Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-18-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I hope it's not just mindless slashing away at hordes of enemies like the trailer shows and what the Dynasty Warriors series seems to be about.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-18-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 525
I'm torn as I hate the Dynasty Warriors games but the Zelda aspect tugs at me of course.
post #4 of 20 Old 12-19-2013, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
It almost looks like it is using the art assets from OoT3... I'll keep an eye on this if it is more than just a Zelda skin on Dynasty Warriors.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-19-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Apparently these games are at their best telling a story rather than the gameplay segments judging by some reviews I read yesterday of the recent DW entries.

I hope there's a good Zelda story here (Metroid Other M isn't leaving me optimistic though despite the gameplay itself being great) and that there's a varied Zelda styled environment to hold my attention since the mindless combat segments don't look very interesting (And sort of stupid looking like when Link is tossing a half dozen bombs out in the span of about 1 second).

And I don't like what they did to that classic Zelda tune in the trailer.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-19-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Apparently these games are at their best telling a story rather than the gameplay segments judging by some reviews I read yesterday of the recent DW entries.

I hope there's a good Zelda story here (Metroid Other M isn't leaving me optimistic though despite the gameplay itself being great) and that there's a varied Zelda styled environment to hold my attention since the mindless combat segments don't look very interesting (And sort of stupid looking like when Link is tossing a half dozen bombs out in the span of about 1 second).

And I don't like what they did to that classic Zelda tune in the trailer.

Well that was Team Ninja. I knew I should have avoided it just based on the developer being Team Ninja but I'm a sucker for Metroid games. Should have trusted my instincts.

I'm with you, it looks odd seeing Link cause mass destruction at one time. I wish Nintendo let fromSoftwware (Dark Souls/Demon Souls) give it a shot biggrin.gif Though perhaps the story telling style of that developer wouldn't match up so well.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-19-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Well that was Team Ninja. I knew I should have avoided it just based on the developer being Team Ninja but I'm a sucker for Metroid games. Should have trusted my instincts.

I'm with you, it looks odd seeing Link cause mass destruction at one time. I wish Nintendo let fromSoftwware (Dark Souls/Demon Souls) give it a shot biggrin.gif Though perhaps the story telling style of that developer wouldn't match up so well.

Sadly enough, the story was all Nintendo on Other M...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-31-2013, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I sure hope Nintendo doesn't get even me bored with Zelda by p[umping out a bunch of games like they do with Mario.... They need to get the MAIN Zelda games out every few years and not overload people with 100 3ds zeldas and side stories.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-01-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

You've never even played the games and systems you criticize. So a heck of a lot of weight such opinions hold when something like A Link Between Worlds has received near universal acclaim.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-01-2014, 05:42 PM

Yeah, this thread sure is about that game. Also, nowhere in my post did I bash a system. I told the truth that Nintendo ahs got a lot of people bored of Mario games, as is proven by the latest mario game barely selling. If they put out 10 Zelda games per year, they'll get people tired of it.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

You made it about both subjects so don't be surprised when you're called out on it.

And you're still stuck in Basherland. Super Mario 3D World has sold to a large percentage of the Wii U install base (Over 1 million copies have been sold since release a few weeks ago not including digital sales), has helped create a large spike in hardware sales since release (A 340% increase in North America), and has received praise from virtually everyone. That it hasn't sold in Call of Duty style numbers is absolutely meaningless since there are less than 5 million Wii U's out there to sell to (Many of which bought the system on the merits of this very title). The constraint holding Super Mario 3D World from huge sales figures is the size of the install base, not the game itself.

The only thing Super Mario 3D World is evidence of is that Nintendo is still the master of game development and that the world still loves Mario.
post #12 of 20 Old 01-02-2014, 06:21 AM

Well, I sued to play all Mario games and now I rarely do. I have bought many in recent years which are just sitting here because I never get around to trying them. I will likely still play them, but regardless, it's true that many people are burned out from the constant games in the series.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

There's no sign of burn-out. Even with the rather formulaic New Super Mario Brothers series, everything seems alive and well and that's the closest they've perhaps came to milking things since they're regularly reinventing their 3D Mario platformers. And even then, it has only accounted for four games and one expansion in 7 years time and across two console and handheld generations.

They don't milk these things to death and there's no sign that consumers are tired of these games. Nintendo's problem is getting the hardware into people's hands, not in delivering top notch software that consumers find compelling once that has happened. Look at several AVS users around here lamenting that Nintendo isn't multiplatform recently for an example. They'd love to play Super Mario 3D World, but there just isn't enough justification here with 1st party offerings and the occasional exclusive alone to justify acquiring the necessary hardware.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-02-2014, 09:41 PM

Yeah, because those who don't own Nintendo platforms get to play ZERO Mario games, so of course they wish Nintendo made games for their consoles. Also, how convenient you only mention one type of Mario game and not the other million per year.

Wind Waker arrived today. I thought I don't own any of the systems I am talking about... You need to read around some more, though, if you think everyone agrees with you on there not being too many Mario games. One Zelda game per few years is good and I am the biggest of all Zelda fans. I am simply sane enough to know even the best series needs to have breaks.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-02-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

DS had two Zelda's, Wii had two (one of which was essentially a GCN game), and 3DS has had one. They're hardly flooding the market with new Zelda releases these past two console/handheld generations. Heck, Wii U probably is at least 15 months out from its first original Zelda and likely more like 22 months.

We're over a decade into the 21st century yet only have had three main console entries in the Zelda franchise and four handheld releases during that time.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-03-2014, 08:21 AM

That's my point is the ones they add TO the console main Zelda games. This game here is not a main Zelda game and the handhelds count so you're getting multiple ones per year. This year was wind waker and a link between worlds. It hasn't been long since OoT 3Dm skyward sword, phantom hourglass, spirit tracks, etc... either. Then they throw Zelda characters into nintendoland, crossbow training, the upcoming smash bros. game, etc. Mario has so many games, he may very well die of a heart attack from running around in so many games.
post #17 of 20 Old 01-03-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't see any harm in digital rereleases and the occasional remastering of a past classic or a character making an appearance in something like Smash Brothers. And Zelda spinoffs have been few and far between. Throughout the life of the franchise, I can only think of a Game & Watch release (Later simulated many years later on one of the Game Boy collections), Link's Crossbow Training, two Four Swords releases, and of course this upcoming game.

Like I said, we've only gotten seven main Zelda releases in the 21st century. Wind Waker on the GameCube, Twilight Princess on the GCN/Wii, Skyward Sword on the Wii, Minish Cap on the GBA, Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks on the DS, and a Link Between Worlds on the 3DS. Not exactly milking it to death in 13 years. And since Zelda U is all but assured of not releasing this year, that will mean that we've averaged two years between main Zelda entries across both their console & handheld lines when 2014 concludes.
post #18 of 20 Old 01-03-2014, 04:15 PM

Yeah it is. Again, I said adding non-traditional ones is what is too much, so even if we only has 2 main zeldas in 100 years, they're still going overboard if they make 214 non-main ones, like they do with Mario.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-03-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

You're not going to win anyone over I think if you want people to buy into thinking that something like the addition of the original Legend of Zelda to the Virtual Console is a real problem here. That's the last I suppose I'll say on that since clearly we're not going to convince the other of our viewpoint.

You'd hate what I'd like to see. I've championed for years now that Metroid & Zelda need to follow what Nintendo has done with Mario platformers and regularly receive both 2D & 3D entries instead of being 3D only. I'm hoping that this new 3DS release is the start of that trend for the Zelda franchise (Even though technically, it's very much a 3D game but the perspective and gameplay is obviously meant to stir memories of 2D Zelda).
post #20 of 20 Old 01-04-2014, 11:08 PM

There are way too many 2d zeldas as it is. All the handhelds are considerd 2d in my book, even the 3ds ones as they're still on tiny screens and not having the ability to ahve graphics similar to any of the 3d console zeldas. And I don't need to convince anyone of anything because facts already support me by so many people coomplaining about too many mario games.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page