post #31 of 60 Old 02-01-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

May be beloved, but that is BS that the "majority" of Zelda fans rank it above OoT. Even MM is ranked above it by a lot of fans, and OoT is definitely considered the ebst Zelda game by the majority.

Again, this is what I said. I believe the evidence and most fans that are familiar with this series would agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

When best Zelda's are discussed, Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are usually in contention for the top spot by a wide margin with a healthy minority that swear by Link's Awakening [And the original probably would hold the #4 spot if you were to poll a representative group of Zelda fans].

And I'm not trying to take anything away from Ocarina of Time. Rather, what I've said is that it isn't held in much higher regard than Link to the Past. Anyone that pays any attention would agree and evidence such as Metacritic also supports that. It's always a close race between the two for most Zelda fans and most other titles like recent 3D entries aren't anywhere close to being in contention.

Anyways, that's the last I'll say on the matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 02-01-2014, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Metacritic rated by "relevancy" is NOT more relevant than other sites. Again, I showed you that alttp is nowhere near the first page of best games according to gamerankings, which also used SCORES to determine it. All you did was link to a site where it showed OoT was a 99 and alttp was a 95 and claimed that means metacritic "agrees" that alttp is as good or better. You can throw in those cheap insults implying I don't know anything all you want, but most of you were probably not even born when I first played alttp. And basically you're saying because people who never played them until now think alttp is better (the average score showed OoT is rated higher, so whatever) it makes it true. Besides even with that ranking on there alttp was BELOW Oot even there.
post #33 of 60 Old 02-01-2014, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

what's funny is the link he gave, which he keeps claiming proves alttp is on the same level does not even have alttp in the TOP TEN Zelda games. lol So even his own link where he claims metacritic "agrees", it's listed way below practically every Zelda game. ANd that's the GBA alttp. lol. The snes one is down below like 20 games. And this is whether you rank them by score or relevancy, so how that link proved his point beats me. lol
post #34 of 60 Old 02-01-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

That sure stings when you talk about the other guy in the 3rd person. wink.gif

I wasn't going to respond, but I guess I will one last time.
Quote:

All you did was link to a site where it showed OoT was a 99 and alttp was a 95

Metacritic has no entries for releases that predate its existence. If you had spent any time at that link, you'd of seen that. So there's no way to compare the two in their original form on their original platforms with reviews from their original launches since Link to the Past dates to over 20 years ago. The best you can do is compare the user ratings for their unchanged Virtual Console releases on the Wii or the averages for the GBA release of Link to the Past and the 3DS release of Ocarina of Time. Link to the Past wins out in both areas which was one of the key things I had hoped you'd of picked up on when directed there.

As for Gamerankings, I just checked and indeed Ocarina of Time has the lead. But I never said that Ocarina of Time wasn't the best Zelda, just that it was a close fight. And the sample size is pitifully small here (15 votes for Link to the Past for instance) for this to reflect anything with any accuracy. Let's use a site I detest but which has a huge audience and that's GameFaqs.

Link to the Past in its original form has a reader review average of 9.5 based off 75 reviews and a rating average of 9.2 from 3653 users. Ocarina of Time in its original form has a reader review average of 9.0 based off 135 reviews and a rating average of 9.3 from 6023 users. And I should note that GameFaqs skews towards younger audiences which tend to prefer modern releases over classic releases and 3D games over 2D.

Like I said, it's a close fight with these two typically holding a large lead over any other entry in the franchise when this subject arises. You can continue to act like it's all but a fact that Ocarina of Time is widely held as vastly superior to Link to the Past, but that's not a reflection of reality. It's always been a grudge match since October 1998 between these two.
post #35 of 60 Old 02-02-2014, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

I still can't decide whether or not to buy back a 3DS XL and the newest Zelda game. I still don't see how it's rated so good with people claiming it's too easy, though.
post #36 of 60 Old 02-02-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Link you gave listed OoT as a 99 and alttp as a 95

Sherlock, the link I gave didn't even include a corresponding entry for A Link to the Past. As I already clearly stated, Metacritic doesn't have entries for 1991 releases but apparently that's still going over your head. The only Metacritic entry with a average of professional reviews for LttP is its 2002 Game Boy Advance port.

You have to compare apples to apples or oranges to oranges. That means comparing their later handheld releases with each other (or their Wii Virtual Console releases if you accept reader scores) since there is no Metacritic data for the original Link to the Past. There's not a shred of logic comparing reviews from 1998 for a game that came out in 1998 to reviews from 2002/2003 for a game that was created well over a decade earlier.

This should be common sense...
Quote:

What are you even smoking, anyway? Even if you click them and look at the USER ratings, OoT has a 9.3 and alttp has a freakin 8.9.

No, the question is what have you been on all these years.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588436-the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past

http://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/197771-the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time

Quote:

OoT is rated ahead of alltp on the very site you're suing to "checkmate" me into claiming alttp is rated ABOVE. You didn't simply say they are both great games, you kept insisting that alttp is above OoT. And notice the snes alttp isn't even on there and so you can't claim a GBA game is above it anyway, as the game was changed around. Wasn't there even a whole new level in the GBA one???

The very site I linked to doesn't even have a corresponding entry for Link to the Past that would allow for direct comparisons to Ocarina of Time's 1998 release.

And I never insisted anything of the sort. Frankly, I think I'm one of the rare fans that loves them both pretty much equally. If I had to pick one, I'd only select Link to the Past if forced because I experienced it first and in many ways, Ocarina of Time is Link to the Past in 3D.
post #37 of 60 Old 02-02-2014, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

lol. I knew you were doing something fishy. SO now we're supposed to toss out OoT and use it's 3ds version instead. lol
post #38 of 60 Old 02-02-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Exactly how is that not reasonable or been a sudden revelation for you?

You know full well what you've been doing since despite critical acclaim for a game, obviously it's still not going to be quite seen as perfection like it once was many years after its original release thanks to the passage of time. If you want to reference the handheld GBA version from well over a decade after its original release for review scores such as from Metacritic, it only seems fair to also reference the most comparable counterpart for Ocarina of Time.

But then that wouldn't show perfect 10's against mere 9's.
post #39 of 60 Old 02-02-2014, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

A 3D game being remade for a handheld is not the same as a port of a 2D one. No 3D game is going to be considered as great on a handheld. And also people of current times like bashing anything popular, so they automatically go against the top dogs, such as OoT.
post #40 of 60 Old 02-02-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I think you lost everyone with that one. Why is a 2D console game ported to a handheld many years later a completely different situation than a 3D console game under similar circumstances?

They both have their share of improvements, missteps (like adding sound samples to Link), enhancements, added content, adjustments, etc.

It's a much more logical basis for comparison than what you've been doing.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 10-14-2014 at 11:23 PM.
post #41 of 60 Old 02-03-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
People putting this much stock in review scores is giving me a headache. I know there's not really any other concrete metric you could use, but still. In any case, it is patently absurd to argue that LTTP is not at least close to as popular as OOT. If nothing else, it has several years' worth of additional nostalgia behind it, it's more accessible/easier to play, and 2D sprite graphics tend to age better than 3D polygonal graphics. Not to mention they of course just released a super popular, super well-reviewed new Zelda game where one of the main selling points is that it uses the same map as LTTP. Think about that, they reused an entire game world and were PRAISED for that decision instead of being assailed with accusations of being "lazy" and "recycling." That should speak volumes for how hallowed a game LTTP is.

It's also of course ridiculous to write off 2D games or portable games entirely as incapable of being the best. Not everyone is legally blind and has trouble squinting at portable-sized graphics on portable-sized screens, Basher, it would do you well to step outside your own damn head now and again. And I don't know if you've noticed, but there's been somewhat of a 2D/sprite graphics revival in gaming for oh, the last 10 ****ing years or so.
jhoff80 and Leo_Ames like this.
post #42 of 60 Old 02-07-2014, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

I'm, surprised nobody has said wind waker is the definite best Zelda game, according to most Zelda fans. Because a few on the fringe say it so often that it would look to be true if you base it on forum comments. Wind Waker has all the flaws that Zelda fans complain about most, such as being too easy, too short, not realistic graphics, etc. Still fun, but at least 5 better Zelda games.
post #43 of 60 Old 02-07-2014, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any suggestions for playing GB games on a tv? I see there are multiple consoles you can buy, now, which can play nes, snes, genesis, and GB/GBC/GBA games all on the same console. But so far I've only seen ones which connect with composite cables. I am using pro-111FD elites right now and I don't have room to be using composite, I believe, so would be better to have it already using hdmi (using converters and whatnot would be a headache and waste of money). Or I could try to find my composite GC cable and use that, but I hate to plug in a GC just for game boy player when I already have the wii for gamecube games.
post #44 of 60 Old 02-07-2014, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the Nintendo selects version of TP fixed the saving bug? Good thing I just read about it again because I am playing TP after WW and if I ahd forgotten, I could screw myself over. Guess it's not worth buying a new copy, though, anyway, just need to remember don't save in a cave.
post #45 of 60 Old 02-07-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

And, btw, reading on forums you'd think TP was a mediocre game, too, but it's rated well above skyward sword where it counts.... ratings on Amazon.
post #46 of 60 Old 02-07-2014, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Whoopee, a whole ONE new VC release this week. How does Nintendo keep from getting exhausted with all the work they do, releasing ONE old game, at most, which needs nothing even done to it other than making it compatible?
post #47 of 60 Old 02-09-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

For anyone who cares, on Groupon you can buy one pro commander shipped for about $16 or if you buy two or three, they are $13 each, shipped. On Amazon they are $16, but OOS. People say Groupon is so slow it takes several weeks to get anything from them, but I ordered one anyway. I hate to keep buying things and am not so sure I would use it, but I guess if I change my mind I could find someone to buy it from me. One thing's for sure... I am constantly pressing the wrong buttons on the official wii u pro controller.
post #48 of 60 Old 02-10-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/222082-esrb-lists-arcade-version-of-solomon-s-key-for-wii-u-3ds

The ESRB appears to have revised its entry for the arcade version of Solomon's Key to cover the 3DS and Wii U.

Hopefully this is a second chance after the extremely disappointing arcade lineup on the original Wii service for North America (If we count the NeoGeo separately which fared pretty well). At the very least, I hope some of the nice arcade releases that didn't make it out of Japan on the Wii last time pop up now like Mr. Do.

Edit: And the arcade entries for Ninja Gaiden and Tecmo Bowl include the 3DS now I just discovered. Spot checks of entries for Sega/Namco/Capcom releases that were on the Wii Virtual Console Arcade don't reveal any changes that I've spotted (I checked Mappy, Commando, and Space Harrier).
post #49 of 60 Old 02-13-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

This forum is getting more boring than the VC release slate. Nobody talks about much and nobody adds friend codes like the wii people did.

I have a top loading NES here. I should have just been playing that and not wasted money on all the VC releases for wii. Also how dumb that Nintendo ahs separate point totals for wii and wii u where I can't use remaining wii points in the wii u shop.
post #50 of 60 Old 02-13-2014, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

I see, contrary to people here's claims, people DO think the release schedule is too slow. People commenting on IGN mentioned it. And really, think about it, at the rate they add VC games, it would take them over TEN YEARS to even get all NES games added, let alone other consoles' games.
post #51 of 60 Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 PM

Liked: 10
So, are there a bunch of games on your list that you want to see converted so that you can buy them? Or do you want more games converted so that you'll have more of a selection to ignore?
post #52 of 60 Old 04-02-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

At least April will have an interesting lineup. Confirmed releases include 8 GBA titles to kick off that platform on the Wii U Virtual Console and Super Mario Brothers 3 for the NES will be making its long awaited appearance. The GBA titles are the following...

Advance Wars
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Metroid Fusion
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Golden Sun
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3

F-Zero will be a buy since I never bought any of the GBA releases (I hope the following two follow down the road). Not sure what else although I'm sure Yoshi's Island and Metroid Fusion will likely get rebought by me here eventually. Mario & Luigi: SuperStar Saga is still unplayed in original GBA form by me so I'll have to fire up that cartridge one of these days.

Hope they launch the N64 section sometime this year (And Pilotwings 64 finally makes its way out... the only 1st party N64 release that didn't already appear on the Wii that I'd likely rebuy for $10).
post #53 of 60 Old 04-04-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

If anyone grabs Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga (The original cart still sits in my backlog so I definitely won't be buying it at this time), I'm curious if it features controller rumble. It's one of a handful of Game Boy Advance titles that incorporated controller rumble when played on a Game Boy Player with a rumble capable GameCube controller.

Nintendo doesn't usually go all out with these things, so I doubt it. But it would neat if they didn't forget this for this game, the Super Mario Bros. 3 port (Which will certainly appear here eventually to get the All-Stars remake of it out on the Virtual Console... and hopefully they remember the e-reader add-ons when they do), and anything else that may of incorporated it.

Also, I see they finally are including manual scans with these GBA titles. That should've been a standard feature from day 1 on the Virtual Console, but better late than never, I suppose.
post #54 of 60 Old 04-04-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw Castlevania Aria of Sorrow is set to hit the Wii U VC at some point in the future, may have to bite on that one as it's one of my favorite "Metroidvania" style games ever. No other game of its type has ever quite as well nailed the feeling of progressing from a weakling at the start of the game to an unstoppable god by the end.
post #55 of 60 Old 04-05-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I found a post from someone that says Mario & Luigi lacks rumble in its Wii U form.

It's hardly a shock nor a real problem, but it still would've been nice to see Nintendo go the extra mile for something that surely would've been easy to implement even with the small amount of content that would ever actually utilize it. With M2's attention to detail, I'm surprised they didn't account for it (They're the developer handling GBA emulation for Nintendo).

I'd like to see the first GBA Castlevania release here. I bought the double pack rerelease late in the GBA's life that combined the later two games onto a single cartridge, but never played the first of the three (Nor the later DS entries which hopefully make their way here when they start releasing DS titles).

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 10-14-2014 at 11:29 PM.
post #56 of 60 Old 04-05-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I played the other GBA Castlevanias, but Aria of Sorrow is the best one by far. The DS follow-up was pretty good too but didn't quite match it (though part of that may have been the switchover to a generic-anime artstyle).

Hm, now I'm thinking of just digging up my GBA and the cartridge and playing it that way instead.
post #57 of 60 Old 10-13-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

The GBA Castlevanias are all being rolled out this month.

And in news that many fans will be pleased with, Nintendo's reintroducing the Donkey Kong Country trilogy from the Super Nintendo to the Wii U Virtual Console. Europe is set to get all three this month.

And that means that North American releases surely can't be too far behind (Although they sure made us wait a while to get Super Mario Bros. 3, so it conceivably not be until early next year sometime).

I'll finally right an old wrong and buy these. Skipped them on the SuperNes, skipped them on the Game Boy Advance, and skipped them on the Wii Virtual Console.

Always was something else catching my eye ahead of them.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 10-14-2014 at 11:22 PM.
post #58 of 60 Old 10-26-2014, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
selections are still slim pickins in my opinion...
Leo_Ames likes this.
post #59 of 60 Old 11-13-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

This one is kind of falling through the cracks, but Nintendo released Mario Kart: Super Circuit today for the Wii U Virtual Console.

Hopefully they roll out their other announced platforms soon and celebrate DLC Pack 2's release next spring by launching Mario Kart 64 or Mario Kart DS.
post #60 of 60 Old Today, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 559
I picked up Pokemon TCG for the 3DS VC, no way I could pass up supporting that one and the possibility of a proper followup.
Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page