VC Releases - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
post #91 of 103 Old 07-15-2015, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
I own several classic controllers and VC games, so I am aware that it works fine.
You should've told him what he needed to do to get his Wiimote working with this then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
I personally am not fond of the GameCube controller for VC games because it really only works well for N64 games VC-wise.
While I agree about its suitability for the Virtual Console (Good for N64 downloads, but not my preferred controller for other platforms on there), it's still a solid suggestion for him.

He already has the Wii U gamepad and a Pro Controller, so he's looking for an option for a 3rd player. On the Wii U Virtual Console, that means that it will be a N64 download since no NES or SNES games here offered more than 2 person multiplayer with the current offerings.

This option is ideal for N64 titles (And also works well for filling out a multiplayer roster on Wii U games like Mario Kart 8 as well), it's cheaper than a full Pro Controller, and it offers turbo capabilities and Wii mode compatibility.

He didn't mention the desire for either of those last two features, but they still could potentially be useful for him.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 07-15-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 Old 07-15-2015, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 137
There's always the plain-old Classic Controller Pro...
post #93 of 103 Old 07-15-2015, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Obviously

I merely recommended a Classic Controller alternative that can easily be bought new and which I feel is particularly well suited for N64 downloads off either of the Virtual Consoles on the Wii U.

If he wants a Classic Controller Pro at this point, he's likely going to have to settle for used. And like I said, cheap counterfeits have sprung up in recent years, leaving the risk that such a purchase isn't going to be the genuine deal.

If you buy a CCP, Fargus777, I suggest doing a bit of research. Either with the feedback of the online seller that you're dealing with, or if buying in person, the telltale signs to look for to discern if it's the real deal or just a knock-off that looks the part.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 07-15-2015 at 07:06 PM.
post #94 of 103 Old 07-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Derp, I was mistaken - it's only the original non-pro classic controller that can still be bought new:
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/brows...tId=prod590099
post #95 of 103 Old 07-15-2015, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

While that works, he should be made aware that it's not such a great option for N64 games. It's nice for titles that rely on the d-pad, but I've never been too fond of it for those that need analog control.

A feeling that apparently was shared by many, judging by how Nintendo ultimately evolved that design to more closely resemble modern gamepads instead of the SuperNes controller that it obviously took its inspiration from.

But like I've said several times already, the Classic Controller Pro is out of production these days. Stock seemed to have disappeared during the course of 2013 and has never been replenished.

That's part of the appeal of that Hori option. It's still being produced and can easily be bought new online without any concerns.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 07-15-2015 at 07:46 PM.
post #96 of 103 Old 07-15-2015, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

That's why I originally mentioned the CCpro - I felt it was the best balance between Dpad-heavy and analog-stick heavy games outside of the Pro controller.
post #97 of 103 Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have both the classic controller pro and the new Hori Battle Pad. They're both good, I prefer the Hori for N64, MK8, etc. It feels really good to use, as close to a GameCube controller as you can get without actually using one. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing another one when they were like $17 on Amazon. Still reasonable at $22/$23, but still...
post #98 of 103 Old Today, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
For N64 VC games, I use the original N64 controller and this: http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products...mote/index.php
You have a lot of cord wound up next to you, but it works fine.
Downside: You have to map a few buttons with the Wii U. The Wii was pretty much plug and play.
Other downside: It's roughly $27.

To me, it was worth the $. I already had 4 N64 controllers in very good condition.

Panasonic 50" Plasma 3D Smart TV

Panasonic Blu-Ray 3D Smart Player

Built HTPC/Gaming PC (i7 860, SSD, GTX 660 Ti+), Xbox 360, Wii, N64, NES

Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

post #99 of 103 Old Today, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
The Wii remote is supported, but just like with the original Wii Virtual Console, you're going to have to plug in a Wii Classic Controller into it in order to use it. Sideways Wiimote and Wiimote/Nunchuck combinations aren't allowed for Wii U N64 downloads, even if it would work just fine for some games.

If you want a recommendation, I've been enjoying revisiting Paper Mario, Ocarina of Time, and Super Mario 64 on my Wii U with this 3rd party Classic Controller equivalent that I bought early this year. Also works well with Wii mode Virtual Console downloads of titles like Wave Race 64, which is yet to appear on the Wii U proper (Something that a Wii U Pro Controller can't do).

This officially licensed controller appeared last Fall from well liked 3rd party controller manufacturer, Hori. It's a good fit for N64 games, can easily be found new, and will only run $20-$25 (Half that of a Wii U Pro Controller).

If you buy an official Nintendo Classic Controller Pro these days, you run the risk of ending up with a cheap counterfeit. The real deal is out of print, leaving you without the option of buying it new from a source that is assured of being safe.

Cheap knock-offs are even happening with Wii U Pro Controllers these days (Essentially the Wii U successor to the Wii's Classic Controller Pro). So if you buy a Wii U Pro Controller, make sure to buy it at a reputable retailer that isn't going to be peddling counterfeits like you might end up with off eBay, buying used at GameStop, or from a 3rd party Amazon seller.

Best off buying it new from a chain like Wal-Mart, GameStop, etc.
Is this the same one you pictured?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/PDP-Wired-...Wii-U/40549467

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #100 of 103 Unread Today, 11:23 AM

No, that's a different one. You want the Hori Battle Pad, Walmart doesn't seem to have them. See this link, top 4 are Hori:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ttle+pad+wii+u
post #101 of 103 Unread Today, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL View Post
No, that's a different one. You want the Hori Battle Pad, Walmart doesn't seem to have them. See this link, top 4 are Hori:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ttle+pad+wii+u
ordered. thanks! And Im just going to plug this into the bottom of the wii remote?

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #102 of 103 Unread Today, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus777 View Post
ordered. thanks! And Im just going to plug this into the bottom of the wii remote?
Yup, it is viewed the same by the Wii / Wii U as a classic controller.
post #103 of 103 Unread Today, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moej View Post
Downside: You have to map a few buttons with the Wii U. The Wii was pretty much plug and play.
Other downside: It's roughly $27.
While I don't find the thought of using original N64 controllers appealing, given the lack of longevity with their analog stick, I would think that this would be best on the Wii U.

N64 games on the Wii and likely also the Wii U did some reconfiguration of their controls to best adapt them to something like the GameCube controller.

But unlike on the Wii, you can customize it on the Wii U to be a 1:1 match for the original layout on the N64.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Nintendo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page