Wonderful 101 and Super Mario 3D World are two of the best games of the year. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-26-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the big name PS3 games IE Last of Us, but they didn't really invigorate me.

After playing (but not yet completing) the above two games, I feel like my love of gaming is back. I am beyond glad I picked up a Wii U last week over a PS4 or X1 (may still grab a PS4 in 2 or 3 years if decent games come out).

Let's start with Wondeful 101. It is campy. It is also blisteringly fast, with awesome music, complex gameplay, and flat-out fun. Perhaps the funnest combat I've played since Bayonetta or Tales of Graces F, and the presentation is rock-solid. I did find the controls to have an initial adjustment period and perhaps the touch pad is NOT the optimal approach to play the game... but beyond that it's a game that truly has soul and uniqueness. Before I bought it I had my reservations that it would be a niche game and not for everyone. When I first played it I wasn't sure I could recommend it to everyone. But now I think I understand - this game is indeed for anyone as long as you start them on "easy" and not "normal" and have even a slice of patience with the complicated controls. Being complicated doesn't mean it is inaccessible... think of it as a Tiptronic rather than an auto or manual transmission... you just have a lot of freedom to do a lot of stuff - but you do not have to use it. I think this review is mostly spot-on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlrAJdnIU-A

Mario.. what need be said that hasn't already? Well I'll start by saying that when I told everyone I bought a Wii U, I got a lot of eyerolls and blank stares. A lot of "What...? Why do you need a new Wii" or "Um... shoulda got a PS4" and "mannnn, Mario is sooo played out... I was playing it 20 years ago". So I sat em down and made em play this game in multiplayer. The same night, two people left with plans to buy a Wii U in the near future, and another three stayed til 5 A.M.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLOKVABfrzw

...yeah. Unfortunately I haven't even touched the new Zelda as it sits on the bookshelf... blame the above games!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-27-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Are there a lot of quick-time events like at the end of the demo? That bit turned me off.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #3 of 16 Old 11-27-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post

Are there a lot of quick-time events like at the end of the demo? That bit turned me off.

Maybe like 5 to 6 percent of the gameplay is QTE, and it's usually pretty flashy.
post #4 of 16 Old 11-28-2013, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Wrong. Wonderful 101 while something could have been there and different. It did not pan out like it should have. Any ways. The best 2 games on the Wii U with out a doubt this year are Rayman Legends and Super Mario 3D World. By FAR those are the 2 best. End of story. And that new Zelda is nothing new. Might be to you if you never played it. Its only in HD and they cut back the sailing time some what. Every single Wii U owner should have bought Rayman Legends. Its a crying damn shame it bombed and shame on the Wii U community allowing it. I guess if its not COD. No one wants different games that are above and beyond excellent.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-28-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post

Wrong. Wonderful 101 while something could have been there and different. It did not pan out like it should have.

rolleyes.gif I'm "wrong" for having an opinion that disagrees with yours? though based on the amount of elaboration in your post, it sounds like you just read a few of the negative reviews, which were obviously from ignorant reviewers who rushed through the game and didn't even bother to learn how to play it. I doubt you've even played it.
Quote:
And that new Zelda is nothing new. Might be to you if you never played it. Its only in HD and they cut back the sailing time some what.

I was talking about A Link Between Worlds. Which is not even HD, involves no sailing, and is most certainly certifiably brand new.
Quote:
The best 2 games on the Wii U with out a doubt this year are Rayman Legends and Super Mario 3D World. By FAR those are the 2 best. End of story. Every single Wii U owner should have bought Rayman Legends. Its a crying damn shame it bombed and shame on the Wii U community allowing it.

I did buy rayman legends. It's a fun game. I don't know why you need to get so defensive about it because I don't think it's nearly as creative, fun, or memorable as Wonderful 101 rolleyes.gif
post #6 of 16 Old 11-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Man I can't wait until Rayman is $20 on the eshop

post #7 of 16 Old 11-28-2013, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yep wrong. Because you are in the extreme minority that liked it. The reviews was spot on. I played the demo and that was enough for me not to like it. Well specify then about the new Zelda. You post about the Wii U and I could only ASSUME you was talking about WW HD. Rayman Legends not nearly as fun and creative? Good grief you have a poor taste in games it seems. http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/rayman-legends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

rolleyes.gif I'm "wrong" for having an opinion that disagrees with yours? though based on the amount of elaboration in your post, it sounds like you just read a few of the negative reviews, which were obviously from ignorant reviewers who rushed through the game and didn't even bother to learn how to play it. I doubt you've even played it.
I was talking about A Link Between Worlds. Which is not even HD, involves no sailing, and is most certainly certifiably brand new.
I did buy rayman legends. It's a fun game. I don't know why you need to get so defensive about it because I don't think it's nearly as creative, fun, or memorable as Wonderful 101 rolleyes.gif
post #8 of 16 Old 11-29-2013, 08:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Man I can't wait until Rayman is $20 on the eshop
Rayman Legends is $24.99 on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Rayman-Legends-nintendo-wii-u/dp/B008AU4YEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385739869&sr=8-1&keywords=rayman+legends
post #9 of 16 Old 11-30-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Yes, we know the majority is always right, especially the bombastic, opinionated, condescending, know-it-all majority that corrects us when we express a viewpoint contrary to its superior opinion.

Thanks for the reminder.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #10 of 16 Old 11-30-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post

Yep wrong. Because you are in the extreme minority that liked it. The reviews was spot on. I played the demo and that was enough for me not to like it. Well specify then about the new Zelda. You post about the Wii U and I could only ASSUME you was talking about WW HD. Rayman Legends not nearly as fun and creative? Good grief you have a poor taste in games it seems. http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/rayman-legends

post #11 of 16 Old 11-30-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Yes, we know the majority is always right, especially the bombastic, opinionated, condescending, know-it-all majority that corrects us when we express a viewpoint contrary to its superior opinion.

Thanks for the reminder.

Actually, the majority doesn`t even agree with him. It`s the so-called professional reviewers - those rushing through the game and trying to meet deadlines - that gave it any mixed reviews, kind of like that guy who thinks he can evaluate a game based on its demo. It has an 8.7 rating on gamefaqs among 143 voters, an 8.3 rating on metacritic among 198 voters, and an 8.9 rating on IGN among 189 voters.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-01-2013, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wonderful 101 User Review
8.9 IGN
8.3 Metacritic
8.4 Gamestop

News flash; Critic reviews are garbage. That is a lot of why so far COD: Ghosts is getting pretty rubbish reviews. Critics are giving in in the 8 range, even high 8's, but user reviews are in the 5 range. eek.gif

Personally, I prefer to take someones word on how a game is who plays games for free and is willing to spend time to actually rate the game vs an individual who is paid to do the review and happens to be given a work order to review that specific game in x amount of time. Some of the best games I have played have had basically dirt for a review. Yeah a game might be a little glitchy, but it doesn't destroy gameplay so why give it a rating of 2?!

I have 3D World on my list already, I will put Wonderful 101 on that list as well. My WiiU list is getting pretty big. Looking over Wii titles again and that list is getting of decent size as well. I keep finding games I need to play that I don't have.
Eternal Velocity likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

The numbers just don't say that much, users or critics. Hell, all amazon reviews are at least four stars.

I have the same problem on Yelp. I've had 1 star meals in 3 star restaurants and 3 star meals in places that get 5 stars "for their decor." When I'm hungry, the decor could be on fire for all I care.

People just like different aspects of games. FattiesGW didn't enjoy the demo and that should stand on its own as an argument. I know demos aren't perfect, but even the highest rated games aren't for everyone, and mid and low rated games have their appeal and their audience.

I'm sure if GTA5 had gotten 7s and 6s it still would've sold out, just like Call of Duty Ghosts has. I doubt any review could have stopped me from buying A Link Between Worlds and my rating for that is off the charts.

post #14 of 16 Old 12-01-2013, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The numbers just don't say that much, users or critics. Hell, all amazon reviews are at least four stars.

The only reason the numbers were brought up was because "(I am) are in the extreme minority that liked it.". He's basically putting this game in the same category as stuff like Knack on PS4 or Ryse on X1 when that's clearly not the case. Of course there's subjectivity involved - until you get to "majorities" and "minorities" - then numbers are an objective statistic.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-02-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I find aggregate ratings to be a fairly reliable indicator of general quality, but not necessarily of how much it appeals to me personally. You can give Metal Gear games 100%s and A+s and 5/5s all day long, but I'm still gonna have zero interest in the franchise and continue to think it's the dumbest **** in the world, even if they do seem well-made. On the flip side, No More Heroes is one of my favorite games of the past decade, even as I recognize it's chock full of imperfections and is just plain bad on certain metrics.
moothemagiccow likes this.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-06-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Although not the most glowing review in the world, i feel like this really gets across why wonderful 101 is awesome:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=mdI4m8Sitwk
Reply Nintendo

Tags
The Wonderful 101

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page