The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 124 Old 08-16-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Looks gorgeous! I really hope they make a new Zelda as well with the same art style.

http://www.zelda.com/windwaker/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 124 Old 08-16-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
This looks magnificent. I've always loved Wind Waker.
post #3 of 124 Old 08-16-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 211
As long as they don't copy the character art style which I thought was mostly awful, I'd be all for Zelda U copying this style. I didn't think that characters like Link came anywhere close to living up to the magnificent looking environments.

And I wouldn't want it to slow a new Zelda, but I'd love it if they give Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword similar treatment eventually since this looks great (although Skyward Sword's heavy use of Motion Plus might be an issue). Bring on more GCN/Wii HD remakes as far as I'm concerned.

Sounds like there's a option to increase the difficulty of the game which takes care of my prime complaint with the GameCube original (The fetch quest everyone hates on never bothered me). Hopefully they also made that annoying wand animation that you had to sit through every single time you changed the direction of the wind skippable this time around.

Making the figurine quest not have anything be missable would also be nice unlike the original that had 2 or 3 enemies you would never see again to photograph if you missed them at your first and only chance to photogrph (beyond the obvious bosses). And of course more dungeons would be nice of course but I think it's already confirmed that no scrapped dungeon designs that were cut back in the day are being finished and incorporated here.
post #4 of 124 Old 08-17-2013, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

And I wouldn't want it to slow a new Zelda, but I'd love it if they give Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword similar treatment eventually since this looks great (although Skyward Sword's heavy use of Motion Plus might be an issue). Bring on more GCN/Wii HD remakes as far as I'm concerned.

I imagine one reason why Windwaker was chosen for a Wii U remake( asides from that artstyle looking glorious in HD) is due to lack of gamecube BC. The Wii Zeldas are, of course, playable on Wii U....

Out of interest, what other titles would you like remade?

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #5 of 124 Old 08-17-2013, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

From the GameCube era, I'd love to see HD upgrades for the two Rogue Squadron games, Eternal Darkness, and Super Mario Sunshine (With optional Wii controller support for FLUDD). And it's still in my backlog after years, but I have a suspicion that Luigi's Mansion will join that list someday.

And I've yet to try or even purchase any of the well liked Time Splitters series that apparently has much in common with Rare's classic N64 shooters. So I would love to jump right in with an HD rerelease of all three games on a single disc.

Spanning both the GameCube and Wii eras, an HD release for Metroid Prime Trilogy is a must. I'm sure Metroid Prime 3 could be adapted for gamepad controls and carrying over what would now be optional Wii controller support is a must. And Twilight Princess of course is a perfect candidate.

From the Wii, the two Super Mario Galaxy titles and Skyward Sword would top my list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

The Wii Zeldas are, of course, playable on Wii U....

Look how nice they look being rendered in HD via Dolphin. The visual boost over mere upscaling is tremendous. And that's just with the original code running unchanged and thus without such enhancements as the upgraded lighting system, upgraded textures, and other improvements that Nintendo is throwing at Wind Waker.

So I hope they don't let Wii BC stop them. The bigger roadblock I suspect with a game like Skyward Sword is the high degree of motion control integration.
post #6 of 124 Old 08-17-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, a few of those titles are on my personal wishlist as well, especially Metroid Prime Trilogy. Didn't think about Rogue Leader but now that you mention it, we're certainly due for a new entry if not a remake, especially since the last one came out a decade ago. But, doesn't EA have exclusives rights now to make Star Wars games in general, or just the Battlefront series?

post #7 of 124 Old 08-17-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

It's my understanding that EA has exclusive rights. And with Factor 5 being defunct, it doesn't bode well for its chances. But I didn't say that my list was necessarily easy or likely. smile.gif

Getting back on topic, I notice after clicking on those screenshots of Wind Waker HD that it seems they've toned down what would be called bloom. Looks a good bit better I think than the preliminary shots they showed off did where the lighting was perhaps a bit overdone.
post #8 of 124 Old 08-18-2013, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

It's my understanding that EA has exclusive rights. And with Factor 5 being defunct, it doesn't bode well for its chances. But I didn't say that my list was necessarily easy or likely. smile.gif

Well hell, if we're allowed to put forth games that are neither easy nor likely the I'd like to see an HD remake of Donkey Kong 64. I can still hear the silly music from this Rare classic!!biggrin.gif

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #9 of 124 Old 08-18-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully they at least release that on the Wii U's Virtual Console. Even if Rare has some say in it, they'd likely agree if compensated since it's not like playing hard ball is going to do them any good.

The Wii's Virtual Console was able to render the games at 480p and between that and component connections, it provided a very nice upgrade over the original hardware. If the Wii U's N64 emulator that is confirmed to be in the works does similarly, at least it would be rendered in HD and not just upscaled.

Should make it look even better and would also eliminate the need for upscaling to go on.
post #10 of 124 Old 08-18-2013, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Better graphics would certainly make N64 VC worth the wait.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #11 of 124 Old 08-20-2013, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

IGN reported a rumor of a Wind Waker HD bundle this Fall. Would be a far more appealing pack-in to me than Nintendoland was.
post #12 of 124 Old 08-21-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

^ That could move some units, would be nice if they went with a special Zelda-themed unit, either black and gold trim or maybe even a gold unit. The value of Nintendoland has plummeted, so if they want to keep that $349 price maybe they'll include that alongside Windwaker, even if it's a downloaded copy.

post #13 of 124 Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Kind of surprised there was never a NSMB bundle. That game is excellent, and I hated the wii version.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #14 of 124 Old 08-21-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't see why they don't have both options available, a Zelda bundle and Mario one, if only as a holiday special.....

post #15 of 124 Old 08-24-2013, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

A new Wind Waker HD trailer included this.

No special Zelda graphics on the console and gamepad suits me just fine if this is a promotion for the rumored console bundle. I don't like it when hardware is customized for a game specific bundle. Not sure why but it has always been a turn-off. [Edit: Upon closer inspection, there are some inconspicuous Zelda markings on the gamepad]

And IGN has a glowing preview of the game up now as well. One of the couple of bits of new information (To me, at least) was that the opening portion of the Hyrule Castle segment now isn't in black & white and has a sepia tint.

Can't find a good quality shot of the original but I think it was more effective the other way. But all in all, I'm liking what I'm reading and I think they're effectively addressing everything that I had hoped they would.
post #16 of 124 Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

The price will be $49.99 which I think was already strongly rumored. There's also a special edition with a Ganon figurine for those that go for that kind of stuff for just an extra $10.
post #17 of 124 Old 08-29-2013, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The one with the Ganon figure is only through Gamestop. I just pre-ordered mine.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #18 of 124 Old 08-29-2013, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

It's also only $54.99 according to what I just read. [Edit: Apparently what Nintendo announced was $54.99 but GameStop is tacking on $5 to it and since it's exclusive to them, it effectively makes it $59.99 for the special edition with the figurine. Explains the two different numbers I was seeing at least.]
post #19 of 124 Old 08-29-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
I'll be getting that LE, I want that figure!

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #20 of 124 Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have Zelda WW HD pre ordered and looking forward to playing it on my first ever projection setup in a month or two. It came just in time!

I too would love to see more of these HD remakes as long as they are doing full texture upgrades at the same time. Only the more cartoony visuals will truly still amaze I suspect. The original animations would need to be top notch.

Metroid Prime is the most obvious title for me but it might not be cartoony enough and frankly it is time for another entry in the series anyway so I would rather the studios put their resources into a new game at this point. I was really hoping to see it unveiled at E3 but we got another DK game. I will take it but it is not what I wanted and not what I think Nintendo should have been doing with their talent on the Wii U.

So in the end I would most love to see more of the Zelda games. Namely Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Those would top my list.

Mario Galaxy would be cool but I kinda thought those games already looked good. On the other hand TP in particular suffers quite a bit when blown up to any larger size.

Honorable mention would be Mario Kart, Okami, and RE4.
post #21 of 124 Old 09-25-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Okami and Resident Evil 4 already have HD remakes so hopefully that improves the chances of ports to the Wii U. I'd love to see those be ported over to the Wii U on retail disc and with gamepad & optional Wii controls. And Resident Evil 4 could use texture work since it didn't seem as if they were revamped any on the PS3/360 like most of the better received HD updates have done.

There was a promising sounding piece making the rounds a few days ago about Metroid and how Nintendo considers it a major franchise that they want to do more with in the future and that Retro Studios would certainly be in contention when the time is right for another Metroid (and that Retro has the capacity to handle more than one big project at once these days).

So we just might get Metroid Prime 4 yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

So in the end I would most love to see more of the Zelda games. Namely Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Those would top my list.

Mario Galaxy would be cool but I kinda thought those games already looked good. On the other hand TP in particular suffers quite a bit when blown up to any larger size.

I suspect they're planning on a lot of this stuff already. Must be a reason why they haven't rolled out GCN & Wii sections on their Virtual Console.

Go look up some Dolphin screenshots of the Galaxy games and see just how nice they look in HD before any sort of updating is even done. All these games are beautiful and even Twilight Princess had fantastic art direction although technically I think it was showing its age even when it was new (even though it still ended up better looking than 95% of the Wii library).

But rendering in HD and removing the hindrance of standard definition can make a great looking game look fantastic and almost brand new. So I hope that the Metroid Prime trilogy, all three 3D Mario platformers, the other two 3D Zelda's, and maybe a surprise or two like Luigi's Mansion & Wave Race from the GCN/Wii era eventually get this treatment by Nintendo.

I just hope that motion games don't get ignored or left relegated to digital distribution like this Wii Sports HD update is doing.
post #22 of 124 Old 09-26-2013, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have been playing WW since last Saturday (9-21-13, I downloaded the Digital Version from Wii u EShop) and the game looks and plays Amazingly. I played the OG WW on the GC and it just takes me back and I remember spots to go to and what I have to do:) The Wii U tablet makes ALL the difference in the world.You control all your items from the tablet (I had to play with my Pro Controller because the tablet battery drained and it seemed like a chore to play with the controller).

Side Note - You HAVE to get the Swift Sail as it makes sailing the Ocean so much better. You have to goto Windfall Island at night and go to the Auction and Bid on it to win it (takes ~$200 - $300 to win the bid. I paid $230). I hope they do a Metroid Prime HD remake:)

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
post #23 of 124 Old 10-03-2013, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Ouch- Nintendo was pushing WW as a system seller... If the famitsu numbers are any indication, it's not. At all.

Worst console Zelda first week numbers since they've been tracking sales...

[SYSTEM] GAME {launch date} First week sales /Lifetime sales

• [N64] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo) {1998.11.21} - 386.234 / 1.147.068
  • [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) {2009.12.23} - 320.940 / 740.109
  • [N64] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo) {2000.04.27} - 314.044 / 601.539
  • [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) {2007.06.23} - 288.282 / 902.386
  • [GCN] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Nintendo) {2002.12.13} - 287.346 / 742.609
  • [WII] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Nintendo) {2011.11.23} - 194.894 / 337.452
  • [NGB] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Nintendo) {2001.02.27} - 191.802 / 373.361
  • [NGB] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Nintendo) {2001.02.27} - 190.029 / 372.693
  • [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo) {2011.06.16} - 182.998 / 586.505
  • [WII] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo) {2006.12.02} - 145.068 / 554.109
  • [GBA] The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (Nintendo) {2004.11.04} - 92.882 / 235.400
  • [GBA] The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past + Four Swords (Nintendo) {2003.03.14} - 84.107 / 293.989
  • [GCN] The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords (Nintendo) {2004.03.18} - 54.782 / 127.399
  • [NGB] The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Nintendo) {1998.12.12} - 49.513 / 314.224
  • [GBA] Famicom Mini: The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo) {2004.02.14} - 36.861 / 217.901
  • [GBA] Famicom Mini: Zelda II - The Adventure of Link (Nintendo) {2004.08.10} - 35.335 / 141.826
  • [WIU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Nintendo) {2013.09.26} - 31.154 / NEW

Unknown first week sales:

• [NFC] The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo) {1986.02.21} - ? / 1.690.000
  • [NFC] Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Nintendo) {1987.01.14} - ? / 1.610.000
  • [SFC] The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Nintendo) {1991.11.21} - ? / 1.160.000
  • [NGB] The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Nintendo) {1993.06.06} - ? / 540.000
post #24 of 124 Old 10-03-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Either way probably not good, but any idea if that includes digital sales or bundles?
post #25 of 124 Old 10-03-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Either way probably not good, but any idea if that includes digital sales or bundles?

No to digital, and bundles have digital copies so it may not track either.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #26 of 124 Old 10-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
I was impressed that WW GC was ahead of SS...

It'll do better in North America, right? Preoders sold out for the LE... (almost wish I'd bought one)
post #27 of 124 Old 10-03-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

I was impressed that WW GC was ahead of SS...

It'll do better in North America, right? Preoders sold out for the LE... (almost wish I'd bought one)

It did require Motion Plus, and a lot of people skipped it because they all bought the Wii at or near launch, and did not want to spend the extra $20-40 on the MP controller or add on.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #28 of 124 Old 10-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I get my Wind Waker with the Ganon statue on Monday. Pretty geeked but I wish I was done with GTA5... :/

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #29 of 124 Old 10-03-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope it does far better as a retail release. It's already handicapped due to the small install base so lower expectations are a must. But I think a retail release will make it far more competitive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

It did require Motion Plus, and a lot of people skipped it because they all bought the Wii at or near launch, and did not want to spend the extra $20-40 on the MP controller or add on.

I don't think that logic works when Wii Sports Resort mandated it and was easily the top selling release on the platform.
post #30 of 124 Old 10-04-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hope it does far better as a retail release. It's already handicapped due to the small install base so lower expectations are a must. But I think a retail release will make it far more competitive.
I don't think that logic works when Wii Sports Resort mandated it and was easily the top selling release on the platform.

Wii Sports Resort came with Motion Plus in 95% of it's releases. Very few Zelda fans actually picked it up, they were usually done with the Wii by that point.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker Hd