The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Holy crap, yet another thing I lost in my fire that was worth a lot... oh well, I struck gold on a few other items I bought since then so I'm not too upset.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I sold mine for the range those sold ones are at. I never use my GC because I have an original wii stilla dn can play them on that. I thought of keeping the GC and selling the wii instead though.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:31 AM

Wowzers. Speaking of Gamecube games, I was going to play old baseball games on it in a few (through wii) and saw I have unopened Animal Crossing and unopened Paper Mario, so fi I don't want to keep them, I see they go for a combined $130 or so on ebay. So I just found $100+ sitting with my used games. lol I would kind of want to play paper Mario, though, so I dunno. I really doubt I would care to play Animal Crossing. I also have Metroid Prime Trilogy for Wii, unused, but I did take the plastic off of it. And new super Mario bros. for wii I took plastic off, but is unused. Paper Mario for wii I played one or two times.

So if I DO sell the two sealed games, then I will have made almost $300 just from a component cable and two old games. And I believe I only paid around $80 for them when I bought them. About $20 per game and $40 for the cable IIRC. I should sell some of my other used GC games and Wii games and I could maybe have enough for a ps4 instead of ps3, when I return my 3ds xl and Zelda.

edit: Sweet. Wind Waker and Melee, both used, will get me another $80-$100 on ebay. I'm kinda a purist, but I don't think I will ever be tempted to haul out my gamecube version of WW just to have more hauling of treasure and no fast sail. I could sell my used one for $40 and then it means the HD one only cost me $10. And I never could get into Melee. it seemed boring to me.

Eh, did not all MP trilogy games come as steelbook? because I see ones which mention it online get $70-$80, used, while ones which don't mention it get $50. I have steelbook. I may try to sell it as New other because I never even opened the game case. Maybe I should play them, since I never have, though, to get sue of them, then sell them used and still egt that $70+, but just delayed.

Wow, again. I have NCAA College Basketball 2k3 for GC and it sold for freakin $375 on ebay, but it was sealed. Unsealed SOME will pay around $100, but some go for $50. I would hate to sell it as I don't recall another bball game I have (college) other than from years earlier than that one. I remember even from DAY ONE of its release it was almost nowhere to be found and I think I had to get one where they had opened the box and I believe they claimed it was unused and only opened to put the display case out.

Well, off to Nostalgia Land, as I am going to go play MVP Baseball 2005 and this bball game.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Unless one wants to take maximum advantage of the Game Boy Player, you'd have to be nuts to pay these prices when you could get a mint backwards compatible Wii and a component cable for half the asking price of those auctions.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:14 AM

When I sold mine, it was within a couple hours of me even trying to, I believe. Same with my oppo 93. I decided on a whim to sell it, then sold it to someone on this site within a couple hours of deciding to not keep it. Now if only someone would buy one of my elites, which they insist "I am lying" about having sisues. If they think that is the case, you'd think they'd rush to buy it from me.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
The GC component cable wasn't just a cable, the connector had a proprietary D-A converter ASIC built into it which is why there was never any third-party versions made. They were discontinued after a couple years along with the removal of the Digital Out port on the Gamecube due to lack of use at the time.

If you want to play Gamecube games at 480p its cheaper to get a used Wii and some Monoprice component cables for it.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

Eh, did not all MP trilogy games come as steelbook? because I see ones which mention it online get $70-$80, used, while ones which don't mention it get $50. I have steelbook. I may try to sell it as New other because I never even opened the game case. Maybe I should play them, since I never have, though, to get sue of them, then sell them used and still egt that $70+, but just delayed.

The non-steelbook copies are most likely the "fake used" GameStop repackagings

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Old 02-07-2014, 05:05 PM

Well, I haven't played WW in like a week, but think I will go play it again. Shows how interested I stay in it, although part of the reason is my hand is injured. I am on the boss at the end of dungeon 2 and the whole hero mode is seriously getting annoying because of how foten I run out of hearts on boring parts way before anything important and have to redo them.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:59 AM

lol. I keep "running out of hearts", if ya know what I mean. More rewarding when beating bosses, I guess, though. On the level 2 boss, I got beat at least 5 or more times because the stupid thing always gets those legs or w/e you wanna call them back up before I can get them all. But finally beat him and got to the point of putting those pearls where they go (I quit for now, with two to still place, though).

This game could have been good if they had actually put many dungeons in it. If someone anted to badly enough they could probably finish the whole game in a day, whereas some other Zelda games take me a month or two. How they could only make so few dungeons when working on it for several years beats me.

I forgot hero mode means double damage... That explains why I keep having to redo things.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Look up some Zelda speed runs, even the "legit" ones can be pretty short. (Legit as in no skipping events through glitches)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 02-08-2014, 11:58 PM

I know, but still I am slow on Zelda games and like t do various things and I bet even I could finish this one in a day if I wanted. A Zelda game needs to have at least 6 TRUE dungeons to even be close to ok length-wise and even then I am disappointed if it's under 9 including the final battle dungeon.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Look up some Zelda speed runs, even the "legit" ones can be pretty short. (Legit as in no skipping events through glitches)

Wind Waker ran a good length of time I thought.

A decade has now passed, but it was a ~30 hour experience as I recall and I didn't even bother with the statue side quest (I didn't even find the camera until late in the game) and other odds and ends like locating all heart pieces. I wish it had more dungeons since more dungeons are always better and I hate that there were some unrealized aspects like that. But I never bemoaned their loss because it wasn't long enough.

It's definitely not a game that a typical player could finish in 1 day. For the typical Zelda gamer that focused on the main quest and didn't let themselves get sidetracked much, I bet we're talking at least 25 hours the first time through.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know, but still I am slow on Zelda games and like t do various things and I bet even I could finish this one in a day if I wanted. A Zelda game needs to have at least 6 TRUE dungeons to even be close to ok length-wise and even then I am disappointed if it's under 9 including the final battle dungeon.

Wind Waker is the only one that I don't think I could finish in one day. There is too much to do between dungeons.

Skyward Sword might be tricky, but I haven't even attempted a second run yet so I have no clue on that one.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 02-09-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

You could finish something like Ocarina of Time in a day?

I'm impressed but I assume in most instances, it makes for an awfully long day.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

You could finish something like Ocarina of Time in a day?

I'm impressed but I assume in most instances, it makes for an awfully long day.

Ocarina is the only 3D title I have managed it, the game is pretty short if you stick to a plan even if you go after all the item upgrades and hearts. Hyrule Field is the time killer.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 02-09-2014, 02:36 PM

OoT has a ton of dungeons, so I really never understood the good speed runs accomplished on that one.

For me to be more specific, I think WW is the only Zelda game which could be finished in a day without rushing through it to get no enjoyment out of it.

Like I said, I am playing all Zelda games again and started with LoZ and when I got to certain games like Majora's Mask and Four Swords Adventures, it took a lot of time to finish them. Pretty sad when a filler Zelda game like FSA is a lot longer than a game Nintendo recharged $50 to get a decade after its first release. For them to try to milk money off of an old game, to this extent, when other old games are $10, they should have refrained from being lazy and added two dungeons. AT ELAST one dungeon where you get the freakin third pearl, as it makes no sense having it where you do it for two and not the third.

Wind Waker's full array of dungeons is not even half as many as OoT has. I remember when I played OoT, I usually spent a day on each dungeon (I didn't play many hours a day, but just saying). I probably got at least 40 hours of use out of the first playthrough. I managed to get 100+ hours out of WW, TP, and SS, but how in the world I got that many out of WW beats me. Probably because a lot of times I would just ride on that dumb boat for no reason and also pulling up all those treasure chests with rupees, which are barely worth getting in this game. I am playing hero mode so could use some potions, and still I am always full of rupees. I have alreadyw asted several purple rupees I got while full. Now I finally got that 1,000 rupee wallet so finally can gain more rupees.

I just think it's pretty ridiculous to think a game with barely any dungeons can be claimed by ANYONE to be "the best" Zelda game. Let's hope Nintendo doesn't read any of their posts on sites or we'll start getting Zelda games with two dungeons and a bunch of unnecessary treasure chests.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:02 AM

I still haven't gone to the tower of the gods or w/e it's called. lol I kept going around talking to stupid fishes. It's kind of fun having them fill out the map, but it sure gets old after a while and especially when they give you tips you can't yet use so I have to remember which areas they told various things in.

Really I think I have to rate this Zelda game second to last of all Zelda games, not because it's "bad", but the others are too good to put below it and I only put FSA below it because it's a side story and not traditional Zelda console game.

To make this a masterpiece all Nintendo had to do was make more dungeons and then make better payoffs for defeating enemies in the overworld because I am tired of climbing ladders to those watchtowers only to get rupees for defeating the enemies.

When you think about it, the gamecube was a huge fail for Zelda games because the ALL THREE gamecube zeldas are at the bottom of the list of console Zelda games. Like I said FSA at bottom, WW, right above it, then the GC TP is meaningless because most people got the wii one. Although I should buy the GC one just for a change of pace.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

The Gamecube TP was the better game. No mirror mode and better sword play. The bow controls will be missed as will the 16:9 support, but I still prefer it.
Leo_Ames likes this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 02-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I remember having to mail away for my component GameCube cables, I'm not certain they were ever sold at a retailer. I was surprised a few months ago to see that they were selling for so much. Regardless of that fact, I simply can't part with them.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

I think that's a case of the seller confusing composite with component, what's pictured are not the component cables.

Without derailing the thread, unless that links to a different auction, the component cables were most certainly listed and described in the listing. There is even a separate picture of just the component cable.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Old 02-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Correct. I could only see the first pic initially. The second pic is simply the GC component cable. OP edited.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:26 PM

Probably should have just kept mine because $100-$150 isn't much in the longrun. I wish I had kept the component cable and then sold the wii instead. I thought it would be better to just keep the wii for playing gc games on, but I'm sure the wii would be more likely to break than the gamecube . Also, the GC TP can't really be better because it's the same game only reversed. Also, I thought it was also 16:9. That reminds me to not buy it because I hate anything not 16:9 now.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The Gamecube TP was the better game. No mirror mode and better sword play. The bow controls will be missed as will the 16:9 support, but I still prefer it.

I agree.

I think that the decrease in quality due to anamorphic widescreen over 4:3 is more apparent in Twilight Princess than many 16:9 Wii titles. And I generally preferred the GCN controls over the fake motion Wii waggle controls in the Wii version that merely took the place of button presses (Except of course a few instances likes the bow & arrow as you said). And it's seeing how the game was originally envisioned since the entire environment isn't mirrored like you said. It's not necessarily better this way with everything in its original orientation, but it's correct (Or at least reflects their original vision) and that's enough to lend some desirability to it for a Zelda fan on that factor alone. And of course, it doesn't have that game crippling bug to concern yourself with that some players encountered on the Wii port.

So the 4:3 only GCN release is my preferred way to enjoy this game even though I couldn't resist picking up the Wii version a year after launch along with my Wii just to see a Zelda game in 16:9 widescreen (even though I had just finished the GCN version a few months earlier).
Old 02-11-2014, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Does the GameCube version of TP have a 4:3 letterbox setting that you could at least zoom in on with a 16:9 tv? I know I did that for RE4.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Probably should have just kept mine because $100-$150 isn't much in the longrun. I wish I had kept the component cable and then sold the wii instead. I thought it would be better to just keep the wii for playing gc games on, but I'm sure the wii would be more likely to break than the gamecube . Also, the GC TP can't really be better because it's the same game only reversed. Also, I thought it was also 16:9. That reminds me to not buy it because I hate anything not 16:9 now.

Like most Wii games, Twilight Princess uses stretching to achieve a 16:9 image. Same number of pixels in play just a different rendering method.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 02-11-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

Does the GameCube version of TP have a 4:3 letterbox setting that you could at least zoom in on with a 16:9 tv? I know I did that for RE4.

No, Twilight Princess is true full screen 4:3 on the GameCube. Zooming in on it will result in the loss of screen area at the top and bottom of the screen. And stretching it will distort it without an appropriate anamorphic widescreen mode to first switch to.

So it's not letterboxed 4:3 like Resident Evil 4 was that you could zoom in on a 16:9 tv to achieve what amounts to full screen 16:9 widescreen (Beyond Good & Evil is another that lacked an anamorphic widescreen mode yet was a letterboxed 16:9 picture within a 4:3 frame that you could use your tv's zoom feature on to achieve full screen 16:9).
Old 02-11-2014, 01:55 PM

You can achieve it no matter what the original ratio is. Achieving it with all the picture visible is another story, but I sometimes would rather play a distorted widescreen than a 4:3 with huge black areas on each side. Also the way TP is "supposed to be" is how it is released. You can't say Nintendo intended it to be seen the GC way because if they did, it would have been released only that way. You could just as easily say you won't play Wind Waker because the design team INTENDED to have two more dungeons in it, anyway.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:18 AM

I forgot T of the G was an actual dungeon... So if you count that and forsaken fortress as dungeons, then it has an "ok" number, although even still they are too short for that few to be included. Even with MM's huge dungeons, it needed a couple more.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:19 AM

Oh also the king of red lions needs to shut up. His helping is possibly even worse and more annoying than the helpers in any other Zelda games. REALLY he has to TELL me one of those helper statues can stay behind while I use it to get me into another room? Players REALLY need help on that, yet on much harder stuff he shuts up?
Old 02-17-2014, 04:53 PM

Well, this game is quite fun again once I am far into it. And the first playthrough on GC was fun. It just isn't high up on the list of great Zelda games, though, and takes time to get into it a second playthrough. Also, I have hated ever since Zelda games gave pieces of heart. You don't feel much gratification to do a long sidequest and then get something that doesn't even immediately help you. And all those chests with purple rupees. Nice dramatic music just to show the same thing every time.

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd