If I were going to buy a Wii U, what would I actually need? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-20-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm remarkably confused w/ how Nintendo is marketing/selling the Wii U, so I thought I would ask here. I'm considering picking up the Mario/Luigi bundle for my girls for Christmas. It didn't take me long to figure out that I would need more accessories for us to be able to all play together. The problem is, I have no clue what I need?

Do I need extra Wiimote +'s? If I do, do I also need nunchucks again? Can I make do w/ just a bunch of Pro controllers? I read there is a dongle you need to directly tie it into your LAN otherwise you're going wireless? WTH?

So confused.

Okay - so guys what do I need? If I do this, on Christmas morning I'd like to have 3 people playing the new Mario games at the same time (cause Daddy has to play too ya know !!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
The Pro Controller is basically useless, don't buy it.

If you want to play NSMBU multiplayer you need three Wii Remotes, one per person. The Gamepad can't be used to control a character in multiplayer, just single player. I would definitely recommend the Wii Remote plus, as Nintendo is increasingly demanding that players use it.

Games that require the nunchuk are pretty few. People recommend using it with Pikmin 3, but it's not required. Some minigames in Wii Fit U and Nintendoland need it.

There's a LAN adapter you can plug into your USB port. It's had mixed reviews. I haven't used it, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're having trouble with wireless, or someone here has a glowing review of a certain brand.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #3 of 17 Old 11-20-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Okay cool. Does anybody know if we need a nunchuk for Super Mario 3d World? I know SMB:Galaxy used the nunchuk ...
post #4 of 17 Old 11-20-2013, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You can play with the Gamepad or Wii Remote, according to one review. Remote + Nunchuk is an option, but not required.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

I imagine it would be a little awkward without the analog stick, but Nintendo does show just the Wii remotes in their multiplayer graphic, so it's not required. http://supermario3dworld.nintendo.com/#wiiu-gamepad
hands.png

post #6 of 17 Old 11-20-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Awkward - .... so I'm pretty much guessing the best arrangement is the Deluxe system w/ the Mario and Luigi pack-ins, and 3 Wiimote Pluses and 3 Nunchuks.

Kids. Are. Expensive.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Don't forget some rechargeable AA batteries. A pair comes with each remote but they'll be dead in a month.
You're probably safe without the nunchuks. Folks managed in Nintendoland and Other M without complaint.

post #8 of 17 Old 11-20-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have Eneloops out the wazu so I should be good there.
moothemagiccow likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-26-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

I'm remarkably confused w/ how Nintendo is marketing/selling the Wii U, so I thought I would ask here. I'm considering picking up the Mario/Luigi bundle for my girls for Christmas. It didn't take me long to figure out that I would need more accessories for us to be able to all play together. The problem is, I have no clue what I need?

Do I need extra Wiimote +'s? If I do, do I also need nunchucks again? Can I make do w/ just a bunch of Pro controllers? I read there is a dongle you need to directly tie it into your LAN otherwise you're going wireless? WTH?

So confused.

Okay - so guys what do I need? If I do this, on Christmas morning I'd like to have 3 people playing the new Mario games at the same time (cause Daddy has to play too ya know !!).

Any assortment of controllers will work, but you will need nunchucks.

And if you buy a Wii U, DO buy Wonderful 101... the best game this year!
post #10 of 17 Old 11-29-2013, 02:43 AM

Liked: 22
Glad I came across this thread. I just picked up the Mario/Luigi Wii U deluxe bundle for my 7 yr old, it's still boxed - he won't get it till next week.

We have the original Wii + 2 remotes and nunchucks that we'll be giving away to my sister in law once the U is set up. Surprisingly, it looks like the Wii U package doesn't come with any remotes (?) eek.gif

So I'll need to pick up a couple of remotes and nunchucks. We currently use the nunchucks in a few games (Lego Star Wars and Donkey Kong).

Is the gamepad durable? Are protection kits + screen protector a good idea?
post #11 of 17 Old 11-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

No, there are no remotes with the system.
I've dropped my gamepad a few times and it still looks great. The screen gets as dirty as any other touchscreen, though.

post #12 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 12:03 PM

Good to know. I ended up spending almost as much as the deluxe bundle itself in wiimotes and nunchucks. They sure know how to get you on accessories.

I ended up getting the Rocketfish InvisiShell case and screen protector for the gamepad (also came with a couple of extra styluses) - they were cheap and both got good reviews. My son isn't very gentle on things so I figured even if it protects it from one drop it's worth it.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 08:34 PM

I have to say my wife and my 7 yr-old are absolutely loving our new Wii U that we got about a week ago, and we barely have any games for it yet, just the two Mario and Luigi titles the bundle came with. They couldn't care less about my PS3 or 360, the Wii U is by far getting the most use in my house. It's just a fun game system for the whole family.

And as mentioned above, it's sitting behind my AV cabinet even after hours of use it's still cool and dead silent, pretty amazing compared to my other two systems which need good ventilation and neither are silent. We're still trying to figure out the Wii U game pad. It's neat in that you can use the Wii U normally without the TV (the screen on it is great) but it'll be interesting when games really take advantage of it as a second screen; hope Watch Dogs does something along those lines.

All in all, we're totally loving the U and the upcoming games (e.g. Mario Kart 8, the new Donkey Kong etc...) have us even more excited. I think it's clear Nintendo isn't competing for the same market the PS and XB are, they're essentially in their own little market. Once the Wii U comes down further in price, maybe get rid of the base model and just have the Deluxe, start bundling the new Wii Sports Club (same way they did the Wii Sports with the original Wii) and you'll see it really take off.
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC7 View Post

t it'll be interesting when games really take advantage of it as a second screen;

Try to find a copy of the Nintendo Land, the original Wii U bundle game. Should only run you 15-20 bucks or so.

Wonderful 101 also does some cool things with it.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

Try to find a copy of the Nintendo Land, the original Wii U bundle game. Should only run you 15-20 bucks or so.

Wonderful 101 also does some cool things with it.

I've heard good things about W101, I'll also check out Nintendo Land. Thanks for the suggestions.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-10-2013, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

maybe get rid of the base model and just have the Deluxe

They actually did that a few months ago. Only premium bundles are now available for the Wii U. One does feature an 8 GB white model as seen in the Basic set but it definitely isn't a basic bundle with all of the extras bundled in it.
Quote:

start bundling the new Wii Sports Club (same way they did the Wii Sports with the original Wii) and you'll see it really take off.

With people talking about consumer confusion since the system was unveiled, I'm not sure that's such a good idea. If they're struggling enough as it is to differentiate the Wii U as their next gen hardware to those that don't follow Nintendo closely, no sense clouding the issue further. Plus, I'm just not sure that an HD port of a last gen game that almost everyone played to death and many still own and would still be able to play on the Wii U is the way to go for selecting a pack-in game to sell your new hardware.

And that's not to mention that it requires Motion Plus Wii remotes and nunchuks to play Wii Sports Club and except for the recent Skylanders bundle (The one I referenced earlier that still comes with an 8 GB white Wii U system), none of these have even came with a Wiimote so far. While many will have those controllers already thanks to the popularity of the original Wii, some won't so that all but guarantees that Wii Sports Club probably won't be a standard pack-in choice since they'd have to bundle $50 worth of additional controllers with it to do so.

I suspect that they used up the system selling magic of Wii Sports the last time around anyways.
post #17 of 17 Old 12-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Cleaned up the thread.

Please stay on topic.

K

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
Reply Nintendo