The Death of the Wii - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 49 Old 10-18-2013, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 214
It has 512MB of flash memory. But after you take into account the actual size of it and any areas of it that are reserved for other functions, 256MB probably isn't too far off the mark for the savable area of it that you can store DLC and saved games to.

You can transfer your Wii DLC to a Wii U. That's the extent of your transfer options at this time for your Wii DLC and saved games. And your Wii needs to be in working order during the transfer process.

If your system fails, your only avenue to keep your DLC is to have Nintendo repair it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 10-18-2013, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So putting all on a SD card (2Gb) is out of the question?
post #33 of 49 Old 10-18-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Out of the question as in you can't just do that to transfer your content to another Wii?

That's correct because some game saves are locked and can't manually be copied to the SD card and your DLC licenses that allow your DLC to function are tied to the system.
post #34 of 49 Old 11-04-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

It won't be of much worth to the typical AVS user, but the Wii Mini is confirmed for the US this month and will be priced at $99.99 and include Mario Kart Wii. Hopefully it also means that the Nintendo Selects lineup will be restarted.

To recap the Wii saga in recent months, here's what has gone on.

-Partial shutdown of online services leaving only the critical functionality online like the Wii Shop, remaining online multiplayer titles, and video apps (i.e., the stuff the average Wii user actually used more than a few times).

-A budget redesign called the Wii Mini with virtually all non essential features stripped out to cut cost has been slowly rolling out worldwide.

-Virtual Console and WiiWare services appear to have seen their last new releases judging by several months of inactivity.

-Retail releases down to almost nothing with Pandora's Tower in April likely the last release of possible interest for most adult gamers.

-The backwards compatible model of the Wii that has been produced solely for Japan in recent years has been discontinued leaving Japan without a Wii offering at this time.

-The initial Wii revision without BC but otherwise with things like Wifi capabilities intact was recently discontinued for Europe leaving only the new Wii Mini. The older model is confirmed to remain available at this time for North America alongside the new Wii Mini for at least the 2013 Christmas season.
post #35 of 49 Old 11-05-2013, 12:09 PM

Liked: 22
Now they are soon selling a wii mini. lol Still good value when that is released, other than no online.
post #36 of 49 Old 11-05-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah but someone buying a seven year old console probably wasn't going to bother with downloading games and playing the remnants of the Wii's online multiplayer enabled games still active anyways. I could see a few older customers wanting to do Netflix after seeing it running on a friend's or relative's home via a Wii, but I bet most of these are given to children for Christmas.

Same with component video. The typical type of customer you're getting at this point isn't the type that is going to go out and buy a superior video cable. Often, they couldn't even tell you the names of these different cables anyways and aren't aware. It's parents buying them for younger kids and very casual users that are buying these just to play a few disc games. They're customers that are always just going to plug it in with what it came with and leave it at that.

So it should be well suited for what they're aiming it at just like the 2DS. Only the dedicated gamer at a place like this is likely to fault devices like this but that's a mistake since these things were never designed as an upgrade path for us. So of course we wouldn't be satisfied but we're not the ones they're even after with these revisions.
post #37 of 49 Old 11-06-2013, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It should at least at out sell the Wii U. :-/

I wonder how successful it was in Canada and Europe. By itself a bad idea, but bundled with Mario Kart is pretty damn smart imo.
post #38 of 49 Old 02-28-2014, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Nintendo squeezes the jugular a little tighter.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/vyWpoM6CBIe6FjW8NIY7bvzOrgBURhzw

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #39 of 49 Old 03-25-2014, 08:34 PM

If you haven't figured it out yet, the Wii Mini is worth more for the bundled game than the hardware itself.

No WiFi connection, so no online, Netflix nor Gamecube support.
Composite Video only, not even component video available.
No SD card support (moot, since you can't use DLCs anyway)
Disc drive is a tray loader

My Wii is a Mexican 2006 model. It's so far out of warranty that I've decided to go ahead and hard-mod it. The worst thing that'll happen is that I'll brick it and be forced to buy a Wii U (My kids love the Lego Games and Guitar Hero/Rock Band)
post #40 of 49 Old 04-18-2014, 01:17 PM

Bummer, no more MK Wii after May ... Spent many, and a few still, hours playing that game online...

Have a good one,

neomaine
post #41 of 49 Old 04-18-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Wii Mini isn't a bad buy. You'd spend about $30-$40 acquiring the game new if bought separately, $30 or so for a Motion Plus Wiimote, and $20 for a new nunchuck. Not worth it for the videophille, but that segment isn't the one interested in buying 7 year old gaming hardware. For the younger fans, I bet many are getting good use out of it and serving as a child's first gaming system is what I suspect they primarily were eyeing with this.

If the controllers were black, especially if I hadn't bought Mario Kart Wii at release years ago, I'd of been tempted since I needed a new Motion Plus Wiimote and wanted a nunchuck to match my Wii U. Hard to complain about a ~$20 or so game console even if it wouldn't of been used for more than just putting it through its paces checking it out before boxing it back up.
post #42 of 49 Old 04-19-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I love the Wii, only because it has Mario Kart and Mario Party, but as a piece of hardware and an ecosystem, what a POS. They should have supported HD via HDMI port. Now the Wii is this bizarre dinosaur that needs component video. It's the only device I have that needs component, everything else is composite or HDMI. Yay for standardizing everything on HDMI-NOT! The online account system is a disaster.

The Wii Mini evokes a strong reaction of "WTF were they thinking?" They degraded from 480p component to 480i composite, dropped online, the SD card, and Gamecube controller support, all of which were essential to the Wii the first time around.

I can't wait for the Wii U with Mario Kart in HD, but man, it's been WAY too long coming. Nintendo is just not with the program.
post #43 of 49 Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Nintendo of Europe has the right idea...

Four more budget rereleases joining the Nintendo Selects lineup this June. I'll never understand why Nintendo of America introduced the Wii Mini but didn't launch a line of rereleases of popular titles to accompany it (Our Nintendo Selects line ended after the first wave of releases in 2011).

The most activity we've had has been price drops to $30 on New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2 a year or so ago, yet they didn't even bother reprinting SMG2 when they did that. Been a long time now since I last saw that one at retail where as the white cased rerelease of NSMBWii is at least widely available.
post #44 of 49 Old 04-30-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Nintendo of Europe has the right idea...

Four more budget rereleases joining the Nintendo Selects lineup this June. I'll never understand why Nintendo of America introduced the Wii Mini but didn't launch a line of rereleases of popular titles to accompany it (Our Nintendo Selects line ended after the first wave of releases in 2011).

The most activity we've had has been price drops to $30 on New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2 a year or so ago, yet they didn't even bother reprinting SMG2 when they did that. Been a long time now since I last saw that one at retail where as the white cased rerelease of NSMBWii is at least widely available.

The Wii is sort of a lose cause at this point, since it doesn't support HD. The Wii U might be mildly successful, although I'm not sure even MK8 can make it that successful, even though MK8 is the trigger that's going to cause me to get one and a bunch of games for it.
post #45 of 49 Old 04-30-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Even judging by the most recent numbers and the relative lack of budget priced rereleases, the Wii is still hanging on. The latest numbers floating around show the Wii selling 50% of that of the Wii U and the Wii was ahead of the Wii U for most of last year until Nintendo finally started to build a small amount of momentum when their big Fall releases and a price drop appeared.

But why release a budget Wii without a full line of quality budget software offerings for it for customers to purchase to play on it? Not only would that seem like an obvious step to take in conjunction with releasing a budget revision of the console, but I'm sure they'd sell a fair share of things like Super Mario Galaxy 2 at $20 to Wii U owners that never experienced it originally.

Instead, games like that and Skyward Sword have long been absent from retail shelves.
post #46 of 49 Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Even judging by the most recent numbers and the relative lack of budget priced rereleases, the Wii is still hanging on. The latest numbers floating around show the Wii selling 50% of that of the Wii U and the Wii was ahead of the Wii U for most of last year until Nintendo finally started to build a small amount of momentum when their big Fall releases and a price drop appeared.

But why release a budget Wii without a full line of quality budget software offerings for it for customers to purchase to play on it? Not only would that seem like an obvious step to take in conjunction with releasing a budget revision of the console, but I'm sure they'd sell a fair share of things like Super Mario Galaxy 2 at $20 to Wii U owners that never experienced it originally.

Instead, games like that and Skyward Sword have long been absent from retail shelves.

I think that's more retailer-driven than Nintendo. Within 6 months of launch Wii U was a dusty placeholder at most stores, sales were slowing to a crawl and major retail chains weren't about to give them more shelf space for anything. I'm guessing Wii Mini was more a (misguided) attempt to move consoles of any type and regain some goodwill with stores and customers, but that was also flop-tastic... so the Wii games that were selling stayed on shelf and the rest went into clearance fairly quickly. SS was strange, it sold like like 3.5 million copies... but it was on sale for $15 by mid 2012 in some places (Best Buy) and then disappeared completely. The last copy I saw at retail was a $19.99 clearance copy at Target in February... a lonely, out of place gem sitting next to "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" and "Jumper" (true story).

Not to say that a Nintendo Selects line wouldn't sell well, but given the low install base of the Wii U and the largely uninterested Wii crowd these days, I'm gonna bet that software sales would only increase slightly regardless of how great the titles were.

I'm still confused about who is buying Wii's at this point, too. NPD numbers last month had like 70K for Wii U and 30K for Wii... maybe it's just people rebuying them to replace sold/broken ones and clear their games back catalog? I haven't seen anyone walk out of a store with a Wii box in months, it's a complete shock to me that they're still selling at the rate they are- that's 1,000 per day, and it's 2014!
post #47 of 49 Old 05-01-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Nintendo should just give up and pull a Sega. They would sell Mario games for XBOX ONE like hotcakes! Heck, they could build their own controllers, the box in the middle doesn't really matter, and software is where the crazy high margins are anyways... And make games for PS4, PC, iOS, Android, and maybe keep the dedicated handheld market and stagger release games eventually to other platforms from those...
post #48 of 49 Old 05-01-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

The quality of Sega's internal game development has nosedived. Beyond the rare exception, most of their interesting material is just rereleases of classic Sega content. Been a long time since a gem like Outrun 2 appeared.

If 8 year olds ever stop getting a kick out of Sonic and they actually have to produce a quality game again, they're gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

SS was strange, it sold like like 3.5 million copies... but it was on sale for $15 by mid 2012 in some places (Best Buy) and then disappeared completely. The last copy I saw at retail was a $19.99 clearance copy at Target in February... a lonely, out of place gem sitting next to "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" and "Jumper" (true story).

That surprises me since it stayed $50 around here and never seemed to dip significantly below that mark online as well. Wish I had taken advantage of that deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

I'm still confused about who is buying Wii's at this point, too. NPD numbers last month had like 70K for Wii U and 30K for Wii... maybe it's just people rebuying them to replace sold/broken ones and clear their games back catalog?

Come Christmas, I'm sure it's mostly parents buying them. An area where the stripped down Wii Mini remains a perfect fit.

No clue how they managed to sell 30,000 of them in the United States with those most recent figures. But the system is getting old enough now where people that left it behind years ago might be feeling nostalgic or want to return to check out some things they missed out on, so that segment might be a significant one now that it's $99.
post #49 of 49 Old 05-03-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

The quality of Sega's internal game development has nosedived. Beyond the rare exception, most of their interesting material is just rereleases of classic Sega content. Been a long time since a gem like Outrun 2 appeared.

I have no idea what Sega is doing nowadays. Its like they've forgotten about all the IPs under their umbrella from their glory days. Streets of Rage? Ecco? Phantasy star? Dragonforce? Panzer dragoon? Shinobi?

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

Reply Nintendo