post #2 of 18 Old 12-23-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I have a tough time choosing so I am going to name quite a few:

Favorite Wii Games:

Zelda Skyward Sword - I really didn't love Twilight Princess. It was a good game but I felt like I was just going through the motions even with a few of the cooler dungeons and items being pretty cool. The difficulty wasn't there either. But Skyward Sword just rocked. Challenging combat, a great story, a lot of adventure, and better use of the motion controls. My only qualm about it is that your sidekick, Fi, is too helpful at times, taking some of the adventure experience away.

Xenoblade Chronicles - This is a MASSIVE RPG with AMAZING art direction, fun combat, and a fantastic story. it has some rough edges - some redundant sidequests and perhaps a bit of balance missing from the level system (enemies 6 or more levels greater than you will dodge everything you throw at them) but it's a must-play game for anyone. And it's got not one, but TWO great voice tracks!

Super Mario Galaxy / Galaxy 2 - I prefer the story, boss fights, and hub world setup of the former, and I prefer the actual stage design of the latter - but both are just a ton of fun. I basically consider them to be one loooong game. And did I mention how amazing the soundtrack is?

Okami - I'm gonna be honest here - I own the Wii version but I also own and prefer the PS3 HD version. So I won't get too into it. But this game is GREAT.

Honorable Mentions - The Last Story for its great charcters and action and Fragile Dreams. Also a LOT of great gamecube games to play on Wii IMO like Baten Kaitos and Tales of Symphonia. It also has a great virtual console library.

Favorite Wii U games:

Wind Waker HD - Hero mode off the bat, remastered amazing sountrack, gorgeous visuals, improved gameplay - but it`s still the Wind Waker at heart meaning it`s an amazing game.

Wonderful 101 - Amazing technical action, amazing script. Two amazing voice tracks. Amazing soundtrack. What more can I say? Controls take some getting adusted to though.

Super Mario 3D World - Probably a bit worse than Galaxy as a one-player experience, but absolutely blows Galaxy away as a 4-player chaos experiment.

Honorable Mentions - Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, plus Nintendo Land and Zombi U for their multiplayer. And a new Virtual Console addition - Earthbound!! A lot of games I'm really anticipating right now though for 2014: Watch_dogs, X (Monolith Soft), and Bayonetta 2 being a few!
post #3 of 18 Old 12-23-2013, 08:03 PM

Liked: 26
For me, these games are in a virtual tie for #1:

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Metroid Prime Trilogy

The SMG games rank among the greatest video games of all time, really. Superb. It is only because I love Metroid so much that the Trilogy is ranked up there. The Prime Trilogy is very different from SMG, but no less great (to me). Tastes vary, but these would be my picks.

So far Super Mario 3D World is the clear winner for me for best Wii U game. But I would rank it lower than the above 3 Wii games.
post #4 of 18 Old 12-27-2013, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
anyone else want to chime in or the two origional posters have any more favorites?
post #5 of 18 Old 12-28-2013, 07:28 PM

Liked: 14
My wife and I are "old school." The win (upstairs) has had countless hours spent on the Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition. Super Mario Bros. 1,2, and 3, plus the lost levels. The WiiU has seen the most hours spent on The New Super Mario Bros. U. She likes to grab a bottle of wine and relax...until we have to start working together to find hidden secrets/doors/etc. Definitely takes us back to those good old days.

I've been considering picking up the new 3rd Mario. Seem to be hearing a lot of good things about it.

Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH
Martin Logan Electromotion ESL front
Martin Logan Motion SLM surround and back
Martin Logan Dynamo 500
Polk Audio PSW505 (for a little extra boom)
Elite Screen 120"
Epson 8350
post #6 of 18 Old 12-30-2013, 09:04 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwatts81 View Post

My wife and I are "old school." The win (upstairs) has had countless hours spent on the Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition. Super Mario Bros. 1,2, and 3, plus the lost levels. The WiiU has seen the most hours spent on The New Super Mario Bros. U. She likes to grab a bottle of wine and relax...until we have to start working together to find hidden secrets/doors/etc. Definitely takes us back to those good old days.

I've been considering picking up the new 3rd Mario. Seem to be hearing a lot of good things about it.

My wife and I love playing the new 3D Mario. It is crazy good fun.

In terms of Wii/Wii U, hard to say as I just got my Wii U and only have Zelda and Mario 3D. But for Wii, The Mario Galaxy series, Metroid Prime, Smash Bros., but my favorite is probably Skyward Sword with Last Story close behind it. Great games that I played to death to get everything. I have Xenoblade and intend to finish it, but have not had time to really jump into it lately.

I did have Okami for Wii, and it is hands down an amazing game, but I had already played and beaten it on the PS2, so I never finished it on the Wii. I sold my PS3 before getting the HD version which I regret lol.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-30-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
My favorite Wii game hands down is Mario Galaxy 2. It's absolutely the pinnacle of 3D platforming. As good as Galaxy 1 was, Galaxy 2 cuts out the 5-10% of fat that you never even realized was there. The UI has been simplified and the hub world mostly done away with, which seem like losses at first but really just mean that you're spending less time navigating towards fun and more actually having fun. The slightly smaller, streamlined worlds work in the same way -- there's very little dead space. Practically any time you're moving the analog stick in Galaxy 2, you're experiencing sheer platforming bliss.

Similarly, Donkey Kong Country Returns is to 2D platformers what Galaxy 2 is to 3D platformers. It has yet to get any better. It's NES-hard and thanks to some clever effects and truly innovative design the levels feel more alive and dynamic than any other 2D platformer. NSMB Wii is what you want to have fun (and anger-fun) with a bunch of friends, but feels a bit empty and sterile in solo play. DKCR is what you want when you want challenging, intense solo platforming.

For my money, those are the two best games on Wii. But honorable mentions to:
-ExciteBots: Highly underrated and sold tragically poorly, this is a creative, truly bizarre racer that emphasizes points, style and crazy tricks over merely trying to come in first. Motion-control steering is airtight and feels great, and the online play is surprisingly robust. Mario Kart Wii practically felt like it came out of a can; this is the racer made by your weird little brother who's either going to grow up into a serial killer or an eccentric millionaire genius (or both). Or if it's too weird for you, try its less-weird predecessor, ExciteTruck.
-Punch-Out: Also slightly underrated, a fantastic follow-up to the NES/SNES games. The characters trade in the same kind of over-the-top stereotypes as the original, but it's all done with such character and style that it's charming and memorable instead of just offensive. Also, don't listen to the haters, the motion controls for punching work just fine. This ain't an easy game but I got halfway through the second, much harder portion of the game with motion controls alone.

Two more that aren't for everyone:
-No More Heroes: Charmingly rough-around-the-edges and thoroughly Japanese hack-and-slash game that, unlike many modern "cinematic" games, has no aspirations to be a movie and gleefully revels in being a videogame. It was one of the first games to realize that motion control may be better used sparingly, as punctuation rather than writing entire sentences -- basic sword control is done with buttons, but when it comes time to deal the finishing blow, time slows and you're invited to do a big, showy slash with your Wiimote, rewarding you with a fountain of blood and coins and weird, intentionally repetitive death cries like "my spleen!" Sure, you coulda done those finishing blows with a push of an analog stick (and I think that's what the PS3 version did) but this is missing the point; I think gamers in general underestimate how a big visceral swing of the arm can result in better immersion and engagement.
-Silent Hill: Shattered Memories: Basically what Heavy Rain should have been, this is an interactive story that isn't just a string of cutscenes and QTE events but instead tells a narrative that is made all the richer by being told as a game. It's also thoroughly creepy and makes you feel helpless, mostly because you can't fight your attackers at all -- when one shows up, your only choice is to run. Definitely not for novice gamers as about 50% of people are probably going to find the chase sequences incredibly frustrating. Still, I find the overall experience worth the journey. Sure, you can probably guess where the story is going, but after it's over you think about the ending a bit and realizes it recolors almost everything about the game.

As for Wii U games, well, there aren't a whole lot so far. But as I'm only a few worlds into Mario 3D World, I'm leaving my best-of-Wii-U vote to ZombiU. Again, not for everyone, as it's punishing and very unforgiving, and instills you with a sense of hopelessness and loneliness -- both in the game and real life! But it's goddamn thrilling once you get into the groove, and makes a better argument for the Gamepad's existence than any other game out there.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-04-2014, 03:28 AM

Liked: 10

Metroid Prime Trilogy because my father gave me first gift as this game.

post #9 of 18 Old 03-23-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 697
I'm actually pretty new to Wii and Wii U. So far Mario 3D World and Windwaker HD are really good. On the Wii Xenoblade and Mario Galaxy are standouts. Too bad the Wii looks terrible on my TV it looks the SNES literally grew up but didn't mature. I want to try Skyward Sword but don;t have the motion plus.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-23-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Which system are you playing your Wii games on? I rather doubt it since you're new to this you said, but if it's an actual Wii, give your Wii U backwards compatibility feature a try instead. On my tv, the Wii U does a far nicer job of upscaling my Wii games than my HDTV's internal scaler does if I hooked up my Wii to this same tv.
post #11 of 18 Old 03-24-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Which system are you playing your Wii games on? I rather doubt it since you're new to this you said, but if it's an actual Wii, give your Wii U backwards compatibility feature a try instead. On my tv, the Wii U does a far nicer job of upscaling my Wii games than my HDTV's internal scaler does if I hooked up my Wii to this same tv.

Regular old Wii. It looks awful. I didn't expect miracles over the composite connection though. Just for comparison I fired up Dolphin and a HUGE difference was shown.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-25-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Definitely give your Wii U's Wii mode a try. Outputting it via component or HDMI to your HDTV with the system itself handling the scaling instead of your tv (And starting with a 480p source in the case of many games like Super Mario Galaxy that were progressive scan capable instead of a 480i composite source like your HDTV's scaling chip is getting directly from your Wii) is going to make a world of difference I suspect for you.

You won't get Dolphin quality results since it's not rendering games in HD but rather is upscaling them, but it's convenient and will look much better than what you're experiencing with the original hardware. And there's even a transfer utility to move your saves and DLC over if you decide to continue games like Xenoblade on your Wii U.

Or if you continue with your original Wii, definitely invest the $5 or $10 for a component cable if possible so you're at least enjoying the picture advantages that component offers and have the option of outputting 480p in compatible games. Your tv might lack component connections or you might own a Wii Mini that is composite only, but if it's an option like it likely is, it's just about the best money that you could spend for your Wii enjoyment.

Composite out for the Wii to a HDTV basically equals to starting out with 1 arm tied behind your back.
post #13 of 18 Old 03-25-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Definitely give your Wii U's Wii mode a try. Outputting it via component or HDMI to your HDTV with the system itself handling the scaling instead of your tv (And starting with a 480p source in the case of many games like Super Mario Galaxy that were progressive scan capable instead of a 480i composite source like your HDTV's scaling chip is getting directly from your Wii) is going to make a world of difference I suspect for you.

You won't get Dolphin quality results since it's not rendering games in HD but rather is upscaling them, but it's convenient and will look much better than what you're experiencing with the original hardware. And there's even a transfer utility to move your saves and DLC over if you decide to continue games like Xenoblade on your Wii U.

Or if you continue with your original Wii, definitely invest the $5 or $10 for a component cable if possible so you're at least enjoying the picture advantages that component offers and have the option of outputting 480p in compatible games. Your tv might lack component connections or you might own a Wii Mini that is composite only, but if it's an option like it likely is, it's just about the best money that you could spend for your Wii enjoyment.

Composite out for the Wii to a HDTV basically equals to starting out with 1 arm tied behind your back.

I have the cable on the way. I keep the Wii in my office and I'll make due. It's not a mini but just the regular one.
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-25-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Be sure to enable 480p in the Wii's system menu when it arrives. smile.gif
post #15 of 18 Old 03-26-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Be sure to enable 480p in the Wii's system menu when it arrives. smile.gif

Fo shizzle.
post #16 of 18 Old 03-26-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

post #17 of 18 Old 03-26-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Oh yeah it does. It's like wiping a huge layer of dust off your TV.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-27-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Oh yeah it does. It's like wiping a huge layer of dust off your TV.

I remember way back I plugged my Wii into my AVR and it upconverted and it looked really good as well.
Reply Nintendo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page