NEW! Nintendo 2DS. Wait... what? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
real. NOTa photoshop or internet prank:

http://go.ign.com/19033ve
Quote:
Nintendo announced the 2DS today, a new entry-level handheld system. The 2DS will be available for $129.99 on October 12th (the same day as Pokemon X and Y) and features a slate-like design rather than the clamshell seen on DS and 3DS models.

The 2DS is fully compatible with all 3DS and DS games but does not include the ability to display games in 3D. It still features all the functionality of 3DS (WiFi, local multiplayer, etc.) and can be put to sleep using a slider that replicates closing the clamshell on a standard 3DS. WiFi can still be turned off, though it’s done via controls in the software rather than with a physical switch.

Trailer:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I just said something in the 3DS thread too... great idea to pull out the 3D for a cheaper system.... but absolutely hideous design.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Old 08-28-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Carrying case sold separately!

baffling to me. I like the idea of a 2D 3DS, but no clamshell and yet another "DS" naming convention is going to lead to confusion. Plus it's only a few dollars cheaper than a 3DS (they were just on sale for $134.99)... lots of questions about this one.

Very tablet like. Almost Leapfrog-ish. Bundle it with a Pokemon game and it might sell ok, though...
Old 08-28-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
This is an answer to a question that no one asked. WTF?
Expat444 likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 08-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey, the more the merrier. There's always that Club Nintendo question about how often I played in 3D, and I've heard plenty of users say they never use the 3D, even on here. Also the under-6 crowd who aren't supposed to use it are no longer locked out.

I wonder if it's comfortable. Doesn't look it, but the 3DS sure isn't.

As for the name, it never doomed the PS Vita OH WAIT. Seriously though, the Xbox 360 is successful and that name's moronic.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It's certainly odd.. Like a slice of bread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

I wonder if it's comfortable. Doesn't look it, but the 3DS sure isn't.

Curious about this myself, as much as I like it, for me the 3ds is just a pain to use for any stretch of time.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gariputo View Post

It's certainly odd.. Like a slice of bread.
Curious about this myself, as much as I like it, for me the 3ds is just a pain to use for any stretch of time.

Yeah, I could never use the stock one for more than like 20 minutes before my hands went numb. Never had that problem with any other portable.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 85
The wedge design is odd however I think it's great cuz now I'm more inclined to buy one for my kid. He messed up the hinges on my DS Lite and I cringe every time he wants to play my DSi XL. I'll buy a 3DS XL for myself and a 2DS for my kid and he doesn't like 3D so win!

Oh yeah the name will probably confuse non gamer parents much like the Wii vs Wii U... frown.gif

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Old 08-28-2013, 08:10 PM

Liked: 13
Problem solved.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 244
If it had the same size screens as a 3DSXL, I'd actually be tempted if it felt comfortable in my hands. The 3D effect doesn't work for me due to issues with my left eye and moving parts are always prime failure points. Since portability doesn't matter to me, the only value with the clamshell design is built in screen protection but a nice case can easily protect them when not in use so that's not critical.

But the smaller screens are a deal breaker for me. But there's probably a 2DSXL to look forward to I imagine.
DaverJ likes this.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I took a look around the internet after I got home last night (where work filters don't stop me from going to pretty much everywhere interesting), and I have to say.... I'm really changing my mind about this one.

I like it!

The size and form factor actually look pretty nice, maybe on the big side for small hands, but I'm thinking one of these might be in my future. I'm not impressed with the 3DS XL since the screen size really showcases the jaggies and low res, but the price point means that I could play the games I'm missing/missed and I wouldn't be overly concerned if it got beat up a little.

And the name, the more I think about it is pretty amusing and very "Nintendo". I still think 3DS was perfect, 2DS is amusing in the same droll way. Plus, and let's be honest here, if consumers weren't confused with the gameboy lineup nomenclature, they can probably handle this one. Gameboy had Pocket, Lite, Color, Advance, Advance SP, and Micro by the end of it's lifecycle... and several had BC in one form or another

Old 08-29-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, it looks a little bizarre, but it doesn't look like a bad form factor, for some reason it reminds me of a dreamcast controller.

What I don't like is that they didn't go all the way and take advantage of the fact that its no longer a fold up portable. Drop the nub and give it a real analog stick. Make the dpad and buttons bigger and more spaced out. Make both screens the same size, or at least the same width.

I get that it's supposed to be cheap, but it's a missed opportunity to make something unique.
DaverJ, Leo_Ames and voodoozen like this.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, it looks a little bizarre, but it doesn't look like a bad form factor, for some reason it reminds me of a dreamcast controller.

What I don't like is that they didn't go all the way and take advantage of the fact that its no longer a fold up portable. Drop the nub and give it a real analog stick. Make the dpad and buttons bigger and more spaced out. Make both screens the same size, or at least the same width.

I get that it's supposed to be cheap, but it's a missed opportunity to make something unique.

+1. I saw this on Neogaf, and I like the idea: make both screens one BIG screen, just design the thing to play games in mock split-screen. I know nothing about how to do that, but I know it's already been done on multiple emulators, even Android for goodness sake...

real thumbstick (and probably a second one) would make a great 2DSi in 2014... biggrin.gif
Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Apparently it is one big touchscreen.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Apparently it is one big touchscreen.

Son of a...
Quote:
The 2DS, that's a thing! It's aimed for a younger audience, and it cuts out all the 3D stuff. And as it turns out, those two screens are actually one big screen. That's according to US Gamer in an effort to cut down costs. The appearance of two screen is a simulated one, and the case is designed to make it look like two whole screens like the 3DS.

So yeah, even the upper screen is technically a touch screen, but it's protected by a layer of plastic. Plus, there's no game that would recognize that the top screen can be an interface now. That said, it'll be interesting to see how modders rework the 2DS.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Make both screens the same size, or at least the same width.

I liked your suggestions except this one. DS and 3DS games are developed with a 4:3 aspect ratio in mind for the lower touch screen. To make that 16:9 would necessitate stretching it to fit.

And for those games with their playfield stretched across both screens that would most benefit from an equally sized lower screen, those two screens would then not mesh up correctly. You'd only be losing by going this route.

The only way they could truly take advantage of it would be if they made 16:9 touch screen support a developer option going forward in new 3DS releases that a game could switch to when it detects it's running on a 2DS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

+1. I saw this on Neogaf, and I like the idea: make both screens one BIG screen, just design the thing to play games in mock split-screen. I know nothing about how to do that, but I know it's already been done on multiple emulators, even Android for goodness sake...

The problem is that games that utilize both screens for a taller playfield are developed with that gap between the screens in mind. It's dead space that isn't rendered in games. So what do you gain by making them abutt each other? It would just throw off something like if you were aiming a egg in Yoshi's Island DS with your character on the touch screen aiming at something on the upper screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen View Post

real thumbstick (and probably a second one) would make a great 2DSi in 2014... biggrin.gif

A real thumbstick is a great idea but I wonder if they perhaps feel that this more flush design using an analog slider is perhaps more kid friendly? A true analog stick would be more vulnerable to damage I suspect (If for nothing else, I suspect it would be slightly more exposed than the current design is).

And I wouldn't count on a right stick of any sort on a potential 2DS revision. None of the very few games that can actually take advantage of it are targeted at the demographic they're going after with this thing.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 565
I really want to hold one and see that top screen. Even on my original 3DS I see the pixel structure thanks to the 3D screen. (Only horizontal, turn on 3D and it goes full screen door) They fix that and it is comfortable, I may bite.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Pretty much every review I've heard of the thing so far has said something to the effect of "it looks like it would be terrible, but it's actually pretty comfortable to hold". This is Nintendo we're talking about. I don't think they'd release a device like this without worrying about the ergonomics of holding it. Personally I think this is them being crazy like a fox, unlike any confusion with the Wii and Wii U, this only works to their benefit, since a 2DS plays every game the 3DS does.
Leo_Ames likes this.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I was sure it was comfortable. My concern though is how comfortable it would be with adult hands since they're aiming this towards young children. I'm glad to hear it's comfortable for adult hands.

If there's a XL revision someday, I'd love to get one. The less moving parts the better and it would never leave the house anyways so portability doesn't matter. The only thing I liked about the clamshell design was the built in screen protection but a nice soft case solves that just like it did with the PSP.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Surprisingly this is not yet available at the Nintendo World Store to try out.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Dear Mr. NINTENDO, still waiting for another ADVANCE WARS game!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anyone played a 2DS yet? Reviews are positive overall. Some love for the form factor, some hate for the mono speaker, control placement and D-pad seem to be good enough, and shoulder buttons are apparently awesome. Haven't put my hands on one yet, but I'm fairly certain there's one in my future, the whole thing has really, really grown on me.

2DS "pocket-ability test" from ars technica. All you need to know about portability in 23 seconds:http://bcove.me/3pqievt5

And their full review is here.

Highlights:
Quote:
The Good
The cheapest "3DS" yet at only $129
Solid build quality and design
Huge, comfortable shoulder buttons
Perfectly comfortable to hold for most gaming situations

The bad
Games that use touchpad and stylus are downright painful to play
Mono speakers are a noticeable downgrade
Looks and feels a bit toy-like and bulky

The Ugly
Nearly impossible to fit into a pocket
Glasses-free 3D: Revolutionary in 2011, thrown out in 2013
Old 10-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

I don't understand the sentiment that this is meant to replace the 3DS.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't understand the sentiment that this is meant to replace the 3DS.

It isn't, this is just a child friendly entry level unit.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 10-15-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

It isn't, this is just a child friendly entry level unit.

Moo might have been replying to the "Glasses-free 3D: Revolutionary in 2011, thrown out in 2013" statement.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
Old 10-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah that's what I meant. Thanks Daver.
We're past the point where the 3D is the selling point of the console, and plenty of people don't bother with it or can't see it. It was a big deal when they were stuck with Pilotwings, NIntendogs and Steel Diver. But you already knew that, duh. The reviewer just wanted to snark I guess.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never considered 3D a selling point on any device I have owned. I don't even care that half of XY is 2D only.

Blunty3000 posted his 2DS review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UUYnTysGGs
DaverJ likes this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 10-16-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

teardowns have begun! C'mon, Nintendo, let's have a giant, single screen device for 2DS rev 2...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/10/16/2ds-teardown-reveals-single-lcd-panel.aspx

Old 10-16-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Gotta save that for the next handheld, a true Nintendo tablet.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Blunty3000 posted his 2DS review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UUYnTysGGs

Thanks for that, it's exactly what I was expecting. I think I'm going to stick with the 3DS XL, but that 2DS is still kinda tempting. I hope a 2DS XL model appears with stereo speakers!

I think these are going to be popular as a supplemental "DS" model, and someday we'll look back and wonder what all the uproar at launch was about. tongue.gif

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders

Tags
Nintendo 2ds Electric Blue