #16 of 24 Old 06-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Oh my god they just wanted a hell of a lot of money (especially for what they described as chapter 1). Like Double Fine Adventure money. Even Double Fine didn't ask for that much.

Still $100k is nothing to sneeze at.

post #17 of 24 Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

On Kickstarter, they don't get the money unless they hit the goal though.

post #18 of 24 Old 06-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

I know, but it shows someone's interested in the game.

post #19 of 24 Old 06-07-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

Dead. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
or maybe it's actually funded and this is just a sanity effect! LOL

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals/posts/500534?ref=email&show_token=998b4604189c32c4
I can't help but wonder if this is in part related to the IP struggles they've had with Nintendo on this one... or perhaps it's just another sad reminder that people hate Dyack nowadays, regardless of how awesome a ED sequel could be.
My guess is that they have a backer or publisher. Speculation is Nintendo may be having them do a HD remake of Eternal Darkness, or possible ED 2. I did get back both of my pledge amounts (Paypal, and kickstarter) this week. I also wonder if they are doing that so they can combine both pots into one when they relaunch the kickstarter campaign. In the Paypal account before kickstart there was $150K already there plus the 120K from kickstarter that was raised. We will find out in a couple of weeks when they relaunch the campaign and make the announcement.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #20 of 24 Old 07-27-2013, 09:39 AM

Liked: 10
I would love to get this game but it currently looks like a complete and blatant rip off from Eternal Darkness. Even some of the enemies are exactly the same.. they would get sued over this!
post #21 of 24 Old 07-30-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoggie View Post

I would love to get this game but it currently looks like a complete and blatant rip off from Eternal Darkness. Even some of the enemies are exactly the same.. they would get sued over this!

o_O
ThisOneKidMongo likes this.
post #22 of 24 Old 07-30-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 197
There's a new Kickstarter campaign.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals-0?ref=card

And Nintendo has amended their Eternal Darkness trademark with added coverage of digital versions of it. So maybe this will be a headliner for digitally distributed GameCube titles on the Wii U.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/29/nintendo-registers-new-eternal-darkness-trademark-to-cover-digit/
post #23 of 24 Old 07-31-2013, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Fingers crossed for Gamecube Virtual Console so I don't have to blow $60 on a disc-only Path of Radiance.

post #24 of 24 Old 07-31-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Whoa, I could sell my PoR disc for $60? Thanks for the tip!
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page