New Super Mario Bros U patch for Pro Controller - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 06-20-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Word is that the patch for New Super Mario Bros U that's supposed to come out with the New Super Luigi U DLC will add support for the Pro Controller

I really hope this is the case and that Nintendo will start actually supporting this controller instead of forcing the GamePad on us like they did with the WiiMote last gen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-20-2013, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
i started NSMBU earlier and it told me that u can use my game pad/wii remote and pro controller. its pretty exciting because i own 2 pro controllers but never used them biggrin.gif
post #3 of 28 Old 07-01-2013, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Using the pro controller for Super Mario Bros U is so much better than the gamepad!
post #4 of 28 Old 07-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

its too bad that the pro controller doesnt work with any wii game or game purchased from the shop channel (wii mode) hopefully it will get patched.
post #5 of 28 Old 07-07-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 220
It would be nice if it could substitute for a Classic Controller. But after not allowing a Classic Controller to serve as a GameCube controller on a Wii, I'm not holding my breath that they will ever patch that functionality in.

I wasn't sure what their production status is these days so I picked up a new black Classic Controller Pro a while back so I'd be all set on the Wii U for Wii mode.
post #6 of 28 Old 07-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

i got a game pad. 2 pro controllers. 2 wii remotes with 2 nunchucks. im not adding the classic controllers to my collection. that is way too many for 1 system tongue.gif
the pro controller is very nice and last long, i wish it was compatible with the wii. come on nintendo. youve been in this business for decades.
post #7 of 28 Old 07-08-2013, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Too many nice Wii games for me to not have one around. I primarily used my WaveBird on my Wii but obviously that doesn't carry over here since that was a GameCube controller.

And my regular Classic Controller is best used with games that rely on digital control like Super Nintendo downloads since the design isn't very comfortable for my hands when using the analog sticks (A common complaint I assume given that they redesigned it to rectify that problem).

And my Hori arcade stick and my Club Nintendo SuperNes controller are both 100% digital.

So it's the Classic Controller Pro for things like Nintendo 64 downloads, Mario Kart Wii, and many other Wii games that had gamepad support but also needed analog sticks where the Wii U is concerned.

But it stinks that a Wii U Pro Controller can't substitute. Even if I already had owned a Classic Controller Pro, it would be nice to have the option since it's fully wireless unlike the Classic Controller Pro that has to be tethered to a Wiimote.
post #8 of 28 Old 07-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

So it's the Classic Controller Pro for things like Nintendo 64 downloads, Mario Kart Wii, and many other Wii games that had gamepad support but also needed analog sticks where the Wii U is concerned.

But it stinks that a Wii U Pro Controller can't substitute. Even if I already had owned a Classic Controller Pro, it would be nice to have the option since it's fully wireless unlike the Classic Controller Pro that has to be tethered to a Wiimote.
As a new Wii U owner, this was a little confusing to me. First, I was surprised that I couldn't redeem an N64 download in the eShop from the Wii U menu, I need to load Wii mode and download from there. That seems pretty silly that there is no centralized download section. Secondly, I can't even load the Wii menu because I don't have any Wii controllers. I never owned a Wii. I am pretty surprised that the Pro Controller can't be used to accomplish this. What a disappointing mess.
post #9 of 28 Old 07-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The VC stuff can be confusing, I admit, but no other console is doing backwards compatibility, and no one has done BC with digital games before. IMO Wii Mode is great. Club Nintendo is another story.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #10 of 28 Old 07-21-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the lack of integration is pretty disappointing and confusing to new purchasers. And the accuracy and compatibility of Wii mode might be top notch and I think Nintendo deserves praise for it, but the system automatically stretching everything during the upscaling process of Wii mode stinks since your 4:3 games are taken along for the ride including Virtual Console purchases that many would prefer to be pillarboxed in order to maintain the correct AR. I still can't believe that Nintendo didn't implement a way to turn stretching on and off for Wii mode's upscaling routine.

While disappointing, the controller situation sadly isn't very surprising with Wii mode I think. The Wii couldn't substitute compatible GameCube controllers for a Classic Controller or vice versa. So I think this was expected even though it would seem reasonable to expect to have the ability for the standard gamepad tablet or Pro Controller to substitute for a Wii Classic Controller when the user desires (Or for a Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro to substitute for a Wii U Pro Controller).
post #11 of 28 Old 07-22-2013, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

The pro controller argument makes sense (and pro controller support is just awful system-wide), but wii mode isn't emulation, it's another processor in the system IIRC. Using the gamepad (even the buttons, since it's not bluetooth) would require more power than a Wii could realistically muster.

post #12 of 28 Old 07-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

To be honest, I bought the Wii U to play Wii U games. The BC is a great add-on and I welcome it. That said, it is mildly annoying to discover that after purchasing a "deluxe" system, you are SOL if you want to run N64 games or Wii mode because no controller is included that would allow you to do that.

I've been a Nintendo supporter since the original NES, but The Big N lost me as a gamer on the Wii for many of the reasons they're trying to correct on Wii U. So I hop back on board the N bus and find out that I need peripherals from the old system I didn't like in order to use all the features of the new system I now have. It just doesn't sound like a well thought out plan, especially for those of us who are "coming back."
post #13 of 28 Old 07-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, hopefully they speed up the release schedule somewhat. It's slowed to a trickle. Even when they deign to release N64 games, it might be a year before we see the popular ones. NES Super Mario Bros and Zelda aren't even out

post #14 of 28 Old 07-22-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

The pro controller argument makes sense (and pro controller support is just awful system-wide), but wii mode isn't emulation, it's another processor in the system IIRC. Using the gamepad (even the buttons, since it's not bluetooth) would require more power than a Wii could realistically muster.

They're just controllers. I really doubt that Nintendo couldn't of easily engineered a solution. But they want to sell the most controllers possible so there's no incentive there.
post #15 of 28 Old 07-22-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

To be honest, I bought the Wii U to play Wii U games. The BC is a great add-on and I welcome it. That said, it is mildly annoying to discover that after purchasing a "deluxe" system, you are SOL if you want to run N64 games or Wii mode because no controller is included that would allow you to do that.
I get the irritation, but I mean, essentially you're being asked to run out and buy additional controllers to take full advantage of your new console, and that's the way it's been since forever. You buy a console these days, you're set to play most single-player games out of the box, and that's it. Anything else, such as multiplayer, or access to an entire retro console included inside that itself houses games from a half-dozen other retro consoles, you'll need to go buy the additional accessories to support it. Maybe I'm naive, but this doesn't strike me as unreasonable or unusual.

I mean, yes, it would be nice for them to pack in a Wiimote, but -- and maybe I've just drank the Kool-Aid -- I feel like expecting them to do so is practically punishing for actually including BC functionality.

And hell, on the flip side, I, as one of the several million people with Wiimotes already lying around, for the first time in generations, didn't have to go out and buy ANY additional controllers at launch. That seems commendable to me.
post #16 of 28 Old 07-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

I get the irritation, but I mean, essentially you're being asked to run out and buy additional controllers to take full advantage of your new console, and that's the way it's been since forever.
I can't recall purchasing any additional controllers for any of my past systems (SNES, SegaCD, 3DO, DC, GC) to utilize functionality that was otherwise included in the box. Even the original NES came with the Zapper for Duck Hunt.
Quote:

I mean, yes, it would be nice for them to pack in a Wiimote, but -- and maybe I've just drank the Kool-Aid -- I feel like expecting them to do so is practically punishing for actually including BC functionality.
And hell, on the flip side, I, as one of the several million people with Wiimotes already lying around, for the first time in generations, didn't have to go out and buy ANY additional controllers at launch. That seems commendable to me.
I was not expecting to get a Wiimote, I was expecting to not even have a need for it. Why should I need THAT to play a game like StarFox? The Wiimote concept was a large reason I avoided the original Wii all together. Now, those of us who are returning for more traditional gaming are being asked to buy the thing we avoided in the first place.
post #17 of 28 Old 07-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

I bought turbo controllers for SNES so I could whoop ass at street fighter. I bought a six button controller for genesis. I bought a light gun for saturn. I'm pretty sure I bought a dualshock for ps1. the first controller didnt have analog sticks.
****, I bought the superscope. God that thing sucked.I remember wanting the the multitap (4 controllers for SNES) and the Super Game Boy but I couldnt afford it

Not being able to use the nunchuk+wiimote for SNES games annoys me, but I dont think it has enough buttons for N64 games.

My living room is a stupid mess of game controllers (though I have gotten rid of all of the above). There's no way I'm getting a pro controller.

post #18 of 28 Old 07-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They're just controllers. I really doubt that Nintendo couldn't of easily engineered a solution. But they want to sell the most controllers possible so there's no incentive there.

Well duh. There's no defense to "Nintendo wants your money."
The solution is supposed to be N64 games in Wii U mode, which Nintendo would have to hire more people to do, destroying their "highest profit per capita" reputation. The point of Wii mode is to provide a transition point for Wii owners, not sell new games or new controllers.

post #19 of 28 Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But they're not just for Wii backwards compatibility and for filling out multiplayer rosters with. Presumably Nintendo wanted motion gaming to maintain a significant presence on the Wii U and so for that has been anything but the case.

Publishers don't like mandating something that doesn't come in the system box and shy away from it.
Quote:

Not being able to use the nunchuk+wiimote for SNES games annoys me, but I dont think it has enough buttons for N64 games.

He wasn't asking to use a Wiimote and nunchuck. What he's saying is that you actually have to have a Wiimote just to enter Wii mode. And once there, you need a Wii Classic Controller in order to play Nintendo 64 games.
Quote:

Well duh. There's no defense to "Nintendo wants your money."
The solution is supposed to be N64 games in Wii U mode, which Nintendo would have to hire more people to do, destroying their "highest profit per capita" reputation. The point of Wii mode is to provide a transition point for Wii owners, not sell new games or new controllers.

The entire point of Wii mode is to make Nintendo money. They didn't include it here out of the kindness of their hearts. And what I'm saying about controllers I think is entirely accurate. I really don't think there's a shred of evidence that it's some sort of major engineering hurdle for Nintendo to have programmed the standard Wii U gamepad or Pro Controller to substitute for a Wii Classic Controller.

And Nintendo 64 games were confirmed for the Wii U Virtual Console a while back along with GBA games.
post #20 of 28 Old 07-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But they're not just for Wii backwards compatibility and for filling out multiplayer rosters with. Presumably Nintendo wanted motion gaming to maintain a significant presence on the Wii U and so for that has been anything but the case.

Publishers don't like mandating something that doesn't come in the system box and shy away from it.
He wasn't asking to use a Wiimote and nunchuck.

I was.

Quote:
What he's saying is that you actually have to have a Wiimote just to enter Wii mode. And once there, you need a Wii Classic Controller in order to play Nintendo 64 games.
The entire point of Wii mode is to make Nintendo money. They didn't include it here out of the kindness of their hearts. And what I'm saying about controllers I think is entirely accurate. I really don't think there's a shred of evidence that it's some sort of major engineering hurdle for Nintendo to have programmed the standard Wii U gamepad or Pro Controller to substitute for a Wii Classic Controller.

And Nintendo 64 games were confirmed for the Wii U Virtual Console a while back along with GBA games.

Gamepad, yes. Pro Controller, no. The Pro controller's bluetooth and a huge waste of money because it lacks support for anything.

Confirmed means they're "working on it" which means squat. The Wii launched with N64 compatibility, the Wii U was launched with nothing and Nintendo is terrified of hiring people to do basic stuff like write emulators or translate games.

post #21 of 28 Old 07-23-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

I can't recall purchasing any additional controllers for any of my past systems (SNES, SegaCD, 3DO, DC, GC) to utilize functionality that was otherwise included in the box.
I was referring to needing to buy additional controllers for multiplayer (i.e., functionality that is otherwise included in the box), which is essentially what the Wiimote is for the Wii U, plus access to Wii mode and alternate control schemes for Wii U games. As it stands now, the Wii U comes with everything you need to play Wii U single-player games and nothing else, which is how it's been since the N64. Everything else, including the ability to play the past generation's games, is additional. I admit there is little precedent for Nintendo's approach to BC, but the only other example is the original Wii, which supported Gamecube discs but certainly didn't come with a Gamecube controller or the necessary GC memory cards. I don't remember much complaining about that. And even on the Wii VC you couldn't play many games out of the box -- you needed to go out and buy a Classic Controller, or use a GC one.
Quote:
I was not expecting to get a Wiimote, I was expecting to not even have a need for it. Why should I need THAT to play a game like StarFox? The Wiimote concept was a large reason I avoided the original Wii all together. Now, those of us who are returning for more traditional gaming are being asked to buy the thing we avoided in the first place.
I'm certainly not defending Nintendo's weird ultra-segmented Virtual Console service across Wii/Wii U/3DS, but well, most of the retro games are currently only available on the original Wii's VC, and again, I don't see it as unreasonable to require a Wiimote for access to Wii features. Especially when their competitors aren't offering any BC at all. If you don't ever want to buy a Wiimote at all, well, Starfox etc. will eventually be out on the Wii U VC, you just have to wait. For probably way too long.

We can argue whether Nintendo's approach is stupid all day long (and honestly, I don't totally disagree with you), but I'm just saying it's not without precedent, or even logic.
post #22 of 28 Old 07-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

I agree, we each have our own perspectives on this. I can certainly see that if you already own a Wii you could probably care less about how the VC games are split between the two modes.

As for my situation, I still maintain that it would be much more ideal to have them reside in one area. The easiest solution for me is to simply dig out the actual N64 from the basement when I want to play, and stop complaining.
post #23 of 28 Old 07-23-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I mean, it's not like I don't also want a unified VC (including the 3DS, in my pipe dreams), full Gamepad implementation in Wii mode, etc., I just get why they're doing things the way they are. I think it would be *nice* to have these things, obviously, I just don't expect them. Anyway, sorry if I came off too preachy.

On another note, I got a white pro controller from Best Buy the other day for $25. I wonder when I'll actually have a game to use it for!
post #24 of 28 Old 07-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On another note, I got a white pro controller from Best Buy the other day for $25. I wonder when I'll actually have a game to use it for!
Hah, that's what started my disbelief that it couldn't be used for the VC in Wii mode. I have a black one that came with the ZombiU bundle, and have now found that its only purpose is to serve as a backup for Mario when the Gamepad needs charged.
post #25 of 28 Old 07-23-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, to be fair, three of my four Wii U games (NSMB, Sonic Racing, ZombiU) actually do support the Pro Controller, I'll just never use it for them. The stated purpose of the Pro Controller is basically "for when you don't feel like holding the Gamepad!" and well, I like using the Gamepad. I'm not even sure why I bought the Pro, other than being pathologically incapable of resisting a sale.
post #26 of 28 Old 07-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

each person is different, i like the gamepad alot when playing zombieU. i use the pro controller for games like mario or racing games. and for certain sports games i love the wii remote. it works good. i like having a selection. my main gripe is that the classic controller is needed for original wii game on the wii U. too bad the pro controller cant replace the classic controller yet.
post #27 of 28 Old 07-24-2013, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gamepad, yes. Pro Controller, no. The Pro controller's bluetooth and a huge waste of money because it lacks support for anything.

Confirmed means they're "working on it" which means squat. The Wii launched with N64 compatibility, the Wii U was launched with nothing and Nintendo is terrified of hiring people to do basic stuff like write emulators or translate games.

I wasn't talking about opinions on the Pro Controller. I'm talking about how I think it's lousy, cheap, and unfriendly to the consumer that it can't be utilized as a Wii Classic Controller on a Wii U in 'Wii Mode'.

As for the rest, I gather you're unhappy. But your earlier post made it sound like Nintendo 64 games weren't coming to the Wii U's Virtual Console and that's just plain incorrect based on their official announcements.

It may not be coming fast enough, but N64 games are certainly on their way. Sadly I expect that the selection will be little better than it was on the original Wii though where many 1st/2nd party releases were absent like Pilotwings 64 and 3rd party support was nonexistent (Unless Orge Battle 64 was 3rd party).

But it's at least better than the situation for non Nintendo platforms on the Wii U's VC.
post #28 of 28 Old 07-27-2013, 10:29 AM

Liked: 10
Actually the "Wii mode" is virtualized. It's like a virtual OS that hooks into existing hardware which the Wii U also happens to use. It's just that specific chips are throttled back and only certain allocation of memory on a whole bunch of chips.. it's an incredible design considering backwards compatibility. They went this route so they could build on the same architecture for the future.. basically the next handheld by Nintendo will be somewhere between a Wii and a Wii U shrunk down.. no need to learn new software or build new development kits.. it will be incredibly mature.. in fact I think the next console/handheld will be a hybrid.. basically a DS on steroids and at home a small form factor console that allows you to play home console experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page