The hyperkin retron 5......on anyone's radar? - AVS Forum
Nintendo > The hyperkin retron 5......on anyone's radar?
dragonyeuw's Avatar dragonyeuw 01:33 PM 09-15-2013
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/11/hands-on-with-hyperkins-retron-5-emulating-nine-classic-consol/

First I'm hearing about this. Never been a fan of these 'retro clone' systems, but I must admit HDMI support, original controller support, and compatibility with 9 systems ain't nothing to sneeze at, nor is the $99 price.

I suppose I should have put this in the general gaming area, but I figure the Nintendo board would be home to a number of people who wouldn't mind replaying Super Mario world for the 100th time but with an image that isn't ruined by blowing it up on our modern HDTVs, and this news may get more responses here.

Curious for everyone's thoughts....

Leo_Ames's Avatar Leo_Ames 02:39 PM 09-15-2013
I'm interested and have posted about it here a few times.
dragonyeuw's Avatar dragonyeuw 02:47 PM 09-15-2013
Oh really? I was trying to find discussion on it and didnt see any, though admittedly I didn't do too hardcore a search.

Edit:

Ah, found your posts...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1453962/best-way-to-upscale-retro-console-content

I must admit I'm excited about this, as I've recently wanted to go back and replay some classics, like Super Metroid, Final fantasy 3, zelda LTTP, and several others.
Leo_Ames's Avatar Leo_Ames 07:54 PM 09-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

I must admit I'm excited about this, as I've recently wanted to go back and replay some classics, like Super Metroid, Final fantasy 3, zelda LTTP, and several others.

On the off chance you own a Wii U, you can experience much of the top tier of Super Nintendo titles there.

This won't match Wii U VC releases I'm sure for visual fidelity but it's a nice option if you appreciate using original controllers and want full freedom on what's played. The vast majority of these libraries never are rereleased.
Quote:

Ah, found your posts...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1453962/best-way-to-upscale-retro-console-content

Off the top of my head, there's been a few things since those posts of mine. As you said, the $100 price is confirmed.

Besides that, they've confirmed that this won't be able to load rom images. They're still scared of the boogeyman and think they're taking a legal risk by allowing such a thing even though products like the AtGames Sega Genesis plug and plays allow the loading of rom images by the user, there's plenty of non-piracy homebrews that a user could utilize such a feature for, and if it was illegal it would also make things like MP3 players illegal as well. Maybe the Retron 6 next year...

They're also staying mum on flash cart support. There's speculation that this might dump a game into its RAM and won't be in continuous communication with the original cartridge. If that's the case, things like Everdrives & PowerPaks won't work. If it operates like the real consoles do and the emulation is accurate enough though, there's no reason why these won't work.

And they've hinted at Sega Master System compatibility on their Facebook page but it's unconfirmed and they're still not saying anything about it officially. So it's not appearing very likely although with them bringing it out to South America and Europe, it's surely something that they're going to want to do.

I'm betting on Sega Master System compatibility but I suspect it will be a feature for the Retron 6 come next year. And I bet rom loading is also coming in a future revision as they look for hooks to sell a new multi-system clone to much of the same crowd of people as the year before. It wasn't long ago where just making a clone system or emulator for a system, even after the patents had expired, had a stigma as being questionable where legality is concerned.

Loading rom images off of a USB memory stick or SD card is the next thing that will be commonplace I'm sure.
dragonyeuw's Avatar dragonyeuw 03:58 AM 09-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

On the off chance you own a Wii U, you can experience much of the top tier of Super Nintendo titles there.

I did briefly own an 8gb model between January and April. The games I called out I own the physical carts, as well as a Super Nintendo. I also have a bunch of third party titles that have never, and likely never will, show up on the VC. My SNES still works, but if this retron 5 can produce a really good visual/audio experience over HDMI, I'm more than happy to keep the SNES packed away in reserve. I bring it out as I have an urge to play it, but I would likely keep the retron 5 permanently hooked up.
Leo_Ames's Avatar Leo_Ames 04:39 PM 09-19-2013
They've confirmed that this works with the Power Base Converter or equivalents that were essentially pin adapters for the Genesis that allowed Master System games to be played on the Genesis. So that explains their hints about Master System compatibility.

And their latest release date is now December 10th.
dragonyeuw's Avatar dragonyeuw 02:30 AM 09-25-2013
They couldn't have picked a worse month( for me) to release this thing. Ah well, its probably best to give it a few months and wait for user reviews.
SnoopKatt's Avatar SnoopKatt 08:54 PM 09-26-2013
It seems pretty neat. Great option for people who don't have the original consoles or can't hook up their computers easily to their TV's.
Leo_Ames's Avatar Leo_Ames 10:11 PM 09-26-2013
I imagine most of those that will buy this have the original hardware as well. You're going to need original cartridges and it will be best enjoyed with original controllers. If someone has that material available, they likely also have several of these consoles in original form.

It's the HD upscaling hook and multiple systems condensed in one that will sell most of these I suspect.
dragonyeuw's Avatar dragonyeuw 07:54 AM 09-27-2013
I have a SNES, got rid of my Genesis some time ago. The HD upscaling, multi-system consolidation, and being able to use the original controllers are definitely the selling points for me.

Hell, if we could get online servers for some of the popular party games like Bomberman or Super Mario Kart, and I'd likely never need another home console again. Gaming PC, and my favorite 8/16 bit era titles upscaled and online? Yeah.... I'm good.
THe_Flash's Avatar THe_Flash 10:08 AM 09-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

I imagine most of those that will buy this have the original hardware as well. You're going to need original cartridges and it will be best enjoyed with original controllers. If someone has that material available, they likely also have several of these consoles in original form.
That's a fair point. Personally though, the purist in me just can't justify this even if it would be an easier setup than what I have going. I'm sure there are others who share the same sentiment and love having all of their original hardware on display and ready to go. Most modern receivers do an adequate enough job of upscaling.
dragonyeuw's Avatar dragonyeuw 11:28 AM 09-28-2013
Personally, the 'purist' in me has to give way to convenience, to a degree. Living in a shared household with one main tv, having all my consoles hooked up isn't an option. YMMV as always....

You still have to use the original cartridges and controllers, so it does maintain a slight degree of authenticity. I dont know..... To each their own. If this thing can do a great job upscaling the image to 720p signal, I will likely get over the idea that I'm not playing the game on the original hardware.
THe_Flash's Avatar THe_Flash 08:27 AM 09-29-2013
Quote:

Personally, the 'purist' in me has to give way to convenience, to a degree. Living in a shared household with one main tv...If this thing can do a great job upscaling the image to 720p signal, I will likely get over the idea that I'm not playing the game on the original hardware.
Wouldn't simply playing via emulator solve most of this? Everything is a click away, nothing could be more convenient. Your main TV is now free for others while you game. A PC or HTPC can render 720p, or higher if you like. Finally, any USB adapter for using original controllers would cost you less than the Retron.
dragonyeuw's Avatar dragonyeuw 09:22 AM 09-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

Wouldn't simply playing via emulator solve most of this? Everything is a click away, nothing could be more convenient. Your main TV is now free for others while you game. A PC or HTPC can render 720p, or higher if you like. Finally, any USB adapter for using original controllers would cost you less than the Retron.

Because there is a certain 'silly' intangible factor in playing the original cartridges( and yes I understand that we're not playing on original hardware with the retron 5, but I have more of an attachment to my game carts than the actual system). You even advocate the 'purist' factor yourself, as far as using the original hardware.
THe_Flash's Avatar THe_Flash 11:12 AM 09-29-2013
Quote:

Because there is a certain 'silly' intangible factor in playing the original cartridges...but I have more of an attachment to my game carts than the actual system)
Not silly at all, I completely get it. I've found myself recollecting N64 carts despite owning a CD64. You're right, there is just something special about having the originals. Don't even get me started on boxes and manuals.
Leo_Ames's Avatar Leo_Ames 05:50 PM 09-29-2013
For the cost of six controller adapters, this device is very competitive and also plays the original cartridges and includes the emulation hardware to play them in one small & convenient package. It also has some nice options even for the purist such as an easy way to play Japanese & especially PAL cartridges.

It's definitely not a replacement for original hardware or a replacement for a nice HTPC setup for emulation in general and other uses. But if you're just looking for simple operation and the ability to easily and economically enjoy your original cartridges for the systems in question on your modern HDTV, this is a nice looking option.

They now have a lot of demonstration videos up for the NES, SuperNES, Genesis, and a single Game Boy Advance video. They're also mixing up the options from various screen filters & such to PAL versions of some games. Here's a PAL Super Mario Brothers demonstration video for instance. And the Game Boy Advance footage of the Link to the Past port shows off the Retron 5 menus about halfway through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx6J-Xtps94&feature=player_embedded

Still to be seen are Sega Master System, Game Boy, & Game Boy Color compatibility. Also not yet seen are games that utilized coprocessors & such like Star Fox & Virtua Racing, features like optional FM sound in compatible SMS games, Famicom cartridges that utilized the extra sound hardware that the Japanese had in games like Castlevania III, compatibility with accessories like the SuperNes mouse, etc.
Leo_Ames's Avatar Leo_Ames 06:34 PM 11-03-2013
Just as a bump, it seems as if the release date has slipped more than once and that a December release that I think is the latest word is questionable.

And they've also released a video on YouTube showing Star Fox. It's the first game they've shown that utilized special cartridge hardware (In this case, the Super FX chip which was a co-processor). From my brief inspection, it looked and sounded fine. I've been playing this to the end about once a year for nearly 20 years now and didn't notice any problems.
reddog007's Avatar reddog007 06:06 AM 11-07-2013
I don't really think there should be an issue with video/audio. Emulators do a great job as it is, and this machine is just an emulator in a box no?

Not sure if I will get one, but it is pretty dang tempting. I don't own any of the systems that it supports, though I have owned some on the past. The great thing is that I have a local used book/dvd store that sells video games. They have TONS of cartridge based games.
Leo_Ames's Avatar Leo_Ames 01:18 PM 11-07-2013
I'm not sure I know what you're asking about the video and the audio? If you're talking about faithfully recreating the original hardware, that's anything but a given and many emulators don't do a great job. There will be problems here but people are hoping they're minor and scattered enough where they can be overlooked.

And as I edit this post, we're well into May and this product is routinely being delayed and still lacks a confirmed release date. And they've since tacked on $50 to the MSRP and have discouraged and turned off many a potential customer. I suspect this represents the future for these things, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this be the end for Hyperkin.
Up
Mobile  Desktop